Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Early January Rams Mock Offseason

Before Christmas, I completed my first first-round mock of this draft season. I speculated that I might be able to do a Rams-only mock that corresponds, but just haven't had the time recently to sit down and do it...

...UNTIL NOW!!!!!

CURRENT ROSTER – RESIGN
    -FS OJ Atogwe: He’ll be a restricted free agent in an uncapped year, so tender him a high offer and keep him around while trying to work out a long-term deal.

-NT Clifton Ryan: Ryan will likely be either a restricted or exclusive rights free agent without a cap, so the Rams should be able to retain him fairly easily. He’s emerged as a solid starter on the line.

-DT Gary Gibson: Gibson showed some flashes before he was injured, and it certainly couldn’t hurt to resign him to a minimum deal to see if he can win a job in camp.

-OL Mark Setterstrom: Mark is considered to be one of our better young lineman, but just can’t manage to stay healthy. Still, he provides some nice depth and should be retained as a RFA.

-LS Chris Massey: An effective long snapper, there’s really no reason not to bring Massey back, nor any reason to think it can’t be done for cheap.

-DE Leonard Little: Little may not even want to play in 2010, but if he can be brought back for relatively cheap as a situational pass rusher, the Rams would benefit.

CURRENT ROSTER – CUT/UNSIGNED
    -OT Alex Barron: Barron looks to be a restricted free agent in an uncapped year, but I think the Rams send a better message by letting him hit the market.

-TE Randy McMichael: A cause for optimism when Scott Linehan lured McMichael away from Miami, the tight end hasn’t really done much and was a big disappointment in 2009.

-QB Kyle Boller: The experiment did not work out. Boller doesn’t really have much in the tank right now, certainly not enough to be relied upon as an efficient back-up passer.

-CB Jonathan Wade: A former third round pick, Wade hasn’t made much of an impact for the Rams and barely played after the bye despite being a starter in September.

FREE AGENCY ADDITIONS
    -LB Derrick Johnson (Chiefs): Johnson is upset about his back-up role in Kansas City, and rightfully so. Though he’s a restricted free agent, he may be allowed to walk if Todd Haley doesn’t value him. He could very well become a starter at OLB for the Rams.

-RB Jerious Norwood (Falcons): Norwood will be a popular item on many offseason wishlists for many teams as he’s a very nice change of pace ‘back. The Falcons may be willing to part with Norwood even though he’s a restricted free agent because of the emergence of Jason Snelling.

-DE Mark Anderson (Bears): Anderson is another restricted free agent, but Chicago traded for Gaines Adams and drafted Jarron Gilbert in the third round last year, so the unit may be too crowded for Anderson. If he’s available, the Rams may take a flier and hope he can resemble the form he showed in 2006.

-TE Benjamin Watson (Patriots): Watson is scheduled to hit the free agent market this offseason, and is a solid tight end who can be used in a variety of roles. A former first round pick, he’s had some success in the passing game in New England and would likely remain a starter in St. Louis.

NFL DRAFT

ROUND ONE: NDAMUKONG SUH, DT, NEBRASKA
    -With the first pick in the draft, it’s only natural to select the best player, right? The Rams could certainly use a quarterback of the future, but I’m simply not convinced that there’s a candidate worthy of this pick, especially with Nebraska’s Ndamukong Suh on the board. It’s hard to imagine Suh not being an absolute force of nature in a Steve Spagnuolo defense.

ROUND TWO: ARRELIOUS BENN, WR, ILLINOIS
    -The Rams have some youth and potential at receiver already, but even when this entire unit is healthy, I’m not sure I’ve seen enough of them to feel as if there’s a true #1 receiver on this roster. Benn didn’t have the kind of junior season many expected, but I think the pro potential is evident and he’d be one of the better values on the board if he’s there in the second round.

ROUND THREE: SEAN CANFIELD, QB, OREGON STATE
    -Many Rams fans would probably want to see a quarterback selected prior to the third round, but I think you have to stay true to your board and not get tunnel vision on one position in a certain round. At the top of the third round, I think a strong southpaw passer like Sean Canfield would be great value and could become an effective quarterback with some grooming.

ROUND FOUR: KYLE CALLOWAY, OT, IOWA
    -Jason Smith is this team’s franchise tackle, but Alex Barron has essentially played his way out of town. Another starting tackle is needed, so the Rams dip into the Iowa pipeline of offensive linemen for Calloway.

ROUND FIVE: PERRY RILEY, LB, LSU
    -The Rams can’t expect significant improvements on defense if they have to rely on Paris Lenon and David Vorbora as starters again in 2010. Normally I wouldn’t think a fifth round pick has much chance at starting, but on this team, Riley would have as good a chance as anyone.

ROUND FIVE (f/PHI): LINDSEY WITTEN, DE, CONNECTICUT
    -Adding Suh in the first round should help make everyone better on the defensive line. Unfortunately, Chris Long is really this team’s only legitimate defensive end. Witten had a very productive senior season and could help the Rams out situationally as he continues to develop.

ROUND SIX: ANDRE ANDERSON, RB, TULANE
    -If Steven Jackson is going to hold up long-term, the Rams need to find some help in the backfield. I anticipate they’ll try someone from the free agent market as well, but Andre Anderson was productive as both a runner and receiver at Tulane and would be nice value here.

ROUND SEVEN: MIKE CAUSSIN, TE, JAMES MADISON
    -Not much to expect out of a seventh rounder, but if Caussin’s 6’5” height holds up, he’s worth a look. He could probably add on some weight and at least compete in a weak group of tight ends that will likely lose Randy McMichael.

PROJECTED 2010 CAMP/PRE-SEASON DEPTH CHART
    Starters in bold

QB: Marc Bulger / Sean Canfield / Keith Null
    RB: Steven Jackson / Jerious Norwood / Chris Ogbonnaya / Andre Anderson
    FB: Mike Karney
    WR: Laurent Robinson / Brandon Gibson / Donnie Avery / Arrelious Benn / Brooks Foster
    TE: Benjamin Watson / Daniel Fells / Mike Caussin
    OT: Jason Smith / John Greco / Kyle Calloway / Phil Trautwein
    OG: Jacob Bell / Adam Goldberg / Roger Allen
    C: Jason Brown / Mark Setterstrom

DE: Chris Long / Mark Anderson / Leonard Little / Lindsey Witten / C.J. Ah You
    DT: Ndamukong Suh / Clifton Ryan / Darell Scott / Gary Gibson / Adam Carriker
    OLB: Derrick Johnson / Perry Riley / David Vobora / Larry Grant
    MLB: James Laurinaitis
    CB: Ron Bartell / Bradley Fletcher / Quincy Butler / Justin King
    FS: O.J. Atogwe / Craig Dahl
    SS: James Butler

K: Josh Brown
    P: Donnie Jones
    LS: Chris Massey
    RET: Danny Amendola

Notes
    -I think, provided Bulger is up for returning, he'd be a fine stop-gap until Canfield would be ready to take the reigns. It's one less hole the Rams would have to worry about addressing in a weak free agent market.
    -Despite being drafted in the second round, it would be hard to put Benn higher than fourth on a camp/pre-season depth chart. That said, I would hope it wouldn't take him long to rise up that list and earn more time and opportunities.
    -I'd like to see what Greco has at right tackle in this scheme, and I think Goldberg's a better starting guard than he is a tackle. Ultimately I'd like to see Calloway take that starting RT spot and move Greco back inside, unless John is a stud out there.
    -I like DE Anderson as a potential starter in a unit that has a lot of rotation.
    -As I said in his description, given our present personnel, I don't think it's outrageous to think a guy like Riley could emerge as a starter at OLB.
    -Unless the Rams spend a high pick on a cornerback, I don't see them using much at the position because it wouldn't represent a significant upgrade over current personnel. I'd like to give Fletcher a try in this scenario to see what he can do.

Questions, comments, constructive criticism is always welcomed!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Nick's Early January Rams Mock Offseason

Great job, I love the thought of getting Derrick Johnson and Norwood and also drafting SUH with the 1st pick. ....BUT......drafting a WR with our 2nd round pick? As they say on ESPN...c'mon man! I suppose it could happen seeing that there are so many problem areas on our team nothing would surprise me.

Thanks Nick!!!

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I feel that for WR we would be best off either spending a high pick and getting a true #1 or just ignoring it altogether. Basically, the same position you indicated we're in for CB (which I also agree with). I don't know anything about Arrelious Benn so I'm not saying I don't like the pick, but I do feel drafting another #2 or slot receiver doesn't add much to the team.

If we were to trade up into the 1st round to get a Dez Bryant if he starts to slip because of the suspension, for example, I'd be a big fan. We'd also be in a good spot to gamble on a boom or bust type WR.

My question to you is: how does Benn fit in with my reasoning? Would it be reasonable to draft him with the expecation that he could become a legitimate #1 target, or is he more likely to fill a supporting role?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Nick, I feel like this would change drastically if Bulger retires. If so, how would you change your draft picks/free agent acquisitions?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I love the addition of Derrick Johnson if we could somehow pull that off. Also I wouldn't mind bringing in a Ashly Youboty either

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Perry Riley, Lindsey Witten, Ben Watson I guess great minds do think alike

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Great job, I love the thought of getting Derrick Johnson and Norwood and also drafting SUH with the 1st pick. ....BUT......drafting a WR with our 2nd round pick? As they say on ESPN...c'mon man! I suppose it could happen seeing that there are so many problem areas on our team nothing would surprise me.

Thanks Nick!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    I feel that for WR we would be best off either spending a high pick and getting a true #1 or just ignoring it altogether. Basically, the same position you indicated we're in for CB (which I also agree with). I don't know anything about Arrelious Benn so I'm not saying I don't like the pick, but I do feel drafting another #2 or slot receiver doesn't add much to the team.

If we were to trade up into the 1st round to get a Dez Bryant if he starts to slip because of the suspension, for example, I'd be a big fan. We'd also be in a good spot to gamble on a boom or bust type WR.

My question to you is: how does Benn fit in with my reasoning? Would it be reasonable to draft him with the expecation that he could become a legitimate #1 target, or is he more likely to fill a supporting role?
    Simply put, I think this offense needs playmakers. In round two, I think the Rams may be in a position to draft a potential #1 wide receiver, which IMO they don't have. I believe Benn fits into that category and, while he may not start camp or the pre-season as a starter, I think he has the tools to develop into one. If the value is there, I wouldn't be surprised. But I wouldn't draft a receiver unless he has #1 potential. We have enough #2 or depth guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Nick, I feel like this would change drastically if Bulger retires. If so, how would you change your draft picks/free agent acquisitions?
    I'd probably just include a free agent QB who can be a stop-gap.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    I love the addition of Derrick Johnson if we could somehow pull that off. Also I wouldn't mind bringing in a Ashly Youboty either
    Youboty has had problems staying healthy, but he is an intriguing player. Probably wouldn't break the bank at all, and would at least provide some depth.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Perry Riley, Lindsey Witten, Ben Watson I guess great minds do think alike
    Looks that way, though I assure you it was completely unintentional!

viper is offline Registered User

There are some intriguing possibilities there. I like your free agency movements with the re-signings, cuts and especially the acquisitions.

In the draft I really hope we take Suh no. 1. That will improve our defense as soon as he gets acclimated to the NFL.

I would be leaning towards picking up a WR in free agency instead of the draft to get some veteran leadership. But, there may not be anyone available that is worth getting.

I really like Sean Canfield out of Oregon State as a QB prospect. He has a very strong arm, is accurate and throws a pretty ball. He's a pocket passer, not overly mobile, but watching him this year really made me believe that he could be successful at the next level. I think he has all of the makings of a "franchise" QB if he is brought along properly.

I do feel that we are weak at CB and would hope that we could improve there somehow. But, with the addition of Suh and the linebackers that you suggested, it may be enough to postpone making a strong move there for the time being.

