RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

NFL Draft: On the Road With Phil Loadholt

By Ed Thompson
    Scout.com Senior NFL Analyst
    Posted Apr 21, 2009

NFL Draft: On the Road With Phil Loadholt-loadholt.jpg NFL Draft: On the Road With Phil Loadholt-loadholtnorakpo.jpg

Some lucky NFL team is going to add a talented, 6-foot-8 offensive tackle to their roster this weekend by the name of Phil Loadholt. Scout.com's Ed Thompson caught up former Oklahoma Sooners star this week to get his thoughts on his NFL visits and workouts.

Former Oklahoma offensive tackle Phil Loadholt is looking forward to a change-of-pace NFL Draft weekend after a very busy schedule of visits and workouts.

"I'm going to be at home with my family and relatives," he said. "I'm going to relax and take it all in."

The 6-foot-8, 332-pound lineman shouldn't have to wait very long to hear his name called, especially if his recent activity is reflective of the level of interest from NFL teams. He worked out for the Atlanta Falcons, Cleveland Browns, Chicago Bears and St. Louis Rams. And he had visits with the Minnesota Vikings, Pitsburgh Steelers, Oakland Raiders and the Baltimore Ravens.

"A lot of teams have told me that they're really impressed with how I run-block and the way I finish in the passing game as well. They think I can play both right and left tackle," he said during an exclusive interview.
    When Loadholt visited the Vikings, he walked into a situation that was very different from what he experienced with the other three teams.

"There were about 30 people out there and I didn't realize they did it like that, so I was surprised," he said. "But it was really well-organized. We got on the board, I spoke with the offensive line coaches, Coach (Brad) Childress and the GM for a while."

During the NFL Scouting Combine, Loadholt had an opportunity to meet with Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin, and the pair got reacquainted during his Pittsburgh visit.

"He talked to me about the kinds of players they have out there in Pittsburgh. They have passionate players who love the game and who want to work hard every day," Loadholt said. "We talked a bit about him and the staff there, and what they expect from players and rookies coming in."

During the lineman's visit to Baltimore, head coach John Harbaugh struck Loadholt as "a players' coach" and a person who had great passion for the game. The thought of practicing daily against a stout defense like the one the Ravens have put on the field year after year was exciting for the future rookie.

"It would be a dream come true to practice against one of the best defenses in the league." he said. "I think that would be the best way to prepare to play in the NFL. It would be a great opportunity."

In Oakland, Loadholt was told that he could play on either side of the offensive line for the Raiders—and that they saw him as a player who could come in and have a real impact. He also got a sneak peek at what it will be like to be working for an NFL club.

"The Oakland visit was a bit unique in that I got to watch some OTA practice and got the opportunity to watch the O-Line go through some drills," he said. "I got on the board, watched some film. It was a really fun visit."

Where Phil Loadholt will end up after NFL Draft weekend is anyone's guess. But the team that selects him is going to have a mountain of a man who has shown tremendous potential for a very successful NFL career.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-21-2009 at 10:47 PM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: NFL Draft: On the Road With Phil Loadholt

If we felt confident that we could land either him or Britton in the second round, I would not feel bad at all about taking either Curry or even Crabtree with our second pick. In some ways, that would almost make me feel safer, as I don't think we can really miss with either of those players, and I would rather take a right tackle anyway, as Barron should be able to handle the left.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I have a hard time seeing how the Rams take Loadholt with two off-the-field incidents in his history, but I think he's a guy who has the potential to be a very good right tackle in a couple of years. I wouldn't be surprised to see him taken as high as Minnesota, as they may feel better about his long-term potential than they do a guy like Britton. He'd certainly be interesting options for teams like New England, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh at the bottom of round one as well. I don't think he's a left tackle at the NFL level, though.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I think he could be an excellent RT in this league. Lets say the Rams go with Curry or Sanchez with the second pick. I have a tough time seeing a tackle being available at 35 that fits what we want to do as much as Loadholt, who would immediately start at RT.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I have a hard time seeing how the Rams take Loadholt with two off-the-field incidents in his history, but I think he's a guy who has the potential to be a very good right tackle in a couple of years. I wouldn't be surprised to see him taken as high as Minnesota, as they may feel better about his long-term potential than they do a guy like Britton. He'd certainly be interesting options for teams like New England, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh at the bottom of round one as well. I don't think he's a left tackle at the NFL level, though.
    Would you compare him to a poor mans Alex Barron, I don't know why... but every time I see him, that's who I think about. I don't know if it's the size, the build, or the mechanics, but something about him always draws me to think he's another Alex Barron.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Nick here is Billy Devaney answering this exact question in the chat today:

Billy Devaney:
    BILLY'S ANSWER: I'm glad you brought this up. When it comes to character concerns, or character issues, we go case by case. If a 19_ or 20-year-old college kid makes a dumb mistake, we're certainly not going to hold that against him. The zero tolerance comes into play if they've been convicted of doing something illegal. Or they've been involved illegal substances.

As for Loadholts off field issues the only ones I have heard of are minor.

Here is a scouting report on his character:
    Character: Loadholt had two off-field issues (suspicion of DUI/disorderly conduct) that could be character concerns. He has responded to tough coaching at Oklahoma and neither staff at OU or at Garden City has anything bad to say about him. He is still maturing off the field and is not a problem on the field.

Here is what they said about his one suspicion of DUI:
    He was suspended for the season opener after he was arrested in June for suspicion of driving under the influence and transporting an open beer can.

I really think if we are going to call him a bad character because of this we need to all look in the mirror because I am sure most of us from 18-22 had character flaws by this definition.

SoCoPhil is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Would you compare him to a poor mans Alex Barron, I don't know why... but every time I see him, that's who I think about. I don't know if it's the size, the build, or the mechanics, but something about him always draws me to think he's another Alex Barron.
    I don't think he's anything like Alex Barron. Barron's footwork was highly touted, Loadholt's appears to be a weak point. Barron is a better pass blocker, Loadholt is a better run blocker. I think Barron at LT and Loadholt at RT would be a pretty solid combo. The only thing that worries me is Loadholt played LT in college and might have some learning to do at the right side. First post btw!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Welcome SoCo!

That's pretty much exactly how I see the situation as well. I think that if we truely want to give Barron the chance at LT, which he's already kind of proven himself at, then we're looking for a right tackle, and Loadholt seems perfect for that right side, strong side role, where he can have TE or RB bump help on the pass rush, and where he can maul the DE's back in the run game.