Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Nick's Early December 2014 NFL Mock Draft

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Early December 2014 NFL Mock Draft

As always, constructive comments and opinions are welcome!

1. Houston Texans: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
    -With Gary Kubiak fired and a new regime incoming after this season, it seems only logical that the Texans would spend the first overall pick on a new face of the franchise.

2. St. Louis Rams (f/WAS): Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
    -Protecting Sam Bradford should remain a priority in St. Louis; Jake's dad Bruce played for Jeff Fisher in Tennessee, which should only bolster the likelihood of this pick provided the Rams don't trade down.

3. Atlanta Falcons: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
    -There's a part of me that thinks Clowney is going to slip due to off the field issues, making UCLA's Anthony Barr a great fit here for the Falcons. But their need for an edge rusher makes the South Carolina standout hard to pass up.

4. Minnesota Vikings: Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    -The Christian Ponder era in Minnesota has likely come to an end, and the Josh Freeman era isn't going to be ushered in. If the Vikings have a shot at a top quarterback, they should take it.

5. Oakland Raiders: Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA
    -Lots of directions the Raiders could go here. Offensive tackle and wide receiver made sense, but Barr is too good to pass up for a defense that could really use his playmaking ability.

6. Jacksonville Jaguars: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
    -Manziel is a reach at this point in the draft in my books, but I think the Jaguars are so starved for help at the quarterback position and in such need of a shot to the arm that they'll be willing to try to catch lightning in a bottle here.

7. Cleveland Browns: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
    -The Browns could reach for the fourth best quarterback here, or they could bolster the weapons around their eventual passer by taking Clemson's Sammy Watkins. He'd shine across from Josh Gordon, if the latter remains in Cleveland.

8. Buffalo Bills: Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo
    -This pick just makes too much sense, which means that it's almost guaranteed not to happen. Still, Mack would be an outstanding selection for a Bills team that could use some excitement for their fan base.

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Cameron Erving, OT, Florida State
    -The Buccaneers may have preferred a defensive end, but they'll take a local prospect in Erving and groom him to eventually replace Donald Penn at left tackle.

10. Pittsburgh Steelers: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
    -A wide receiver has some potential here, but I think the Steelers are going to want to grab one of the hard nosed offensive linemen if they have a shot at one. Lewan strikes me as just the kind of guy Pittsburgh likes.

11. Tennessee Titans: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    -Alterraun Verner is playing well this year, but he's a free agent after this season. Will the Titans shell out the money that will be required to keep him? If not, cornerback will be a huge need for them.

12. St. Louis Rams: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    -Though they drafted Tavon Austin last year, the Rams still lack a consistent playmaker from the outside. Evans has drawn comparisons to Tampa Bay receiver Vincent Jackson, whom some wanted to see the Rams pursue when he was a free agent.

13. New York Giants: C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama
    -The Giants' linebacking corps was boosted with the addition of Jon Beason, but they still need more help. Mosley is a very good linebacker who could be off the board at this point, making him a no-brainer for the Giants.

14. New York Jets: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
    -The Jets may have preferred to see a receiver slip to them here, and they may consider USC's Marqise Lee. But they've also seen what New England has been able to do in the division with quality tight ends, and could opt for someone like Ebron.

15. San Diego Chargers: Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
    -The Chargers drafted D.J. Fluker to man the right side of their line, but they simply can't put long term faith in the walking concussion King Dunlap. Cyrus Kouandjio gives San Diego a legit left tackle.

16. Green Bay Packers: Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame
    -Ryan Pickett's time in Green Bay could soon be coming to a close, so the Packers are going to need to think about restocking the pond. Nix's draft stock is up in the air at the moment due to his injury, but I could see him working his way back into the Top 20 mix.

17. Baltimore Ravens: Marqise Lee, WR, USC
    -The Ravens haven't been the same team without Anquan Boldin, and while I'm not positive that Lee is still a great value in the Top 20, I think the Ravens will be intrigued with the idea of adding a capable receiver to their offensive unit.

18. Chicago Bears: Stephon Tuitt, DT, Notre Dame
    -The Bears are a mess at defensive tackle, and have been one of the worst teams in terms of defending the run this season. Tuitt could help bolster their defensive line and get them back on track.

19. Detroit Lions: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
    -The Lions have had a need at cornerback for years now, so look for them to think about taking one in the first round. With only one off the board at this point, Detroit will be very happy to grab Gilbert here.

20. Dallas Cowboys: Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State
    -Dallas' move to the Tampa 2 system requires better play from their linebacking unit. Sean Lee is an outstanding defender, but neither Bruce Carter nor Ernie Sims have impressed very much. Shazier would certainly be a big upgrade.

21. Miami Dolphins: Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
    -Charles Clay is a fine player, but will hit free agency after 2014 and, if he continues to impress, may command a big pay day. One could argue Amaro is better, anyways. But if they had both, that'd be great news for Ryan Tannehill.

22. Philadelphia Eagles: Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon
    -Former Oregon coach Chip Kelly reunites with a former player in Ekpre-Olomu in this scenario, which is great for a Philadelphia team that isn't exactly getting great play from their current stable of cornerbacks.

23. Arizona Cardinals: Trent Murphy, LB, Stanford
    -John Abraham has been great in Arizona, but that doesn't change the fact that he's 35-years-old and a long term plan needs to be in place at the outside linebacker position.

24. Cleveland Browns (f/IND): Blake Bortles, QB, UCF
    -The Browns waited until their second pick in this mock - which I don't know if they can afford to do if this were the real thing - and were able to find a signal caller in Blake Bortles who could be in the first round mix when it's all said and done.

25. Cincinnati Bengals: Hasean Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
    -There's very little about the Bengals' personnel at safety that really blows me away, meaning they could afford to look for an upgrade if the value is right. Clinton-Dix could be viewed as pretty good value at this point.

26. Carolina Panthers: Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
    -The Panthers need to find a legitimate receiver to play opposite Steve Smith before Smith retires and then they have no one. Robinson is a Top Five receiver in this class and could sneak into the first round.

27. San Francisco *****: Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
    -Justin Smith is a fantastic player in San Francisco's three man front, but at some point the ***** need to start planning for life after him. I'd be surprised if Hageman is still available here, but if he is, he makes a boatload of sense.

28. Kansas City Chiefs: Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
    -Donnie Avery is starting opposite Dwayne Bowe in Kansas City. Do I need to repeat that, Rams fans? The Chiefs could use some help at the receiver position, making Matthews an intriguing selection.

29. New England Patriots: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
    -So Rob Gronkowski is hurt... what else is new? Even though he's signed to a mega-deal and likely isn't going anywhere any time soon, I would not be shocked at all to see the Patriots go back to the tight end well and grab a talent like Seferian-Jenkins.

30. New Orleans Saints: Shayne Skov, LB, Stanford
    -The Saints may have been hoping for a pass rushing outside linebacker like Skov's teammate Trent Murphy, but having a consistent force on the inside of their 3-4 alignment will be a big help for the Saints as well.

31. Seattle Seahawks: Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
    -I don't think the combination of James Carpenter and J.R. Sweezy (really?) is getting it done for the Seahawks. Cyril Richardson is the best interior line prospect in this class, and would be an excellent choice for Seattle here.

32. Denver Broncos: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    -Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Chris Harris have been solid for the Broncos, but I don't believe either are locked up long term. Maybe Denver gets one of them extended, but if they can't do both, perhaps they restock in the draft.
    AvengerRam and punahou like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Nick's Early December 2014 NFL Mock Draft

Nicely done!

I like Matthews and Evans for the Rams. If they were the picks, I'd expect the next two selections on Day 2 to be DBs.

The pick I really don't like is Hageman to the Niners. I'd hate to see them get a guy like that to anchor the middle of their defense.
    Nick and punahou like this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Great looking mock! There's a lot of picks that seem to fit team profiles, like Green Bay's ability to grab a talent that somehow seems to fall through the cracks. I could easily see Nix take a small plunge and a team like Green Bay snatching him up.

11 is a good landing point for Dennard. I think he's going to climb up boards as we approach the off season. I like Erving leapfrogging Lewan too. Erving's athleticism might be too much for a team to pass over.

Clinton-Dix to cincy makes sense, as they're a team that doesn't get swayed much by off the field issues, in this case minor ones. They need some help at safety too.

I can't say with confidence right now that I would be happy with the Rams taking Evans. I don't doubt his ability to go up and grab the ball, but I'm still wavering on his speed and precision route running. The workouts and pro days should probably clear things up.
    Nick likes this.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Great looking mock! There's a lot of picks that seem to fit team profiles, like Green Bay's ability to grab a talent that somehow seems to fall through the cracks. I could easily see Nix take a small plunge and a team like Green Bay snatching him up.

11 is a good landing point for Dennard. I think he's going to climb up boards as we approach the off season. I like Erving leapfrogging Lewan too. Erving's athleticism might be too much for a team to pass over.

Clinton-Dix to cincy makes sense, as they're a team that doesn't get swayed much by off the field issues, in this case minor ones. They need some help at safety too.

I can't say with confidence right now that I would be happy with the Rams taking Evans. I don't doubt his ability to go up and grab the ball, but I'm still wavering on his speed and precision route running. The workouts and pro days should probably clear things up.
    If he can be like Calvin Johnson and just either out-muscle people, or use his frame to shield defenders from the ball, then I would be ecstatic to get him. In this day and age of football, I read too many posts where players have to einsteinic geniuses to play the game.

Whatever happened to--- run over there, the balls coming to you- and may the better athlete win=)
    Nick likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Early indeed but, so far so good!

Seems it would be difficult for the Rams NOT to have a great D-day in 2014.

=================================================

Your 1st pick: TERRIFIC rookie player potential - RAMS!

Jake Mathews
    #75 OT Sophomore[!] Texas A&M Aggies
    Hometown MISSOURI, TX
    Height 6-5, Weight 307 lbs.

Your 2nd pick: TERRIFIC rookie player potential - RAMS!

Mike Evans
    #13 WR Sophomore[!] Texas A&M Aggies
    Hometown GALVESTON, TX
    Height 6-5, Weight 225 lbs.

Last edited by RealRam; -12-12-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Images
    Nick and Rammed like this.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Like the picks for the Rams a lot. Think those two help Sam out beyond measure. I am tempted to say the Jags go with Bortles over Johnny Collapsethepocketbymyself.

Unfortunately you gave our division rivals three good players I like heh. Hate to see them get talent I like.
    Nick likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Early indeed but, so far so good!

Seems it would be difficult for the Rams NOT to have a great D-day in 2014.

Your 1st pick: TERRIFIC rookie player potential - RAMS!

Jake Mathews
    #75 OT Sophomore[!] Texas A&M Aggies
    Hometown MISSOURI, TX
    Height 6-5, Weight 307 lbs.

Your 2nd pick: TERRIFIC rookie player potential - RAMS!

Mike Evans
    #13 WR Sophomore[!] Texas A&M Aggies
    Hometown GALVESTON, TX
    Height 6-5, Weight 225 lbs.

still on the fence about mike evans...considering what defenses he's played against....and with manziel able to just run around like a video game, doubt that happens in the nfl...i'd have to wait and see the combine...and i wish i saw how he was without manziel
    Nick likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I would love Clowney and Evans, but can live with Mathews. Evans is an excellent pick. Big bodied WR that will go up and make the contested catch. Sam hasn't had a guy like Evans in his career and I believe he can benefit greatly from having someone like Mike. That's a solid pick up.

Mathews is a good player himself, I just don't see OT as an immediate need. I'd simply go BPA there and take a prospect that not many could pass up on, Jadeveon Clowney.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Mathews is a good player himself, I just don't see OT as an immediate need. I'd simply go BPA there and take a prospect that not many could pass up on, Jadeveon Clowney.
    While Barksdale has done a fairly good job at RT, I think most would agree that Matthews is a much better long-term prospect.

Clowney, on the other hand, is not necessarily a better long-term prospect than Chris Long.

You can say what you want about Clowney "protecting himself" or being "banged up" this year, but the fact remains... he has NOT been an impact player this season. He might have all the natural talent in the world, but thee are no guarantees.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    While Barksdale has done a fairly good job at RT, I think most would agree that Matthews is a much better long-term prospect.

