• 1 Post By Vinnie25
  • 1 Post By jmk321
  • 1 Post By BarronWade
  • 2 Post By mde8352gorams
  • 1 Post By ManofGod

Thread: Nick's Bowl Game Celebration 2014 NFL Mock Draft

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Bowl Game Celebration 2014 NFL Mock Draft

As always, constructive criticism and comments are welcome!

1. Houston Texans: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
    -There are some other intriguing options for the Texans, but it's hard to see them not taking a new face of their franchise here.

2. St. Louis Rams (f/WAS): Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
    -I would not be surprised at all if the Rams traded down, but barring trade, I think they like Matthews best in this spot.

3. Oakland Raiders: Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA
    -The Raiders pass on a signal caller or an offensive weapon to take UCLA's Barr, arguably one of the safest prospects in this class.

4. Jacksonville Jaguars: Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    -The Jaguars have not done themselves a favor by winning some late season games, but in the end they still manage to find a new quarterback.

5. Atlanta Falcons: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
    -The Falcons may have to move up to ultimately land Clowney, but fortunately have him slip to them here in this projection.

6. Cleveland Browns: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
    -It may not be ideal to select the third best passer when picking sixth overall, but the Browns desperately need help at QB.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Cameron Erving, OT, Florida State
    -There are some other potential options for the Bucs, but an offensive tackle to eventually replace Donald Penn is as good as any other.

8. Minnesota Vikings: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
    -The Vikings found themselves reaching for a QB due to need when they selected Christian Ponder. Would Bortles be a reach here, or is he a legit top prospect?

9. Buffalo Bills: Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo
    -Mack to Buffalo is so perfect of a match that it's bound not to happen, but that won't stop me from mocking it and enjoying it for now.

10. Tennessee Titans: Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
    -The tackles in Tennessee are aging, so while some other positions might represent a larger need, I have the Titans going OL.

11. New York Giants: C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama
    -The Giants got a boost to their LB corps in Jon Beason, but could use some more talent in the unit.

12. Pittsburgh Steelers: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
    -Watkins falling out of the Top 10? It wouldn't surprise me, and Pittsburgh would be thrilled if it actually happened.

13. New York Jets: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    -The Jets need to get Geno Smith some more offensive weapons, so I expected them to look WR/TE early.

14. St. Louis Rams: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    -Dennard is arguably the best player on college football's best defense. He fills a big hole on a DB-needy Rams team.

15. Detroit Lions: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
    -Detroit continues to have needs in the secondary, and Gilbert will be contending to be the first DB off the board.

16. San Diego Chargers: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
    -After solidifying one tackle last year with D.J. Fluker, the Chargers get their second bookend in Lewan.

17. Dallas Cowboys: Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford
    -George Selvie's been a nice story for Dallas this year, but he's better off as a depth player.

18. Green Bay Packers: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
    -The Packers find another weapon for Aaron Rodgers; Ebron allows Jermichael Finley to test the market.

19. Baltimore Ravens: Marqise Lee, WR, USC
    -The Ravens offense has taken a step back, and some people cite Anquan Boldin's absence as the reason.

20. Philadelphia Eagles: Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon
    -Chip Kelly reunites with a former college player who also just happens to fill a need.

21. Chicago Bears: Stephon Tuitt, DL, Notre Dame
    -The Bears need some serious help on defense, and we're reaching the point in this class when DL begins to become very good value.

22. Miami Dolphins: Cyril Richardson, G, Baylor
    -With Richie Incognito's future in doubt, the Dolphins may want to consider restocking on the offensive line.

23. Cleveland Browns (f/IND): Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
    -Alex Mack is scheduled for free agency; if the Browns can't retain him, this may be a good opportunity to replace him.

24. Cincinnati Bengals: Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State
    -Vontaze Burfict has one OLB position locked up, but the Bengals need a plan for life after James Harrison.

25. Arizona Cardinals: Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
    -Darnell Dockett is bouncing back slightly after some down years under Ken Whisenhunt, but at 32-years-old, the Cardinals need to plan for a future without him.