Overall, nice work!

Go Rams!!!

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Some good ideas there, Nick, but Benn will never be a true number one receiver as he simply has bad hands, or at least it has looked that way in his junior season. I still think that we have some potentially excellent wideouts on the roster so, unless we spend big on a receiver in free agency, I'd leave the receiving corps as it is.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I love it. Only concern I have is that round two pick. He does have skill, but does he have THE skill we need? I would have to argue no. But everything else around that second round works well for me.

This mock would make me scream like a little girl! haha
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I like the mock Nick.

I just have some few comments/questions. And, I believe you forgot a 7th round pick we acquired from the Tye Hill trade.

First off, the pros:

- I personally like Kyle Calloway better than Ciron Black, or any other OT that is projected to go in the 4th round. I trust linemen that come from Iowa.

- Ndamukong Suh. No negatives about that pick.

- Riley, Caussin, and Anderson. No complaints there.

Now, the questions.

- Do you rate Canfield as a better prospect than LeFevour? Or do you think that LeFevour will be gone by the time we pick in the third?

- The same goes for Damian Williams out of USC. Are you rating Benn higher, or are you expecting Williams to go in the end of the first round. IMO, Williams is a better fit for us because he has great route running and hands and quickness, which will fit perfectly in our WCO. Also, he kind of reminds me of Torry Holt. He's also a great character guy.

- What do you think of John Fletcher the DE out of Wyoming?

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Nice job as always Nick. Several questions for you:

1.) In the mock I posted several weeks ago, I have the Rams taking Canfield in the 5th round. I was hoping that I could justify upgrading him but then I watched him have a lousy bowl game against BYU and came away less than impressed, and now I view him as a project at this point. Why do you project him as high as the 3rd?

2.) In a mock I am currently considering, I have the Rams taking Bruce Campbell, the OT from Maryland in the 2nd round. Do you think he will be there and, if so, would you then take him over Arrelious Benn?

Thanks for your replies.

WHAT SAY YE?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    There are some intriguing possibilities there. I like your free agency movements with the re-signings, cuts and especially the acquisitions.

In the draft I really hope we take Suh no. 1. That will improve our defense as soon as he gets acclimated to the NFL.

I would be leaning towards picking up a WR in free agency instead of the draft to get some veteran leadership. But, there may not be anyone available that is worth getting.

I really like Sean Canfield out of Oregon State as a QB prospect. He has a very strong arm, is accurate and throws a pretty ball. He's a pocket passer, not overly mobile, but watching him this year really made me believe that he could be successful at the next level. I think he has all of the makings of a "franchise" QB if he is brought along properly.

I do feel that we are weak at CB and would hope that we could improve there somehow. But, with the addition of Suh and the linebackers that you suggested, it may be enough to postpone making a strong move there for the time being.

Overall, nice work!

Go Rams!!!
    I thought about adding a receiver in free agency instead, but I'm just not sure there are going to be a lot of good options available. Maybe you can convince a guy like Malcom Floyd or Jason Avant to come here, but other than that, I think most of the potential #1s will be retained by their team. Benn did not have a great junior year, but he was on a bad team with a pretty bad quarterback. I still think he has good potential to develop into a top receiver, which is more than I could say about a lot of the FA options.

As for cornerback, if Bartell is healthy and Fletcher improves in his second season, then the position won't look quite as weak as it did in 2009. More help from the defensive front will help, so upgrades like Suh, Anderson, and Witten should hopefully create some more pressure situations and force some more bad throws.

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    Some good ideas there, Nick, but Benn will never be a true number one receiver as he simply has bad hands, or at least it has looked that way in his junior season. I still think that we have some potentially excellent wideouts on the roster so, unless we spend big on a receiver in free agency, I'd leave the receiving corps as it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I love it. Only concern I have is that round two pick. He does have skill, but does he have THE skill we need? I would have to argue no. But everything else around that second round works well for me.

This mock would make me scream like a little girl! haha
    Benn didn't have the kind of junior season that he would have wanted, but his sophomore campaign was strong. He has the physical skills to excel, but still has some things to work on obviously. There are more than a few people who view him as a potential top twenty pick in this class. I like Damian Williams better and had him going before Benn in my Christmas mock, but if Benn is there in the second round, I think he warrants some strong consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I like the mock Nick.

I just have some few comments/questions. And, I believe you forgot a 7th round pick we acquired from the Tye Hill trade.

First off, the pros:

- I personally like Kyle Calloway better than Ciron Black, or any other OT that is projected to go in the 4th round. I trust linemen that come from Iowa.

- Ndamukong Suh. No negatives about that pick.

- Riley, Caussin, and Anderson. No complaints there.

Now, the questions.

- Do you rate Canfield as a better prospect than LeFevour? Or do you think that LeFevour will be gone by the time we pick in the third?

- The same goes for Damian Williams out of USC. Are you rating Benn higher, or are you expecting Williams to go in the end of the first round. IMO, Williams is a better fit for us because he has great route running and hands and quickness, which will fit perfectly in our WCO. Also, he kind of reminds me of Torry Holt. He's also a great character guy.

- What do you think of John Fletcher the DE out of Wyoming?
    You're right, I left off the extra seventh rounder. At that point we're just throwing darts though. As for your questions...

I'm not quite as high on LeFevour as others, and I anticipate he'll be on the board when we pick in the third. That might change depending on the kind of arm he displays in drills and tests this offseason, but I'd give Canfield the slight edge right now. Still, I think either of them would be good value in the mid rounds of this draft.

This mock offseason is based on the first round mock I did pre-Christmas, which had Damian Williams going in the first round. I do like Williams better than Benn.

I'm not very familiar with John Fletcher, but based on what I've been able to find, it looks like he has some pretty good size and pass rushing ability. Might be a better fit at LDE, where Chris Long should be playing. Worth a late round pick if we haven't done anything at the position in free agency or earlier in the draft, but there are a lot of DEs in this class. If we're in the market for one, it might be better to take someone earlier on.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Nice job as always Nick. Several questions for you:

1.) In the mock I posted several weeks ago, I have the Rams taking Canfield in the 5th round. I was hoping that I could justify upgrading him but then I watched him have a lousy bowl game against BYU and came away less than impressed, and now I view him as a project at this point. Why do you project him as high as the 3rd?

2.) In a mock I am currently considering, I have the Rams taking Bruce Campbell, the OT from Maryland in the 2nd round. Do you think he will be there and, if so, would you then take him over Arrelious Benn?

Thanks for your replies.

WHAT SAY YE?
    1. I don't think Canfield's game against BYU was very indicative of the kind of senior campaign he's had this year. He was voted Oregon State's first first-team All Pac-10 QB this year, and has generally been very, very efficient. He's a strong armed quarterback who also displays good accuracy and touch on his passes. I think he has the chance to impress during offseason workouts, and if he does well, will probably be valued in the third to fourth round range.

2. I don't think Bruce Campbell will be available in the second round, but you never know. Red flags for experience or durability may cause him to fall, but he's physically gifted and could really rise up draft boards in workouts. He has the potential to be a very good tackle, but it's going to be a process. Wouldn't be surprised if he wowed some people at the combine or at his pro day and became this class' third best OT prospect behind Okung and Davis. I anticipate him being selected in the top 20-25.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Perspective is a funny thing. I don't have Canfield on my radar, but that's mainly because I've never seen him play (or, if I did, I wasn't really paying attention... I do watch a lot of games).

I've seen the top guys (Clausen, Bradford, McCoy) play many times, seen at least one full game of LeFevour (seen him play twice), Levi Brown and some other late round prospects, and I've seen Tim Tebow play A LOT (every UF game is on TV here).

Guess I'll have to watch some YouTube clips of Canfield.

thoey is offline Registered User

How does a southpaw like Canfield effect our OL? I guess we can flop the line, but I thought I heard that Smith was going to be better when he moved to his normal left OT position.
    This space for rent...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast