Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Mid-Season First Round Mock Draft

Well, the Rams are now 4-4 with half the season under their belts. Thought it would be time to pump out another first round prognostication. Some movers and shakers, but nothing will be anywhere close to certain until this spring when the real evaluations start being made. But until then, enjoy!

1. Cardinals - Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin
    -Does Joe Thomas deserve to go first overall in this draft? I would likely say no at this point. But unless the Cardinals could move out of this pick with a trade, Thomas has to be a man for an offensive line that desperately needs talent.

2. Dolphins - Calvin Johnson*, WR, GA Tech
    -The Dolphins would have liked to see Thomas fall, but faced with the second overall pick, Calvin Johnson is far from a consulation prize. The combination of Johnson with Chris Chambers will instantly improve Miami's offense.

3. Lions - Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
    -The Detroit Lions struck out with Joey Harrington, but most scouts agree that Quinn has all the right tools to succeed. Enter Mike Martz, known for his ability to get the most out of young quarterbacks. Result? Match made in heaven.

4. Raiders - Adrian Peterson*, RB, Oklahoma
    -While not selecting Adrian out of huge need at the position, the Raiders are floundering and need some kind of spark to improve their offense and get fans excited. Peterson isn't the offensive lineman they need, but he's a welcome additional regardless.

5. Titans - Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson
    -There's no question in my mind that Gaines Adams thus far has separated himself from Quentin Moses as the best defensive end prospect in this draft, and seeing as how the Titans have only accumulated 14 sacks thus far this season, the pick is a nice fit.

6. Browns - Leon Hall, CB, Michigan
    -Hall has met the challenge of other defensive backs and has held them off to remain the top corner prospect available. I think if he continues to be productive and does well in workouts, he'll justify the Browns spending a high pick on him.

7. Texans - Sam Baker*, OT, USC
    -One of the biggest holes on this Texans team for years has been the lack of an even adequate left tackle. Just ask David Carr, who despite having a good year passing has been sacked 21 times already this season.

8. Buccaneers - Alan Branch*, DT, Michigan
    -Let's face it, Branch is not your typical Tampa 2 interior lineman. But this kid is special. Even though he may not be the best fit for the scheme, he'll surely help the Buccaneers shore up that 27th ranked run defense.

9. Steelers - LaMarr Woodley, DE/OLB, Michigan
    -The Pittsburgh Steelers are known for their talented linebackers, and adding LaMarr Woodley in the first round gives them another big talent for the future to ensure their defense remains one of the best for years to come.

10. Packers - Marshawn Lynch*, RB, California
    -It's only a matter of time before Aaron Rodgers takes over this team, and why not give him a guy in the backfield from the same alma matter? The Packers will need to surround their young quarterback with talent, and Lynch is just the man for the job.

11. Bills - Ted Ginn Jr*, WR, Ohio State
    -Buffalo really lacks an elite threat at receiver - Lee Evans is good but I'm not convinced he's a legit #1 guy. Their average punt return game could use a boost as well. Enter Ted Ginn, who kills two birds with one stone.

12. Redskins - Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno State
    -Washington isn't far removed from spending a previous first round pick on a corner, but their pass defense is atrocious. Some would argue McCauley should be the first corner off the board, and he has all the tools to succeed at the next level.

13. ***** - LaRon Landry, S, LSU
    -The San Francisco secondary lacks a playmaker at safety, and seem to have a number of players there but no clear stud. Landry is one of the most polished players in this draft having stayed for his senior year, and will instantly upgrade the 49er defense.

14. Panthers - Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State
    -Dan Morgan is still struggling with injury problems, and in mid-October was placed on injured reserve due to concussion problems. The Panthers can't depend on him to be on the field for a full season, making Posluszny a logical choice.

15. Vikings - Dwayne Jarrett*, WR, USC
    -Troy Williamson has shown flashes of ability but is still growing. The rest of the Viking receiving corps is basically a Land of Mistfit Toys, with names like Marcus Robinson and Travis Taylor. Combining Williamson with Jarrett makes for a nice young duo.

16. Cowboys - Levi Brown, OT, Penn State
    -It seems clear the Cowboys want to go with the younger and more mobile Tony Romo over Drew "Statue of Liberty" Bledsoe, but that doesn't mean Dallas shouldn't shore up their line and help their young quarterback out.

17. Eagles - Daymeion Hughes, CB, California
    -The Eagles have two very good starters at cornerback in Shelton Brown and Lito Sheppard. But what's behind them? Virtually nothing. Hughes' stock is on the rise, and he gives Jim Johnson another talented DB to utilize in that defense.

18. Jets - Quentin Moses, DE/OLB, Georgia
    -Moses hasn't had the kind of year some would expect, but the Jets are going to look not just at his production but his skills and abilities. If Eric Mangini wants to run the 3-4 in New York, he'll need a player like Moses who can stand up as a true 'rush linebacker.

19. Rams - Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi
    -Starting at SLB for the Rams, Brandon Chillar has improved from previous seasons, but the position could still be upgraded. Willis, a tackling machine, plays middle linebacker in college but many feel he can make the transition outside.

20. Bengals - Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
    -Cincinnati has to get stronger up front, especially if they intend to switch to the 3-4 defense as has been rumored. If that's their plan, Justin Smith may not be back since he's not an ideal fit on the line. Carriker is a big end who would fit the bill for the Bengals.

21. Falcons - Michael Griffin, S, Texas
    -With 22-year-old DeAngelo Hall at one corner spot and Jimmy Williams likely taking over the other in the not-so-distant future, the Falcons look to add to a young talented secondary by finding Lawyer Milloy's eventual replacement - Michael Griffin.

22. Chiefs - Quinn Pitcock, DT, Ohio State
    -The Chiefs have not gotten their money's worth out of defensive tackle Ryan Sims, and the rest of the interior unit leaves something to be desired. Pitcock almost feels like the forgotten man as a defensive line prospect, but deserves attention here.

23. Patriots (f/SEA) - Darrelle Revis*, CB, Pittsburgh
    -While the Patriots' defense in general has been strong this season, they need more bodies in the secondary. Revis is rising up many scouts' boards and has the aggressiveness that Belichick loves in his defensive players.

24. Jaguars - Kenny Irons, RB, Auburn
    -Fred Taylor isn't getting any younger, and Jones-Drew is best kept as a situational player. The Jaguars could find another decent 'back to rotate with Maurice for their running game, but Irons might be too good to pass up at this spot.

25. Ravens - Justin Blalock, G/T, Texas
    -Previously one of the stronger running teams in the league, the Ravens have not been able to get it going on the ground the last couple of seasons. The bottom line is it all starts up front, and Blalock could provide help at either guard or tackle.

26. Chargers - Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame
    -Philip Rivers is having a productive year despite his two leading receivers being his tight end and running back. The Chargers need a wide receiver threat in the worst way, and if Samardzija has shown anything this year, it's that he's a playmaker.

27. Giants - Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville
    -Okoye is rising up the charts and should get consideration in the late first round. An exceptionally young player, Amobi has really had an impressive senior campaign thus far, one that will only be highlighted if Louisville remains in the national title hunt.

28. Saints - Buster Davis, LB, Florida State
    -Davis may or may not sneak into the first round, but the bottom line is the Saints are in need of help at the linebacker position. The starting combination of Scott Fujita, Mark Simoneau, and Scott Shanle leave a lot to be desired.

29. Patriots - Sidney Rice*, WR, South Carolina
    -Having traded Deion Branch to the Seattle Seahawks, the Patriots have done an adequate job getting around the fact that they lack a true #1 receiver. Chad Jackson may grow to be the man, but he's going to need some help.

30. Broncos - Victor Abiamiri, DE, Notre Dame
    -The average age for starting Denver defensive linemen is 29.75 years, and while the undersized Elvis Dumervil has looked sharp as a situational rusher, they'll need someone to eventually start for them, namely a Notre Dame stand-out like Victor Abiamiri.

31. Bears - Zach Miller*, TE, Arizona State
    -The Bears have been able to get good production out of Desmond Clark thus far this season, but he doesn't have much left in the tank and this is clearly an area that can be improved. Miller is a well-rounded prospect who should give Grossman yet another option.

32. Colts - Aaron Rouse, SS, Virginia Tech
    -Rouse gives the Colts a few options at need positions. He could work himself into the line-up at strong safety beside Bob Sanders, or he could replace potential free agent ato June and shift to weak-side linebacker in Tony Dungy's Tampa 2 defense.
    Last edited by Nick; -11-07-2006 at 05:25 AM.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

chiguy is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's Mid-Season First Round Mock Draft

If the draft broke this way, I think I'd rather see the Rams draft Carricker.

Carriker's an intriguing choice, but from a value perspective right now, I couldn't take him over Willis. Especially since I don't see this LB class as being deep for strong side candidates whereas it's a good class for defensive ends IMO.

Fair enough, I just want a play making lineman so bad that I'd send RF16 to Iowa State.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I love this pick of Patrick Willis. I've been a fan of his since I saw a thread on this board about him. The only question that I have is if he will actually drop down to pick #19. I mean A.J. Hawk didn't make it out of the top 7 if I remember correctly. And that draft was much deeper at LB than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    The only question that I have is if he will actually drop down to pick #19. I mean A.J. Hawk didn't make it out of the top 7 if I remember correctly.
    Coming out of college, I wouldn't exactly put Willis at Hawk's level, though. There's still a solid chance Posluszny is the first LB drafted, and Willis' position will depend on where he finishes this season and what he does in workouts. There's a wide variety of grades on him right now.

jkramsfan Guest

great job again Nick, if for some reason we can move up, say 5-6 spots in the draft,do you change that pick and do you think the Rams are on the same page and thinking LB #1

general counsel is offline Registered User

willis wont be there if we pick at #32. Lets go defense!

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Well, we won't be picking that late so no worries GC.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

unless I'm mistaken I didn't see him...how does no one pick Troy Smith in the 1st?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    unless I'm mistaken I didn't see him...how does no one pick Troy Smith in the 1st?
    Because I currently project him as a mid-second round prospect.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Because I currently project him as a mid-second round prospect.
    You're weird

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    You're weird
    Not really. Smith could work his way into the first round but I have him as the third best QB prospect at best in this draft. His height is going to make teams a bit fearful, though he has made good strides this season. A strong NC performance and good workout could propel him, but right now he's mid-second. I don't think I've seen a legit publication's projection with him in the first.

Is there any way we can pick up the first ten picks of the draft? We have an aging core on offensive and a medicore defense. We need the top 10 picks.