26. New England Patriots: Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame
    -The Patriots have seen a lot of turnover on their defensive line, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them grab a top talent at the position.

27. Carolina Panthers: Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
    -Carolina needs to find a consistent weapon to play opposite Steve Smith and eventually replace him as the go-to target.

28. San Francisco *****: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    -Receiver is tempting, but the ***** could really use some cornerback help as well.

29. New Orleans Saints: Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson
    -Parys Haralson is a journeyman who should be replaced sooner rather than later.

30. Kansas City Chiefs: Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
    -Amaro represents a huge upgrade over Anthony Fasano for the Chiefs.

31. Denver Broncos: Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
    -Eric Decker is scheduled to hit free agency and the long term future of Wes Welker isn't certain.

32. Seattle Seahawks: Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
    -Given the issues the Seahawks have had with their corners this year, restocking the pond would be wise.
    laram0, ManofGod and Randart like this.

Randart is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's Bowl Game Celebration 2014 NFL Mock Draft

I like it Nick it helps us in areas we could certainly use the help. I assume your going by the book and no trades projected correct? As we have seen thus far under our current regime there more than likely will be at least one of our picks traded I would guess as most would be to a down the draft position. In order to accumulate more picks. Love the way Les & Fish etc have attacked each draft thus far expect more of same this year for sure!

Thanks for sharing your insights and picks with us Nick!
    Nick likes this.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Works for me, though I believe Hell will freeze over before Coach will draft an OL in the first round.
    Nick likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Works for me, though I believe Hell will freeze over before Coach will draft an OL in the first round.
    Why? Has Fisher ever said that?
    Nick likes this.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Why? Has Fisher ever said that?
    It's the great half truth people are saying about Fisher. I've mentioned it in other discussions. Fisher never drafted a first round OL when he was in Tenn yes that's true. But the line he had when he took over the team included three first rounders, a second and a third rounder. One of those firsts is of course the hall of fame father of Jake Matthews. So having inherited so strong an oline, and having a great oline coach in Munchak at the time he was able to get buy with drafting second and third rounders a couple years prior to needing them, coaching them up and getting by without having to spend a 1st rounder on the oline. It's true yes he never drafted oline in the first, but it's also ignoring the truths of the roster he had to claim he won't draft one for the Rams. The line he inherited here pales in comparison to the Titans/Oilers line he had. I see him doing the same thing he did there after taking over once he builds up the line to satisfaction. Getting it strong then drafting mid rounders to develop as depth and replacements.
    Nick and Torry Holt like this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I haven't seen Darqueze Dennard play too much this year but I've heard he's pretty good. One negative I've heard about him is that he's kind of injury prone, which might scare off the Rams. Also with JJ and T Johnson playing pretty well (and Finnegan still in the fold) I don't see CB as that much of an immediate need; I'd much rather draft a Safety
    Nick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    I assume your going by the book and no trades projected correct?
    Correct. Obviously they will happen, and as the process goes along, I'll probably do some mocks that include them. But not quite yet.

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    It's true yes he never drafted oline in the first, but it's also ignoring the truths of the roster he had to claim he won't draft one for the Rams.
    That would have been along the lines of my response, yes. Did he not draft an OL in the first round because he never had a need for one, or did he not draft an OL in the first round despite a glaring need and opportunity simply due to personal preference? Just stating he hasn't done it ignores the nuance between those two very different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I haven't seen Darqueze Dennard play too much this year but I've heard he's pretty good. One negative I've heard about him is that he's kind of injury prone, which might scare off the Rams. Also with JJ and T Johnson playing pretty well (and Finnegan still in the fold) I don't see CB as that much of an immediate need; I'd much rather draft a Safety
    I'd much rather draft a safety as well, but right now I don't think Clinton-Dix is great value at that point, and I don't think either of us want the Rams reaching for need.

The Rams are allowing opposing QBs to amass a QB rating of 95.2, which is 24th best in the league. Teams are throwing for 258 yards per game on the Rams, which ranks 27th. This, despite having a pass rush ranked in the Top 5 in terms of sacks. I don't think Jenkins and Johnson are doing such an outstanding job at corner that they can't be upgraded upon, and even if they were, then we have three really good corners and won't feel obligated to carry Finnegan's contract.

Dennard does have some injury issues that will have to be medically checked out. However, despite those injuries, he's played in over forty college football games, as the injuries haven't caused him to miss significant time over his playing career. Definitely something worth checking out, though.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I'm fine with the Rams drafting a guy who somehow gave up only 7 yards a game and .82 yards per attempt. I don't know how much that stat has to do with the defense as a whole or his individual talent but those numbers are insane and kind of hard to comprehend.

I also see most mocks having the Raiders not taking a QB with their pick. It seems strange to me that the team would just roll the dice with the subpar QB's currently on the roster and not take a player at the game's most important position in what looks like a pretty great year for QB's even if there isn't any Andrew Luck type prospect. Dennis Allen going into his 3rd season as a head coach makes the option of not taking a QB seem even less likely to me. Usually coaches get a 3 year window to prove their worth as an NFL head coach and the Raiders would probably want to get a QB to see if they want to keep going forward with Allen.

I know Anthony Barr and Clowney look like future All-Pros but the value of a good QB far outweighs the value of even the best pass rusher. For me, the ideal scenario for the Rams would be if the Vikings viewed this as a draft with 4 top 10 worthy QB's and gave the Rams an RGIII type offer to ensure that they grabbed one of these guys. This could happen because it will either be a last ditch effort in a make or break year for Leslie Frasier in 2014 or the team will want to give their new head coach a franchise signal caller. All of this could change though because it's only December.
    Nick likes this.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Also the Dennard selection the way you put make plenty of sense but i like Justin Gilbert I think Dennard and Gilbert are basically head to head at this point I like Gilbert because of his ability on special teams he has 5 return TDs and Gilbert is aggressive at going for the gamebreaking picks
    Nick likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Nice work Nick. I like the selections for the Rams, although CB may not be as much a need in round 1, but being a Big 10 fan, sign me up. Given the weakness of this draft at the top, I'm more than ever convinced that the Rams will trade down to gather more picks in rounds 2-3. I don't think the story of Jeff not being for drafting OL's in round 1 is hard and fast. If Mathews is the BPA when we select, Fisher won't let his beliefs stand in the way of what's best for the team.

As for the other picks, I have a hard time seeing Barr going before Clowney, but the Raiders are so dysfunctional when it come to the draft, and everything else for that matter. I learned today that the last HC to work 3 straight years for the Raiders was John Gruden which was over 10 years ago.

I agree with Ebron to the Packers but mostly because Finley may be done as a player due to his injury. His market value cannot be too high. I think after last week's game the Saints may be more in the market for OT's rather than OLB's, but as always who is available will drive the selection. Isn't Nix a younger version of Vince Wilfork? Not saying he's a bad pick, but they're both nose tackles so if Wilfork's days as a Pat are over Nix would be a solid pick.

Didn't the Vikings take another QB from Central Florida back in the '90's? My memory stinks as I cannot remember his name, but he last played for the Dolphins before retiring.

I see you don't have Clinton-Dix going in round 1. I agree, I think he's overrated due to being the best of a weak class. He's talented, but I ask has Mark Barron set the world on fire? So much for Alabama safeties.

Go Rams!
    Nick and Randart like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    I also see most mocks having the Raiders not taking a QB with their pick. It seems strange to me that the team would just roll the dice with the subpar QB's currently on the roster and not take a player at the game's most important position in what looks like a pretty great year for QB's even if there isn't any Andrew Luck type prospect. Dennis Allen going into his 3rd season as a head coach makes the option of not taking a QB seem even less likely to me. Usually coaches get a 3 year window to prove their worth as an NFL head coach and the Raiders would probably want to get a QB to see if they want to keep going forward with Allen.
    If Allen stays around, I think he'll be in a put up or shut up kind of situation where he may be more tempted to go after a veteran quarterback than draft a high pick rookie who may struggle in Year One. I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders took a QB in the first round - clear it's a need - but I think they'd see more immediate impact from signing a veteran in free agency and Allen is going to need to make a case for his job sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Also the Dennard selection the way you put make plenty of sense but i like Justin Gilbert I think Dennard and Gilbert are basically head to head at this point I like Gilbert because of his ability on special teams he has 5 return TDs and Gilbert is aggressive at going for the gamebreaking picks
    I agree that Dennard and Gilbert appear to be neck and neck for the top CB spot right now. I'm not sure how much Gilbert's return skills will feature into the Rams' discussions since they just drafted Tavon in part for his return skills.

