Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BarronWade is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's Early January Rams Mock Offseason

Overall its pretty good but i have some constructive criticism

The Sean Canfield pick; you do know he has some injury issues and he does turn the ball over quite a bit. And he overthrows on the go patterns too often i watched him a couple times in his sophmore season and did you see him play vs. Arizona this year he was straight awful. He kept missing his targets. I remember 3 times he missed his tall receiver he had down the sideline. And he needs to learn how to get out of the pocket

Also i did not see the game but this is his stats in a bowl game vs. Brigham Young in the Macco bowl in Las Vegas:

19-40 168yrds 0TD 1INT

I dont think he will be a good pro prospect. I havnt watched his highlights yet but i have watched him in games and i am not impressed.

And if Mark Anderson starts ahead of Little there better be ALOT of rotation. Is Little going to be demoted to a 3rd down pass rushing DE only?

And Danny boy does not make it to the Wide Reciever depth chart at all? He should be our inside slot guy like a Wes Welker type.

And David Vabora was solid at SLB i wouldn't start a 5th round rookie ahead of him. But Riley is a good future option.

I like Calloway but i dont think will last till the 4th.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Perspective is a funny thing. I don't have Canfield on my radar, but that's mainly because I've never seen him play (or, if I did, I wasn't really paying attention... I do watch a lot of games).

I've seen the top guys (Clausen, Bradford, McCoy) play many times, seen at least one full game of LeFevour (seen him play twice), Levi Brown and some other late round prospects, and I've seen Tim Tebow play A LOT (every UF game is on TV here).

Guess I'll have to watch some YouTube clips of Canfield.
    Yeah, see what you can find. Hopefully he'll get to show off his skills at the Senior Bowl as well.

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    How does a southpaw like Canfield effect our OL? I guess we can flop the line, but I thought I heard that Smith was going to be better when he moved to his normal left OT position.
    Well, it would mean his blindside is actually the right side, where Jason Smith has been playing most of the season. So that might be an advantage, but it's hard to say specifically what it would change. I'm not sure it would have a huge effect on the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Overall its pretty good but i have some constructive criticism

The Sean Canfield pick; you do know he has some injury issues and he does turn the ball over quite a bit. And he overthrows on the go patterns too often i watched him a couple times in his sophmore season and did you see him play vs. Arizona this year he was straight awful. He kept missing his targets. I remember 3 times he missed his tall receiver he had down the sideline. And he needs to learn how to get out of the pocket

Also i did not see the game but this is his stats in a bowl game vs. Brigham Young in the Macco bowl in Las Vegas:

19-40 168yrds 0TD 1INT

I dont think he will be a good pro prospect. I havnt watched his highlights yet but i have watched him in games and i am not impressed.
    Well, we can agree to disagree here if you don't think he's a good prospect. If the guy was perfect, he wouldn't be considered by many to be a third or fourth round prospect. Clearly he has some areas to work on and room to continue to grow.

That being said, I think he's solidified a spot in that second tier of senior QBs after McCoy and Pike, and I think he's done if for a reason. I'm not particularly concerned with possible accuracy from two years ago considering he's made improvements in his game since then and ranks fifth in the country in completion percentage. Nor do I think a bad game here or there is enough to write him off as a pro.

I think he's a guy who has a lot of the tools you look for at the next level, and he's someone you could draft, sit for a season and coach up, and then see what he can do down the stretch once he knows the offense.

And if Mark Anderson starts ahead of Little there better be ALOT of rotation. Is Little going to be demoted to a 3rd down pass rushing DE only?
    I addressed this in my opening post, saying that I would bring back Little for "relatively cheap as a situational pass rusher," and that "I like DE Anderson as a potential starter in a unit that has a lot of rotation."

And Danny boy does not make it to the Wide Reciever depth chart at all? He should be our inside slot guy like a Wes Welker type.

And David Vabora was solid at SLB i wouldn't start a 5th round rookie ahead of him. But Riley is a good future option.

I like Calloway but i dont think will last till the 4th.
    This is a 1-15 team. I don't think we're going to improve by keeping the same guys in the same spots as this season.

Amendola showed some flashes at receiver but he hasn't made enough plays for me to pencil him in higher on a hypothetical depth chart. Maybe you put him in the five spot instead of Foster, but I have a hard time seeing him ahead of any of the top four guys I listed.

Vobora's been solid, but again, not good enough to make me think we can't upgrade there. I think he'd be a fine back-up and I don't think it's out of the question that a rookie could compete and get some first team work on this defense. I don't see any reason to think he's locked that starting spot up.

Calloway could go in the third, but he could go in the fourth too. Not sure what else to say on that one.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

I like the mock, but like everyone else i do have a little bit of a problem with the second round pick, from previous posts i have been a strong supporter of BQBA in the second.

I would like to know how far you think Javier Arenas will drop, and how late you think we could possibly take him. I really believe that he could be a great corner and could be a potential steal in round 3 or 4.

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    I like the mock, but like everyone else i do have a little bit of a problem with the second round pick, from previous posts i have been a strong supporter of BQBA in the second.

I would like to know how far you think Javier Arenas will drop, and how late you think we could possibly take him. I really believe that he could be a great corner and could be a potential steal in round 3 or 4.
    I suspect he'll be available in the third as some of the junior DBs will bump him down a bit. I worry about how well he'd match up against bigger receivers in this conference, to be honest.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Question: Brooks Foster over Keenen burton?? He was our leading reciever before the injury, is that just a look over accident?

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I like your ideas nick and agree bulger will do us for the next couple of years. I think as our O line improves so will bulger. I would wait till next years draft for a QB as I'm sure we will still have a fairly high pick and therefore a chance to select one in the first round. It all depends on who is available when we pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Alec22 View Post
    Question: Brooks Foster over Keenen burton?? He was our leading reciever before the injury, is that just a look over accident?
    No, I left Burton off because I couldn't justify putting him on the depth chart ahead of the first 3-4 guys, and I think a healthy Foster gets the edge because he was actually drafted by this coaching staff. Burton has had flashes but has had more than enough opportunities to step up and hasn't yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ramstiles View Post
    I like your ideas nick and agree bulger will do us for the next couple of years. I think as our O line improves so will bulger. I would wait till next years draft for a QB as I'm sure we will still have a fairly high pick and therefore a chance to select one in the first round. It all depends on who is available when we pick.
    I'm not sure if the Rams can wait until next year to make a move at the QB position, whether it be in the draft or in free agency. I don't think you can bank on being able to take a QB with a high pick next year, because who knows how they're valued or where they go. I'd like to see the Rams come out of this draft with someone they can groom for the future, and I think there will be promising candidates in the first, second, third, and maybe even fourth rounds.

That being said, some Rams fans are looking at the second round as if it has to be a quarterback if the Rams draft Suh overall. I just don't subscribe to the "You have to take a ________ in this round" theory because I think you risk ignoring value. If there are X number of players of better value on the board than the next QB in the second round, can you really pass them all up just for position need? I don't think you can.

npow81 is offline Registered User

I love the Benn pick, while I'm in the category of thinking that we don't need to press and draft a wideout in the first three rounds, but rather develop the six young WRs we have, if Benn or Tate fall to the second I feel as if there is no way we should pass up on them. Both are absolute studs and should be first round talent.

Another fringe first round pick I think we should consider, if he lasts, is Mike Iupati from Idaho.
    Last edited by npow81; -01-10-2010 at 07:29 PM.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

What about drafting Danario Alexander 2nd Round instead.

He's a proven playmaker at WR and, with his huge physique, would be an automatic threat in the red-zone(Something we really need).

Quote Originally Posted by npow81 View Post
    I love the Benn pick, while I'm in the category of thinking that we don't need to press and draft a wideout in the first three rounds, but rather develop the six young WRs we have, if Benn or Tate fall to the second I feel as if there is no way we should pass up on them. Both are absolute studs and should be first round talent.

Another fringe first round pick I think we should consider, if he lasts, is Mike Iupati from Idaho.
    Thanks for the feedback! A lot of fans have raised an eyebrow at the Benn pick, but I have a hard time not seeing him as one of the best values on the board if he's there.

As for Iupati, he's certainly good. I'd be more tempted to take him if the Rams think he could play right tackle. I think from a personnel standpoint, between Bell, Greco, Goldberg, Allen, and even Setterstrom, this team is fairly set at guard.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    What about drafting Danario Alexander 2nd Round instead.

He's a proven playmaker at WR and, with his huge physique, would be an automatic threat in the red-zone(Something we really need).
    I don't think Alexander is good value in the second round.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

I don't think Alexander is good value in the second round.
    I think he is because he will fit in well with the Rams west coast offense.

I've seen him play many times and he is so explosive when it comes to the WR screens.

But at the same time, IMO we dont need to use the 2nd round for a WR.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -01-11-2010 at 12:05 AM.

npow81 is offline Registered User

Well some people forget Benn had Juice Williams throwing him the ball his whole career (and well let's just say throwing isn't really Juice's strong suit), I don't like to throw out comparisons too often, but the guy is Anquan Boldin reincarnated

As for Iupati, you're probably right Guard i isn't a need position, but it would be great value at that point (and I wouldn't doubt the kid could move to Right Tackle)

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Nick I really have liked your mock drafts in the past but I am not feeling this one. Have a question on your thoughts about the #1 WR positon.

Is the #1 WR theory overrated? I believe a team can do just as well with or without a #1 WR depending on the scheme and the RB production? For example, the Eagles have a simaliar offensive scheme and did not have a legit #1 WR until T.O. and yet put up great offensive numbers.

How about the Patriots before they added Moss to the roster?

I am sure I can continue to add to the list but my point is why exactly is a number 1 WR so important for the Rams to be successful when other teams ie.. Patriots have won championships without one?

Also, when was the last time a WR drafted in the 2nd round contribute as a #1 guy in his rookie year? I am trying to think of one. I know some gems have come up but the WR postion usually requires a little TLC. Give the players a chance to have a full camp and develop and maybe a WR in the Rams current roster may resemble a #1 guy.

Go Rams
    Last edited by Dominating D; -01-11-2010 at 01:53 AM.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm not sure if the Rams can wait until next year to make a move at the QB position, whether it be in the draft or in free agency. I don't think you can bank on being able to take a QB with a high pick next year, because who knows how they're valued or where they go. I'd like to see the Rams come out of this draft with someone they can groom for the future, and I think there will be promising candidates in the first, second, third, and maybe even fourth rounds.

That being said, some Rams fans are looking at the second round as if it has to be a quarterback if the Rams draft Suh overall. I just don't subscribe to the "You have to take a ________ in this round" theory because I think you risk ignoring value. If there are X number of players of better value on the board than the next QB in the second round, can you really pass them all up just for position need? I don't think you can.
    I'm not suggesting they have to wait untill next year I just don't think we have to draft one this year. If there is one that is available when we pick that is the best player then we should take him. But I think there is more life left in bulger especially if we improve the O line. So I think I'm agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    I think he is because he will fit in well with the Rams west coast offense.

I've seen him play many times and he is so explosive when it comes to the WR screens.

But at the same time, IMO we dont need to use the 2nd round for a WR.
    I don't think simply being a good fit for the system increases the guy's grade on your board that much. I think Alexander is a better fit in the third round at this point. Guys like Benn, Tate, LaFell, Briscoe, etc. will likely carry better grades and be better valued in the second round.

Quote Originally Posted by npow81 View Post
    Well some people forget Benn had Juice Williams throwing him the ball his whole career (and well let's just say throwing isn't really Juice's strong suit), I don't like to throw out comparisons too often, but the guy is Anquan Boldin reincarnated

As for Iupati, you're probably right Guard i isn't a need position, but it would be great value at that point (and I wouldn't doubt the kid could move to Right Tackle)
    Both good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Nick I really have liked your mock drafts in the past but I am not feeling this one. Have a question on your thoughts about the #1 WR positon.

Is the #1 WR theory overrated? I believe a team can do just as well with or without a #1 WR depending on the scheme and the RB production? For example, the Eagles have a simaliar offensive scheme and did not have a legit #1 WR until T.O. and yet put up great offensive numbers.

How about the Patriots before they added Moss to the roster?

I am sure I can continue to add to the list but my point is why exactly is a number 1 WR so important for the Rams to be successful when other teams ie.. Patriots have won championships without one?

Also, when was the last time a WR drafted in the 2nd round contribute as a #1 guy in his rookie year? I am trying to think of one. I know some gems have come up but the WR postion usually requires a little TLC. Give the players a chance to have a full camp and develop and maybe a WR in the Rams current roster may resemble a #1 guy.

Go Rams
    You cite the Eagles and Patriots as teams that have gotten by and been successful without a #1 wide receiver. But let's keep in mind that both teams made it a point to go out and get a #1 wide receiver, so those two teams also recognized the value in having one despite their past success without one. The Eagles went out and got Owens and their offense improved (then drafted both Jackson and Maclin later on), and the Patriots traded for Moss and saw a jump in their offense as well. So yes, it's possible to have good offensive production without a #1 receiver, but the Rams didn't seem capable of doing that consistently at all this year, and even teams that have been able to have recognized the value of a top receiver.

As for the last time a WR drafted in the 2nd round contributed as a #1 guy in his rookie year, I'd point to DeSean Jackson. Considered by many a first round talent, but slipped into the second round. Benn is considered by many to be a first round talent, but I think would be good value in the second round. I'm not saying I expect him to be a #1 right out of the gate - again, I projected him #4 on the hyopthetical depth chart entering camp and the pre-season - but I wouldn't expect it to be long before he makes an impact, if he develops well.

Besides, if Benn turns into a #1 receiver, and someone already on the Rams' roster turns into a #1 receiver in camp as well, then I'm not sure how two very good starting receivers both capable of being top guys is a problem for this team. That sounds like a problem I'd like to have.

Quote Originally Posted by ramstiles View Post
    I'm not suggesting they have to wait untill next year I just don't think we have to draft one this year. If there is one that is available when we pick that is the best player then we should take him. But I think there is more life left in bulger especially if we improve the O line. So I think I'm agreeing with you.
    Okay, I see what you're saying. And I think we're probably pretty close in opinion, but I do think somewhere somehow we need to add something at QB. Not at the expense of significantly greater value elsewhere though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast