Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Final 2009 NFL Two-Round Mock Draft

Okay, so I wanted to get this up earlier in the week and perhaps leave a window open to revisit the mock before the actual draft. But I also moved out of my apartment and just got internet set up last night, so needless to say this is getting out later than I wanted. Ultimately I'm not as satisfied with this mock as I have been with past ones put out around this time, but it was fun anyways and I think offers some interesting possibilities. Enjoy!

ROUND ONE

1. Detroit Lions: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
    -Though the Lions have a deal in place with Aaron Curry, I believe they still covet Matthew Stafford and are simply using Curry to angle for a better contract with the Georgia signal caller. Detroit is in desperate need for a franchise quarterback and likely will not get one with the 20th pick. Taking Stafford now gives them a young building block for the new direction of their franchise.

2. St. Louis Rams: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
    -I had Eugene Monroe going to the Rams in my last mock, so I’ve decided to flip it around for some variety. I still think it’s neck and neck between these two. The Rams will continue to send signals about Mark Sanchez, much like they did about Jay Cutler in 2006. They’re hoping for a trade down, but if they stay here, offensive tackle will be the selection.

3. Kansas City Chiefs: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
    -While I still think Aaron Curry is a strong possibility here, he’s likely an inside linebacker for the Chiefs and non-pass rushing linebackers aren’t considered great value at the top of the draft. If Kansas City does decide to look elsewhere, they may opt to take Eugene Monroe and pair him with last year’s first round pick and former Virginia teammate Branden Albert on the O-line.

4. Seattle Seahawks: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
    -Aaron Curry gets strong consideration after the ‘Hawks traded Peterson, but they already have a lot of money tied up in Lofa Tatupu and want to sign franchise player LeRoy Hill long-term. The Seahawks don’t pick at the top of the draft very often, so they may take the opportunity to add a potential franchise quarterback in Mark Sanchez.

5. Cleveland Browns: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
    -With Curry on the board, the Browns face a tough decision here. They already have an impressive ILB in D’Qwell Jackson and would probably prefer to add a pass-rushing linebacker instead. For the time being, I’m tempted to keep this pick the same as my last mock. Donte Stallworth’s off the field situation combined with Braylon Edwards’ uncertain future make Crabtree a top option.

6. Cincinnati Bengals: Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
    -The Bengals spent a first round pick last year on weak-side linebacker Keith Rivers and were prepared to look another direction this year. But if Aaron Curry falls to them, they may be unable to pass up. Curry would be an immediate upgrade over current SAM linebacker Rashad Jeanty or could move inside and replace Dhani Jones at middle linebacker.

7. Oakland Raiders: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
    -The Raiders may be tempted to take an offensive lineman here, but if the Raiders expect JaMarcus Russell to be successful as an NFL quarterback, they need to surround him with some weapons. Oakland didn’t have a receiver with more than 22 catches last year, so this is a position in need of a major upgrade. Maclin is a dangerous weapon who should start immediately.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars: B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
    -With the top two receivers off the board, the Jaguars are going to have to regroup a little bit. Word has it that B.J. Raji is high on the Jaguars’ board as well, and it’s no surprise why. Jacksonville traded Marcus Stroud to Buffalo last year and had a hard time replacing them. They could use another big body up front to pair with John Henderson in the middle of that line.

9. Green Bay Packers: Tyson Jackson, DL, LSU
    -As the draft nears, there’s a lot of buzz surrounding Tyson Jackson. NFL draft guru Gil Brandt is confident Jackson will hear his name called in the top five, possibly to Kansas City. While I think that’s a bit early for Jackson to come off the board, he’s a legit top 10 prospect in this class. While an offensive tackle makes sense here as well, the Packers could also use a 3-4 end like Jackson.

10. San Francisco *****: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
    -San Francisco is in a tough spot, but choosing between two talented players is never really a problem. The ***** need pass rush help and could opt to take Brian Orakpo, but Andre Smith is just too talented for them to ignore here. He could work immediately on either the left or right side and pave the way for running back Frank Gore on the ground.

11. Buffalo Bills: Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
    -After trading away Jason Peters, the Bills could very easily look to replace him with this pick. Michael Oher is still on the board, after all. But the Bills also have a huge need at defensive end, and weren’t expecting Brian Orakpo to be available here. Hoping to find a left tackle with their later first round pick, the Bills strike on the Texas pass rusher.

12. Denver Broncos: Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB, Penn State
    -Denver is making the transition to the 3-4 defense, which means they’re going to have to find players that can play within that scheme. Opinions vary on Aaron Maybin, but he reportedly wowed scouts with an outstanding pro day that has vaulted him back up draft boards. Without any options for their defensive line with this pick, the Broncos could take Maybin to improve their outside pass rush.

13. Washington Redskins: Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi
    -The Redskins spent a boat load of money on Albert Haynesworth, and may want to add some talent around him at defensive end. Word has it they’re also very enticed by quarterback Mark Sanchez. But sitting here at the 13-spot, I think Washington would benefit from grabbing a top tackle in Michael Oher, who can work in immediately at right tackle.

14. New Orleans Saints: Malcolm Jenkins, DB, Ohio State
    -There are rumblings that the Saints could very well look at an offensive player like running back Chris Wells. That’s the direction I went with them in my last mock, but I’m changing things up here because a defensive playmaker is available for New Orleans and they certainly need those. Jenkins could contribute immediately at corner or be groomed to replace Darren Sharper.

15. Houston Texans: Clay Matthews, LB, USC
    -Some scouts believe that Matthews might be not only the USC linebacker with the most upside but also the safest one as well. The Texans are looking to add some help to their front seven, especially outside at linebacker. They filled one void by signing Cato June, but need an improvement on the strong side. Matthews’ stock has flown this offseason, making him intriguing here.

16. San Diego Chargers: Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State
    -The Chargers may prefer to address their defense here, and in the end they may end up going that direction. But LaDainian Tomlinson’s new contract extension doesn’t necessarily guarantee that he’s in San Diego beyond 2009. Franchise runner Darren Sproles is playing on a one-year tender that he hasn’t signed yet. I wouldn’t be shocked if the Chargers went BPA and drafted Wells here.

17. New York Jets: Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State
    -New Jets head coach Rex Ryan is coming from a team that just made the AFC championship with a rookie passer behind center. The Jets likely want to upgrade at wide receiver, but will likely have options at that position later in the draft. The same can’t really be said at quarterback. Freeman has all the physical tools teams look for, making him the choice here.

18. Denver Broncos (f/CHI): Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
    -Defensive line would be a preferred area for Denver to address, but there aren’t very many good fits on the board right now. Starting tight end Tony Scheffler is on the trade block because he doesn’t fit Josh McDaniels’ offense, which calls for a tight end with blocking ability. Pettigrew is regarded as a top quality blocker and would allow Denver to move Scheffler to a new home.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Everette Brown, DE, Florida State
    -The Bucs would like to add a large defensive tackle for new coordinator Jim Bates, but Peria Jerry is barely 300 pounds and there aren’t any other options at the position of good value here. The Bucs also have to improve their pass rush, and Florida State’s Everette Brown – who racked up 13.5 sacks and 21.5 stops for loss in 2008 – knows how to get into the backfield.

20. Detroit Lions (f/DAL): Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
    -The Lions have two quality linebackers in Ernie Sims and the recently acquired Julian Peterson, but they have a pretty big vacancy inside at the MIKE position. New head coach Jim Schwartz would like the team to get bigger and more physical in the middle, and there may not be a better way to do it than to acquire Maualuga, a 250-pound thumper.

21. Philadelphia Eagles: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
    -Philadelphia made a splash a few days ago by trading for Jason Peters, one of the most athletic tackles in the NFL. Drafting a tackle with one of their two first-round picks was a possibility, but the acquisition of Peters allows the Eagles to look elsewhere. They’d still like to continue adding offensive weapons, making Knowshon Moreno an easy pick if he’s on the board.

22. Minnesota Vikings: Eben Britton, OT, Arizona
    -The Vikings gave wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh a hard look this offseason, which suggests they aren’t completely happy about their situation at receiver. But there’s less to like at right tackle, where Ryan Cook and Artis Hicks are far from ideal options. Eben Britton spent two years on the right side with Arizona and could lock down that position for the Vikings.

23. New England Patriots: Robert Ayers, DE/OLB, Tennessee
    -Even before the trade of Mike Vrabel, the New England Patriots had a need at outside linebacker. Now, that need has been amplified. Tennessee’s Robert Ayers has really helped his stock through this offseason process, and may not even be available here. After maturing and making great strides in 2008, Ayers joins a team that will only help him continue to grow.

24. Atlanta Falcons: Brian Cushing, LB, USC
    -Brian Cushing is reportedly one of the prospects the Falcons have their sights set on. There’s no guarantee that Cushing falls this far, but if he does, it shouldn’t take the Falcons long to act. They lost two starting linebackers this offseason and need to replace talent with talent. Cushing will pair with free agent acquisition Mike Peterson as outside ‘backers for Atlanta.

25. Miami Dolphins: Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut
    -The Dolphins lost their best corner in Andre Goodman, and I don’t think they’ve replaced talent with talent by signing Eric Green. Green may be fine in a reserve role, but the Dolphins need to find someone capable of starting next to Will Allen. Darius Butler had an outstanding career at Connecticut and, in the eyes of some, has surpassed Vontae Davis to be this draft’s second best DB.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
    -Somehow Darrius Heyward-Bey has fallen to the Ravens, and they couldn’t be more excited. When they worked out the Maryland receiver in March, the Ravens took Joe Flacco along to throw the passes. I doubt they’d drag their franchise quarterback along on the trip if they weren’t seriously interested, so if DHB is available here, the Ravens will likely pounce.

27. Indianapolis Colts: Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi
    -The Colts could look for a receiver here after the departure of Marvin Harrison, but I think a bigger priority is to get some help on the defensive line as I doubt Indianapolis wants to proceed into 2009 with Keyunta Dawson and Eric Foster as their starting tackles. Peria Jerry would have been the talk of the Senior Bowl were it not for B.J. Raji; Jerry is great value here.

28. Buffalo Bills (f/PHI): William Beatty, OT, Connecticut
    -With their eleventh overall pick, the Bills elected to pass on a tackle in favor of one of the best defensive ends in this class. You can hardly blame them, but now they need to come back and address the giant hole left in the wake of the Jason Peters trade. William Beatty showed the potential in 2008 to be an NFL left tackle and could be a target for Buffalo here.

29. New York Giants: Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina
    -New York is in an interesting position where they really don’t have many glaring needs; however the release of Plaxico Burress creates a question mark at receiver. Nicks is viewed by some as a second round prospect, but he is extremely pro ready and some believe he has Anquan Boldin potential at the next level. It’d be tough for the Giants to pass on him here.

30. Tennessee Titans: Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
    -The Titans do not have many glaring holes, which means they could go a number of different ways with this pick. Over the last few years, Tennessee has preferred to use mid round picks at the receiver position, but since their strategy hasn’t resulted in much success, perhaps they’ll be willing to take a risk on a dynamic talent like Percy Harvin here.

31. Arizona Cardinals: Donald Brown, RB, Connecticut
    -An outside pass rusher like Larry English or Connor Barwin may get consideration from the Cardinals, but I think their biggest priority is to find a starting running back. Edgerrin James is no longer that guy, and Tim Hightower is a nice situational player but may not be able to carry the load. Donald Brown should be an easy pick to add to an already potent offense.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers: Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
    -The Super Bowl champs could go a number of directions here. I think Cal’s Alex Mack is a strong possibility. But it’s hard to argue that Vontae Davis isn’t the best player available right here, and the Steelers could definitely use some talent at cornerback where there isn’t much to speak of after Ike Taylor. Davis could challenge for a starting job immediately.

ROUND TWO

33. Detroit Lions: Evander Hood, DT, Missouri
    -The Lions have parted ways with both Shaun Rogers and Cory Redding in the last two years; Schwartz knows the value of a disruptive lineman.

34. New England Patriots (f/KC): Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
    -Shawn Springs and Leigh Bodden may only be short term options; the Patriots need some long-term talented youth in their secondary.

35. St. Louis Rams: James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State
    -The Rams have a pressing need at wide receiver as well, but it would be hard to pass up a middle linebacker like James Laurinaitis if he’s available.

36. Cleveland Browns: Larry English, DE/OLB, Northern Illinois
    -The Browns passed on a pass rusher in round one to take Crabtree, and the move pays off as they add English in the second round.

37. Seattle Seahawks: Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia
    -Trading away Julian Peterson leaves a big hole on the strong side, but Sintim should be a fine replacement there.

38. Cincinnati Bengals: Alex Mack, C, California
    -The Bengals took the best player available in round one, and follow up with one of the best available here as well.

39. Jacksonville Jaguars: Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers
    -Jacksonville missed out on a top receiver in the first round, but find an excellent pass catcher in Britt in the second.

40. Oakland Raiders: Louis Delmas, S, Western Michigan
    -Michael Huff has been a bust, and the combo of Tyvon Branch and Hiram Eugene could certainly use an upgrade.

41. Green Bay Packers: Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma
    -The Packers come back in the second round and fill a gigantic void at right tackle by drafting Loadholt, who could sneak into the first round on draft day.

42. Buffalo Bills: Eric Wood, OL, Louisville
    -The Bills may want a linebacker or tight end, but the value isn’t there. Instead they strengthen the inside of their line with Wood.

43. San Francisco *****: Connor Barwin, OLB, Cincinnati
    -The ***** couldn’t resist adding an offensive lineman in round one, and are able to come back in the second and add Barwin to help their pass rush.

44. Miami Dolphins (f/WAS): Brian Robiskie, WR, Ohio State
    -Robiskie’s work out with Miami included a private session with quarterback Chad Henne; it’d be nice to pair him with former Buckeye Ted Ginn, Jr.

45. New York Giants (f/NO): Patrick Chung, S, Oregon
    -C.C. Brown is penciled in to replace James Butler at strong safety, but Chung would definitely be an upgrade for the Giants.

46. Houston Texans: Andre Brown, RB, North Carolina State
    -The Texans want a bigger back to compliment Steve Slaton; at 224 pounds, Brown is a rising prospect who could give Houston a more dangerous backfield.

47. New England Patriots (f/SD): Max Unger, OL, Oregon
    -The Patriots gave up nearly fifty sacks last year; Unger is an intelligent player who could factor in immediately at right guard.

48. Denver Broncos: Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
    -The Broncos didn’t have good options for 3-4 DL in the first round, but are ecstatic to see Ron Brace available here.

49. Chicago Bears: Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
    -The Bears would like to add another receiver opposite of Devin Hester, but the value here is with pass rusher Michael Johnson.

50. Cleveland Browns (f/TB): Sean Smith, DB, Utah
    -The Browns lost Sean Jones to free agency; Smith gives them the versatility to be tried at either cornerback or safety.

51. Dallas Cowboys: William Moore, S, Missouri
    -Though the Cowboys signed Gerald Sensabaugh, it was only to a one year contract. Moore gives them someone to develop as a long-term starter.

52. New York Jets: Jarron Gilbert, DE, San Jose State
    -Starting defensive ends Shaun Ellis and Kenyon Coleman are both in their 30s; Gilbert is a YouTube sensation who looks like a nice fit in the 3-4.

53. Philadelphia Eagles: Jared Cook, TE, South Carolina
    -The Eagles like Brent Celek, but Cook gives them another athletic pass catching weapon for Donovan McNabb.

54. Minnesota Vikings: Mohamed Massaquoi, WR, Georgia
    -The Vikings were looking for receiver help in free agency, but find it here in Massaquoi, whose stock is on the rise.

55. Atlanta Falcons: Sherrod Martin, CB, Troy
    -Don’t be surprised if Martin sneaks into the second round; teams will likely be intrigued by his combination of size (6’1” 198 lbs) and speed (4.4).

56. Miami Dolphins: Lawrence Sidbury, DE/OLB, Richmond
    -Sidbury is a bit raw but shows great athleticism and can improve as a pass rusher by learning from linebacker Joey Porter.

57. Baltimore Ravens: D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt
    -Moore gives the Ravens some much needed youth at corner and can try to fill the special teams hole left by Jim Leonard.

58. New England Patriots: LeSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburgh
    -The Patriots went through nearly half a dozen runners last year; maybe McCoy can be the franchise tailback they’ve been looking for.

59. Carolina Panthers: Fili Moala, DT, USC
    -Moala has good size and speed for the position and can improve his consistency and strength while working as part of a rotation in Carolina.

60. New York Giants: Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa
    -The Giants may not be convinced Ahmad Bradshaw can adequately replace Derrick Ward; if they have questions, Shonn Green is a good late Day One option.

61. Indianapolis Colts: Mike Thomas, WR, Arizona
    -The Colts have two starters in Reggie Wayne and Anthony Gonzalez, but they could use a third receiver for the slot.

62. Tennessee Titans: Jason Williams, OLB, Western Illinois
    -The Titans are looking to get younger on defense; Williams can spend time learning behind Keith Bullock before replacing the aging veteran next season.

63. Arizona Cardinals: Shawn Nelson, TE, Southern Miss
    -Arizona’s strength is their offense, and they continue to improve it by drafting a starting-caliber tight end in the second round.

64. Pittsburgh Steelers: Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma
    -The Steelers couldn’t pass up on Vontae Davis in the first round, and are able to strengthen their interior offensive line at the end of Day One.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Nick's Final 2009 NFL Two-Round Mock Draft

Oh, and I will likely try to get a seven-round Rams projection up either tonight or tomorrow before the actual draft itself. Surprisingly I don't think I've done a Rams-only mock this offseason, so I want to sneak one in before the real thing.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I like it. If Nicks is gone, and Laurinaitis is available, at pick #35, that would be a very logical choice. Brace would be as well, but I'm not going to split hairs at this point.

On the first pick, at this point I am relatively indifferent as to whether the Rams take J.Smith or Monroe. I think both will be very solid OTs for many years. Flip a coin.

realchamp11 Guest

like the pics for teh rams. We could come out with 2 possible starters in the first two rounds

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Nice work Nick. I hope you're right about pick #35, I'll be holding my breath when the second round starts.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

It's logical, it's succinct, it's entirely what I've come to expect from your mock drafts. Well done!

Tony Soprano Guest

Really Good Mock!

I think we need to do what it takes to get a Stout Middle Linebacker in the first 35 picks.

If it takes being aggressive, then we need to do it.