Rambos is offline Registered User

Ngata may not fit team's defensive scheme

Bills | Ngata may not fit team's defensive scheme; may look elsewhere
    Tue, 28 Mar 2006 06:04:50 -0800

Mark Gaughan, of the Buffalo News, reports the Buffalo Bills will not be able to address their needs on either the offensive or defensive line with the eighth overall pick in the NFL Draft in April. Oregon DT Haloti Ngata does not look like a good fit for the new defensive system being adopted by Bills head coach Dick Jauron. Several scouts and personnel directors from around the league say Ngata is not a fit for the "Tampa Cover 2" style, because he is a 345-pound lineman whose strength is occupying two gaps on the line. Other observers feel the No. 8 overall pick is too early to draft the second best offensive tackle in the draft, USC OT Winston Justice. The Bills may need to turn their attention to the secondary or linebacker. Bills general manager Marv Levy would not comment specifically on Ngata or other defensive line prospects, but he acknowledged the nose tackle can't be solely a hole-plugger.

He would be a nice fit for us

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Ngata may not fit team's defensive scheme

I agree, he'd be a great fit for us. I think if he gets by Buffalo, he's our's, barring someone leap frogging us with a trade for him. He still has some work to do on his technique, but the physical ability is outstanding.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is online now Registered User

Nice article, hope springs eternal, but i believe nothing that i read at this point regarding which teams likes or doesnt like a particular guy. Writers are fountains of misinformation under the best of circumstances and at this point of year, its the worst.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

If we get Ngata, it'd be a good draft day!

However, I always wonder how much of this is disinformation when a coach or GM talks before a draft. On the other hand, it does make sense.

I've read where Parcells and the Cowboys are interested in trading up for Ngata.

To help Illustrate the Cover 2 DTs Versus the Grady Jackson types...

Warren Sapp was a Cover 2 DT in Tampa .. His game was quickness and pass rush. He was traded to Oakland and he was utilized his first year (or part of the first year) as a Nose Tackle. He wasn't big enough or stout enough to be an effective run stuffer and he was unhappy with no role in pass rushing.
    Everyone agreed Sapp, couldn't play Nose tackle at that point.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

I would love this guy in a Rams uniform. This man would fill a hole. Hes big mean and has the attitude to play this position, with him there and the linebackers doing their job will be able to stuff the run and bring pressure from the outside or up the middle, he'll change the dynamics of our defense. Enough said

Yes Big-Blue.

So much of defense is situational. If we put teams in obvious passing situations, that changes everything. Then, we can put in our extra DBs and the Def Lineman can pin their ears back and go full throttle.

chiguy is online now Registered User

My first thought in reading this was that it surely meant they were going to choose him.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

This definitely could be a smokescreen. Buffalo did sign one free agent DT(Larry Tripplett) but they lost two (Sam Adams and Ron Edwards). On the other hand, DTs usually take a couple years before they produce in the NFL and the Tampa 2 system tends to rely on a healthy inside pass rush. Considering they have the illustrious Coy Wire and Matt Bowen at Strong Safety, I'd believe it if they were seriously considering drafting Huff instead.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    To help Illustrate the Cover 2 DTs Versus the Grady Jackson types...

Warren Sapp was a Cover 2 DT in Tampa .. His game was quickness and pass rush. He was traded to Oakland and he was utilized his first year (or part of the first year) as a Nose Tackle. He wasn't big enough or stout enough to be an effective run stuffer and he was unhappy with no role in pass rushing.
    Everyone agreed Sapp, couldn't play Nose tackle at that point.

To be more precise, Sapp played in the Tampa-2 defense. That is different from the standard Cover-2. But you're right, once Sapp got away from what he knew in Tampa, his world changed and not for the better.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod