Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's First Round and Full Rams Mock (3/11 version)

It's now been a little over a week since the conclusion of the combine, so I thought it was time to pump out a new first round projection and Rams mock draft.

Tried to change things up a little bit from the last projection based on how I think some things went at the combine, but also to give a little bit of a different idea of how things could go down. Plus, it's boring to project the same thing over and over again.

In order to get these out a bit quicker, I shortened the explanations. I appreciate those who responded to past mocks; feel free to respond and ask questions if you have them about specific picks!

NFL DRAFT: ROUND ONE

1. St. Louis Rams: Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
    -I’d prefer Suh, but I think if Bradford shows up healthy for his March 25th workout and looks impressive throwing the ball, he’ll likely be the pick.

2. Detroit Lions: Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
    -Though the Lions need to find a left tackle to protect Matthew Stafford, head coach Jim Schwartz will be frothing at the mouth if they can land Suh.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
    -The Bucs are in desperate need for defensive tackle help, making it a good year to have a high pick. McCoy’s ability to penetrate has caused many to compare him to Warren Sapp.

4. Washington Redskins: Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
    -The Redskins have an inside track on the health of Sam Bradford, but with the Sooner QB off the board, Washington will try to fill the hole left by Chris Samuels’s retirement.

5. Kansas City Chiefs: Eric Berry, DB, Tennessee
    -A lot of people are going OT here, and I understand the logic. But I have a hard time seeing the Chiefs pass on Berry, arguably the third best prospect in this class.

6. Seattle Seahawks: Brian Bulaga, OT, Iowa
    -Jimmy Clausen is an option here, but the Seahawks may still add someone in free agency. It may be beneficial to get a left tackle in place before grabbing their QB of the future.

7. Cleveland Browns: Joe Haden, CB, Florida
    -Haden’s slow 40-yard dash time may scare some people off, but word is his time was slow because of his form. He’s still in the hunt for Cleveland here.

8. Oakland Raiders: Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
    -Greg Ellis’s release leaves a hole at defensive end, and while Matt Shaughnessy may have shown some flashes, it’ll be tough for Oakland to pass on JPP’s potential.

9. Buffalo Bills: Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
    -The Bills could consider Jimmy Clausen here, but they’re desperate for a tackle and Trent Williams has emerged as a Top Ten possibility.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
    -Having signed DE Aaron Kampman, the Jags can look elsewhere. With the organization’s confidence in David Garrard wavering, they could take Clausen as their QB of the future.

11. Denver Broncos (f/CHI): Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
    -It’s a foregone conclusion that Brandon Marshall will be dealt this offseason. The Broncos will need to find another talented receiver to replace him.

12. Miami Dolphins: Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
    -The Dolphins resigned NT Jason Ferguson, but he’ll miss part of the year due to suspension. That time off will allow Dan Williams to get his feet wet.

13. San Francisco *****: Sergio Kindle, LB, Texas
    -The ***** are in serious need of some pass rush help and haven’t done anything to address the area in free agency.

14. Seattle Seahawks (f/DEN): C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
    -Seattle is in serious need of playmakers on offense, and Spiller likely locked up a Top 15-20 selection with an impressive combine showing.

15. New York Giants: Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri
    -The Giants’ decision to cut Antonio Pierce left a hole at middle linebacker; Weatherspoon has the ability to play inside and is rising after a strong offseason.

16. Tennessee Titans: Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
    -Tennessee needs some new blood at defensive end after watching Kyle Vanden Bosch leave in free agency; Morgan is excellent value here.

17. San Francisco ***** (f/CAR): Earl Thomas, DB, Texas
    -The ***** may consider an offensive tackle here, but the versatile Thomas offers better value and this is a fairly deep OT class.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers: Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
    -Davis’s stock is reportedly sliding, so he may not be great value here when it’s all said and done. But I wouldn’t be shocked to see Pittsburgh look at the Big East lineman.

19. Atlanta Falcons: Everson Griffen, DE, USC
    -The Falcons need to find someone capable of starting opposite of John Abraham on their defensive line, as Jamaal Anderson just isn’t getting it done.

20. Houston Texans: Ryan Matthews, RB, Fresno State
    -The Texans want to find someone to share the backfield with Steve Slaton, and are said to be giving heavy consideration to a first round runner.

21. Cincinnati Bengals: Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
    -After signing Antonio Bryant, the Bengals can afford to pass on a receiver. They still need a lot of help at tight end, though.

22. New England Patriots: Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan
    -Graham simply knows how to get after the passer, and that’s exactly what this New England defense needs.

23. Green Bay Packers: Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama
    -McClain’s stock is sliding a bit, but he’d be great value here. The Packers haven’t been thrilled with former fifth-overall pick A.J. Hawk.

24. Philadelphia Eagles: Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida
    -Eagles fans probably wouldn’t be thrilled about this pick, but they need help at defensive end and Dunlap is as talented as anyone.

25. Baltimore Ravens: Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
    -With their needs at WR addressed, the Ravens can turn to other areas that could use a boost. Specifically, their secondary.

26. Arizona Cardinals: Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU
    -The Cardinals have lost a fair amount of talent this offseason. Hughes gives them a dynamic young pass rusher for their 3-4 scheme.

27. Dallas Cowboys: Mike Iupati, OL, Idaho
    -Dallas has reportedly been very intrigued by Iupati since the Senior Bowl. It’s hard to imagine he couldn’t step in and start at left guard.

28. San Diego Chargers: Jahvid Best, RB, California
    -With Darren Sproles the only real runner on their roster, the Chargers need to add someone else they can plug into the backfield.

29. New York Jets: Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame
    -The Jets improved their secondary by trading for Antonio Cromartie, but now they need to add more playmakers on offense.

30. Minnesota Vikings: Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
    -Antoine Winfield was inconsistent after returning from injury, and there’s not a lot of great depth to speak of.

31. Indianapolis Colts: Brian Price, DT, UCLA
    -The Colts have gotten along for a while without a big presence on their interior line, but Price gives them a great penetrator next to Freeney and Mathis.

32. New Orleans Saints: Taylor Mays, S, USC
    -Even if Darren Sharper resigns, Mays gives the Saints an option for the long-term. And Mays may be able to improve his instincts by watching and playing behind Sharper.

RAMS MOCK DRAFT

Round Two (33): Corey Wootton, DE, Northwestern
    Alternate Pick: Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State
    -Wootton can rush from the edge or can penetrate inside as a situational tackle, similar to how Steve Spagnuolo used Justin Tuck in New York.

Round Three (65): Ben Tate, RB, Auburn
    Alternate Pick: Joe McKnight, RB, USC
    -The Rams are desperate for a second ‘back behind Steven Jackson; Tate is underappreciated as a tough runner who can catch out of the backfield.

Round Four (96): Donald Butler, LB, Washington
    Alternate Pick: Rennie Curran, LB, Georgia
    - Butler has had an impressive offseason, and though he moved inside during his senior year, he offers a lot to like as a potential outside linebacker as well.

Round Five (128): Colin Peek, TE, Alabama
    Alternate Pick: Tony Moeaki, TE, Iowa
    -Peek is a well-rounded tight end who comes from a program that knows how to win; he can compete with Fells for time on the field.

Round Five (151): Marshall Newhouse, OL, TCU
    Alternate Pick: Brandon Carter, OL, Texas Tech
    -Newhouse shined all over the line at the East-West Shrine game, and could compete for a role at either tackle or guard.

Round Six (160): Myron Lewis, DB, Vanderbilt
    Alternate Pick: Myron Rolle, S, Florida State
    -Lewis measured in a legit 6’1” and ran a sub 4.5 forty yard dash; he can provide depth at corner or safety for the Rams.

Round Seven (192): Adrian Tracy, LB, William & Mary
    Alternate Pick: Boris Lee, LB, Troy
    -Tracy is a converted defensive end would could be used situationally to provide additional pass rush help.

Round Seven (210): Joe Webb, QB/WR, UAB
    Alternate Pick: Kyle Williams, WR, Arizona State
    -Though Webb is trying to make the conversion to receiver at the next level, his experience as a passer makes him intriguing for specialized packages.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ludairv is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's First Round and Full Rams Mock (3/11 version)

ahh i hope they get either best or gresham in the 2nd... dang u think mays drops that far down... /// really good mock tho...

bigredman is offline Registered User

Considering we are going into an uncapped year, is there any realistic possible trading partner to get us another first round pick behind our #1? Perhaps Washington's # 4? This would provide us the possibility of getting Suh and a franchise QB.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I like it, Nick; especially in the mid-round value. I'm still hoping for Suh over Bradford, but I can certainly see the reasoning for Bradford.

Here's my question, which way do you see the reaction to Wooten going? Good (as in "hey, this guy can be our Tuck") or bad (as in "this guy is a 5-technique; it didn't work with Carriker, why are we doing this again")?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Don't see Spoon going higher than McClain. If you need a MLB, you take the best in the draft. The best thing about Spoon is that he can play any LB position. The problem is that he doesn't really dominate at any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ludairv View Post
    ahh i hope they get either best or gresham in the 2nd... dang u think mays drops that far down... /// really good mock tho...
    I can see scenarios where both Gresham and Best are available in the second. Just didn't happen this time. And yeah, I view Mays as a guy who is a late first round guy at the moment. Could go as high as #17 to San Francisco, but I think he's better value in the 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Considering we are going into an uncapped year, is there any realistic possible trading partner to get us another first round pick behind our #1? Perhaps Washington's # 4? This would provide us the possibility of getting Suh and a franchise QB.
    If the Rams trade back into the first round, it'll probably be somewhere in the twenties. The package that would be necessary to move back into the Top Five would be huge, and even if the Rams could assemble something close enough in value, you have to wonder (1) if they'd want to pay both of those big contracts, and (2) how much two top guys are going to be able to help a team with numerous needs.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I like it, Nick; especially in the mid-round value. I'm still hoping for Suh over Bradford, but I can certainly see the reasoning for Bradford.

Here's my question, which way do you see the reaction to Wooten going? Good (as in "hey, this guy can be our Tuck") or bad (as in "this guy is a 5-technique; it didn't work with Carriker, why are we doing this again")?
    There hasn't been much response to this mock, but when I made the pick, I didn't anticipate it being a particularly positive reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Don't see Spoon going higher than McClain. If you need a MLB, you take the best in the draft. The best thing about Spoon is that he can play any LB position. The problem is that he doesn't really dominate at any of them.
    I don't necessarily disagree. My thinking is that 'Spoon may be viewed as a better 4-3 MLB than McClain is. I think Rolando's best fit is probably as a 3-4 ILB.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

The first pick im fine with. I don't like wooten with that 33rd pick in any fashion. I think we can get better value for that pick and get a defensive end later if graham or griffin fails to fall there.

I also think we can do better than Ben Tate at the top of the third. I truly believe Ogbonnaya can fill the role a Ben Tate would with his soft hands and slashing style. I'd rather us get a playmaker as a change of pace guy as in a spiller, best, mccluster type. I'd rather us not force a runningback if the ones we want aren't there, and instead opt to wait another year for a lightning guy and use ogbonnnaya.

These are all fairly conservative picks, and honestly I'd be pretty disgruntled if this was all the Rams could do on draft day. Again however, all depends on who falls where, who gets traded, etc.

Ideally and reaslistically for me: Bradford, Best, Muckelroy/Daryl Washington/Lafell

ludairv is offline Registered User

man i hope the rams pick Benn in the second if hes their....hes built like boldin equally as tough but quicker ....his hands remind me of Colston and most recently crabtree that pluck the ball out of the air with their hands ....and dont just catch with their body........ \\\ If not i think they should go with Jahvid best...

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    The first pick im fine with. I don't like wooten with that 33rd pick in any fashion. I think we can get better value for that pick and get a defensive end later if graham or griffin fails to fall there.

I also think we can do better than Ben Tate at the top of the third. I truly believe Ogbonnaya can fill the role a Ben Tate would with his soft hands and slashing style. I'd rather us get a playmaker as a change of pace guy as in a spiller, best, mccluster type. I'd rather us not force a runningback if the ones we want aren't there, and instead opt to wait another year for a lightning guy and use ogbonnnaya.

These are all fairly conservative picks, and honestly I'd be pretty disgruntled if this was all the Rams could do on draft day. Again however, all depends on who falls where, who gets traded, etc.

Ideally and reaslistically for me: Bradford, Best, Muckelroy/Daryl Washington/Lafell
    If you'll notice, this projection had Best going to San Diego in the first round. So he wouldn't be available for the Rams to draft in the second, and I don't think McCluster is good value there. Tate is generally viewed as a good late second to third round runner, and I think the Rams want to add help to their backfield this season rather than put it off another year.

As for Wootton, I figured some people wouldn't like it. But if you pass on him, then you're left hoping a guy like Austen Lane falls to the third. If he doesn't, do you reach on Brandon Lang there, or hope he falls to the fourth round? Do you take an unimpressive Greg Hardy? Do you take George Selvie, even though he'd probably be a better fit as an OLB in a 3-4?

I like Lang in the fourth if he's there, but I also think Wootton is a solid second rounder, and the Rams definitely need to find a legitimate threat opposite of Chris Long. Maybe they could orchestrate a trade down and try to get Wootton a bit later, but he may be appealing to 3-4 teams as a potential five technique.

Quote Originally Posted by ludairv View Post
    man i hope the rams pick Benn in the second if hes their....hes built like boldin equally as tough but quicker ....his hands remind me of Colston and most recently crabtree that pluck the ball out of the air with their hands ....and dont just catch with their body........ \\\ If not i think they should go with Jahvid best...
    I think Benn is a definite option in the second round; again, Best didn't fall to the second in this scenario, but I don't think he's a first round lock so he could be there. If he is, he makes a lot of sense.