Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rNemesis

Thread: NFL Network talks about WR steals

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

NFL Network talks about WR steals

I know there is alot of talk about us not taking a WR in the 1st round. NFL Network talks about some gems in the later round. I don't know how to post the video so here is the link.

NFL Videos: Draft steals

I found it some what interesting since all the talk is that Green and Jones are going to be gone by the 14th pick.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: NFL Network talks about WR steals

The problem I see with these players is that they are not #1's and selecting any of them would be adding to our stockpile of roster WR's. If we aren't able to get Jones or Green I think we'll be forced to sign a true #1 in FA like Sidney Rice.

Of course Steeler fans will point to Mike Wallace who was taken in round 3 and say he wasn't a true #1 either but of course the Steelers had Hines Ward on their roster already. We may wind up taking one of these players to experiment but it's a risk, as you can say for almost any pick.

Go Rams!

LArams1987 is offline Registered User

its just a matter if the 2 big men (Green or Jones) falls to 14. theres no way you trade up to get them, look at our past two 2nd round picks: Laurinaitis, Saffold. if Jones is available at 14 of course pick him but we have other needs that need to be addressed if he isnt there like DT, DE, OLB, S, RB.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Yeah, I agree. Way too many needs to be trading draft picks for one of these guys, and let me tell you something else that may never have been mentioned. When you're rebuilding a team, as we are currently in the middle of, the last thing you want to do is take risks that backfire and cause your team to be setback a bit. You wanna go full steam ahead. I think you take risks like that when your team is in great position both skillwise as well as financially.
    ZiaRam likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rNemesis View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Way too many needs to be trading draft picks for one of these guys, and let me tell you something else that may never have been mentioned. When you're rebuilding a team, as we are currently in the middle of, the last thing you want to do is take risks that backfire and cause your team to be setback a bit. You wanna go full steam ahead. I think you take risks like that when your team is in great position both skillwise as well as financially.
    great post!
    Honestly since the two big WR wont be there I'd prefer to move back, pick up some more quality picks and stack our team! Plenty of quality players we could aquire in the end of round 1, and all of rounds 2 and 3. Who knows tho maybe the FO feels comfortable with one player at 14 or can't get any great offers to trade back. We shall see, I'm getting excited and it's not even April yet!!!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

If some of those guys are still available by say the 4th round, the risk would be pretty minimal. In the early rounds, you really expect to be finding guys who can start for you, but by about the third day of the draft, you're just looking for guys who can contribute. And if you're really lucky, maybe you do find that Mike Williams (the one from Syracuse) who can become an instant starter.

Thoughts on some of the guys in the video:

Ricardo Lockette - A project at best. He has the triangle numbers but apparently inconsistent hands and wasn't very productive on the football field in Division II. Strikes me as a track guy first and football player second.

Greg Salas - I like his size and productivity. I know Hawaii throws the ball a lot, but you still have to have decent hands to catch 119 passes in a season. Unfortunately, lack of speed probably limits him to a role player.

Edmond Gates - Looks really lean and lanky. Raw prospect that seems mostly to excite people because of his speed.

Greg Little - Interesting possibility if he's still there in the fourth. Character is questionable; top speed isn't great, but it's easier to forgive a receiver for a mediocre 40 when he's 6'3", 230 lbs. and a talented football player.

Randall Cobb - Will probably be taken in the second round. Could potentially be used as third down back in addition to receiving responsibilities, but unfortunately probably not true starter material, which could make it hard for us to justify taking him for the reasons mentioned earlier in the thread.

richtree is offline Registered User

Lockette is kick return guy that can help only in 4 WR sets and trick play type formations.

Salas is just no good. He is big and slow.

Gates is an athelte that may be able to help a team by playin some hybrid WR/3rd down RB...

Little is a stud that just needs to get his sh(t together.

Cobb is a very good player that can be servicable in many assests of the game, but only for team willing to use packages and plays for him. Brad Smith type but can go over middle and catch more..get for a WR screen with strength to break tackles..

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

Yeah, i get that these are "no name" guys, and I don't even know if they are on the Rams radar. I just wanted to get a look at some mid-late round WR. I see the Rams upgrading other postions but with McDaniels calling the offensive, not using a TE/FB and alot of 3/4/5 WR sets I could see them "reloading" the postion because I don't know how much convidence they have in the WR on the roster.

richtree is offline Registered User

Terrance Toliver is a great late option if he falls. DeAndre Brown, Armon Binns, Jock Sanders, and Jimmy Young all have late talent that could play down in the NFL ....

and there's something about Vincent Brown that just stands out even though he didn't show good at the combine.