Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Fortuninerhater
  • 1 Post By general counsel
  • 3 Post By Rambos

Thread: Nick's Latest Two-Round Mock Draft (3/15 Edition)

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Latest Two-Round Mock Draft (3/15 Edition)

Now that the big first and maybe even second wave of free agency is in the books, some draft-specific need areas are becoming a bit more clear. Here's how I could see things shaping up now. As always, feedback and constructive criticism are welcome!

ROUND ONE
    1. Houston Texans: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
    -It's going to be a QB or Clowney here, and the Texans might like their chances of getting a solid enough QB in the second round.

2. St. Louis Rams (f/WAS): Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
    -I expect the Rams to trade down, and while I prefer Jake Matthews, Robinson has the power and strength in the run game that Fisher could fall in love with.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Blake Bortles, QB, UCF
    -While the Jags could make a case for passing on Bortles for Mack, they signed DE Clemons and Babin in free agency. They need a passer.
    4. Cleveland Browns: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
    -Watkins is superior to either the second or third QB prospect, and Browns could have their eye on a signal caller later in the first round.

5. Oakland Raiders: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
    -It would be tough for the Raiders to pass on Bridgewater, but they lost Veldheer to free agency and whiffed on Saffold. Unless they sign Donald Penn, tackle will get a long look.

6. Atlanta Falcons: Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo
    -The Falcons could trade up, with most thinking it's for Clowney. But with a potential move to the 3-4 in the works, they may covet Mack.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    -Even after adding Michael Johnson, Tampa may consider a pass rusher. Quarterback is tempting, but Lovie is rolling with McCown. Let's give him more weapons.

8. Minnesota Vikings: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
    -The Vikings luck out in this scenario, giving them arguably the draft's best quarterback at the eight-spot.

9. Buffalo Bills: Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA
    -The Bills could reach for an offensive weapon or safety help, but Barr could be their choice to help add to that defense.

10. Detroit Lions: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
    -The Lions filled their need at receiver with Golden Tate; their next biggest weak area is in the secondary, and there should be some value here.

11. Tennessee Titans: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
    -Lewan may not be an option with the Oher signing, and there isn't an OLB worthy of the pick here. Manziel is slipping, but if the organization isn't sold on Locker, he could be the pick.

12. New York Giants: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
    -New acquisition Geoff Schwartz expects to start at left guard, and Justin Pugh could be better off at right guard. Lewan would fill whatever tackle spot Will Beatty isn't playing.

13. St. Louis Rams: Hasean Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
    -The Rams lost out in free agency on the top defensive backs, so I expect they'll want to add one in the draft. Their need at safety is bigger than at corner.

14. Chicago Bears: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
    -The Bears have added free agent talent at defensive end and brought back some corners. But they've done nothing to make me think they wouldn't love Donald inside on their defensive line.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    -The Steelers haven't done anything to address the cornerback spot in free agency, and Dennard is arguably a Top 10 player IMO.

16. Dallas Cowboys: Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri
    -DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer are gone. Pass rusher just shot up the list of needs for Dallas, which could cause them to look Ealy's way.

17. Baltimore Ravens: Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame
    -Eugene Monroe is back, but Michael Oher is gone so the Ravens could be looking for a new bookend.

18. New York Jets: Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
    -Even after signing Eric Decker, the Jets still need more weapons on offense. Cooks reminds some of Tavon Austin, which would certainly make Jets QB Geno Smith happy.

19. Miami Dolphins: C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama
    -The Dolphins will move Dannell Ellerbe to the weak side if they find a new middle linebacker, and Mosley is one of the best values on the board at this point.

20. Arizona Cardinals: Dee Ford, LB, Auburn
    -The Cardinals haven't made any free agent moves at outside linebacker, so they may opt to look for help in the draft.

21. Green Bay Packers: Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville
    -BJ Raji and Mike Neal are back in Green Bay, and while Ebron is tempting, I don't think the Packers can ignore their glaring needs at safety.

22. Philadelphia Eagles: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
    -I don't think Nolan Carroll changes the Eagles' needs for a number one corner. Fuller should get some consideration around this point.

23. Kansas City Chiefs: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
    -The Chiefs haven't added a single offensive weapon for Alex Smith, so they could look towards the best one on the board in Ebron.

24. Cincinnati Bengals: Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State
    -Linebacker isn't Cincinnati's biggest need, but the Bengals cut James Harrison and need another reliable linebacker to play opposite of Burfict.

25. San Diego Chargers: Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame
    -NT Cam Thomas signed with Pittsburgh as a free agent, so the Chargers shouldn't pass up a legit 3-4 nose tackle in Nix if he falls.

26. Cleveland Browns (f/IND): Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    -The Browns passed on a QB early to get Watkins, knowing they'll likely be able to grab a passer with this pick.

27. New Orleans Saints: Marqise Lee, WR, USC
    -Great value on Lee, who fills the Saints' need for wideouts. Their top five pass catchers featured only two receivers in 2013.

28. Carolina Panthers: Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
    -Benjamin is referred to as "Baby Megatron," and the Panthers clearly need a new outstanding receiving weapon after parting with Steve Smith.

29. New England Patriots: Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State
    -The Patriots have added to their defensive secondary, and could look offense here. But Jernigan is too valuable to pass up, especially for a team in need of defensive tackle help.

30. San Francisco *****: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    -Despite Chris Cook's signing, defensive corner is still an area that could be addressed. Verrett is the best on the board.

31. Denver Broncos: Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA
    -The Broncos have aggressively filled defensive needs in free agency, so perhaps they try to replace/upgrade Zane Beadles with Su'a-Filo.

32. Seattle Seahawks: Stephon Tuitt, DL, Notre Dame
    -Seattle resigned some defensive line talent, but lost Red Bryant to Jacksonville. Tuitt gives them another big body but with more pass rush potential.

ROUND TWO
    33. Houston Texans: Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
    -Houston gets their QB in Garoppolo here.

34. Washington Redskins: Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois
    -Washington's first pick goes towards upgrading their secondary.

35. Cleveland Browns: David Yankey, OG, Stanford
    -RB is tempting but Ben Tate may sign. Yankey upgrades their RG spot.

36. Oakland Raiders: RaShede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
    -Great value for the Raiders, as Oakland has lost Pat Sims and Vance Walker.

37. Atlanta Falcons: Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
    -The Falcons brought Mike Johnson back, but hopefully not as a starter.

38. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise State
    -Michael Johnson on one side is great, but even better with Lawrence on the other.

39. Jacksonville Jaguars: Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
    -Jacksonville should explore upgrades to Alan Ball and Will Blackmon.

40. Minnesota Vikings: Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State
    -Minnesota lost Jared Allen, but could see Crichton as a replacement.

41. Buffalo Bills: Odell Beckham, WR, LSU
    -Very good value for Beckham, and the Bills need more receiver help.

42. Tennessee Titans: Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU
    -The Titans missed out on a top rush linebacker in Round One, but get Van Noy here.

43. New York Giants: Carl Bradford, LB, Arizona State
    -Bradford could play multiple LB positions, depending on what New York needs.

44. St. Louis Rams: Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
    -Matthews tore up the SEC and has the size/speed combo of an outside starter.

45. Detroit Lions: Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State
    -Dominic Raiola is back, but he's 35-years-old.

46. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
    -Not liking the value at other need spots; Heath Miller is getting up there.

47. Dallas Cowboys: Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State
    -Dallas would be wise to upgrade over Ronald Leary and Mackenzy Bernadeau.

48. Baltimore Ravens: Marcus Martin, C, USC
    -The Ravens can do better at center than Gino Gradkowski.

49. New York Jets: Tre Mason, RB, Auburn
    -Chris Ivory isn't scaring anyone in the run game.

50. Miami Dolphins: Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
    -Kouandjio slips, but it only takes one team to not be afraid of his medical.

51. Chicago Bears: Lamarcus Joyner, DB, Florida State
    -I doubt Ryan Mundy and M.D. Jennings solved Chicago's safety issues.

52. Arizona Cardinals: Jack Mewhort, OT, Ohio State
    -Veldheer on one side and Mewhort on the other is a nice combo.

53. Green Bay Packers: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
    -Finley's replacement is found here in Round Two.

54. Philadelphia Eagles: Trent Murphy, LB, Stanford
    -The Eagles land their pass rusher in Murphy.

56. San Francisco (f/KC): Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
    -The ***** can only count on Boldin for so long.

55. Cincinnati Bengals: Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida
    -Nice value for the Bengals, who continue to address defense.

57. San Diego Chargers: Jeremiah Attaochu, LB, Georgia Tech
    -Perhaps a bit early, but San Diego is desperate for pass rushers.

59. Indianapolis Colts: Deone Bucannon, S, Washington State
    -Antoine Bethea left for the *****; Bucannon is rising.

58. New Orleans Saints: Chris Borland, LB, Wisconsin
    -Borland could immediately replace the awful David Hawthorne.

60. Carolina Panthers: Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee
    -Richardson gives Carolina some options at a key need area.

61. San Francisco *****: Ego Ferguson, DL, LSU
    -Not a huge need area, but San Fran would be wise to plan for the future.

62. New England Patriots: Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame
    -Can the Pats really count on Gradkowski when he's injured so much?

63. Denver Broncos: Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
    -Denver saw what big corners did to them in the Super Bowl.

64. Seattle Seahawks: Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
    -Seattle is so needy at receiver that they may bring Sidney Rice back.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's Latest Two-Round Mock Draft (3/15 Edition)

Like the first round and agree with the reasoning. Both picks make too much sense to not go that way. I'm almost tempted to take one of the centers in the second. Barnes I believe remains unsigned as a back up center. Wells we know is injury prone and into his 30's. He's also in the last year of his contract. Not sure where Barrett Jones ends up though. Also the more footage I watch of Tre Mason the more impressed i become. Granted the line and game plan were built for an RB like him but he would be a great asset.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Still don't believe we take an Olineman with our first pick.

Also believe the Texans are more likely to take Khalil Mack over Clowney because of their 34 defense, if they go away from QB.

And even though Safety may be a bigger need, I'd take Aaron Donald over Clinton Dix at 13, and take my chances on a safety later.
    Richbert88 likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

i still think there are better guys than clinton-dix, just doesn't really appear to be the best safety

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Now that the big first and maybe even second wave of free agency is in the books, some draft-specific need areas are becoming a bit more clear. Here's how I could see things shaping up now. As always, feedback and constructive criticism are welcome!

2. St. Louis Rams (f/WAS): Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
    -I expect the Rams to trade down, and while I prefer Jake Matthews, Robinson has the power and strength in the run game that Fisher could fall in love with.
    If the Rams were to get both Robinson/Matthews and Clinton-Dix in the first round, I surely wouldn't complain. Nick, you prefaced the Rams first pick by saying you expect a trade down. Do you have any inkling of which teams might be willing to give up the draft picks it would require? I read recently the Rams are already fielding calls as to what sort of offer it would take for us to part with the #2 overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    And even though Safety may be a bigger need, I'd take Aaron Donald over Clinton Dix at 13, and take my chances on a safety later.
    What is your impression of Aaron Donald. Is he going to be a slightly bigger, faster version of Warren Sapp? I am on the fence with these two. Safety would appear the more immediate need, but if Donald is viewed by Fish/Snead as the ultimate havoc wreaker, perhaps they might be tempted. Your thoughts?

general counsel is offline Registered User

Need or not, i will go on record as stating that if fisher and snead think that aaron donald is as good as warren sapp, let alone a slightly bigger faster version of him, we arent taking a safety ahead of donald, unless ronnie lott is available. I have no idea what to make of Donald, he certainly is intriguing, others know a lot more than i do. But i do feel strongly that if the rams decision makers really feel strongly about his talent at the defensive tackle position, i think they would grab him. I dont think we have fallen into the need trap much under fisher, look at the brockers pick as an example. Fisher has the guys he likes and he grabs them or tends to try and trade down.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    MauiRam likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I can't imagine trying to mock one round for every team but two is nuts. Nice job Nick.
    Nick, mde8352gorams and DE_Ramfan like this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    What is your impression of Aaron Donald. Is he going to be a slightly bigger, faster version of Warren Sapp? I am on the fence with these two. Safety would appear the more immediate need, but if Donald is viewed by Fish/Snead as the ultimate havoc wreaker, perhaps they might be tempted. Your thoughts?
    Obviously he's got a ways to go before he's even close to the player Warren Sapp was.

But from what I've seen of him, he does remind you of a young Sapp.

He's at least as quick, and though I don't know how many reps Sapp did at the combine back in '95, I know Donald's 35 last month, are among the best pound for pound in combine history.

Contrary to popular belief, he is not as big as Sapp. He measured 6'0 285. Sapp was listed at 6'2 300.

But as we know, generally the low man wins in the trenches. So though he is slight for a DT, his low center of gravity combined with his obvious strength, will be advantages, not disadvantages.

Whether he can duplicate his fianal college season, which netted him every major award for the best defensive lineman in the country, in the NFL, obviously remains to be seen.

But he certainly looks like the most disruptive, and most explosive force among the DTs in this draft for sure.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -03-15-2014 at 04:57 PM.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

I too completely understand the logic, but with the others see us taking Donald over HAHA. Good draft, excellent work fleshing out a two rd for all teams!!!

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Contrary to popular belief, he is not as big as Sapp. He measured 6'0 285. Sapp was listed at 6'2 300.
    Warren Sapp was listed at 6'-1" and 281 pounds back in 1995 when he weighed in at the combine. He got bigger (303 lbs). as his career progressed.

Jordan Matthews at #44 overall is an intriguing pick. Is this kid a lot more polished than say Brian Quick when he was drafted?

HOOVER, Ala. -- Plenty of wide receivers idolize legendary San Francisco ***** wide receiver Jerry Rice. Far fewer have ever met him. And far fewer than that consider him family. So when Vanderbilt wide receiver Jordan Matthews told reporters at SEC Media Days that he modeled his game after the Hall of Famer, few were surprised. Then Matthews revealed exactly how strong the connection is -- his mother and Rice are first cousins.

"Back when he was with the Raiders, me and my family took a trip to Oakland, we watched him play. He gave us tickets -- this is before I was a college player that he gave us tickets, so y'all can write that down," Jordan joked in reference to NCAA rules. "We got to see his house. A really cool guy."

Some early scouting reports on Matthews cited he lacked deep speed, and projected Jordan to run in the 4.5s or 4.6s. Jordan put those projections to bed with an official 4.46 forty, and two "unofficial" times of 4.40 and 4.44.

Nice job Nick!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Like the first round and agree with the reasoning. Both picks make too much sense to not go that way. I'm almost tempted to take one of the centers in the second. Barnes I believe remains unsigned as a back up center. Wells we know is injury prone and into his 30's. He's also in the last year of his contract. Not sure where Barrett Jones ends up though. Also the more footage I watch of Tre Mason the more impressed i become. Granted the line and game plan were built for an RB like him but he would be a great asset.
    Center could certainly be a consideration at some point, if the Rams don't think Barnes or Jones is the future of the position. I could see them looking that way in the third round, depending on who is there.

Also believe the Texans are more likely to take Khalil Mack over Clowney because of their 34 defense, if they go away from QB.

Valid points. If the Rams like someone in that second tier of safeties expected to go on Day Two, they could go another way in the first if the value is right.

However, with the Combine in the rear-view mirror, I do think the safeties - particularly Ha Ha - could come off the board anywhere in the teens and early twenties, so value-wise I don't think the Rams are losing out by taking him there over a guy like Donald.

For instance, I have the Bears taking Donald in this mock, but I could just as easily see them go Clinton-Dix as well.

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    i still think there are better guys than clinton-dix, just doesn't really appear to be the best safety
    Fair enough.

Nick, you prefaced the Rams first pick by saying you expect a trade down. Do you have any inkling of which teams might be willing to give up the draft picks it would require?
    Just the usual suspects: Cleveland, Oakland, Atlanta. I think the Falcons' pick @ 6 is the lowest the Rams can afford to go without losing out on one of the truly elite non-QBs in this class. I'd hate to see them have this pick from Washington and not come away with one of the top players here.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Need or not, i will go on record as stating that if fisher and snead think that aaron donald is as good as warren sapp, let alone a slightly bigger faster version of him, we arent taking a safety ahead of donald, unless ronnie lott is available. I have no idea what to make of Donald, he certainly is intriguing, others know a lot more than i do. But i do feel strongly that if the rams decision makers really feel strongly about his talent at the defensive tackle position, i think they would grab him. I dont think we have fallen into the need trap much under fisher, look at the brockers pick as an example. Fisher has the guys he likes and he grabs them or tends to try and trade down.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I don't look at it as a "need trap." All teams draft for need, to some extent. It just might not be the one most identify as the highest priority one.

But when the Rams took Brockers, they had a need at DT. When they traded up for Austin, they had a need at WR. There was a need at OLB when Ogletree was selected.

This is a "win now" league. Unless you're a championship caliber team, it's tough to make a first round selection - where teams expect to find guys who can make a quick impact - at a position where the opportunity to do so isn't available.

You can make a case for DT as a need though, because Langford probably won't be around after this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I can't imagine trying to mock one round for every team but two is nuts. Nice job Nick.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbofargo View Post
    I too completely understand the logic, but with the others see us taking Donald over HAHA. Good draft, excellent work fleshing out a two rd for all teams!!!
    Nice job Nick!
    Thanks!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Warren Sapp was a disruptive force of nature throughout his entire NFL career. Had it not been for the positive cocaine test, he would have been drafted IMO in the top 3 picks or so of the draft. It's pretty hard to pass on guys with that kind of talent at the defensive tackle position, which is so critical to a team's success.

I agree with you nick, especially as it relates to Donald filling a need. I dont think the rams would take a qb high in the draft (ie completely go for bpa and ignore the fact that they have bradford), but depth on the defensive line, especially with Langford not necessarily being a long term guy, remains a need, as it is for almost every nfl team. This also explains why i wont be shocked if we take clowney, even though defensive end appears on paper to be the last thing we need. You can never have enough pass rush.

One thing i love about fisher and snead (which i think comes in large part from kroenkes support) is that they are not focused on a one season fix. There were too many holes to fill. This has been a long term plan and if they really think donald is that talented, i think they will grab him ahead of a safety in this draft.

I am not saying they will ignore need, and i said clearly that it depends on how they evaluate the talent of donald. If they have two guys the same, sure need counts more. But, if they have one guy rated well ahead of the other, they arent going to draft for pure need (ie safety) ahead of a guy they like a lot more at defensive tackle.

One other thing. While Brockers was certainly a need, so was corner and they passed on claiborne, traded back and took their chances with getting brockers. Why did they do that? In part, because they didnt jump on the "need" for the corner, they were looking at the guy they wanted in brockers and were willing to take the chance that he would be available later.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

I am not saying they will ignore need, and i said clearly that it depends on how they evaluate the talent of donald. If they have two guys the same, sure need counts more. But, if they have one guy rated well ahead of the other, they arent going to draft for pure need (ie safety) ahead of a guy they like a lot more at defensive tackle.
    Agreed. I don't have Clinton-Dix and Donald rated with one significantly higher than another, though. Hence the pick. Here's a gauge of where some others have them...

Jeremiah: Donald @14, HCD @ 17
    Scouts Inc: Donald @ 12, HCD @ 16
    CBS Draft: HCD @ 15, Donald @ 16
    Kiper: Donald @ 21, HCD @ 24

One other thing. While Brockers was certainly a need, so was corner and they passed on claiborne, traded back and took their chances with getting brockers. Why did they do that? In part, because they didnt jump on the "need" for the corner, they were looking at the guy they wanted in brockers and were willing to take the chance that he would be available later.
    That's true, but ultimately they still went after a guy who filled a need. And then they turned around and drafted two corners on Day Two. I think what we often forget about fans is that teams are looking for specific fits for what they want to do, and sometimes that lowers the grades on guys.

This comes into play when talking about teams taking a QB high in the draft. The consensus seems to be that there are three passers that could go in the Top 10, but teams may not think one or two of those guys fit their scheme and may not view them as that good of a consolation prize, which may cause them to trade up for "their guy" rather than staying put knowing Plan B or C will be there.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

My only question would be if we don't take Clinton-Dix or Pryor in the first, what do we do at safety? i presume a round 2 or 3 pick, but who would you go for?

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    My only question would be if we don't take Clinton-Dix or Pryor in the first, what do we do at safety? i presume a round 2 or 3 pick, but who would you go for?
    On Day Two, you're probably looking for Jimmie Ward, Deone Bucannon, Ed Reynolds, Terrence Brooks, maybe Craig Loston or Dion Bailey.