Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's "All I Want For Christmas Is A" First-Round Mock Draft

It's my first mock of the 2010 NFL Draft season, and just in time for Christmas! I worked a bit on this yesterday and a bit on it today, and I think I'm pretty satisfied with what I came up with. I'll try to use this as a starting point for a seven-round Rams mock draft in the coming days, but I wanted to get this one up in the meantime. Enjoy!!

NFL 2010 MOCK DRAFT

1. St. Louis Rams: Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
    -With the first pick in the draft, it’s only natural to select the best player, right? The Rams could certainly use a quarterback of the future, but I’m simply not convinced that there’s a candidate worthy of this pick, especially with Nebraska’s Ndamukong Suh on the board. It’s hard to imagine Suh not being an absolute force of nature in a Steve Spagnuolo defense.

2. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
    -While Ndamukong Suh has been getting all the attention as the draft’s best defensive lineman, Oklahoma’s Gerald McCoy is a pretty darn good prospect in his own right. McCoy practically had property in his opponents’ backfields, accumulating 14.5 tackles for loss this season. His addition would make it easier for Tampa to phase out Ryan Sims and Chris Hovan.

3. Cleveland Browns: Eric Berry, DB, Tennessee
    -Head coach Eric Mangini may want to find “his guy” at quarterback, but I think Brady Quinn has shown enough promise to keep the Browns from reaching for a signal-caller here. Instead, they’ll take the best player available in Eric Berry. While safeties traditionally don’t go this high in the draft, Berry’s playmaking ability and versatility make him a good choice.

4. Detroit Lions: Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
    -Last year, the Lions pulled the trigger on drafting a franchise quarterback in Matthew Stafford and a well balanced tight end in Brandon Pettigrew. They already had a top receiver in Calvin Johnson and a workhorse runner in Kevin Smith. The final piece to the offensive puzzle is a franchise left tackle, because most people realize that Jeff Backus is simply not getting the job done.

5. Kansas City Chiefs: Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama
    -It might surprise some people to see McClain’s name this high in a mock draft, but there’s a school of thought that McClain could leap up draft boards with Patrick Willis-type potential. The Chiefs demonstrated last year that they were willing to make a surprise pick if the prospect fit their scheme, and McClain would be a force as an inside ‘backer in Kansas City’s 3-4.

6. Washington Redskins: Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
    -Though Jason Campbell has been coming on strong the last two weeks, I believe that Washington’s pursuit of both Jay Cutler and Mark Sanchez indicates that Campbell will likely be moving on in 2010. While the future of head coach Jim Zorn remains to be seen, the Redskins will need to find the new face of their franchise. Enter Jimmy Clausen.

7. Oakland Raiders: Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
    -Could this possibly be a smart selection by the Oakland Raiders? I guess that means my mock is destined for failure. The fact that the Raiders would rather start Charlie Frye than JaMarcus Russell seems to indicate JaMarcus’ time in Oakland is running out, but I think Morgan gets the nod over an injured Sam Bradford here.

8. Seattle Seahawks: C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
    -There’s no question in my mind that the offensive line is a bigger area of need in Seattle, but I’m just not sold on the value of a lineman right here. Meanwhile, I think Clemson running back C.J. Spiller will likely be the first ‘back off the board, and could propel himself into the top ten by adding a strong offseason showing to his phenomenal season.

9. Denver Broncos (f/CHI): Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
    -What a twist! Receiver isn’t a big need for the Broncos, especially since they’ll likely retain Brandon Marshall. But if you look at their team, no one has been able to step up opposite of Marshall and give this offense another big time weapon in the passing game. If Bryant is available, a part of me wonders if Josh McDaniels would be salivating at the idea of adding him to the mix.

10. Buffalo Bills: Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
    -Trent Edwards is probably going to be run out of town this offseason, and what we’ve seen of Ryan Fitzpatrick likely indicates he’s not the long-term answer for the Bills either. If Bradford checks out as healthy, he’ll be right there with Clausen as the potential first passer off the board. With a new regime on the way in, Buffalo would be wise to take Bradford here.

11. San Francisco ***** (f/CAR): Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
    -The ***** are desperate for an answer at right tackle, where neither Marvel Smith nor Tony Pashos could stay healthy enough to win the job. Adam Snyder shouldn’t be considered their future starter there, either. Luckily for the *****, Trent Williams was a mainstay at right tackle for the Sooners, and should be a nice addition to their line.

12. Pittsburgh Steelers: Joe Haden, CB, Florida
    -This is an ideal situation for the Steelers, because Florida cornerback Joe Haden could easily go higher than this. In fact, I had a tough time not giving him to the ***** one spot earlier. But I think there’s a chance he falls to Pittsburgh here, and desperately in need of some help at the cornerback position, the Steelers won’t hesitate to snatch Haden up.

13. San Francisco *****: Jerry Hughes, OLB, TCU
    -Having used one of their picks to address their offense, the ***** now turn to the defensive side of the ball. Though San Francisco has amassed 34 sacks thus far this season, they’re still missing that outstanding edge rusher for their 3-4 alignment. This might be a bit early for TCU’s Jerry Hughes, but he knows how to get into the backfield and could climb up draft boards this offseason.

14. Atlanta Falcons: Corey Wootton, DE, Northwestern
    -The Falcons need some help at LDE, where former first round pick Jamaal Anderson has been nothing short of a colossal bust. It would be tempting for Atlanta to look towards Florida’s Carlos Dunlap if it weren’t for some red flags that may remind them of Anderson. Instead, Wootton is the choice here, as he has a tremendous combination size and quickness.

15. Houston Texans: Taylor Mays, S, Southern California
    -It seems as if the Texans have been in the market for a top safety for years now. I’ve lost count of the number of mocks I’ve created that had them looking for safety help. This year, it looks like they may be in a position to finally get it, as they take advantage of the scrutiny placed on Taylor Mays this season, snatching him up in the middle of the first round.

16. Tennessee Titans: Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida
    -Truth be told, I wouldn’t be shocked to see Dunlap drop a bit further than this, especially with his more recent off-the-field issues. But the Titans desperately need playmakers at the defensive end position, especially seeing as how Kyle Vanden Bosch has come back down to earth after a few good seasons. Thus, they’ll roll the dice on the boom-or-bust Dunlap.

17. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
    -Jacksonville probably would have loved to see Carlos Dunlap drop to them here, but sadly it doesn’t work out for them. I’m not ready to buy into them drafting Tim Tebow in the first round, either. Instead, I think they’ll look to improve their own pass rush by taking South Florida standout Jason Pierre-Paul, who has overtaken George Selvie to be the Bulls’ top prospect.

18. Baltimore Ravens: Damian Williams, WR, Southern California
    -Depending on whom you talk to, this may be a bit early for Damian Williams. Some people believe he could challenge Dez Bryant as the top receiver in this class, while some feel he belongs in the second round at best. I think the answer may be somewhere in between, and I also think the Ravens would make a nice destination as they try to add some receiving talent around Joe Flacco.

19. New York Jets: Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
    -The Jets are in an interesting position because I don’t think they have a lot of glaring needs. One area I could see the Jets addressing, provided the value is there, is their offensive line. Anthony Davis could conceivably be off the board much earlier than this, so the Jets may jump on Davis for the value and then move current right tackle Damien Woody inside to guard.

20. New York Giants: Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida
    -Middle linebacker Antonio Pierce is entering the final year of his deal in 2010, and the Giants may opt to move on without him, when it’s all said and done. Even if they keep Pierce around, they’d be wise to try and find their future man in the middle. Florida’s Brandon Spikes has fallen down draft boards a bit, but would still be an excellent pick for the Giants here.

21. Miami Dolphins: Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan
    -Joey Porter and Jason Taylor are a combined 67-years-old, and while Cameron Wake has been a pleasant surprise as a pass rusher, this should definitely be an area that the Dolphins look to address this offseason. Brandon Graham had 25 tackles for loss this season, and looks like he’d be a good fit coming off the edge in a 3-4 scheme.

22. Arizona Cardinals: Brian Bulaga, OT, Iowa
    -The Cardinals spent a high first round pick on right tackle Levi Brown a few years ago, but they’ve neglected to shore up their left bookend. Starting left tackle Mike Gandy has allowed eight sacks in twelve games this season, so a replacement should be high on the list of priorities. If Brian Bulaga checks out health-wise, he could be a steal here.

23. Dallas Cowboys: Earl Thomas, S, Texas
    -What’s better than getting a talented young prospect at a position of need from your team’s home state? There are some who don’t think Thomas will be coming out this year, and while that remains to be seen, I’m going to go ahead and project him to the Cowboys because I think the fit just makes too much sense.

24. Seattle Seahawks (f/DEN): Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
    -The Seahawks passed on offensive line help with their first pick, and are rewarded when they’re able to come back with their second pick in the first round and grab a guy like Bruce Campbell. While Campbell is no guarantee to come out in 2010 either, he’s getting a lot of pre-draft buzz, and given the way NFL teams value offensive tackles, could probably work his way into the first round.

25. New England Patriots: Jared Odrick, DL, Penn State
    -The Patriots have parted ways with defensive mainstay Richard Seymour, and there’s strong speculation that they’ll say goodbye to Vince Wilfork this offseason as well. There’s a lot to like about Jared Odrick from Penn State, and I think Bill Belichick and the New England coaching staff will be able to bring out the best in him.

26. Green Bay Packers: Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State
    -The Florida State Seminoles did not have the kind of 2009 seasons they were hoping for, and finished pretty poorly against the pass. Still, Patrick Robinson has all the physical tools NFL teams look for in their cornerbacks, and I think he’d be a great fit in Green Bay where he could continue to hone his craft behind a playmaker like Charles Woodson.

27. Cincinnati Bengals: Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
    -There was a resurgence in Cincinnati this season, but one thing that was missing from the team’s success was a standout player at tight end. Consider that problem solved. Though Gresham missed the 2009 season with a knee injury, he remains this class’ top tight end and will be a great weapon for Carson Palmer in the Bengals offense.

28. Philadelphia Eagles: Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri
    -Opinions vary on Weatherspoon, but I think there’s a solid chance he could sneak into the bottom of the first round. When the Eagles originally traded for veteran Will Witherspoon, they plugged him in at middle linebacker. Weatherspoon’s addition would allow Will to move back inside, causing a healthy Stewart Bradley to man the strong side in 2010. Quite a formidable unit.

29. San Diego Chargers: Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama
    -The Chargers lost 33-year-old nose tackle Jamal Williams for the season early in the year, giving them a wake-up call about life after Williams. Simply put, they don’t have a future replacement on the roster, which is bad news for a position so vital to the 3-4. If Terrence Cody slides down to the late first round, I wouldn’t be surprised to see San Diego pull the trigger.

30. Minnesota Vikings: Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina
    -Though Brett Favre has had an MVP-like return to football, he’s obviously not a long-term option for the Vikings at quarterback. Thus, selecting someone like Colt McCoy or Tony Pike may be on Minnesota’s mind. But I think they also realize 37-year-old Pat Williams won’t be around forever either, so adding someone like Marvin Austin will help the Vikings secure the future of their run defense.

31. New Orleans Saints: Sergio Kindle, LB, Texas
    -The Saints passed on linebacker help in the first round to take defensive back Malcolm Jenkins. While that may not have necessarily been a bad decision, the outside linebacker position remains one in need of an upgrade now, even in the midst of a perfect season. There’s no reason Sergio Kindle couldn’t provide an immediate improvement over Scott Shanle and Scott Fujita.

32. Indianapolis Colts: Donovan Warren, CB, Michigan
    -With the Colts potentially poised to lose Marlin Jackson and Tim Jennings to free agency, they’ll need to restock at the cornerback position and find someone who can start opposite of Kelvin Hayden. Warren was one of the bright spots on an otherwise disappointing Michigan football team, and he should be a nice fit for the Indianapolis defense.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's "All I Want For Christmas Is A" First-Round Mock Draft

Excellent as always, Nick.

Any reasoning as to why you think Cody will drop so far?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Looks pretty good, Nick.

Now... with the Rams holding the first pick in Round 2, do they take Colt McCoy, Tony Pike, or someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Excellent as always, Nick.

Any reasoning as to why you think Cody will drop so far?
    Ultimately I'm not sure if he'll be as highly regarded in pro circles as he is by some fans. ESPN's The Draft Lab did a good job breaking down his on-field involvement during a four-game stretch this season, revealing that he'd only been on the field for something like 43% of Alabama's defensive plays. It'd be interesting to see how that number would change if drawn out for the whole season, but I think his endurance may be a factor this spring and I wouldn't be surprised to see him have an Alan Branch-like slide on draft day. Still, the Chargers need NT depth, so they may be willing to pounce.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Looks pretty good, Nick.

Now... with the Rams holding the first pick in Round 2, do they take Colt McCoy, Tony Pike, or someone else?
    Well, McCoy would be an obvious choice, but I think Demaryius Thomas, Arrelious Benn, and Golden Tate still being on the board complicates things.

TheRammer Guest

Do you think there is any chance Clausen would slip to the second round to us? or is we the premier QB of this class that will be picked first?

BTW nice board alot of time and effort lol I'm not patient enough but im impressed to say the least..

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Nice mock, Nick.

I noticed that you have Sean Weatherspoon going to Plilly at #28. In my posted mock I have him dropping to the Rams as first pick in the 2nd round. My question for you is that if Weatherspoon does drop out of first round would you have the Rams pick him or, if not, what player would you take at that point?

WHAT SAY YE?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Well, McCoy would be an obvious choice, but I think Demaryius Thomas, Arrelious Benn, and Golden Tate still being on the board complicates things.
    I see you're a D.Thomas fan too, Nick. I've watched several of his games this year and he really impresses me.

richtree is offline Registered User

I don't think there is anyway Spiller would get by the Redskins.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRammer View Post
    Do you think there is any chance Clausen would slip to the second round to us? or is we the premier QB of this class that will be picked first?
    I guess with the draft, there's always a chance. But I'd say it's pretty slim at this point. He'd have to really disappoint in the offseason workouts and/or interview process. Opinions on Clausen seem to be all over the place. Some view him as a legit Top 5-10 pick, some question his status as a first round prospect. I wouldn't be surprised to see an Aaron Rodgers-type slide for him on draft day, but I think eventually someone will pull the trigger before the Rams' second round choice.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    My question for you is that if Weatherspoon does drop out of first round would you have the Rams pick him or, if not, what player would you take at that point?
    He'd be in consideration and probably would be among the best players available at that point. But it would be tough not to pull the trigger on an equally talented player at a position of greater need such as quarterback or wide receiver. I think teams can probably find capable weak-side linebackers later in the draft, though I suspect Spags would like Weatherspoon's size if his listed measureables (6'1" 245) hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I see you're a D.Thomas fan too, Nick. I've watched several of his games this year and he really impresses me.
    You have to love his size and his ability to produce in that offense, though to be fair he had more receptions than the rest of his team combined. Still, no other player among the Top 50 receivers in college football averaged as few receptions per game as Thomas did, yet he still ranked 16th in average yards per game. His 25.09 yard per catch average was second best in the nation. He's someone to keep an eye on.

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I don't think there is anyway Spiller would get by the Redskins.
    I think that's a bold statement, as I felt Spiller to the Seahawks @ 8 was probably a bit high for him at this point in the process. Obviously Portis' health is a concern, but something else to consider is, if the talk is true about Mike Shanahan as the new head coach in DC, it means a return to the zone blocking scheme that first made Portis a star in Denver. Plus, the Shanahan Broncos usually found their backfield talent outside the first round.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

What do you think about the Rams looking at Greg Hardy in the second round? The guy has been hurt the last two years but when he's healthy he is a true terror off the edge. Having him lined up beside Suh could be dominant.

Also what do you think of Central Michigan quarterback Dan Lefevour? I've seen the guy play a few times and thhought he looked excellent. Now it is against MAC competition, but dominant players dominate against weaker competition and thats what he did. Do you think he could be there in the late second to early third round?

Roll Tide
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

good to see G. McCoy as the 2nd pick. I thought about it if Suh goes to the Bucs #1 do the rams take G McCoy over Clausen?

It nice except the Raiders part lol they took Darius Heyward Bey over Crabtree?

ludairv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    good to see G. McCoy as the 2nd pick. I thought about it if Suh goes to the Bucs #1 do the rams take G McCoy over Clausen?

id think they go with Berry #2 Mccoy after suh? dont think so....hes pretty much the Suh consolatin prize....Berry is the next best prospect ....not a need. but the best playmaker in this draft...(yes i kno the rams need a push up front) but alot can happen from now and the draft...they can pick up an exptra pick from now and then to fill up need pos. (Otagwe deal*)

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39 View Post
    What do you think about the Rams looking at Greg Hardy in the second round?
    It would be tough for the Rams to go DL two rounds in a row, especially if there's good value on the board @ QB or WR, especially if the guy they'd be taking has some injury red flags.

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39 View Post
    Also what do you think of Central Michigan quarterback Dan Lefevour?
    I'm not gaga over him, but I'd look for him to come off the board between rounds three and five. He's going to need a solid offseason to minimize concerns regarding college scheme and a lack of strong physical tools for the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post

After Suh, I think it's anybody's guess. IMO, they could go Clausen, Bradford, McCoy, Berry, Bryant. I think Berry and McCoy are the next best, if you will, but the difference between them and a QB may not be as much as it is when Suh is an option.

Quote Originally Posted by ludairv View Post
    id think they go with Berry #2 Mccoy after suh? dont think so....hes pretty much the Suh consolatin prize....Berry is the next best prospect ....not a need. but the best playmaker in this draft...(yes i kno the rams need a push up front) but alot can happen from now and the draft...they can pick up an exptra pick from now and then to fill up need pos. (Otagwe deal*)
    We get it; you like Berry.

Atogwe leaving via free agency would definitely increase the chances of the Rams drafting Berry, but I think he's probably a dark horse for the Rams in the one or two spot, sort of like Dez Bryant is a dark horse. Possible, but not likely at this point. If the Rams miss out on Suh, my guess would be they'd either go McCoy or a QB.

todd1 is offline Registered User

Hey, Nick. What do you think of Danario Alexander? I'll admit up front I'm a Mizzou homer, but I think this guy has a chance to really blow up in the pre-draft process. I think he'll run real well and his senior film is ridiculously good. You think top of the 2nd round is too high for him, or could he be had at the top of the 3rd? I know he has an injury history, but I think he would be a great fit with our other receivers. What say you?

Quote Originally Posted by todd1 View Post
    Hey, Nick. What do you think of Danario Alexander? I'll admit up front I'm a Mizzou homer, but I think this guy has a chance to really blow up in the pre-draft process. I think he'll run real well and his senior film is ridiculously good. You think top of the 2nd round is too high for him, or could he be had at the top of the 3rd? I know he has an injury history, but I think he would be a great fit with our other receivers. What say you?
    It's tough to find a college receiver more productive than Danario Alexander was in 2009. I think the offseason events will be big for him, because I think scouts and coaches are going to want to see what kind of speed he displays and whether or not he'll be able to separate at the next level. Right now I think he'll be there in the third round, with some obvious room for fluxuation depending on how he performs at the Senior Bowl and Combine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast