Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's "All I Want for Christmas is a New Mock Draft" First-Round Mock Draft

Ho, ho, ho!! Happy holidays from good ol' Saint Nick! Or perhaps that's good ol' Saint Draft-Nick, because I present my new first-round mock draft just in time for Christmas! Which NFL teams have been naughty and which have been nice? I've made my list and checked it twice, so here we go!

2007 NFL MOCK DRAFT
    12-20-06
    * denotes underclassmen

1. Lions: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame

-Is there really another option for the Lions at this point in the draft? There's a possibility the Lions could go with someone like Joe Thomas to help the line or even Calvin Johnson even though they've been burned on high receivers before. But the general rule is when you don't have a franchise signal caller, you take one.

2. Raiders: Calvin Johnson*, WR, GA Tech

-Randy Moss said a month ago that he wouldn't mind moving on to another team, and Jerry Porter has been pushing Art Shell's buttons for a while. It's not out of the question that both could be elsewhere in 2007, leaving a big opening at receiver that Calvin Johnson would fill quite easily.

3. Buccaneers: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson

-Rumor has it that the Buccaneers may be looking to dump Simeon Rice and his huge salary only to add another top free agent DE (Dwight Freeney?). Regardless, the once strong pass rush of Tampa's defense needs some serious upgrades, so adding the best pass rusher in this draft would go a long way towards fixing things.

4. Cardinals: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin

-The Arizona offensive line has finally started to come together over the last few weeks, allowing only seven sacks since the bye week. But improvements still need to be made, especially if Leonard Davis signs elsewhere in March. Joe Thomas, the top offensive tackle in this class, should help protect Matt Leinart for years to come.

5. Texans: Adrian Peterson*, RB, Oklahoma

-Many think the Texans made a huge mistake last year by passing on electrifying runner Reggie Bush to take a defensive lineman in Mario Williams. Will the Texans make the same choice again and pass up on this year's best running back in Adrian Peterson? Even though Kubiak comes from Denver where running backs are interchangable, it's hard to pass up on an elite runner twice.

6. Browns: Alan Branch*, DL, Michigan

-Patriots defensive lineman Richard Seymour went to the Pro Bowl three times under defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel, but now that he's in Cleveland, Crennel has struggled to find that kind of playmaker for his defensive line. Enter Alan Branch, who like Seymour would line up primarily at end in Crennel's 3-4 scheme.

7. Redskins: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan

-Washington just recently spent a first round pick on a cornerback when they drafted Carlos Rogers in 2005. But the Redskins defense is still struggling, especially in the secondary. Washington would have liked to see Branch fall to them so they could have improved their interior D-line, but Hall is a nice second option to have.

8. Rams: LaRon Landry, FS, LSU

-The Rams have a long way to go if they want to field an effective defense. While improvements on the line are higher priorities, there isn't a lineman worth taking at this point. Instead, the Rams will look at LSU safety LaRon Landry, whose reliable efficiency against the run and the pass will be a welcomed change from OJ Atogwe's inconsistent play.

9. Vikings: Dwayne Jarrett*, WR, USC

-The Vikings went wide receiver in 2005 when they took Troy Williamson, hoping the young Gamecock could lessen the impact of Randy Moss' departure. Two seasons later, and the Vikings still need help at receiver as Williamson hasn't produced and the combo of Taylor/Robinson isn't getting any younger.

10. *****: Darrelle Revis*, CB, Pittsburgh

-San Francisco has surprised a lot of fans this season with a 6-8 season, but the fact remains that the defense just isn't ready for playoff contention just yet. While Walt Harris has had an impressive season, he's 32 and doesn't have much left in the tank. Revis gives San Fran a corner to start next to Shawntae Spencer for years to come.

11. Panthers: Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi

-It would be tempting for the Panthers to look at a quarterback here, because Jake Delhomme really has not looked sharp this season and Chris Weinke has been dreadful as a back-up. But a bigger concern might be the MLB position, where Dan Morgan simply cannot be counted on as a full time starter. Willis is a tackling machine that should help Carolina's defense return to dominance.

12. Packers: Marshawn Lynch*, RB, California

-Is the era of Brett Favre finally over? No one can say for sure, but the Packers would be smart to start planning for the future of their franchise. If Aaron Rodgers is going to have success behind center in Green Bay, he'll need a stud running back to hand the ball off to. Since Ahman Green is in a contract year, why not replace him with a young stud in Lynch?

13. Dolphins: Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno State

-McCauley has not had the senior season that a lot of analysts expected him to have. But his stock should see an up-swing after the season when Marcus will be able to show off his speed and athleticism. The Dolphins began the youth movement in their secondary last year by drafting Jason Allen, and will continue it in 2006 with McCauley.

14. Falcons: Reggie Nelson*, S, Florida

-Atlanta has been a very strange team this year. Besides the fact that they simply can't figure out what kind of offense they have, they also have fallen short on the defensive side of the ball. Their 12 interceptions this season ranks in the bottom half in the league, making a playmaking safety like Nelson a smart pick.

15. Chiefs: Levi Brown, OT, Penn State

-There are a number of problems that need fixed in Kansas City, but perhaps none more important than the offensive tackle position. Current left tackle Jordan Black has allowed 12 sacks this season, and the undersized Kyle Turley surely cannot be the long term answer at the right tackle position. Enter Brown, who will enjoy blocking for fellow Penn State alum Larry Johnson.

16. Steelers: LaMarr Woodley, OLB, Michigan

-The jury isn't quite in on whether or not Woodley is a pure defensive end or a potential 3-4 outside linebacker. I happen to think that Woodley could be a playmaker on his feet, and I think if there's any team that could make sure he reaches his potential at that position, it's a Pittsburgh Steelers team known for developing strong linebackers.

17. Giants: Quinn Pitcock, DT, Ohio State

-New York would have liked to snag one of the top cornerback or safety prospects, but will be more than content taking a highly rated defensive tackle from a national championship team. Pitcock's developing ability to rush the passer has added to his stock this season, allowing New York to finally close the book on the underachieving William Joseph.

18. Bills: Paul Posluszny, MLB, Penn State

-One would think it would be hard to find someone to fill soon-to-be free agent London Fletcher's shoes, but the Bills could very well complete that task in the first round by drafting Posluszny. The Penn State LB would be a great fit in the middle of a Cover 2 scheme, which is what defensive coordinator Perry Fewell (former DB coach of Chicago) would like to run.

19. Titans: Ted Ginn Jr*, WR, Ohio State

-The Titans may have a bigger need at RDE, but they also need a playmaking receiver for Vince Young to throw to. Ginn has received some criticism regarding his hands, but his ability to stretch the field should prove valuable for the Titans offense not only because of the deep threat Ginn provides but also the space such a threat would open up for the mobile Vince Young.

20. Patriots (f/SEA): Quentin Moses, OLB, Georgia

-Quentin Moses was formerly the top defensive prospect in this draft class, but a poor senior showing has him dropping down draft boards. That's not going to stop a coach like Bill Belichick from recognizing Moses' potential, though. As a 3-4 outside linebacker, Belichick and the Patriots coaching staff should be able to mold Quentin into another playmaking linebacker in New England.

21. Jets: Amobi Okoye, NT, Louisville

-Amobi Okoye is one of the more intriguing prospects in this draft, primarily because he'll be 19-years-old when drafted in April. Even at such a young age, Okoye has shown tremendous strength and ability on the field. As a potential nose tackle prospect, Okoye will be a very tempting selection for the New York Jets and their 3-4 defensive scheme.

22. Eagles: Michael Griffin, S, Texas

-Eagles safety Michael Lewis will likely test the free agent market this spring, and 33-year-old Brian Dawkins can't be expected to play all that much longer. Philadelphia needs to find someone to groom for the future, which is why Michael Griffin makes so much sense here. Griffin will spend a year or so learning behind Dawkins before stepping up.

23. Broncos: Ray McDonald, DL, Florida

-Denver's starting defensive line has an average age near 30-years-old, and their depth generally isn't much younger. Ray McDonald is a prospect with experience at both defensive tackle and defensive end, the latter of which he seems to be more productive at. At 6'3" and 284 lbs, he would offer a lot of bulk for Denver at the end position.

24. Jaguars: JaMarcus Russell*, QB, LSU

-Quarterback might not be the biggest need for Jacksonville, with positions like free safety, offensive guard, and defensive end also needing attention. But with rumors swirling about the Jags potentially parting ways with Byron Leftwich and David Garrard's inconsistent-at-best play this year, a signal caller for the future may be too good to pass up.

25. Bengals: Anthony Spencer, DE/OLB, Purdue

-Cincinnati received some bad news when word leaked out of David Pollack's career likely being over. Head coach Marvin Lewis is warning that such news is premature, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bengals look at a guy like Spencer to fill Pollack's place in their defensive plans. If Pollack comes back, even better - that gives them two young talented linebackers to utilize.

26. Cowboys: Justin Blalock, OL, Texas

-The Cowboys are having an electric season now that Tony Romo is in the line-up. But if Dallas wants to watch #9 as their long-term answer at quarterback, they're going to need to do a better job protecting him. Their talent on the right side of the offensive line leaves a lot to be desired, which is where Justin Blalock comes in. With the potential to play either guard or tackle, he's a solid choice for Dallas.

27. Saints: H.B. Blades, MLB, Pittsburgh

-New Orleans has made an incredbile run thus far in 2006, but you silently have to wonder how they're getting by with the Land of Misfit Toys starting for them at linebacker. Scott Fujita, Mark Simoneau, and Scott Shanle? This group needs an infusion of talent. Bring in a top college linebacker like H.B. Blades (best name ever, by the way) to challenge for a starting job.

28. Patriots: Aaron Ross, CB, Texas

-Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel could very easily test the free agent market, and three of the remaining five corners on New England's roster are Chad Scott, Ray Mickens, and Artrell Hawkins. Conclusion: help is needed. Ross, the 2006 Jim Thorpe award winner and part of the All-American 2nd team, will bring both athleticism and an aggressive style.

29. Ravens: Michael Bush, RB, Louisville

-In 2003, Jamal Lewis came very close to breaking Eric Dickerson's 1984 single-season rushing record. Since then, for whatever reason, he's been rather underwhelming. The Ravens would like to add help along the offensive line, but they also need additional help in the backfield. Despite being injured in 2006, Michael Bush should get a serious look here.

30. Colts: Tank Tyler, DT, NC State

-When you're giving up 173 rushing yards per game, you really need to think about addressing your defensive personnel. In this case, the Colts have the opportunity to do so by looking at NC State's Tank Tyler, who has the kind of quickness off the line that a defensive minded coach like Tony Dungy will like.

31. Bears: Rufus Alexander, OLB, Oklahoma

-Though Brian urlacher has come out and said he'd be willing to restructure his contract so the Bears can keep Lance Briggs, there's still a good chance the free agent outside linebacker hits the market and finds a new home. If that's the case, look for the Bears to quickly fill the hole by drafting a talented prospect such as Oklahoma's Alexander.

32. Chargers: Johnnie Lee Higgins, WR, UTEP

-Higgins likely isn't the fourth best receiver on a lot of boards right now, but there's more to consider than December draft position. Higgins is a burner that would bring a new dimension to a Chargers receiving group based more on bigger possession receivers. Also, it doesn't hurt that his cousin is current Chargers CB Quentin Jammer.
    Last edited by Nick; -12-21-2006 at 12:03 AM.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's "All I Want for Christmas is a New Mock Draft" First-Round Mock Draft

Nick, you tease, I was getting all excited to see your new mock draft!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

smizzhfx Guest

Re: Nick's "All I Want for Christmas is a New Mock Draft" First-Round Mock Draft

alright here nick, week 16 is fast approaching, aka tomorrow!

Mock draft has been posted! Comments and/or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Very realistic scenario for us, and I don't mind the pick at all. I think he's definitely a stud, I would love to try to see what we could get away with by trading up and getting Gaines Adams or Alan Branch...Try to get a good deal going with one of the teams ^___^

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Must say, Nick, I don't like what you've done with the Rams' pick.

Yes, Atogwe has been inconsistent, but he has also demonstrated some playmaking abilities (1 sack, 3 Ints., 7 passes defended, 4 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery). I think he's a guy you try to develop.

Also, if you think a guy like Willis, who fits one of the Rams' top needs, is worthy of a #11 pick, why not trade down three spots and get him along with an additional pick (could probably get an extra third round pick in doing so).

Perhaps trades are outside your projections, but unless Landry is the next Ed Reed, I don't like the pick.

Of course, its only December.

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Very realistic scenario for us, and I don't mind the pick at all. I think he's definitely a stud, I would love to try to see what we could get away with by trading up and getting Gaines Adams or Alan Branch...Try to get a good deal going with one of the teams ^___^
    According to the trade value chart, it would basically cost us a third round pick to move up to 6th overall to take Branch. It would cost much more to move up to third to take Adams - the difference in value between the 3rd and 8th picks is equivalent to another first round pick in the early 20s. Obviously moving up for Branch is the better option but then you have to ask yourself if Cleveland is willing to move down for equal value. They may want more if it means passing on a guy that could really help their defense.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Yes, Atogwe has been inconsistent, but he has also demonstrated some playmaking abilities (1 sack, 3 Ints., 7 passes defended, 4 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery). I think he's a guy you try to develop.
    If we're eliminating upgrades at positions where we have young players who have shown some playmaking ability, then we shouldn't plan on drafting/signing an offensive guard, center, defensive tackle, defensive end, strong side linebacker, or cornerback either. But obviously we need improvements at a lot of those positions, so I can't agree with you on this one. Yes OJ's a guy you keep trying to develop, but that doesn't mean you can't also get a player at the same position to push for the job. Just like we don't pass on bringing in additional personnel at DE simply because Adeyanju and Green have shown flashes of ability.

Something else to keep in mind though is that Atogwe is going to be entering a contract year in 2007. Maybe he does improve, but if he makes drastic improvements in his game, he'd probably want to test the free agent market and maximize his earnings. If he doesn't make drastic improvements in his game, then we'd probably want to make improvements there anyways. Drafting Landry gives us an insurance policy for either event.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Also, if you think a guy like Willis, who fits one of the Rams' top needs, is worthy of a #11 pick, why not trade down three spots and get him along with an additional pick (could probably get an extra third round pick in doing so).
    One, I never said that I thought Willis was worthy of the #11 pick. Rather, I project he's who Carolina would draft in that situation because of their current middle linebacker's inability to play a full season. Just because I have a guy going in one slot doesn't necessarily mean I think he's worthy of that slot. For instance, I'm not sure Rufus Alexander is really worth being a first round guy but he's who I have the Bears taking right now. That being said, I'd feel better about taking Willis @ 11 than I would @ 8, though I still think an ideal spot would be right around 15 or so. But obviously Willis' stock could improve. As you said, it's only December.

Two, you got it right, I don't project trades. It takes any realism a mock may possess, which given the nature of mocks is generally low to begin with, and throws it out the window, IMO. Besides, what's the motivation for the Vikings, *****, or Panthers to trade up to our spot? I don't see any, making a trade down very unlikely even if I were projecting them.
    Last edited by Nick; -12-21-2006 at 02:38 AM.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

the FS spot can be upgraded, but of all the young players in troubled positions on this team, Atogwe is the one to be doing the best. I feel with better players around him, specifically dealing with the line up front, he could be a solid player, if not better. If the DL improves then the safeties will be required to stop the run less, and the improved pass rush hurries QBs into making mistakes.

Now i dont mind taking a safety if we cant trade down or up in the draft, but i feel as we stand at the moment we need to be making a strong push for Branch, or to trade down to a spot where we can get a stud MLB. I dont feel we should reach for a position of need, because quite frankly there is a servere lack of talent on this defense which means that pretty much anyone we draft would be an upgrade over what we have.

Any idea on what we would have to give to trade up to a spot where we can get Branch? or what we could get to trade down to 11?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Any idea on what we would have to give to trade up to a spot where we can get Branch?
    Well, if we drop the next two, we could move as high as 4. Not that I'm picking a side in that debate, just sayin...

On the other hand, if we win the next two we could potentially be picking in the early 20s.

Gotta love parity.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

29. Ravens: Michael Bush, RB, Louisville
    I could be wrong, but didn't Bush say he was returning to school next year?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Any idea on what we would have to give to trade up to a spot where we can get Branch?
    It's in the post right above your's...

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I could be wrong, but didn't Bush say he was returning to school next year?
    Louisville QB Brian Brohm said he was returning to school, but I don't recall hearing anything about Bush.

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Great job as always, Nick. My question is based on our current 6-8 record are projected to pick #8 or is that where we were before beating Oakland?

WHAT SAY YE?

MikeB1603 is offline Registered User

I don't like the Landry pick. He's a great player but I don't feel like Chavous is playing as good from the strong side safety spot as we expected him to before the season, and next year he will move back to the FS position. The ideal situation in my eyes would be to sign Michael Lewis if he becomes a free agent and stick him in the SS spot while moving Chavous over to FS. I could see that combo doing very very well if it were to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Great job as always, Nick. My question is based on our current 6-8 record are projected to pick #8 or is that where we were before beating Oakland?

WHAT SAY YE?
    I believe we were projected at the 8-spot prior to beating Oakland, and based on the Week 13 outcomes, didn't shift from that spot after beating Oakland. Strange when you win a game and don't move, but the tiebreaker for teams of the same win-loss record is strength of schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB1603 View Post
    I don't like the Landry pick. He's a great player but I don't feel like Chavous is playing as good from the strong side safety spot as we expected him to before the season, and next year he will move back to the FS position. The ideal situation in my eyes would be to sign Michael Lewis if he becomes a free agent and stick him in the SS spot while moving Chavous over to FS. I could see that combo doing very very well if it were to happen.
    You mean the same Michael Lewis that essentially got benched by the Eagles for second year player Sean Considine? The same Michael Lewis whose agent supposedly classifies him on the same level as Ed Reed and Roy Williams? I dunno.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of moving Chavous to free safety, though I think on the strong side he'd make better use of his man coverage skills against tight ends and 'backs and ability in run support.

Personally, I think Chavous has been asked to do too much this season by moving him into the slot to serve as a nickel back, because I'm not convinced he has the speed and quickness to stay with fast wide receivers anymore. But I like him covering a tight end or back, and again, he's solid in run support.

MikeB1603 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You mean the same Michael Lewis that essentially got benched by the Eagles for second year player Sean Considine? The same Michael Lewis whose agent supposedly classifies him on the same level as Ed Reed and Roy Williams? I dunno.
    He is a risk, but I think his poor play this year has been a confidence problem. Given the situation to play here in St. Louis he will 1) Get a new start and most likely will be given the starting spot unless he loses it 2) be alongside Chavous who could teach Lewis quite a few things I'm sure 3) Get involved in doing what he does best, get up and stop the run.

In my eyes having his resurgence on the field alongside one or two more pickup through draft or FA that can start and we could be looking at a very fieldable defense next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of moving Chavous to free safety, though I think on the strong side he'd make better use of his man coverage skills against tight ends and 'backs and ability in run support.

Personally, I think Chavous has been asked to do too much this season by moving him into the slot to serve as a nickel back, because I'm not convinced he has the speed and quickness to stay with fast wide receivers anymore. But I like him covering a tight end or back, and again, he's solid in run support.
    I think Chavous is going to be a big part of the defense in the years to come. He has impressed me this year, to me he is a playmaker on the defense. But he needs a few playmakers around him as well, running backs shouldn't have so much room to make a move by the time Chavous is at the play.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -04-01-2008, 05:17 PM