RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Nick ... Could we agree on this?

If the Rams Drafted Ole Miss LB Patrick Willis in this years draft, that he'd push Chillar out of the starting SLB spot, and that he could be the missing piss to our Linebacking puzzle?? And we could have potentially a very good Linebacking core? Looking like this:

WLB Pisa Tinoisamoa
    MLB Will Witherspoon
    SLB Patrick Willis

I'm not sold on Chillar at SLB, and think that were keeping him there this season to postpone any moves to aquire a SLB. Could we draft Patrick Willis and have a SLB right away?

Your opion.

Last edited by RamsFan16; -10-03-2006 at 11:24 PM.

RamsFan16

chiguy is offline Registered User

Re: Nick ... Could we agree on this?

Instead of a safety, defensive end, or guard?

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Our

Future Defensive Ends: Victor Adeyanju, and Anthony Hargrove, maybe Brandon Green - Set.

Future Offensive Guards: Mark Setterstorm and Richie Incognito - Set

Future Safeties: Jerome Carter and OJ Atogwe, and this draft is loaded with Safeties so I'm not that concerned about it at all, but its fairly thin at Linebackers, especially Strongside Linebackers.
    RamsFan16

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Could we draft Patrick Willis and have a SLB right away?
    Well, four weeks ago in my overview of Willis, I said: "Plays middle linebacker in college but has the speed and athleticism to move to outside linebacker in the pros, a position many Rams fans wanted the organization to address early in the 2006 draft."

So yes, I think he could move to SLB and do well. Will he be the starter right away? That's really tough to say. Conservatively I would say no, just because it's hard for a rookie to come in right away and start. It could happen simply because we don't have much therea the moment, but I wouldn't bank on it or get my hopes up about that scenario.

As for the overall strength of the LB group with Willis' addition, keep in mind Pisa Tinoisamoa is a free agent after this season. If the Rams for some reason don't resign him, which I think is unlikely as the coaching staff seems to be very high on him, then we'd still be looking for an additional starter even if we drafted Willis.

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Instead of a safety, defensive end, or guard?
    I agree with the latter two, but through four weeks I think Atogwe has played fairly well and, should he continue to play at this level through the season, will allow us to move safety down on the priority list, IMO. That's not to say we wouldn't take one though, because a safety may represent the greatest value and who knows how Atogwe finishes out the season.

Our

Future Defensive Ends: Victor Adeyanju, and Anthony Hargrove, maybe Brandon Green - Set.

Future Safeties: Jerome Carter and OJ Atogwe, and this draft is loaded with Safeties so I'm not that concerned about it at all, but its fairly thin at Linebackers, especially Strongside Linebackers.
    Yikes, lots of dangerous and premature assumptions here. We're set at DE, OG, and S? I disagree entirely.

DE: Hargrove has yet to break out as a quality full-time starter. He's shown flashes of ability but has also disappeared at times. If the Rams let him walk after this season (he's a free agent, after all), I'm not sure I'd be incredibly upset. Though Adeyanju has shown potential it's still vastly unrealized. He's looked good in preseason contests and situational roles. That's hardly the kind of experience you want to bank your future on just yet. Brandon Green is nothing more than depth. Of the three names you mentioned, there is no proven quality starter among them to date. How can you say we're set here?

G: Same goes for the guard position. Incognito has been working at center and could very well stay there. After all, why throw away a year of experience at center only to move him back to guard, especially when in doing so you create a need at center? Just keep Richie in the middlle. If you do that, you have at least one hole at guard. Setterstrom hasn't played one regular season game of football, and apparently has impressed the coaching staff so much that they went out and traded for Adam Goldberg. Hardly a great vote of confidence.

S: As for safety, I've been critical of Atogwe in the sense that we're not sure what we've got. Through four weeks, he's played fairly well. But there are twelve more weeks to go, and anything can happen. As for Carter, how can you be convinced he's done anything to warrant being considered our future starter at SS? This sounds like a knee-jerk reaction to one great play from this weekend. Yes, he had a nice pick against Detroit, but aside from that, hasn't done much this season. He got in on one drive against Arizona when Chavous was injured, but has been pretty silent. With little time on the field, it's hard to tell if he's made significant strides from what we saw of him situationally in 2005, so to already consider him a starter without that kind of evidence is incredibly premature.

Overall advice, don't count your chickens before they hatch. Not everyone the Rams have is going to turn into a starter for this team. Maybe they will, but it's crazy to say we're set for the future at these positions. You're telling me if the Rams had a chance to draft Quentin Moses or Gaines Adams, they'd pass because they had Adeyanju and Hargrove and were already "set" at the position? They'd pass on Bradon Meriweather because they have Jerome Carter? Skip over Justin Blalock because they have Mark Setterstrom? Please. It's one thing to skip over a prospect because you already have a proven starter there. But the closest name you've given to a proven starter is Hargrove and Atogwe, neither of whom are exceptionally proven thus far.
    Last edited by Nick; -10-04-2006 at 12:51 AM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

chiguy is offline Registered User

Our

Put the Kool-Aid down and step away from the table. Brandon Green has been on the verge of getting cut a number of times and neither Adeyanju or Hargrove have shown any kind of consistent pass rush. Adeyanju has, at least, been fine against the run.

Setterstorm? Heh.

And, to say the least, I'm not nearly as impressed by Atogwe as Nick is. His most memorable this season was leveling our CB and nearly giving up a huge play as a consequence. Carter was so good he ... lost his job the second the coaching staff changed.

Our defense is better but don't be fooled, the talent level isn't there yet. It could be argued that right now the LBs are the strength of the defense, even with Chillar's mediocrity.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

If the Rams Drafted Ole Miss LB Patrick Willis in this years draft, that he'd push Chillar out of the starting SLB spot, and that he could be the missing piss to our Linebacking puzzle??
    RF16, you're right that this is a fairly weak LB class. And Willis is certainly the best MLB in the group, and maybe even the best LB in the group (though Posluszny may disagree). However, I, for one, would not want to spend a 1st round pick to move a guy out of position. Especially considering our needs at Guard, DE, and CB......and yes, all of those are bigger needs than LB.

But hey, if we keep winning, it's all a moot point.........Willis won't be there at @ 32.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod