Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Nick's "12 Hours to Go" Seven-Round Rams Mock Draft

Alright, with my final 2009 NFL mock draft finished, Iím turning my attention to a Rams seven-round mock draft. Obviously the real draft is only a few hours away, so this is kind of pointless. But what the heck, Iím too excited to sleep anyways.

ROUND ONE: JASON SMITH, OT, BAYLOR
    -In my March mock, I projected Virginiaís Eugene Monroe to the Rams but acknowledged it was likely a coin flip between Monroe and Jason Smith. I began working on my final mock on April 15th, fully intending to switch things up and give Jason Smith to the Rams. I still think itís a coin flip between these two, and could go either way. But late word seems to indicate Smith is the favorite, and itís easy to see why the Rams like him. First of all, heís got the charisma factor. Heís an intelligent, high character guy who will work nonstop to improve himself. But heís also one heck of an athlete, a nasty blocker in the run game, and still has room to grow as he improves his technique. Jason Smith has the dedication and drive to get better, and has separated himself as one of the best players in this draft class.

ROUND TWO: JAMES LAURINAITIS, MLB, OHIO STATE
    -It seems like just about every year for the past couple of drafts, thereís one highly touted linebacker from a big school that seems to start off as a first round prospect but slips into the second or even third round. In 2007, it was Paul Posluszny of Penn State, who slipped to the Bills in the second round. Last year, Dan Connor slipped well into the third round despite being a late first rounder on many peopleís boards. Will it happen again with James Laurinaitis? The Buckeye started this process as a Top 15-20 pick but has slowly slid down into the late-first, early-second round range. Itís tough to find a great fit for him at the bottom of the first, though Detroit could take him with either pick 20 or 33. In my last mock however, I do not have that happening. If Laurinaitis is available for the Rams when their second round pick rolls around, itíll be hard for them to pass him up.

ROUND THREE: JUAQUIN IGLESIAS, WR, OKLAHOMA
    -Thereís a lot to like about a polished receiver like Iglesias. But one of the things Rams fans should really be satisfied with is how well the Sooner pass catcher fits into the West Coast offense. At nearly 6í1Ē and 210 pounds, Iglesias has good size for the receiver position. He has solid speed (4.44 @ the Combine) and though heís not incredibly explosive, Juaquin achieves his separation by running precise routes. Thatís something Rams fans should be used to and appreciate in receivers. When he gets open, Iglesias displays very good ball skills and hands when making the catch, displaying the kind of awareness and concentration to track the ball well in the air. After the catch, heís elusive enough to make a good play even better. He would be a fine compliment to Avery in the passing game, and give the Rams another legitimate young receiver to develop.

ROUND FOUR: ROY MILLER, NT, TEXAS
    -If the Rams expect to get better on defense, theyíre going to have to devote some attention to the front of their defensive front. While they have some solid young players to build upon, the team still ranks as one of the worst run defenses in the league. Adding Laurinaitis in the second round gives them a presence between the tackles to help against the inside run, but he wonít be very effective if the defensive line canít keep blockers off of him. Texasí Roy Miller may not be the 320-330 pound hog that many prefer in their nose guards, but at 310 pounds, he was able to get the job done for the Longhorns. He's played in nearly 50 games for Texas, including the Longhorns' Fiesta Bowl victory in which he earned defensive MVP honors. He's viewed as a prospect who is strong at the point of attack, and his 36 reps on the bench at the combine shows he's spent some time in the weight room. Millerís 11 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks as a senior demonstrate that he also knows how to penetrate into the backfield. Viewed as a player with terrific work ethic, Miller should contribute as part of a rotation on the Ramsí interior defensive line.

ROUND FIVE: KEENAN LEWIS, DB, OREGON STATE
    -The St. Louis Rams seem to be set at both safety positions for the time being, and locked up starting cornerback Ron Bartell to a long-term deal. But the other starting cornerback position is a bit of a question mark. The Rams have young players who could contribute. But I wouldnít be surprised if they also looked to bolster their secondary in this draft as well. Looking around the NFC West, there are a number of receivers in the 6í1Ē or taller range. If St. Louis wants to minimize the damage these taller receivers can do, then theyíll need some bigger defensive backs. Lewis measured in slightly under 6í1Ē at the Combine and plays around 194 pounds. He has extensive experience on the field, starting 48 games for the Beavers. He established himself as a physical cornerback this season, not afraid to step up and jam a receiver at the line. Though he doesnít have blazing speed, heís an intelligent player who will make plays because of his instincts and awareness.

ROUND SIX: MIKE REILLY, QB, CENTRAL WASHINGTON
    -With Marc Bulger and Kyle Boller entrenched as the starting and back-up quarterback respectively, the Ramsí need at the position is for someone long-term to try and develop into a quality player. I would look for St. Louis to address this position no earlier than the third round, and more than likely in the mid to late rounds with a project player. Enter Mike Reilly, whom I think has a number of intriguing characteristics. One, he has good size (6í3Ē 214lbs) for the position; heís actually a bit taller than the first round candidates. Reilly has the awareness and decision making skills to find the open receiver, and while he doesnít have the strongest arm, he has good accuracy in the short to medium passing game. He also brings a bit of elusiveness to the table. To me, he sounds like an intriguing developmental prospect for a team moving towards a West Coast type offense.

ROUND SEVEN: RYAN MCKEE, OT, SOUTHERN MISS
    -The final pick of the draft for the Rams, and I think it goes back to the offensive line. The Rams know they only have one true tackle on the roster (Alex Barron), and he might be gone next year. At the very least they could still use more depth at the position. McKee is a three-year starter at right tackle and is considered to be a smart, consistent lineman. Measuring in over 6í6Ē in height, he can add some weight to his frame and get stronger. He knows how to run block, as he helped Southern Miss run for over 2,000 yards three years in a row. McKee is recovering from labrum surgery after playing through most of the season with the injury, so heíll need some time to recover. But with questionable present and future depth at the position, it may be worthwhile for the Rams to take a flier on a player like McKee just to see what he can do once heís healthy.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's "12 Hours to Go" Seven-Round Rams Mock Draft

Great mock. I think you hit every area of need for the rams in the right order, I love the idea of picking up a huge NT in the 4th, although i'd like see them trade up from the 6th to get a better QB. I'd be very happy if the rams follow the same pattern as you have.

Did you get up at 4am to post this??

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    ROUND ONE: JASON SMITH, OT, BAYLOR
    Good mock. If Linehan was still here I think he would apporve of this pick as well but it would probably read:
    ROUND ONE: JASON SMITH, TE, BAYLOR

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    Good mock. If Linehan was still here I think he would apporve of this pick as well but it would probably read:
    ROUND ONE: JASON SMITH, TE, BAYLOR
    Great memories

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The more I think about it, the more likely I think it is that Laurinaitis will be there in the second round. Every team wants to make a splash in the first round to get the fans excited, and a workmanlike linebacker who doesn't have a great hit reel just isn't that exciting.

I think Iglesias makes perfect sense for us in the third as a value pick who is exactly the type we're looking to pair with Avery.

I'm not that familiar with Roy Miller, but he sounds like a good fit.

schut39 is offline Registered User

Great mock draft, I love picks 1-4. The only part I don't like about this mock is that we don't select a running back to back up Jackson. You must be pretty confident in the guys we have now or guys that we can pick up in the free agency.

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

hell yeh i like this mock.
    i really like laurinaitis in the second, partly because his dad was a wrestler in the legion of doom

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

really like the picks Nick,if the Rams can somehow pull off those 1st two picks they will be getting 2 hard nosed tough football players that fit perfectly with the way Spags thinks.it could be a very good first day for the Rams.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    Did you get up at 4am to post this??
    Nah, just stayed up until 3am.

Quote Originally Posted by schut39 View Post
    Great mock draft, I love picks 1-4. The only part I don't like about this mock is that we don't select a running back to back up Jackson. You must be pretty confident in the guys we have now or guys that we can pick up in the free agency.
    While I wouldn't be upset if we went that direction in the mid rounds if there's value there, I wasn't too concerned about drafting one in my mock. We've got Pittman who showed some promise and hopefully Brian Leonard is healthy and can work into the rotation. We very well may be able to pick someone up off of waivers like we did Pittman last year.

harrydog is offline Registered User

I'd be thrilled if the draft went this way.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dave View Post
    hell yeh i like this mock.
    i really like laurinaitis in the second, partly because his dad was a wrestler in the legion of doom
    If we draft Laurinaitis, will we design a play where Road Warrior Animal comes out of the crowd to hit the quarterback with a steel chair?

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Nah, just stayed up until 3am.

While I wouldn't be upset if we went that direction in the mid rounds if there's value there, I wasn't too concerned about drafting one in my mock. We've got Pittman who showed some promise and hopefully Brian Leonard is healthy and can work into the rotation. We very well may be able to pick someone up off of waivers like we did Pittman last year.

No love for Darby,Nick?

My impression of the 3 back-ups at RB- in the limited action we've seen over the last two seasons- is that Leonard and Darby show promise of greater versatility-better hands,cutting ability,willingness to block- than Pittman. He perhaps has the edge as a hard-to-tackle downhill type runner but that's it.

I'm not saying Pittman doesn't deserve a shot; hard to judge a guy when he was coming back from a broken leg as he had to last season,esp with all the other offensive problems that negatively impacted even SJ's productivity, but I see Leonard and/or Darby as more likely to be our Roger Craig in a WCO-flavored system.

I like your mock as well although the later picks, just in terms of positions targeted, may try to cover too much ground. I might prefer greater depth at LB,DB,and DL over a developmental QB or OT.Better to cement closed a few holes than put duct tape on a bunch of them,in other words.

I don't have your knowledge of the options available to offer names but ,as a casual draftnik, I'd be more intrigued by a developmental QB-sacking DE or a good coverage safety since I feel we are thin at both positions behind potentially "impactful" starters.

With the current personnel backing them up, I see disaster looming if we lose either Long,Little,Atogwe,or Butler for any length of time to injury. More so than losing Bulger with Boller and Berlin on the bench or -assuming a top tier rookie OT is taken today-a loss of Barron/the new OT with Goldberg and Greco in the wings.I'm not saying it is comfortable longterm depth but it's less scary to me than the other two positions.

NlCK is offline Registered User

Look. Don't start second guessing me...I'm not in the mood.

You know...you just need to chill.

I mean....excuse me...pheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Ha...just messin' with you man.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Another nice piece of work Nick! Obviously you didn't take my advice about getting some beauty sleep.

I'd be ecstatic if the draft went the way you laid it out here, but I'm really worried about Detroit and New England ahead of us with regard to Laurinaitis. It's not going to be a happy time for me leading up to the second round. At least it will have excitement and intrigue.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Looks like somebody has already had a few bloody mary's this morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast