Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: NFL Free Agents: Rams Prepared To Lose Brandon Lloyd

eldfan is offline Registered User

NFL Free Agents: Rams Prepared To Lose Brandon Lloyd

NFL Free Agents: Rams Prepared To Lose Brandon Lloyd
    by Ryan Van Bibber on Jan 9, 2012 9:26 AM CST

Josh McDaniels is gone, another ghost of a failed past exorcised from Rams Park. Like most things, letting McDaniels walk away is not as simple as it sounds. His loss will have an impact on the St. Louis Rams' roster, at a position where the teams has been hurting for a long time.

As reported earlier, as the palace walls collapsed, Rams free agent wide receiver Brandon Lloyd is likely to follow McDaniels to New England. Lloyd has said as much himself, citing a certain loyalty to the coach who plucked him from obscurity. Lloyd's departure leaves the Rams without the best receiver they've had on the roster since the end the ignominious jettisoning of Torry Holt.

The Rams traded for Lloyd at the October deadline, a last ditch effort to add some talent at the position, something the last regime failed to do in what might have been its most fatal mistake. They gave up a fifth round pick for Lloyd, who caught 51 passes for 683 yards and five touchdowns in 11 games with the Rams.

So the Rams will be back at square one during the offseason, frantically searching again for help at the wide receiver position. They could franchise Lloyd, but the tag for a receiver will be somewhere in the $9 million range, eating away almost all of the projected $10 million in cap space the team will have. The crazied armchair GMs on Twitter may have already figured out a way to bolster the Rams cap to thrice that number, but I can assure you it's not that easy.

The draft will be key, and trading down from their second pick gives the Rams a couple more chances in the draft to find some help. They might also check around the free agent market, but that carries significant cap costs that rookies don't thanks to the new wage scale.

There is one silver lining in the Rams rental of Lloyd; they will receive supplemental draft pick if he signs elsewhere, which he most assuredly will. Where that pick is depends on the size of the deal Lloyd signs. The compensatory pick will also depend on what the Rams do in free agency. If they sign anyone big, that drops their return for losing Lloyd. All eyes will be on the Patriots when free agency starts to see if they do indeed pursue Lloyd. Remember, they also have to make a decision about Wes Welker, who won't come cheaply.

:ramlogo:

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: NFL Free Agents: Rams Prepared To Lose Brandon Lloyd

he`ll sign with the Pats at a bargain price (so he can be with lil Joshua again and in his mind get a chance at a ring)
    so we won't get anything high in compensatory pics as usual whilst teams like the Pats get loads.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think he can still be had, but I never wanted him for a big price tag he's too old. My FA short list for WR in this order.

Marques Colston (NO) - When healthy, Colston is a match-up nightmare for any corner. He's an incredibly physical receiver and a sure-handed, polished route runner. When he's available, he brings another dimension to the Saints offense that none of their other talented weapons possess. Though Brees has proven capable of running the offense without him, they're even more dangerous with him.
    Vincent Jackson (SD) - Partially due to his actions and injuries, the Chargers have been reluctant to sign Vincent Jackson to a long-term extension. If there's any animosity between the two parties, this could be the time where there's a split. Still, the best guess is that the team will pay Jackson like a number one receiver and keep him in San Diego.
    Dwayne Bowe (KC) - One subpar season aside, Dwayne Bowe has emerged into the number one receiver the offense needs. He's a big body and a good route runner with a large catching radius. His most impressive attribute is his body of work around the goal line. He's a complete mismatch with the fade, slant, and back shoulder passes and has shown the propensity to make the acrobatic catches on numerous occasions.
    Reggie Wayne (IND) - The Colts are an organization that tends to take care of their own. Though they're in a precarious position after signing Manning long term and with Robert Mathis looking for his own deal, the Colts will have to make room. On the bright side, the new CBA couldn't have come at a better time for the Colts who would have been due to dole out a large sum for a potentially high draft pick.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

I wouldn't be so fast to say Lloyd would be off to New England. It seems all the talk around here seems to have Belichick very high on a player like Deshawn Jackson instead. Because he can return punts with the best of them and be the deep threat they would love to have.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

I hear rumblings that Lloyd likes the new coach hire, i would agree with jerseyramsfan that i wouldnt be so fast to the conclusion that Lloyd is gone on these two fronts.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I bet he stays. I dont know why people were so quick to write him off. Hes not guaranteed to always land on the same team as McMoron.

I'm thinking Lloyd stays. We draft Blackmon. And Bradford has a Stafford type year eclipsing 5k and 40+ TD's. He will finally have great weapons. Blackmon/Lloyd/Amendola trio would be a top 3 in the NFL for sure! One off season we can suddenly go from having almost no weapons to being one of the most filled. If Kendricks can go into the mode he was in during pre season, and Salas continues to back up Amendola solidly, and we retain Lloyd and take Blackmon, Bradford should be heading to his first pro bowl.