Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chiguy

Thread: Nick's Final (Unlikely) Two-Round NFL Mock Draft and Full Rams Draft

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Final (Unlikely) Two-Round NFL Mock Draft and Full Rams Draft

We’re less than a week out from the NFL Draft, so it’s time for a new mock! We’re going two rounds today with trades, but I’ve not provided the exact specifics for each one. If you’re curious, ask and I’d be happy to!

Feedback and constructive criticism is welcome. I feel pretty good about this projection, and will try to explain why in the comments for each pick. Thanks for reading!

ROUND ONE
    1. Houston Texans: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
    -Word came out recently that the Falcons, Houston’s best prospective trade partner, may not be moving up to the top spot for Clowney. If the Falcons aren’t making that move, it’s hard to see the team that will. Meaning, ultimately, Houston could just stay put and take the draft’s best prospect.

**TRADE**

2. Atlanta Falcons (f/STL): Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo
    -The Falcons may not want to pay the ransom it’ll take to move up to the #1 spot, but their history trading with the Rams means they could strike up a nice deal to move up to the second spot and take Buffalo’s Khalil Mack, who would be great in their upcoming 3-4 looks.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
    -With the top two pass rushers on the board, the Jaguars will have to determine where on offense they’ll want to go. They took a tackle high last year, so this time they’ll go with Watkins to bolster their receiving group, hoping to get a quarterback later.

4. Cleveland Browns: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
    -This pick would be easier with Watkins on the board, but he’s gone. They may take a tackle, but there isn’t a pressing need there. Could Mike Evans be in play? Maybe, but after waiting until the late first to take a series of QB busts (Weeden, Quinn), the Browns could opt to roll the dice and take their signal caller here.

5. Oakland Raiders: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
    -Blake Bortles could be in consideration here for the Raiders, but I suspect they want to win now and can look for a QB later. It comes down between the best offensive tackle and the second best receiver; the offensive tackle wins.

6. St. Louis Rams (f/ATL): Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
    -The Rams achieved yet another draft-day trade down, acquired a second round pick in this year’s draft and a pick in 2015, and still manage to get a great prospect in Matthews. He could start either at guard or right tackle immediately before eventually replacing Jake Long at left tackle. Plug him in, don’t worry about him.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    -This could be a spot for a trade, if someone wants to move up for Evans. Having said that, I think the Buccaneers could really use his services as a starter opposite Vincent Jackson. Josh McCown is going to need all the help he can get, so they take Evans here to give him that help.

**TRADE**

8. Dallas Cowboys (f/MIN): Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
    -The Vikings trade out of this spot rather than take a quarterback or pass rusher, and the Cowboys are happy enough to move up to grab Pittsburgh’s Aaron Donald. His ability as a three-technique pass rusher will be a great fit in their defensive system.

9. Buffalo Bills: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
    -The Bills would have loved a playmaking receiver like Watkins or Evans, and may have tried to trade up to secure them. But they end up picking in their original spot, and “settle” for Taylor Lewan, a hard-nosed Michigan lineman who will lock down the right side of their line.

10. Detroit Lions: Hasean Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
    -Detroit was another team looking to trade up, but it didn’t work out here. If they stay with their selection, they should look towards the best DB on the board. It could be a corner in Gilbert, but I think there’s more corner depth than safety, so they take the draft’s best safety instead.

11. Tennessee Titans: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
    -The Titans are happy to take Gilbert to fill the hole in their secondary left by the departure of Alterraun Verner in free agency. The Titans also have a need at outside linebacker, but I think they can address that later, allowing them to take the draft’s best corner here.

12. New York Giants: Zack Martin, OL, Notre Dame
    -There’s talk that Notre Dame offensive lineman Zack Martin won’t make it by New York here, and I think that rumor makes a lot of sense. Martin could get time at left tackle, right tackle, or inside at guard. Improving the protection around Eli Manning should help him get back on track after a down year in 2013.

13. St. Louis Rams: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Mighican State
    -The Rams watched the best safety and top cornerback go off the board before their picks, but I think they’ll be satisfied taking Michigan State’s Darqueze Dennard here at 13. Dennard is great in physical press coverage, which sounds like the kind of approach Gregg Williams will bring to St. Louis on defense.

**TRADE**

14. New York Jets (f/CHI): Odell Beckham, WR, LSU
    -Our third trade of the first round brings the New York Jets up a few spots to hop in front of the Steelers in order to take the draft’s third best receiver, Odell Beckham Jr. Beckham will combine with Eric Decker, a free agent pick-up from Denver, to give Geno Smith (or Michael Vick) more weapons on offense.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
    -The Steelers were considering Beckham with their pick, but aren’t too upset about losing him because there’s another great offensive weapon still on the board, and that’s Eric Ebron out of North Carolina. Ebron would be groomed as 31-year-old Heath Miller’s eventual replacement.

16. Minnesota Vikings (f/DAL): Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA
    -Masterful move by the Vikings, as they’ve moved down almost ten spots and still manage to get a prospect whom they were considering with the eighth overall pick. Anthony Barr is raw and will need some work, but he undoubtedly has skills as a pass rusher and is very appealing at this point in the draft.

17. Baltimore Ravens: Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville
    -The Ravens may opt to test the trade down market, and they may have some suitors with Blake Bortles and Kyle Fuller still on the board. But in this projection, I have them staying put and taking Calvin Pryor, whom they can pair with Matt Elam for an outstanding starting duo at the safety position.

18. Chicago Bears (f/NYJ): Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State
    -The Bears were hoping that Pryor would make it to them with this pick, but he goes off the board just one pick before them. So instead, they opt to strengthen their interior defensive line by drafting Florida State’s Timmy Jernigan, whom I still view as being good value here in the late teens, early twenties range.

19. Miami Dolphins: Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State
    -Miami would have loved it if either Taylor Lewan or Zack Martin would have lasted to their pick, but the Dolphins don’t get their wish. It’s too early to try and take another offensive lineman, so instead the Dolphins grab Shazier and hope he can be a better addition at linebacker than Philip Wheeler and Dannel Ellerbe were as free agents.

**TRADE**

20. Houston Texans (f/ARI): Blake Bortles, QB, UCF
    -Houston can’t take it anymore! The quarterback they were thinking about with the first overall pick has now slid to 20, and they make an aggressive move up to snatch him. Houston finishes the first day of the draft with arguably the best overall player and best overall quarterback; not too shabby.

21. Green Bay Packers: C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama
    -Like the Bears, the Packers would have loved a shot at one of the top safeties. They could still opt for a Jimmie Ward here, but I think it’s still a bit too early. The value on the board matches their need at inside linebacker though, so I have Mosley on their draft card.

22. Philadelphia Eagles: Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
    -Philadelphia made waves by parting ways with DeSean Jackson this offseason, and while they still have some receiver talent in Jeremy Maclin and Riley Cooper, they could use some more, especially with Maclin a free agent after this season. Cooks should be a great fit in Chip Kelly’s offense.

**TRADE**

23. San Francisco ***** (f/KC): Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
    -The ***** have a lot of picks in this draft, so they could be armed for a move up. They’ve watched Virginia Tech’s Kyle Fuller slip into the high twenties, and they figure that’s close enough to make a move. They sacrifice a third rounder for Fuller, who becomes an instant starter for a ***** defense that lost Tarell Brown and Carlos Rogers.

24. Cincinnati Bengals: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    -The Bengals are disappointed that Kyle Fuller went off the board one pick ahead of them, but they’ll find a nice consolation prize in TCU’s Jason Verrett. There are some who believe Verrett, were he 2-3 inches taller, would be contending to be the first cornerback off the board. He fills a big need for the Bengals.

25. San Diego Chargers: Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame
    -This pick hasn’t changed much in my projections, because the Chargers need a massive body at their nose tackle spot, and Nix certainly fills that job description. A pass rusher like Dee Ford or Kony Ealy should get consideration, but there are only so many potential zero technique players in this class.

26. Cleveland Browns (f/IND): Marqise Lee, WR, USC
    -The Browns have their quarterback in Johnny Manziel, and even though they have Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron, now need to give him some more weapons to play with. Lee is arguably the best receiver on the board and at one point was a potential Top 10-15 pick in this class.

27. New Orleans Saints: Dee Ford, LB, Auburn
    -The Saints could consider a defensive back, but they brought in Jairus Byrd and Champ Bailey to play safety and corner, respectively. So I think that allows them to look at other areas. While pass rush isn’t their biggest need, it’s tough to find a value on the board at another need position better than Auburn’s Dee Ford.

**TRADE**

28. Oakland Raiders (f/CAR): Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    -The sixth trade of this mock draft comes from Oakland. The Raiders held tight and took Greg Robinson earlier in the draft, but word is they covet Derek Carr. If he slips to the bottom of the first round, Oakland could make a push to move back up and get Carr, giving them the flexibility of a fifth-year option with him down the road.

29. New England Patriots: Joel Bitonio, OL, Nevada
    -Oh, what a decisively New England type pick. The Patriots need help at guard and center, so why not take the versatile Nevada offensive lineman who could play essentially anywhere along the line? Bitonio’s stock is on the rise, and the Patriots are the benefactors.

30. Kansas City Chiefs (f/SF): Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois
    -I think this is a really cunning move by Kansas City. They orchestrated a trade down with San Francisco, but still find their man on the board in Jimmie Ward and are able to select him at a spot representing better value. Ward should be able to step in as an upgrade over Husain Abdullah or could possibly spend some time at corner.

31. Denver Broncos: Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
    -Denver was active in free agency, bringing in Aqib Talib and T.J. Ward to help their secondary. However, I still think they could use additional corner help, as Tony Carter or Chris Harris would likely start at the other cornerback spot. Roby has great talent but needs to find better consistency.

32. Seattle Seahawks: Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana
    -Indiana’s Cody Latimer finishes out the first round as Seattle’s pick, as they try to replenish the weapons around Russell Wilson. Seattle lost Golden Tate to free agency, and didn’t do much to replace him. At worst, Latimer would spend his rookie year as a third option after Percy Harvin and Doug Baldwin.

ROUND TWO

**TRADE**

33. Carolina Panthers (f/ARI): JaWuan James, OT, Tennessee
    -Round Two starts out with a trade! Carolina dropped from the first round to Oakland’s pick in the second round, but seeing that JaWuan James could go to Washington or Cleveland, they decide to jump to the top of the round and secure their new left tackle.

34. Washington Redskins: Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA
    -The Redskins may have bigger needs on the defensive side of the ball, but Su’a-Filo is one of the best values on the board, and could be plugged in right away to start for Washington at either guard spot.

35. Cleveland Browns: Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
    -Cleveland finds their right tackle in Moses, who immediately replaces Mitchell Schwartz on the perimeter of the line. This allows Schwartz to move inside to guard, thus upgrading two spots at once.

36. Arizona Cardinals (f/CAR): Kony Ealy, LB, Missouri
    -Arizona probably would have given Ealy some consideration with their 20th overall pick, so I’d have to imagine they’re pretty pleased to find him available here in the second round.

37. St. Louis Rams (f/ATL): Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
    -The Rams might not think anyone besides Watkins and Evans give them much of an upgrade at receiver, but I think this group is so deep that they can still get a very talented prospect here in the second round. Case in point, SEC receiving record holder Jordan Matthews.

**TRADE**

38. Minnesota Vikings (f/TB): Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
    -The fall of Teddy Bridgewater is over! Minnesota couldn’t help but wonder if the Jacksonville Jaguars were going to take Bridgewater, so they leapfrog over them and grab Teddy themselves, knowing he’s outstanding value if he slides this far.

39. Jacksonville Jaguars: Tom Savage, QB, Pittsburgh
    -Jacksonville missed out on Bridgewater, but are they okay with it? Perhaps. I have them going with Pittsburgh’s Tom Savage, who has the physical tools you look for in a franchise quarterback and is trending upwards.

40. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (f/MIN): Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
    -Even though they could have made a case for taking a quarterback, Tampa Bay drops two spots and instead goes with a defensive tackle to pair with Gerald McCoy.

41. Buffalo Bills: Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
    -Buffalo missed out on a top receiver in the first round, so they should give some consideration to some second round options. In my opinion, Allen Robinson may be the best of the remaining bunch here.

42. Tennessee Titans: Demarcus Lawrence, LB, Boise State
    -Tennessee passed on Anthony Barr in the first round, thinking they could get a pass rusher here in the second round. They ended up being right, as they add Boise State’s Demarcus Lawrence to their new 3-4 scheme.

43. New York Giants: Stephon Tuitt, DT, Notre Dame
    -The Giants lost Linval Joseph in free agency, so they have a need at the position. They’ve been linked to Aaron Donald in the first round, but since they missed out on him, Tuitt here in the second is a nice back-up plan.

**TRADE**

44. New Orleans Saints (f/STL): Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State
    -Unsure how much longer he’ll be available, the Saints trade up to grab Colorado State’s Weston Richburg. Richburg is arguably the best center in the draft, and the Saints have need at the position after Brian De La Puente left.

45. Detroit Lions: Jeremiah Attaochu, LB, Georgia Tech
    -The Lions could double dip to address their secondary for the second round in a row, but they would also like to add a pass rushing linebacker. Attaochu should get some consideration here in the second round.

46. Pittsburgh Steelers: Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
    -The Steelers skipped out on a first round corner in order to add a long term big weapons to their offense. Here, they come back and grab Gaines, knowing that they’ll bring him along slowly as they typically do all their defensive rookies, allowing him to get used to the NFL game.

**TRADE**

47. Miami Dolphins (f/DAL): Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
    -There were offseason rumors that the Dolphins could take Kouandjio in the first round. While I don’t believe those will turn out to be true, they may move up to get him here, given their holes on the offensive line.

48. Baltimore Ravens: Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
    -The Ravens haven’t been the same on offense since losing Anquan Boldin, so they’ll be looking for more receiver help in the draft, even after signing Steve Smith. Opinions on Benjamin are up and down, but he should appeal to Baltimore.

49. New York Jets: Chris Borland, LB, Wisconsin
    -A defensive back should get a lot of consideration with this pick, but I think the better value on the board is Wisconsin’s Borland. He’d step in immediately at inside linebacker and replace Demario Davis, who struggled last season.

50. Dallas Cowboys (f/MIA): Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State
    -The Cowboys moved up in the first round at the expense of a 2015 pick, so moving down in the second round was a nice way to get some more talent now. They added a great defensive tackle prospect earlier, and come back here to improve their pass rush from the edge.

51. Chicago Bears: Deone Bucannon, S, Washington State
    -Chicago traded down earlier and missed out on a first round safety. If the value matches up here in the second round – and it does with Bucannon – then expect the Bears to address arguably their biggest need on the defensive side of the ball.

52. Arizona Cardinals: Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
    -A rookie quarterback isn’t going to help the ten-win Cardinals get over the hump this year, but it’s a luxury they can afford after trading down twice and accumulating picks. Garoppolo can sit and learn behind Carson Palmer before eventually taking over.

53. Green Bay Packers: Lamarcus Joyner, DB, Florida State
    -I gave a lot of consideration to a tight end here, but the Packers’ biggest need is at safety. They may also want some competition at the nickel cornerback spot. Joyner could fill their spot at safety but also has the potential to come into the slot in nickel packages.

**TRADE**

54. New England Patriots (f/PHI): Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame
    -The Patriots, trade UP? Well, I think in this scenario, there was a close call with the Packers passing on a tight end, so New England opts to move up and get the one they want in Notre Dame’s Troy Niklas.

55. Cincinnati Bengals: Kareem Martin, DE, North Carolina
    -There are some other areas the Bengals could explore, but after losing Michael Johnson to the Buccaneers, Cincinnati has some questions here. Is Margus Hunt ready to take the role? I’m not so sure, making it hard to pass on Martin here.

56. San Francisco (f/KC): Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss
    -San Francisco could use some more help at receiver, where they essentially have Michael Crabtree and an aging Anquan Boldin. A developmental prospect to groom for Boldin’s spot would be a great choice in this receiver-rich class.

57. San Diego Chargers: Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU
    -The Chargers continue to address their defense, this time getting the pass rusher they missed out on in the first round. BYU’s Kyle Van Noy is not only a relentless pass rusher, but is athletic enough to contribute in coverage as well.

58. St. Louis Rams (f/NO): Terrence Brooks, S, Florida State
    -The Rams gained another third round pick in their trade down with New Orleans, giving them some versatility at the tail end of the second day. But dropping down also put them in a great position to grab Florida State’s Terrence Brooks, filling a big need at safety.

59. Indianapolis Colts: Marcus Martin, OL, USC
    -The Colts are finally on the clock, and while they’d be wise to consider some defensive back help, they also have some needs along the interior of their offensive line. Marcus Martin could contribute very early on for them, whether it’s at right guard or center.

60. Carolina Panthers: Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson
    -The Panthers have their left tackle of the future in JaWuan James, and here they grab their receiver of the future in Martavis Bryant. What Bryant lacks in consistency he makes up for in length, something that will be a stark contrast to Carolina’s departing top receiver, Steve Smith.

61. San Francisco *****: DaQuan Jones, DL, Penn State
    -The ***** could give strong consideration to an outside linebacker here, given Aldon Smith’s situation. However, they also could use some future defensive linemen to groom behind their current starters. DaQuan Jones has great size and ability for the five technique spot.

62. Philadelphia Eagles (f/NE): Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood
    -The Eagles moved down and find themselves in a nice position to finally address the cornerback position. Desir has great size for the position and held his own against better competition at the Senior Bowl.

63. Denver Broncos: Billy Turner, OL, North Dakota State
    -Protecting Peyton Manning should continue to be a priority for the Broncos moving forward, so I have them selecting North Dakota State’s Billy Turner here. Turner was a left tackle in college, but could contribute elsewhere on the line in Denver.

64. Seattle Seahawks: Cameron Fleming, OT, Stanford
    -The offensive linemen continue to come off the board, this time a right tackle in Cameron Fleming from Stanford. He could step in immediately and compete for the vacated job by Breno Giacomini.

FULL RAMS DRAFT

R1 (f/ATL): Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
    -The Rams achieved yet another draft-day trade down, acquired a second round pick in this year’s draft and a pick in 2015, and still manage to get a great prospect in Matthews. He could start either at guard or right tackle immediately before eventually replacing Jake Long at left tackle. Plug him in, don’t worry about him.

R1: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    -The Rams watched the best safety and top cornerback go off the board before their picks, but I think they’ll be satisfied taking Michigan State’s Darqueze Dennard here at 13. Dennard is great in physical press coverage, which sounds like the kind of approach Gregg Williams will bring to St. Louis on defense.

R2 (f/ATL): Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
    -The Rams might not think anyone besides Watkins and Evans give them much of an upgrade at receiver, but I think this group is so deep that they can still get a very talented prospect here in the second round. Case in point, SEC receiving record holder Jordan Matthews.

R2 (f/NO): Terrence Brooks, S, Florida State
    -The Rams gained another third round pick in their trade down with New Orleans, giving them some versatility at the tail end of the second day. But dropping down also put them in a great position to grab Florida State’s Terrence Brooks, filling a big need at safety.

R3: Kelcy Quarles, DT, South Carolina
    -Stedman Bailey caught the Rams’ attention while they were checking into Tavon Austin. Could Kelcy Quarles have done the same while they looked into Clowney? Kelcy knows how to make plays when other guys on the line are getting attention, and that’s exactly the situation he’d find himself in as a Ram.

R3 (f/NO): Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
    -The second round trade with New Orleans resulted in the Rams gaining an additional third-round pick, which gives them the firepower they need to take a quarterback perhaps earlier than expected. Murray is a consistent presence at the quarterback position and should be a valuable developmental back-up, if not more.

R4 (f/WAS): Brandon Thomas, OL, Clemson
    -In this mock, I’m projecting a trade up to the top of the fourth round, combining the Rams’ fourth and sixth round picks, to get Brandon Thomas. Due to an ACL injury, his rookie year will essentially be a redshirt one, but the Rams could have him waiting to fill the void at guard left by Jake Matthews once he slides outside to replace Jake Long at tackle.

R5: Khairi Fortt, LB, California
    -Fortt is an intriguing Day Three prospect, especially for a Rams team seeking a long-term answer rfor a situational outside linebacker. Fortt is a very good athlete who can get off blocks but can also drop into coverage. With the right coaching staff, he could become a starting caliber ‘backer at the NFL level.

R6 (comp): Rajion Neal, RB, Tennessee
    -Neal was snubbed from the NFL Combine, but caught the attention of those in attendance at the Tennessee pro day with some impressive workout numbers and a solid showing in positional drills. The Rams have had luck with Day Three runners, so maybe Neal is the next gem.

R7: Ben Gardner, DE, Stanford
    -Speaking of Combine snubs, Gardner is another who surprised many when he wasn’t invited to the annual event. Like Neal, he made up for it with a nice showing at his pro day, clocking a vertical and broad jump that would have ranked in the top five of defensive lineman had he attended the Combine. He’d make a great practice squad addition.

R7 (comp): Dexter McDougle, CB, Maryland
    -I like the idea of a late round shot on McDougle, even if the Rams have taken a corner earlier. McDougle had season ending shoulder surgery this year as a senior, but still went to every away game and practice. Don’t count a guy like that out when it comes to earning a roster spot.

R7 (comp): Nic Jacobs, TE, McNeese St.
    -Good sized tight end prospect who could earn a special teams role or a spot as a blocking tight end in sub packages. Jacobs isn’t going to offer much as a receiver, but does well enough on short routes when asked. He’ll have some questions to answer about why he was suspended from LSU and transferred to McNeese.

Projected Rams 2014 Depth Chart
    Starters appear in bold
    Rookies appear in italics

Offense (26)
    QB: Sam Bradford, Shaun Hill, Aaron Murray
    RB: Zac Stacy, Benny Cunningham, Daryl Richardson, Rajion Neal
    WR: Chris Givens, Stedman Bailey, Tavon Austin, Jordan Matthews, Kenny Britt, Brian Quick
    TE: Jared Cook, Lance Kendrick, Cory Harkey
    LT: Jake Long, Mike Person
    LG: Jake Matthews, Brandon Washington, Brandon Thomas
    C: Scott Wells, Tim Barnes
    RG: Rodger Saffold, Barrett Jones
    RT: Joe Barksdale

Notes: Murray becomes the developmental #3, hoping to take over back-up duties next year. Neal replaces Pead on the depth chart; I’m not sure Pead makes it to the 53 man roster. Givens and Stedman start, with a heavy dose of Tavon in the slot and Matthews mixing in, as I thought it ambitious to ask a rookie receiver to start.

Defense (24)
    DE: Robert Quinn, Chris Long, William Hayes, Eugene Sims
    DT: Michael Brockers, Kendall Langford, Alex Carrington, Kelcy Quarles, Jermelle Cudjo
    OLB: Alec Ogletree, Jo-Lonn Dunbar, Ray Ray Armstrong, Khairi Fortt
    MLB: James Laurinaitis, Phillip Steward
    CB: Darqueze Dennard, Trumaine Johnson, Janoris Jenkins, Brandon McGee, Dexter McDougle, Greg Reid
    S: T.J. McDonald, Terrence Brooks, Rodney McLeod

Notes: Two rookie defensive starters, both in the secondary (Dennard & Brooks). Maybe that's ambitious, but I think they're both talented enough to step in and outplay the guys in front of them. The defensive line largely remains the same, except with the depth at DT playing a new factor. I think Fortt eventually replaces Dunbar as the starting at OLB, but it may not happen this season. I included both McDougle and Reid on the 53 man roster though I expect they'll not make the active roster much; still, Rams fans have felt the burn in the past of not having enough DBs.

Special Teams (3)
    K: Greg Zuerlein
    P: Johnny Hekker
    LS: Jake McQuaide

chiguy is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's Final (Unlikely) Two-Round NFL Mock Draft and Full Rams Draft

Oh, please oh please oh please oh please… That is EXACTLY what I'd like to see from the Rams.

Two observations"
    1. I'd like to see maybe another lineman other than Thomas, such as a G/C type. But, I couldn't tell you who.
    2. Maybe I'd like a RB one round earlier.

Nit-picks. I'd be pleased with this...
    Mikey likes this.

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Love it - Worst GM in football reaches again !!! How bout dem Cowboys !!!

Randart is offline Registered User

Nice Draft Nick with well orchestrated trades...Not sure we take a wideout that early, also I would love to take Hill or Hyde in that spot in round two! I really want one of the big RB's to pound and grind on our division rivals. I have other safeties I like more but getting one of the top 5 or 6 guys is still essential to this draft for us. Overall excellent job, I think most of us would not be belly achin' much over this draft. Thanks for sharing Nick.

Mikey is online now Registered User

Love the draft and coming away with that 1st-3rd round talent would be huge. Like Chiguy I think we need to add another OL or two who will be capable of playing this year. Thomas will be good but he's not likely to play in 2014.

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

Fantastic write-up and probably a much more realistic draft than most I've seen-especially with the trades. You obviously took a great deal of time with it and I think it is awesome.

I don't love all of the Rams picks (Matthews, Quarles) but like the overall draft very much. I love Aaron Murray and 3 of the first 4 selections, too.