THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Nice Read: Should the St Louis Rams Consider Signing RB Reggie Bush?

Per Bleacher Report:

With the St Louis Rams on the rise, their attention must sway from finding big pieces of an offense to finding the role players who, when used correctly, are just as important as the starters.

With the free agency period hopefully coming soon, one role the Rams must fill is that of backup RB.

Steven Jackson is a top five running back in football and an absolute force for the St Louis Rams offense, but the depth behind him lacks any sort of playmaking ability.

Kenneth Darby was unspectacular last season, providing 107 yards of rushing on 34 carries with two touchdowns. His performance was good enough that it didn't hurt the team but, at the same time, the Rams would prefer to have a playmaker who could be effective whilst giving Jackson much-needed rests.

Insert Reggie Bush?

Ever since Bush was drafted second overall in the 2006 NFL draft, he has failed to establish himself as being capable of carrying the workload of a starter and he appears to be on his way out in New Orleans.

He has had problems with injuries, his most recent one being a freak knee accident on Monday Night Football against the San Francisco *****. He hasn't played in all 16 games since his rookie season and has missed a total of twenty games since being drafted.

That being said, his upside could be worth the risk.

Bush has shown tremendous ability as a pass-catcher out of the backfield, racking up 2,142 receiving yards in his young career.

In terms of being a true running back, Bush will be as effective as Kenneth Darby in a worst-case scenario. He doesn't provide much in between the tackles, but his ability to bounce plays outside for big gains is enticing.

During his last healthy season in 2009, Bush averaged 5.6 ypc and finished with 390 yards. It's a very small sample size, but it shows Bush still has some of that explosiveness that everyone fell in love with when he was in college.

On paper, he actually fits in beautifully with the Rams. Josh McDaniels likes to spread the ball to runningbacks via the passing game, which drastically plays into Bush's skill set.

Bush is a nice compliment to Steven Jackson as well. His quick, elusive style of play is a magnificent contrast to the physical foundation of Jackson's game. Just imagine itóJackson wears down a defense for three and a half quarters, then insert the speedy Bush. It makes the Rams far more dangerous than having Kenneth Darby or Keith Toston take the ball after Jackson.

His price tag shouldn't be too bad and there is no guarantee he will find his way out of New Orleans (although he has shown signs of his relationship with the Saints being over via twitter). But, if everything aligns, Bush could be a nice addition to the St Louis Rams.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Nice Read: Should the St Louis Rams Consider Signing RB Reggie Bush?

lol at using an article from Bleacher Report.. but this one is actually good?!?!

Anyways, this all really depends on what Devaney, Spags, and McDaniels think of using him. I like the 4th quarter situation giving Jackson a longer lifespan as well as his receiving skills but I think all the upsides will make us take consideration unless he's asking for unrealistic payday for his current value at the position.

P.S. Try to avoid being too impulsive about us getting Bush because it's showing signs of tensions during the last offseason you wanted Michael Vick and I wouldn't want to see a fellow Rams fan get the "red" Whiner bar

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    lol at using an article from Bleacher Report.. but this one is actually good?!?!

Anyways, this all really depends on what Devaney, Spags, and McDaniels think of using him. I like the 4th quarter situation giving Jackson a longer lifespan as well as his receiving skills but I think all the upsides will make us take consideration unless he's asking for unrealistic payday for his current value at the position.

P.S. Try to avoid being too impulsive about us getting Bush because it's showing signs of tensions during the last offseason you wanted Michael Vick and I wouldn't want to see a fellow Rams fan get the "red" Whiner bar
    Lol, bleacher articles are usually bad, but I just thought it was a nice read.

In terms of my interest in MV7, I got the red bar because I was being erractic and cursing, as well as pushing my interest in a very controversial player. With Bush, I am just debating a normal guy whos got the shot to be a potential free agent, not really a controversial issue, just something I strongly believe in but I will not get confrontational about

I've battled to get my rep up to a respectable amount, wonder what it would be had I not gotten all those negative vick reps

BarronWade is offline Registered User

i am still questioning the price tag. I think other teams know just what type of playmaker Bush is and teams will be calling for him so we are going to have give him at least a 3 year deal. We are also going to have to pay him borderline starter money. Look for teams in our division like the whiners and hags to run up the pricetag on him. As well as cleveland.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

"Bush" and "cheap" will not go together, neither will Sproles. But there will be a few Rb's on the market this year but not game breakers like the too mentioned above. I would like either of them but sadly dont think we will match what other clubs will pay, and we are not a club players take discounts to come play for (Patriots and other perennial Superbowl contenders). I think even getting another Bruiser to take some snaps off Jackson to keep in fresh in the 4th.

I too was pretty much pro Vick, happy with Bradford and would have been ok with Suh.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I loathe Reggie Bush almost as much as Tom Brady, so I'm biased, and I admit that. But Bush is actually the opposite side of the RB spectrum that I want to go. I want to go bigger. I want a Jacobs/Barber like back who can take the hard carries away from Jackson and let him really explode on 3rd down. I'm not saying that we take any more carries from Jax than we would by putting in a scatback for him on 3rd down, I'm just saying that we can extend his lifespan and his stats by making Jax the 2nd/3rd down back as opposed to the 1st/2nd.

In 2006 Jackson had over 1000 receiving and like 90 receptions, remember that? It was the last year we didn't have a losing record. We almost made the playoffs at 8-8. Now fast forward to 2011 when we get Jax 65 catches and 700 yards receiving as part of Sam's pro bowl coming out party when he eclipses 4000 yards easily on our way to the playoffs. We're able to keep Jackson in on 3rd down and against smaller tacklers because we grab a big back who can plow through the line. He's fresh because he doesn't get a lot of carries, Jax is fresh because he's not taking those poundings but still getting over 20 touches a game to make him effective.
    I believe!

swatter555 is offline Registered User

Definately a nice addition if the price is right.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

it would make some snazy thunder and lightning... I bet there is a couple of good non big nmes to be had if we do our homework though

Quote Originally Posted by bigtiger737 View Post
    it would make some snazy thunder and lightning... I bet there is a couple of good non big nmes to be had if we do our homework though
    I've come up with the nickname for bush and jack already if it happens that no other nfl team has yet used....Shock (Reggie) and Awe (SJ39)

shower beers is offline Registered User

I feel his name and reputation will carry his price tag out of our interest. We haven't been a team that makes a lot of noise like that in free agency, and that's absolutely a good thing. Just ask the Redskins, who seem to be continuously burned by free agent busts.

Someone like Sproles might be more on their radar, although I'm not sure how much cheaper that option would be. Character wise though, he seems to be a better fit with our squad. To me, someone like Bush would stand out like a sore thumb.