general counsel is offline Registered User

nfl network vs espn draft coverage

I watched nfl network saturday and espn sunday. Historically i have always watched espn and i generally like kipper. I watched nfl network saturday (even though i dont get that channel in HD) because i wanted to see Marshall and i thought he was terrific. Faulk didnt love the leonard pick but he was very diplomatic about it, he wasnt critical of leonard as much as questioning the pick in the context of our defensive needs.

Overall, i thought Maycock on nfl network was at least as good as kipper and i thought the nfl network team was less schtick, more no nonsense and more reporting geared to expert fans. I liked espn sunday, but on the whole, my vote goes to nfl network. Of course, if faulk was on espn, i would watch that..

your thoughts guys.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: nfl network vs espn draft coverage

GC, I'm glad you brought this up. I spent the whole weekend with NFL-N, simply because I can't stand anything to do with ESPN, with the lone exception of College Gameday in the fall.

My thoughts on the NFL-N crew:

Rich Eisen: good anchor, if for no other reason, he is willing to say "I don't know", when it's obvious he doesn't know. A man's got to know his limitations, and I appreciate it.

Steve Marriuchi: I know I didn't spell it right, but whatever. Mooch plays the "Ditka" line. Old coach, with a ton of knowledge and grit, but little articulation. It's kind of cute.

Mike Mayock: Simply the absolute best draft analyst on the planet. I'd take Mayock's word over anything said by any other draftnik. He called Whitner and Sims as top 10 picks last year. He called the Levi Brown pick this year, and the Quinn slide. Just brilliant.

Marshall Faulk: I'm not a big fan of most pro-bowlers turned commentators, but Faulk is more than that. He's not just some guy in the booth who can legitimately utter the phrase, "When I was playing....", he is an articulate and (most importantly) accurate analyst who displays why he is considered one of the smartest players ever.

Adam Schefter: Bernie could learn something from this guy. Everything he said was going to happen.......happened. He was announcing the picks before they happened! I can only assume that after the first few times he did that, the Network told him to knock it off since it killed the suspense of Goodell's announcement. I don't know where he gets his information, but it was dead on all weekend.

Deion Sanders: Why does anyone put a microphone in front of this guy? Yes, it was nice to see him talking with the players, and being the veteran voice for Russell, Peterson, and Quinn, but he should never give his thoughts on anything......ever. I was embarassed everytime he tried to debate Mayock on some point.

The L.A. crew: Please, NFL Network, don't ever do this again. Dukes and Palmer proved to be the two dumbest sounding suits on ANY network. Palmer looked like a deer in headlights, and Dukes was nothing more than an angry bubble who ranted on.......well, nothing really. Then there was Bobby Beathard who sounded like my post-sinilic grandpa telling me a story about the good ol' days. I wanted to be respectful to the former Skins GM, but there was only so much I could take.

Alex Flannagan - She was fun to look at, but I'm not sure why she was on-air. She simply re-iterated what the NY crew had already said. But don't get me wrong, like I said, I could look at her all day.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I was actually flipping back and forth on Saturday as well as Sunday between ESPN and the NFL Network. My vote goes to the NFL Network. Mayock and Schefter are my favorites and add Marshall Faulk to that duo and you can't go wrong.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I would like to know what Mayock and Schefter thought of the Rams picks; especially the first day. Did they have any profound comments about the Rams draft in general?

WHAT SAY YE?

KingHigh is offline Registered User

Marshall is good on TV.

NFL Network was a lot better overall. The way the ESPN people were handling the Quinn situation was beyond pathetic.

Mel Kiper looks like satan. Anyone else notice that he always looks angry? It's disturbing. As soon as I realized the draft was also being carried on NFL Network, I was there for the rest of the draft.

marccat is offline Registered User

anyone catch May's heavy fuel comment on the Moss to Nu Uhgland trade, ''just crown em" ? Made me as sick as all the Brady's the best crappola.

KingHigh is offline Registered User

Although Moss can't make a bad quarterback look good anymore, like he did with Culpepper, it's going to be interesting to see how he'll do with a good quarterback throwing to him.

Brady is going to be a hot fantasy football pick this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I would like to know what Mayock and Schefter thought of the Rams picks; especially the first day. Did they have any profound comments about the Rams draft in general?

WHAT SAY YE?
    Maybe it's just me, but I felt the Rams got glossed over all weekend long. Mayock did say he liked the Carriker pick, as Carriker was the #2 DE on his board. He said Carriker had the best hands of any lineman, was a smart, non-stop, good character guy who the Rams will find a place for either inside or outside.

Honestly, not a lot was said for Leonard or Wade, except that Leonard was a local kid who will backup Jackson and Wade is a very raw but athletic corner.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I didn't watch one second of the NFL draft this year. I went on vacation after tax season and didn't care what or who the Rams drafted.

It actually felt pretty good.

lol

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I didn't watch one second of the NFL draft this year. I went on vacation after tax season and didn't care what or who the Rams drafted.

It actually felt pretty good.

lol
    I was wondering where you disappeared to. Hope you had a nice vaca.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I watched the espn version and from this side of the pond was glad to be able to watch it

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I was wondering where you disappeared to. Hope you had a nice vaca.
    I thought everyone knew about tx's attitude towards the draft? He hates it. It's kind of humorous, like the grumpy old guy who yelled at kids to get off his lawn.............."Back in my day, we didn't have football drafts. Every college player just started beating on each other, until all but a handful were dead. Then they got to play in the NFL.........and we liked it!"

That's our tx.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

To an extent, Bison is right. I don't necessarily hate the draft, I find it boring and about as entertaining as watching milk sour or going shoe shopping with the little lady. However, the one thing that I can't stand about it is how overhyped it is. Who knows what these 19-22 year old individuals are really gonna do? Did one of the so called experts contact Harry Potter and got a spell to look into the future and rate how that team will come out with a B?

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

i only get the ESPN network and really wish i could've watched it on NFL network b/c ESPN just talked about the picks that were significant and rarely announced what was happening in the later rounds with trades and selections.

Did anyone else feel that way?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

you have to go with nfl network because Marshall is there and it looks like he has a bright career in broadcasting