Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Dominating D is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's Early January Rams Mock Offseason

The Eagles went out and got Owens and their offense improved (then drafted both Jackson and Maclin later on), and the Patriots traded for Moss and saw a jump in their offense as well. So yes, it's possible to have good offensive production without a #1 receiver, but the Rams didn't seem capable of doing that consistently at all this year, and even teams that have been able to have recognized the value of a top receiver.

As for the last time a WR drafted in the 2nd round contributed as a #1 guy in his rookie year, I'd point to DeSean Jackson. Considered by many a first round talent, but slipped into the second round. Benn is considered by many to be a first round talent, but I think would be good value in the second round. I'm not saying I expect him to be a #1 right out of the gate - again, I projected him #4 on the hyopthetical depth chart entering camp and the pre-season - but I wouldn't expect it to be long before he makes an impact, if he develops well.

As far as the Eagles go yes they did go after T.O. and I believe they made it through the playoffs without him all the way to the superbowl.

Regarding the Patriots they won championships without a stud #1 WR and exactly how many have they won since acquiring Moss. Also, I do not believe the Pats were actually seeking Moss they just saw an opportunity to get a talented Moss for next to nothing in return. What was it a 4th round pick?

You really consider Jackson a number 1 his rookie year? I believe he was a big play maker but I never considered him a number 1 guy? I guess the number 1 WR is a very loose term to describe what exactly?

Also, I would love to see what Robinson, Danny A, and the returning WR with a FULL Camp can do with the Spags coaching staff.
    Last edited by Dominating D; -01-12-2010 at 01:21 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    As far as the Eagles go yes they did go after T.O. and I believe they made it through the playoffs without him all the way to the superbowl.

Regarding the Patriots they won championships without a stud #1 WR and exactly how many have they won since acquiring Moss. Also, I do not believe the Pats were actually seeking Moss they just saw an opportunity to get a talented Moss for next to nothing in return. What was it a 4th round pick?
    Well, we can agree to disagree here. Again, I think the fact that both teams were successful with lesser receivers but still went out and got a #1 guy demonstrates that they recognized both the advantage and the value in doing so.

You really consider Jackson a number 1 his rookie year? I believe he was a big play maker but I never considered him a number 1 guy? I guess the number 1 WR is a very loose term to describe what exactly?
    Your question was, "when was the last time a WR drafted in the 2nd round contribute as a #1 guy in his rookie year?" And I think Jackson is a more than suitable answer, since as a rookie he began working with the Eagles' first team offense in early August of 2008, was an opening day starter for them, and became their leading receiver that season. I'm not sure what definition of #1 WR you'd prefer, just trying to answer your question as it was phrased.

I'd also point out that I don't believe I claimed Benn would be this team's #1 right out of the gate. Again, I'd point out that my hypothetical camp depth chart has him as the fourth receiver. But I think if the Rams see a receiver with true #1 potential there in the second round, it warrants consideration.

Also, I would love to see what Robinson, Danny A, and the returning WR with a FULL Camp can do with the Spags coaching staff.
    Robinson had a full camp with the Rams, since he was acquired in April. In fact, it was in camp where Robinson emerged as a starter rather than Burton. Gibson may or may not separate himself with a full camp, who knows. He was pretty inconsistent this season, and came from a team running a very similar offense. I also don't think a full camp is going to turn Danny Amendola into a superstar; he is at best, IMO, a slot man.

The biggest problem I have with this plan, though, is that this is almost exactly what we did last season - sit tight with the unproven young players we have and hope they will emerge. It didn't really work in 2009, and while some of the faces are different going into this offseason, I can't say my hopes are high for it working very well in 2010. IMO, when you're a 1-15 team, you can't just sit around and hope the guys you have turn into studs.

If we already had an efficient productive receiving corps like previous Eagles or previous Pats teams, then maybe I'd agree that a #1 receiver is far more a luxury. But we don't have that; our receivers were a bit of a disappointment to say the least, and none of them really emerged as a top guy despite all the opportunity in the world.

I'll leave it at that so that we don't stray too far from discussing the mock itself.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Most talented WR do not emerge in one or two years. Some talented WR need time to be groomed into the position.

For example,

Simms-Walker
    Austin Miles
    Robert Meachem
    Vincent Jackson
    Steve Smith (NYG)

and the list can go on and on

My point of having a full camp is that most of the recievers for the Rams did not have a full camp.

Avery due to injuries
    Gibson
    Foster
    Danny A. (has Wes Welker hands and guts to catch the ball in the middle)

The biggest problem I have with this plan, though, is that this is almost exactly what we did last season - sit tight with the unproven young players we have and hope they will emerge. So the solution is to continue to add more young talent.

Go Rams

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123