Clowney, on the other hand, is not necessarily a better long-term prospect than Chris Long.

You can say what you want about Clowney "protecting himself" or being "banged up" this year, but the fact remains... he has NOT been an impact player this season. He might have all the natural talent in the world, but thee are no guarantees.
    I'm just simply on train for the BPA pick at #2. I've watched Clowney's tape this year and he's been very disruptive. No he doesn't have as many sacks, but that tends to happen when you're annointed as the best prospect in so many years and the most dominant player in college football. To me he is still THE prospect.

He's been outstanding against the run. He's definitely slowed down in the pass rush department, but I think that's from a combo of things. He's doubled quite often, teams gameplan better against him, he's hurt, he may even be "holding back"..

Mathews is a good prospect, but I don't think there is much of a gap if there is any at all between him and the rest of the OT's. Clowney is far and beyond the best DE. With Clowney's potential and raw athleticism, I'd be HAPPY to spend the #2 pick on him. I mean really, just 1 year ago everyone and their mothers called this guy "a meaner Julius Peppers", "The best prospect since ____ (fill in the blank)", and "The potential #1 pick", and now all of a sudden everyone is so worried about everything.

Sure there are things to be worried about. But I think all that non-sense about him having a lousy work ethic and him not caring will be answered through his interviews. Classy guy and a dominant player.

Mathews to me does not warrant the #2 pick because he simply is NOT the 2nd best player. A lot of people seem to think guys like Irving and Kouandijo have a lot more potential and can be better in the pro's.

I simply feel like Clowney would be a better addition. We have two first round picks. Supply Sam with a weapon, and continue to build the defense in a division where power running is #1.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Mathews is a good prospect, but I don't think there is much of a gap if there is any at all between him and the rest of the OT's. Clowney is far and beyond the best DE.
    I fail to see why that's relevant give that DE is the lowest need position for the Rams.

ramstiles is online now Registered User

Mathews works for me, the better the O line the better the skill players will play
    Rambos likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Nice draft Nick.

I have come to the light and think we do need to add a WR and Mike Evans is a perfect fit. He could be that number one target day one. His size is much needed on this team and in our physical division against the bigger DB on the Hawks makes sense.

Jake Matthews is a no-brainer makes to much sense to pass him up. Looking back at last year how many OT went top ten? You have to have a great O line if you want to play with the big boys.

My only change to this mock:

1. Houston Texans: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
    -With Gary Kubiak fired and a new regime incoming after this season, it seems only logical that the Texans would spend the first overall pick on a new face of the franchise.

2. Minnesota Vikings: Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State (Trade with the Rams)
    -The Christian Ponder era in Minnesota has likely come to an end, and the Josh Freeman era isn't going to be ushered in. If the Vikings have a shot at a top quarterback, they should take it.

3. Atlanta Falcons: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
    -There's a part of me that thinks Clowney is going to slip due to off the field issues, making UCLA's Anthony Barr a great fit here for the Falcons. But their need for an edge rusher makes the South Carolina standout hard to pass up.

4. St. Louis Rams (f/MIN): Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
    -Protecting Sam Bradford should remain a priority in St. Louis; Jake's dad Bruce played for Jeff Fisher in Tennessee. The Rams do trade down.

I'm greedy that way

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa
    he may even be "holding back"..
    May be holding?? he MAY be holding back??

With Clowney's potential and raw athleticism, I'd be HAPPY to spend the #2 pick on him.
    With Gholston's potential and raw athleticism, I'd be HAPPY to spend the #2 pick on him.
    lostsoul likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    May be holding?? he MAY be holding back??

With Gholston's potential and raw athleticism, I'd be HAPPY to spend the #2 pick on him.
    The difference is Gholston was simply a workout warrior and climbed big time because of it. Clowney has been dominant and posses so much more skill and talent than Gholston did coming out, it's not even comparable. Clowney is on a Suh/Luck level. Gholston more of a Larry English and Robert Ayers level, nothing special.

THE DREAM TEAM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast