Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Nick's Early December 2014 NFL Mock Draft

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's Early December 2014 NFL Mock Draft

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I fail to see why that's relevant give that DE is the lowest need position for the Rams.
    It was for the Giants as well but that didn't stop them from taking Jason Pierre-Paul. I simply think Clowney is a special prospect and I'd take him at #2 over any of the remaining players.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    It was for the Giants as well but that didn't stop them from taking Jason Pierre-Paul. I simply think Clowney is a special prospect and I'd take him at #2 over any of the remaining players.
    JPP was the 15th pick in the draft.

If the Rams' own pick is No. 15 and Clowney is there, then fine... I'd consider him if he was regarded as the BPA.

I would not, however, spend a Top 5 pick on a player who would end up rotating with Long, Quinn and Hayes.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The difference is Gholston was simply a workout warrior and climbed big time because of it. Clowney has been dominant and posses so much more skill and talent than Gholston did coming out, it's not even comparable. Clowney is on a Suh/Luck level. Gholston more of a Larry English and Robert Ayers level, nothing special.
    Now, now....let's not participate in revisionist history. Gholston was every bit as productive in his career as Clowney was. And leading up to his draft, nobody saw Gholston as a diminished prospect. He was an elite prospect, physically dominant and raw with certain intangible question marks. Just like Clowney.

Now, am I saying that Clowney will fizzle like Gholston? Not necessarily.

But Clowney has a ton of question marks over him that would make me very wary of taking him with the #2 pick.
    Randart likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

In his last year at Ohio State, Gholston had 14.5 sacks, breaking Mike Vrabel's school record.

Hardly a mere "workout warrior."

shower beers is offline Registered User

I watched every game of Gholston's senior year and he hardly came out of nowhere. Like Av mentioned, he broke the school record for sacks and was flat out dominant, beating St. Louis' own Jake Long on several occasions, a feat not many were able to do that year. Gholston just didn't have the desire for pro success it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Now, now....let's not participate in revisionist history. Gholston was every bit as productive in his career as Clowney was. And leading up to his draft, nobody saw Gholston as a diminished prospect. He was an elite prospect, physically dominant and raw with certain intangible question marks. Just like Clowney.

But Clowney has a ton of question marks over him that would make me very wary of taking him with the #2 pick.
    Fair enough. I DON'T have those same questions which is why I would take Clowney.

THE DREAM TEAM

Mikey is online now Registered User

And tell me hows the Giants OLine? How is there secondary? How about those running backs? Justifying wasting the #2 pick cause another team did something somewhat similar is a weak argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    And tell me hows the Giants OLine? How is there secondary? How about those running backs? Justifying wasting the #2 pick cause another team did something somewhat similar is a weak argument.
    It got them a Superbowl didn't it?

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

It got them a Superbowl didn't it?
    ...are you serious?

In the five years prior to drafting JPP, the Giants had a record of 49-31, were in the playoffs four of those five times, and actually won a Super Bowl already in that span. Meanwhile, in the last five years, the Rams have a record of 22-54 with zero playoff appearances during that span.

Clearly, the Giants were already pretty well stocked with talent before they decided to spend a first round pick on a luxury position, which I'm fairly certain was Mikey's point. It's a rather apples to oranges comparison when you take a closer look at the two teams being compared.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    ...are you serious?

In the five years prior to drafting JPP, the Giants had a record of 49-31, were in the playoffs four of those five times, and actually won a Super Bowl already in that span. Meanwhile, in the last five years, the Rams have a record of 22-54 with zero playoff appearances during that span.

Clearly, the Giants were already pretty well stocked with talent before they decided to spend a first round pick on a luxury position, which I'm fairly certain was Mikey's point. It's a rather apples to oranges comparison when you take a closer look at the two teams being compared.
    Now I'm not saying JPP was the missing factor and he was solely the reason they won, but clearly as many people say you win in the trenches. The Giants had no troubles spending their first round pick on a "backup" DE and huge project in JPP when they already had perennial pro bowlers in Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora, not to mention another solid DE in Mathias Kiwanuka.

To me Clowney is the BPA. At #2 I'm not reaching for anything, therefore I will take the BPA, which is Clowney.

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The Giants had no troubles spending their first round pick on a "backup" DE and huge project in JPP when they already had perennial pro bowlers in Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora, not to mention another solid DE in Mathias Kiwanuka.
    And again, it's pretty obvious why they could; they already had an established playoff if not Super Bowl contending team in place, and thus could afford a luxury pick in the middle of the first round.

Which represents a huge difference when compared to the Rams' present situation.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

Comparing Clowney to Vernon Gholston is like comparing apples to oranges. Most scouts considered Gholston a classic tweener when he came out. He was a productive DE in college who was too small to play the same position in the pros. Teams thought that maybe he could transition to a OLB position due to his athleticism and speed, but he just didn't have the instincts to play the position. I highly doubt that Clowney will play any position other than DE in the NFL.
    sosa39rams likes this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Bottom line is that our offense needs to score more points. Jake Matthews would be a better contributor to that than Clowney who would be rotating with Long and Quinn.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Bottom line is that our offense needs to score more points. Jake Matthews would be a better contributor to that than Clowney who would be rotating with Long and Quinn.
    I agree, with all the soon-to-be FA's along our offensive line I think drafting JM would be the best thing for the Rams. If the Rams were planning on going defense with their 1st round picks I'd rather them draft a DT or a Safety (either one of Nix or Dix would suffice) than add another DE.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Bottom line -- as great as Clowney may be, can we afford to draft him and having one of these guys *sitting* (Long/Quinn) more plays? I don't see how that helps the team. If you can trade Long, sure; that's not going to happen.

This isn't baseball where a single player can dramatically change a team by themselves. If Clowney is what he's advertised, he'd help our already good pass rush and we'd still be watching our secondary being torched.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast