• 1 Post By BM_Face

Thread: NFP: Scout says Corey Liuget as good as Gerald McCoy

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

NFP: Scout says Corey Liuget as good as Gerald McCoy

Scout says Corey Liuget as good as Gerald McCoy
    Calls Illini product second-best DT in draft
    Brad Biggs
    April 07, 2011, 02:15 PM EST

One veteran scout for an NFC team can’t figure it out.

For the life of him, he doesn’t know why Corey Liuget hasn’t gotten more love in the weeks leading up to the draft. He calls Marcell Dareus the top talent at that position and then puts Liuget right in behind him. He believes there will be one team that doesn’t miss out on this, either, and Liuget will go higher than most anyone imagines.

“He is the next best 4-3 defensive tackle out there,” the scout said. “He’s as good as Gerald McCoy but for some reason he’s not getting the same exposure. He’s not far off from where Tommie Harris was with the Bears when he was healthy. Liuget is maybe stronger. This player is for real.”

McCoy, of course, went third overall last year to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and turned in a productive rookie season even if he was completely overshadowed by the dominant performance of the Detroit Lions Ndamukong Suh.

The St. Louis Rams sent four people to the Illinois pro day. Maybe they will zero in on Liuget at No. 14 if they can’t find a receiver there because that is truly their greatest need.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: NFP: Scout says Corey Liuget as good as Gerald McCoy

I've previously stated that I wasn't wild about the idea of taking Liuget at No. 14 but, I have to admit, I am starting to warm to the idea somewhat. The advantages of Liuget are that he would likely start as a rookie, and would make re-signing Cliff Ryan entirely unnecessary. Of course, the Rams would still have a long term issue at DE, given James Hall's age. If the Rams pass on Smith (or Ryan Kerrigan) in favor of Liuget, that might be viewed somewhat of an endorsement of George Selvie's potential.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

man ive been trying to push this guy hard.

The guy uses his hands better than most DTs and has a great mix of power and quickness that he will just florish with Spags coaching him.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

And not only that, he should be able to make our DE's better.

My thing is, we are in a position where, whoever we draft we will be criticized for it. If we draft JJ, then people will be all over us not getting the quality defensive players at positions of need. If we get Liuget, people will wanna know why we keep passing up on WR's in the first round.

Who cares anymore what people think? We have a chance to build a great defense, albeit with one more FA pick after a new CBA. The offense will take care of itself.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Scout says Corey Liuget as good as Gerald McCoy
    Calls Illini product second-best DT in draft
    Brad Biggs
    April 07, 2011, 02:15 PM EST

One veteran scout for an NFC team can’t figure it out.

For the life of him, he doesn’t know why Corey Liuget hasn’t gotten more love in the weeks leading up to the draft. He calls Marcell Dareus the top talent at that position and then puts Liuget right in behind him. He believes there will be one team that doesn’t miss out on this, either, and Liuget will go higher than most anyone imagines.

“He is the next best 4-3 defensive tackle out there,” the scout said. “He’s as good as Gerald McCoy but for some reason he’s not getting the same exposure. He’s not far off from where Tommie Harris was with the Bears when he was healthy. Liuget is maybe stronger. This player is for real.”

McCoy, of course, went third overall last year to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and turned in a productive rookie season even if he was completely overshadowed by the dominant performance of the Detroit Lions Ndamukong Suh.

The St. Louis Rams sent four people to the Illinois pro day. Maybe they will zero in on Liuget at No. 14 if they can’t find a receiver there because that is truly their greatest need.
    ssssssh...keep it down!

ANYWAY UHHHH JULIO JONES IS GREAT AND UH WE SHOULD GET HIM...

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

2 Liuget, 2 Liuget 2 Quit.

Oh and if anyone gets upset if we draft Julio Jones, they need to start spending their time elsewhere. Like... the toilet store.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Oh and if anyone gets upset if we draft Julio Jones, they need to start spending their time elsewhere. Like... the toilet store.
    C-Mob 71 likes this.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    2 Liuget, 2 Liuget 2 Quit.

OKAY, BM-Face is cracked up by "toilet store". Comon' draft.
    Semper Fi!

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I've previously stated that I wasn't wild about the idea of taking Liuget at No. 14 but, I have to admit, I am starting to warm to the idea somewhat. The advantages of Liuget are that he would likely start as a rookie, and would make re-signing Cliff Ryan entirely unnecessary. Of course, the Rams would still have a long term issue at DE, given James Hall's age. If the Rams pass on Smith (or Ryan Kerrigan) in favor of Liuget, that might be viewed somewhat of an endorsement of George Selvie's potential.
    I agree with this observation. Selvie looks to be an effective DE. To bad this off season is blown up. Would have liked to have seen him next season with an entire offseason under his belt.
    Semper Fi!

richtree is offline Registered User

I say we do this:

Round 1 Julio Jones
    Round 2 Leonard Hankerson
    Round 3 Greg Little
    Round 4 Jacquizz Rodgers
    Round 5 Dion Lewis

and get Mike D'Antoni to coach and score 55 a game !!!!!!!!!!!

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If the Rams pass on Smith (or Ryan Kerrigan) in favor of Liuget, that might be viewed somewhat of an endorsement of George Selvie's potential.
    He does have some potential. Here are some of the things about him before he left college and after the draft.

2009 NFL Mock Draft: 09/15/08 1-10

2. Miami Dolphins: George Selvie, DE/OLB, USF
    The Dolphins could go WR here to complement Tedd Ginn in the 2009 season. However, I think they go for the DE George Selvie. Selvie is a very aggressive pass rusher who is looking to go at the top 2009 NFL Draft. Look for Selvie to go top 5 as I have him placed in this NFL Mock Draft if he plays well this year. Also look for him to be an immediate impact in the 2009 NFL Season.

Post-Draft Outlook: A closer look at the Rams' picks: Round 7/226 -- George Selvie, DE, 6-3, 252, South Florida: He has been labeled as a first-round talent with sixth- or seventh-round production. Had a monster year in 2007, but tailed off considerably the last two seasons. - by The Sports Xchange</STRONG>

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rNemesis View Post
    My thing is, we are in a position where, whoever we draft we will be criticized for it. If we draft JJ, then people will be all over us not getting the quality defensive players at positions of need. If we get Liuget, people will wanna know why we keep passing up on WR's in the first round.
    Only under certain situations; otherwise, I doubt this will happen. If Jones is on the board and the Rams pass, they will likely be criticized for bypassing both value and need. But if Jones is gone, I doubt anyone is going to chastise them for adding DL talent rather than reaching for a borderline first round receiver. Just like a doubt anyone is going to criticize the Rams much for taking Jones if he's there, as most would consider him not just a need player but also one of the best available.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Only under certain situations; otherwise, I doubt this will happen. If Jones is on the board and the Rams pass, they will likely be criticized for bypassing both value and need. But if Jones is gone, I doubt anyone is going to chastise them for adding DL talent rather than reaching for a borderline first round receiver. Just like a doubt anyone is going to criticize the Rams much for taking Jones if he's there, as most would consider him not just a need player but also one of the best available.
    Ya I'm going to have to second that, If we pass on JJ we will be in a ****storm of criticism by media and also fans. I don't think our FO is that foolish to pass on him if he were there, however I'd bet my savings account he won't be.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

p.s. I think we should draft:

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BM_Face View Post

I'd be cool with 2Liuget at #14. Typically, I like to think that I favor a top-flight DE over a top-flight DT, but it's not truly the case. (Would be happy with Aldon Smith or Kerrigan as well) I think we will find ourselves in a no-lose situation in round one, and possibly two and three. Will be nice talent available