Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Easter Weekend Seven-Round Rams Mock Draft

Round One
    Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
    6'4" - 338 lbs - Junior

At 11th overall, the Rams will likely miss out on such elite players as A.J. Hawk, Michael Huff, and Vernon Davis. But there's a strong chance they'll be able to select the massive Haloti Ngata out of Oregon, and while some might be gunshy about spending another first round pick on a defensive lineman, Ngata will likely be the best player available. An ideal 3-4 nose tackle, Ngata's size, strength, and surprising athleticisim should allow him to compete immediately with Jimmy Kennedy for the starting job opposite of La'Roi Glover.

Round Two
    Joe Klopfenstein, TE, Colorado
    6'5" - 255 lbs - Senior

There are rumblings that Klopfenstein may be working his way into the bottom of the first round. While I'm not sure I see him going that high, I do think very highly of the Colorado tight end, and would have no reservations about taking this tall red zone target in the second round. Klopfenstein has some room for improvement, but is definitely the best second round tight ends available here.

Round Three
    Gerris Wilkinson, LB, Georgia Tech
    6'3" - 233 lbs - Senior

Wilkinson is an interesting prospect who projects to the strong side in the NFL, but also has experience as a middle linebacker and as a defensive end. Because he was used at all these positions, he didn't hone his talents at one position. So while he may need a little work to master the strong side, he could really take off because of his outstanding ability, instincts, and potential.

Round Four
    Marcus Hudson, S, N.C. State
    6'1" - 194 lbs - Senior

I've been a firm believer that it may not be worthwhile spending a first day pick on a safety unless it's a high pick, simply because a second or third round pick may not offer a significant upgrade over current free safety O.J. Atogwe. But here on the second day, a player like Hudson could be a solid depth and special teams selection with the potential to improve and see time on the field defensively.

Round Five
    Mike Degory, C, Florida
    6'5" - 305 lbs - Senior

The Rams desperately need help on the interior offensive line. However, while it may be hard to justify a first-day offensive lineman with such large defensive needs, Florida center Mike Degory could be available in the fifth round and would be an excellent seleciton for the Rams. Degory has very good size, will improve interior pass protection, and is a leader with a lot of valuable experience.

Round Six
    Frostee Rucker, DE, USC
    6'3" - 267 lbs - Senior

The Rams spent a first round pick on the interior defensive line, but depth at the defensive end position still needs to be addressed. On a team with players like Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart, a guy like Frostee Rucker may go somewhat unnoticed. But Rucker just finds a way to make plays, be it in the open field or behind the line. Furthermore, Rucker could play OLB in the 3-4 as well.

Round Seven
    William Freeman, LB, Furman
    6'2" - 242 lbs - Senior

Freeman is a small-school prospect who, like Wilkinson, could play either middle or strong-side linebacker. He has good size and has had a very productive I-AA career. Freeman may never develop into more than a back-up or special teams player, but is a solid guy to take a chance on in the seventh round.

Round Seven
    Steve Weatherford, P, Illinois
    6'3" - 215 lbs - Senior

Weatherford has experience not just as a punter, but has handled kickoff duties and field goals as well. He doesn't have the best leg in terms of kicking power, but is fairly consistent and surprisingly athletic, which never hurts when you're a kicker on the St. Louis Rams' special teams unit.

Round Seven
    Chris Barclay, RB, Wake Forest
    5'8" - 180 lbs - Senior

While Marshall Faulk will likely be returning in 2006, his long-term future is in question, and the Rams would probably like to add a youthful change-of-pace runner to compliment Steven Jackson. Barclay had a productive college career, and is a quick shifty runner who can explode to the edge as well as return kicks.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's Easter Weekend Seven-Round Rams Mock Draft

I'd like to know how the heck 233 lb. Gerris Wilkinson lined up at DE. But if he could it pull off, more power to him. I like the Degory pick.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I don't really like it. C-
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    I don't really like it. C-
    Care to elaborate?

This draft features fewer big-name prospects than some others, but certainly addresses our needs with quality talent.

Ngata will likely be the BPA at that spot, and addresses a big need for us. Klopfenstein in the second gives us a tight end who can catch and can block, with the size of a good red zone target. Wilkinson is a very athletic and skilled linebacker who could play inside or outside at strong side.

Hudson provides solid depth at safety, where we need more bodies. Degory should develop into McCollum's replacement on the inside. Rucker gives us more depth at DE behind our two starters, and in the seventh, we add another versatile linebacker, a young punter to compete with Turk, and a return man/change of pace back.

I think I remember you not liking a defensive tackle in the first, so maybe that's it.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rampage39 is offline Registered User

Well atleast its a different mock than the ones we constantly see on this board. A for creativity.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

I dont really like Joe Klopfenstein because he dropped a couple of passes in the Big 12 championship game and hes really not good when the pressure is on.... that was a horrible game for Colorado..70-3.. that picture of Chris Barclay is cool and Gerris Wilkinson is a great choice too.. I'd give it a B-

Just an FYI, I made a new three-round NFL mock today in the spirit of posting a new three rounder every weekend until the actual draft. The way things fell, the Rams ended up making different selections than in this seven-round Rams mock, so I'll be putting up a slightly revised Easter Weekend mock very soon.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Just an FYI, I made a new three-round NFL mock today in the spirit of posting a new three rounder every weekend until the actual draft. The way things fell, the Rams ended up making different selections than in this seven-round Rams mock, so I'll be putting up a slightly revised Easter Weekend mock very soon.
    When you going to post it
    RamsFan16

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Can anyone make a picture of Huff wearing a Rams Uniform?

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    When you going to post it
    I might just hold off and make it my final one next weekend. We'll see.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Hey Nick, I recall that Charley Armey was quoted on a radio interview that there was no way the Rams would take a D. Tackle in the first round. Do you think he's bluffing or what? That said, I, for one, would have no problem taking Ngata if he's the BPA when our turn comes. Take the best players on your board and worry about the positions they play later.

WHAT SAY YE?

I'm going to start a new thread on the topic, actually.