Thread: Nick Fairley ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Nick Fairley ..

Fairley's stock appears to be dropping. He was projected as a possible #1 overall pick much earlier, but now he's struggling to stay in the top ten according to several pundits. Whether they are right or wrong, I have no idea, but if he were to drop to 14, does anyone think the Rams would take him? (If this were to happen I think it would be safe to assume both Green and Jones would be off the board by then).

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Nick Fairley ..

Maybe. It depends on who's left. If Aldon Smith is there than no. He is a great player with a bad work ethic....which is always a big risk.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't think you could rule it out. It would be hard to claim he wouldn't be one of the best available players on the board. It just depends on what the Rams think about his character and what they've gleamed through the interview process. He's certainly talented and would fill a big need, but the character/work ethic issue is a question mark.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I think the problem would be that we did very little work on him up until this point because we never would have assumed the presumed #1 pick as of the new year would drop to us at 14, even though he's at a need area. He was not included in the visits to Rams park, which may mean we still don't expect to see him available, or if he is, we don't want him. Or, we're hiding our interest in him. I doubt that we interviewed him at the combine, so I doubt that we really know him at all.

Our defensive coordinator came from Carolina, so I would hope that at this point, he's calling up his buddies in their front office to find out everything he can at the last minute to see if we should take him. Hopefully we're lining up a phone interview as well.
    I believe!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

There is that calculated risk of being an Albert Haynesworth 2.0 but if Spags sees that he's the best choice to pick at #14, then I'm all for it. I can see Spags keeping an eye on him to ensure that he isn't walking down the path of Haynesworthless.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    There is that calculated risk of being an Albert Haynesworth 2.0 but if Spags sees that he's the best choice to pick at #14, then I'm all for it. I can see Spags keeping an eye on him to ensure that he isn't walking down the path of Haynesworthless.
    If he became like Albert Haynseworth I think it would be a steal to draft him at 14. Of course the trick is to trade him before he starts acting like the bad albert.

Don't forget, in the prime of his career when he was playing the position he is best suited for and for coaches he respected, Haynseworth was the most dominant force in football.

I agree, Spags is a player's coach, and would have done wonders with Haynesworth, and given the chance, would do wonders with Fairley.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I don't think I'd want to use a 1st round pick on a guy that already has attitude problems. 1st round is where you try to minimize the risk if you can, and if there are other options, we'd have to look closely at them. Hard to pass talent though.