Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's 2011 Rams Mock Offseason (ver. 2)

Took the feedback from previous mock drafts and my mock offseason, and trying another stab at it. Did a few different things this time around, so I welcome any feedback and constructive criticism you might have!

FREE AGENCY

• RESIGN WR MARK CLAYTON, KENNETH DARBY, JOHN GRECO, RENARDO FOSTER, GARY GIBSON, DAVID VOBORA
    • SIGN DE MATHIAS KIWANUKA
    • SIGN LB ROCKY MCINTOSH
    • SIGN S DANIEAL MANNING

Clayton demonstrated enough skill in 2010 before injury to be brought back for next season, with the expectation that he lock down one of the starting positions for this team. Darby would be an excellent third running back, and both Greco & Foster have shown enough to be brought back as depth. Gibson can be efficient when part of a rotation, and Vobora offers excellent depth across the LB unit.

Kiwanuka is the lost man in the Giants' defensive line, so much so that he's seen some time at linebacker during his time in New York. He's familiar with Spags as a coach, and could rotate with James Hall before eventually taking over that spot. Rocky McIntosh is miscast in Washington's 3-4 defense, so he's going to be looking for a new home. The Rams have needs at either OLB spot, so McIntosh would be a nice fit. Danieal Manning is a solid strong safety who also offers ability as a return man. If he slips away from Chicago, he'd be an upgrade over both Butler and Dahl in St. Louis, and could help Amendola split special teams duties.

DRAFT
    ROUND ONE: JULIO JONES, WR, ALABAMA
    The Rams lack playmakers in the passing game, specifically a top receiving target to force defenses to respect the air attack. Jones is an exceptional physical talent who improved upon his concentration and drop issues in 2010. He and Sam Bradford will grow into a capable duo in the NFC West.

ROUND TWO: DANNY WATKINS, OG, BAYLOR
    Watkins was a junior college transfer who took over for departing left tackle Jason Smith at Baylor. While he's older than most NFL rookies, he'll challenge for a starting spot sooner rather than later on a Rams line in need of an upgrade along the interior.

ROUND THREE: KENDALL HUNTER, RB, OKLAHOMA STATE
    Steven Jackson has been carrying the load for the Rams for far too long; it's time to find someone to help him out while also adding a dynamic threat to the offense. Hunter is a shifty runner with great vision who can also contribute as a receiver out of the backfield.

ROUND FOUR: K.J. WRIGHT, LB, MISSISSIPPI STATE
    The Rams could use upgrades at both OLB spots. Signing free agent Rocky McIntosh gives them one new starter, and hopefully Wright gives them another. He combines excellent size with a good mix of speed and quickness, and has played both weak and strong side 'backer in college.

ROUND FIVE: SIONE FUA, DT, STANFORD
    If the Rams want to try and get another year or two out of Fred Robbins, they'll need to upgrade the tackle spot beside him. While Fua doesn't offer a whole lot of variety as a pass rusher, he's stout at the point of attack and should help improve the Rams' run defense as well.

ROUND SIX: HENRY HYNOSKI, FB, PITTSBURGH
    One of the reasons the Rams' running game declined a bit in 2010 was Mike Karney being in and out of the line-up. While Karney was a good free agent acquisition at the time he was signed, it may be time to begin exploring other options. Hynoski has experience opening holes for two talented Pittsburgh runners.

ROUND SEVEN: MARK LEGREE, S, APPALACHIAN STATE
    LeGree is a decorated small school prospect who could be off the board at this point, but if he's available, he'd add great depth to the secondary and could develop into something, especially if he had the chance to learn behind O.J. Atogwe.

PROJECTED TWO-DEEP DEPTH CHART
    (Starters in CAPS)

QB: SAM BRADFORD, AJ Feeley
    RB: STEVEN JACKSON, Kendall Hunter
    FB: MIKE KARNEY; Henry Hynoski
    WR: MARK CLAYTON, JULIO JONES, Danny Amendola, Donnie Avery
    TE: MIKE HOOMANAWANUI, Billy Bajema
    OT: RODGER SAFFOLD, JASON SMITH, Renardo Foster
    OG: JACOB BELL, DANNY WATKINS, John Greco
    OC: JASON BROWN, Hank Fraley

DE: CHRIS LONG, MATHIAS KIWANUKA, James Hall, George Selvie
    DT: FRED ROBBINS, GARY GIBSON, Darell Scott, Sione Fua
    OLB: ROCKY MCINTOSH, K.J. WRIGHT, Na'il Diggs, Larry Grant
    MLB: JAMES LAURINAITIS, David Vobora
    CB: RON BARTELL, BRADLEY FLETCHER, Jerome Murphy, Quincy Butler
    S: O.J. ATOGWE, DANIEAL MANNING, Craig Dahl, James Butler, Mark LeGree

K: JOSH BROWN
    P: DONNIE JONES
    LS: CHRIS MASSEY

SUMMARY

This mock offseason addresses a number of issues with the Rams. It adds a new playmaker at the wide receiver position as well as a dynamic young back-up to Steven Jackson. An investment in the interior offensive line is made with Danny Watkins, who would hopefully replace veteran Adam Goldberg in the starting line-up at right guard. A defensive end rotation between James Hall and Mathias Kiwanuka would improve the Rams' pass rush, and the addition of mid-round pick Sione Fua adds more help in defending the run. Two new starters at outside linebacker have been added as well as a new strong safety.

What hasn't been addressed in this mock offseason is depth at the cornerback position, where the Rams are largely depending on the same personnel from the previous season. Depth along the offensive line is shaky, specifically at the guard and tackle spots. Tight end remains a weakness as the Rams would be relying on Hoomanawanui to start, and he had trouble staying healthy in 2010. Additionally, while Fua adds immediate depth to the defensive line, he may not become a long-term starter. Even if he does, the Rams would still need another future starting defensive tackle beside him to eventually replace Fred Robbins.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's 2011 Rams Mock Offseason (ver. 2)

I like what you doing here Nick. Not over-the-top with this at all.

An OG from my neck of the woods, Butte College. Aaron Rodgers played there. No value in that but still.

A DT as big as a phone booth from Encino..........nice. Bill and Ted would approve.

I do think that Wright starting at OLB in his first year would be a tall order though. But there is certainly a need.
    Semper Fi!

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Free agency is good

Jones 1st round yawn; but a good pick

Watkins is good but guard is a position we can fill later on in the draft and as success as we were we spent high picks the last 2 years on the O-Line and we need to address the D-Line it has 2 aging starters.

Since spags has become the HC every year we have been mocking a RB to take in the 3rd round. The last 2 years we took a CB instead. unless its a high value pick i do not see us taking a RB this high.

KJ Wright is a good pick but i dont see why u have him starting from day 1 instead of Vabora

Fau is good

Drafting a FB interesting

legree small school prospect lets hope he turns into that guy on the falcons.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post

An OG from my neck of the woods, Butte College. Aaron Rodgers played there. No value in that but still.

A DT as big as a phone booth from Encino..........nice. Bill and Ted would approve.

I do think that Wright starting at OLB in his first year would be a tall order though. But there is certainly a need.
    Thanks for the feedback. Wright starting as a rookie might be asking a lot, but I don't think our personnel at OLB is so strong that it can't happen. It's arguably one of the weakest spots on the team, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Free agency is good

Jones 1st round yawn; but a good pick

Watkins is good but guard is a position we can fill later on in the draft and as success as we were we spent high picks the last 2 years on the O-Line and we need to address the D-Line it has 2 aging starters.

Since spags has become the HC every year we have been mocking a RB to take in the 3rd round. The last 2 years we took a CB instead. unless its a high value pick i do not see us taking a RB this high.

KJ Wright is a good pick but i dont see why u have him starting from day 1 instead of Vabora

Fau is good

Drafting a FB interesting

legree small school prospect lets hope he turns into that guy on the falcons.
    Thanks for the feedback!

Watkins is, IMO, better value in the second round than any 4-3 DL remaining on the board in my upcoming, updated two-round NFL mock. Perhaps you could make a case for Drake Nevis. Plus, I think the Kiwanuka free agent signing lessens the need to go DL early.

The Rams may or may not take a RB as high as the third round, but it sounds based on what I've read that they recognize the importance of finding a complimentary back to Jackson more now than they have in the past. Could it wait until round four or five? Probably, but it's hard to argue with Hunter's value in the mid third IMO.

See above for my reasoning about Wright.

Johnblaze Guest

Wink Re: Nick's 2011 Rams Mock Offseason (ver. 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post

Dude.... Bill & Ted are from San Dimas .. They did like phone booths though!!

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

I doubt we draft a FB (he would at best a be a special teamer), but I know this was put together before the Karney cut