Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Late March Seven-Round Rams Mock Draft

Round 1
    Tye Hill, CB, Clemson
    5'9" - 185 lbs - Senior

Why? The Rams will likely watch Michael Huff and Haloti Ngata be selected prior to their pick, but that doesn't mean they will lose out on improving their defense. Tye Hill is arguably the best pure cornerback in this draft. He may not be as tall as some of the receivers he'll be asked to cover, but his amazing speed, good awareness and ball skills, and tremendous leaping ability (41" vertical) will more than make up for any concerns about size.

Round 2
    Joe Klopfenstein, TE, Colorado
    6'5" - 255 lbs - Senior

Why? When Scott Linehan described what he was looking for in his ideal tight end, everything I heard him say reminded me of Klopfenstein. He's got the height to be a great red zone target, the speed to stretch the field vertically, and can contribute adequately as a run blocker. He's an intelligent player with great work ethic who should compete immediately for time on the field.

Round 3
    Babatunde Oshinowo, NT, Stanford
    6'1" - 304 lbs - Senior

Why? Having missed out on the ideal nose tackle in Haloti Ngata in round one, the Rams would love to strike gold by drafting Stanford strong man Babatunde Oshinowo. He doesn't have the oustanding size of a Haloti Ngata, but he does have the kind of strength and power you look for from a nose tackle, and will occupy blockers well enough to allow Rams linebackers to roam to the ball carrier.

Round 4
    Spencer Havner, OLB, UCLA
    6'3" - 233 lbs - Senior

Why? At 6'3" and 233 pounds, Havner is your ideal strong side linebacker. He does a good job fighting through traffic and shedding blocks to get to the ball carrier, and can hold his ground at the point of attack, which are vital skills for the SAM 'backer. Havner is a solid tackler who takes excellent angles to the football and never gives up until the whistle blows.

Round 5
    Frostee Rucker, DE, USC
    6'3" - 267 lbs - Senior

Why? The Rams have added interior defensive line depth by selecting Oshinowo, but now need to get depth on the end. Rucker is a good open-field player and can stand up at linebacker in the 3-4, which should intrigue Jim Haslett. He's also added some weight to his frame in order to stand up against lineman from a downed stance.

Round 6
    Ryan Plackemeier, P, Wake Forest
    6'3" - 235 lbs - Senior

Why? Some Rams fans may balk at drafting another punter, but Matt Turk needs some youthful competition in camp this summer, and let's not pretend there will be a vast pool of superstars we'd be passing up at this point. Plackemeier has a strong leg and gets great hang time on his kicks. His inconsistencies can be ironed out.

Round 7
    Matt Lentz, G, Michigan
    6'6" - 320 lbs - Senior

Why? Lentz measured in at nearly 6'6" and 320 pounds at his pro day, which is excellent size for an interior lineman. He's a tough, physical lineman who has very good upper body strength and won't lose many one on one match-ups. Lentz is a jack of all trades player who isn't great at anything but is good at everything.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Nick's Late March Seven-Round Rams Mock Draft

Hey! We matched on the Round 6 pick!

I'd be okay with that draft for the most part... though I really would like to see a LB chosen on Day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Hey! We matched on the Round 6 pick!

I'd be okay with that draft for the most part... though I really would like to see a LB chosen on Day 1.
    The problem I faced was that most of the ideal strong side linebackers are graded too low for our first round pick but will likely be gone by the time we select in the second round. Guys like Bobby Carpenter and DeMeco Ryans may slip into the latter first or even early second, but won't hang around long enough for the Rams to move on them in that round. And after that, the number of ideal SAM linebackers goes down. Havner is a guy I like who I think has great size and the versatility to play all the LB positions in the 4-3, and all indication is he's a third or fourth round guy.

I believe Klopfenstein's stock has been rising steadily enough to the point where he is good value in the second round and worth choosing over guys like Dom Byrd or Anthony Fasano, who may be available in the third but it's definitely not a lock that they would be, nor do I think they offer quite as much as Joe does in the second.

And in the third, my biggest concern was grabbing a nose tackle to compete with Kennedy, because I don't see a lot of really great massive nose tackles in this draft. And while Babatunde doesn't have amazing size, he will be able to play nose tackle at the next level. He has great strength and displays the ability to hold his position on the line and not get pushed around. Combine that with what I thought about the first day depth of the SAM linebacker position, and I thought we could hold off on a linebacker until the fourth round, where Havner may be available and would be a great selection.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think that Linehan will push to take a TE on Day as you propose. Not sure if that's the best course of action, but JK would be a nice addition.

Black Hills Ramman is offline Registered User

I agree with Klop's value, but not sure he's the best fit for what our team does. Don't know what it would take, but I would really like to see the Rams move up in round 2 to get one of the better LB's out there. I think we could go with TE later in the draft as there are some good later round pcks. What would it take to move up about 8 picks in rd 2?
    BLACK HILLS RAMMAN

It would take a fourth round pick, maybe an additional late rounder as well.

Can you elaborate on why Klopfenstein isn't a good fit for us? He's a big target who can run very well and can block. That sounds exactly like what we're looking for.

and this is why I stay out of the draft forum, to many great minds in hear working things out for us already

Keep up the good work guys

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I'm not sure I like the idea of taking Klopfenstein that early. Isn't it possible that he could be had in the 3rd?

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    I'm not sure I like the idea of taking Klopfenstein that early. Isn't it possible that he could be had in the 3rd?
    Not at this point, IMO. All indications are that he's really risen up into the mid second round, which is exactly where we pick. Don't forget that we don't have the 11th pick in the second, but rather the 14th.

general counsel is offline Registered User

nick, the guy you have us taking from michigan at guard in round 7 sounds very interesting. why do you think he will be around at the end of the draft.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    nick, the guy you have us taking from michigan at guard in round 7 sounds very interesting. why do you think he will be around at the end of the draft.
    Lentz is a guy I've really liked since last season. But most analysts see him as a late rounder or a free agent.

The Sporting News projects him going in the sixth round. I don't believe he appears in Street & Smith's 7-round mock. ESPN projects him as a 7th rounder. NFL Draft Countdown projects him as a late rounder or a free agent. Lentz is not projected as one of Great Blue North's top 200 prospects, which encompasses at least 5-6 rounds worth of players. NFL Draft Scout projects him in the seventh or as a free agent.

I think there's a lot to like about Lentz, and he's one of those hard working blue collar players who don't have the elite skills but could find himself developing into a solid starter. But he's not widely regarded as a prospect, it seems.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Lentz is a guy I've really liked since last season. But most analysts see him as a late rounder or a free agent.

The Sporting News projects him going in the sixth round. I don't believe he appears in Street & Smith's 7-round mock. ESPN projects him as a 7th rounder. NFL Draft Countdown projects him as a late rounder or a free agent. Lentz is not projected as one of Great Blue North's top 200 prospects, which encompasses at least 5-6 rounds worth of players. NFL Draft Scout projects him in the seventh or as a free agent.

I think there's a lot to like about Lentz, and he's one of those hard working blue collar players who don't have the elite skills but could find himself developing into a solid starter. But he's not widely regarded as a prospect, it seems.
    Very surprising to see Lentz fall this far. You just can't go wrong picking up a Michigan O-lineman.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Nick you selected Spencer Havner in the 4th rd. Do you see him as a better prospect at SLB than B. Chiller? I believe Chiller weighs around 250# and is also 6'3". Are there any significant differences between these two?

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable
    Nick you selected Spencer Havner in the 4th rd. Do you see him as a better prospect at SLB than B. Chiller? I believe Chiller weighs around 250# and is also 6'3". Are there any significant differences between these two?

WHAT SAY YE?
    I think he's certainly no worse than Chillar, and personally I think he's better. I think he uses his hands better to shed blocks and get through traffic, and I like what Havner brings to the table in terms of coverage over what Chillar offers.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Nick,

I like how you picked a DT and a DE and and BIG offensive lineman. Maybe we want to take that Michigan guard earlier?

I think any way you deal the cards we're going to need players/and or depth at those positions. It all starts up front.

On another note, I keep hearing how Linehan will want to upgrade the Tight End position. I dunno.
    Linehan never had a first caliber (e.g., Shockey, Alge Crumpler) Tight End in Minnesota - where he made his reputation.

I would be SHOCKED if Linehan took Davis (TE) in the first round. There was even reports out there that Haslett got assurances when he took the job that the Defense would be addressed in the draft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-10-2008, 06:43 PM
  2. -03-10-2008, 06:43 PM