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Nice work Nick. I like the selections for the Rams, although CB may not be as much a need in round 1, but being a Big 10 fan, sign me up. Given the weakness of this draft at the top, I'm more than ever convinced that the Rams will trade down to gather more picks in rounds 2-3. I don't think the story of Jeff not being for drafting OL's in round 1 is hard and fast. If Mathews is the BPA when we select, Fisher won't let his beliefs stand in the way of what's best for the team.
    I think they'll be looking to trade down as well. It's going to be fun to see how many picks this RGIII deal ultimately supplies the Rams with.

As for the other picks, I have a hard time seeing Barr going before Clowney, but the Raiders are so dysfunctional when it come to the draft, and everything else for that matter. I learned today that the last HC to work 3 straight years for the Raiders was John Gruden which was over 10 years ago.
    I would not be surprised if Clowney's off the field issues cause him to slip a little bit, where a "safer" prospect like Barr is elevated. But a lot will depend on the final draft order and team needs.

I agree with Ebron to the Packers but mostly because Finley may be done as a player due to his injury. His market value cannot be too high. I think after last week's game the Saints may be more in the market for OT's rather than OLB's, but as always who is available will drive the selection. Isn't Nix a younger version of Vince Wilfork? Not saying he's a bad pick, but they're both nose tackles so if Wilfork's days as a Pat are over Nix would be a solid pick.
    For the Saints, I didn't like the value of OT there. I did not project the second TA&M tackle or the kid out of Auburn (name is escaping me right now) as available in this mock. As for Wilfork, he's 32, entering the final year of his deal, and coming off of a major injury.

Didn't the Vikings take another QB from Central Florida back in the '90's? My memory stinks as I cannot remember his name, but he last played for the Dolphins before retiring.
    Mr. Daunte Culpepper, nice job with the college connection!

I see you don't have Clinton-Dix going in round 1. I agree, I think he's overrated due to being the best of a weak class. He's talented, but I ask has Mark Barron set the world on fire? So much for Alabama safeties.

Go Rams!
    I could see him in the middle or late half of Round One depending on how his medical checks go at the Combine, but in this projection, he did not make it in.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

I'm not mad at this mock at all, but only if we find a way to land Byrd in the off-season. Dennard is a flat out stud, which is why I don't understand why many mocks have him going in the 2nd round. He reminds me alot of R. Sherman, plays well & let's you know about it.
    Nick likes this.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

I agree that Dennard and Gilbert appear to be neck and neck for the top CB spot right now. I'm not sure how much Gilbert's return skills will feature into the Rams' discussions since they just drafted Tavon in part for his return skills.
    Only reason i put the special teams skill in their is Austin's current health because like all returners he is going to take shots and have those lingering injuries so its good to have more than 1 guy capable to break games open on special teams

Also I thought I posted this in this thread i guess i never hit submit BUT...

Trust I love Jake Mathews for the Rams I think he would be a great fit just not there....JD Clowney has monster potential I understand the Rams do not have a need at DE because of Long and Quinn But i dont think you can pass up a talent like that

JD Clowney might have some maturity issues but look at coach's track record...I know DE is not a need at all but sorry if CLowney is not the board and the Rams dont trade out I think you have to take clowney and let him an Quinn run stunts side by side (good luck blocking that)

In the end I do believe we trade out but in a mock where we pick number 2 and Clowney is there I just cannot see us passing up on him