Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By TekeRam

Thread: Nick's Mid-Week Draft Ramblings (4/10)

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Mid-Week Draft Ramblings (4/10)

-Keenan Allen's pro day was yesterday, and the timed numbers were not particularly good. Still, some remain undiscouraged by the 4.71 times, claiming that Allen shows better speed on tape while also citing the fact that he still wasn't at 100%. If you're an individual who thinks Allen compares favorably to Anquan Boldin, then the time - almost exactly what Boldin ran at the Combine when he came out - likely doesn't scare you that much. But it's worth noting that Boldin didn't hear his name called in the Top 50 picks, either.

-As the draft nears, it's becoming more clear by the day that the cream of the receiver crop appears to be Cordarrelle Patterson and Tavon Austin, followed by a group of prospects who haven't been able to separate themselves very much. With Austin and Patterson off the board, I could see any of the following players being the third wide receiver selected: Keenan Allen, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter, Quinton Patton, or Robert Woods. All of them fall into that "late first round, early second round" group of guys that, because their grades begin to get closer than the prospects in the top half of the first round, become more interchangeable.

-Much (well, a little bit at least) has been made of the Rams not having any safeties in for a visit so far. Is that particularly abnormal? I don't know, as I don't have the visit lists from past years in front of me to compare to the actual list of prospects a team drafted, but I wouldn't get too worried about it just yet. This is a deep safety class with a lot of different options for a Rams team that has at least one if not two holes at the position. There are 8-10 safety prospects that I would be happy to see the Rams draft in the first three rounds, and it's entirely possible the Rams have already zeroed in on the handful they would consider. Talk to me on Saturday night of draft weekend if the Rams haven't addressed the position, and then you might see me start to worry.

-When it's all said and done, I think five offensive tackles (Fisher, Joeckel, Johnson, Fluker, and Watson) and two offensive guards (Warmack & Cooper) go in the first round. For a team like the Rams who have some long-term needs at both positions (at least in my opinion), this would be a great opportunity to draft one of these players and help shore up Bradford's protection and this team's ability to move bodies in the running game. But I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a small part of me that is afraid Jeff Fisher will pass on a talented offensive lineman because he feels this team can coach up lesser players.

-Some are mocking Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree to the Rams in the first round, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Off the field issues aside (because when it comes to Fisher, they typically are put to the side and aren't considered a dealbreaking factor), do the Rams really need to spend a first round pick at the linebacker position? They have a great middle linebacker in Laurinaitis and a capable starter in Dunbar. I'm very intrigued by some of these Day 2-3 prospects like Arthur Brown (who may sneak into the first), Khaseeem Greene, Sio Moore, Zavier Gooden, Sean Porter, Gerald Hodges, and Ty Powell. If the Rams feel like they need another 'backer who can spend 1,000 snaps or so on the field, they may be prompted to look towards the position earlier. But I wouldn't rule out some of these mid round guys as capable developmental starters either.

-The Rams could use some help at running back to bolster a committee consisting of Daryl Richardson and Isaiah Pead, but where do they find their third man? I don't think the Rams have much business addressing the position before Round Three; there is no first round caliber runner in this class (sorry, Eddie Lacy), and I don't believe the value of a runner in the second round will be so much better than other prospects that he'll have to be the pick. In the third round, I'd start looking for some potential help. Maybe a Johnathan Franklin or Montee Ball fits the bill there. Christine Michael could be in the Day Two conversation as well. On Day Three, I'm intrigued by Le'Veon Bell, Mike Gillislee, Stepfan Taylor, Knile Davis, and yes, probably even Marcus Lattimore. The Rams may be a nice landing spot for the South Carolina runner, as he won't be asked to carry the load any time soon, and may be able to be worked back in slowly as he recovers from a devastating knee injury. Still, I wouldn't blame the Rams for staying away with his medical issues.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's Mid-Week Draft Ramblings (4/10)

Nice post Nick.
    Nick likes this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Call me a believer, but I'll take a slow guy on a bad wheel who then shows that he has all the moves despite the still recovering straight line speed. If he can catch the ball in traffic then breakaway speed is not as needed... plus he's going to be faster once healed... just sayin.

Funny thing about those cream of the crop two... I would lay money down on saying that neither of them are the best receiver in the class when it's all said and done. That's not to say I'll be mad if we wind up with either, but Quinton Patton and Allen's possession receiving skills look pretty nice.

You think that that 5th OT squeaks in? I'm willing to bet against you on that one... unless Atlanta doesnt address the RT spot bfore the draft. The release of Clabo was strange, but I assume they have a plan. What other team from say... #24 down would have need for a round 1 OT?

I'm with you on the linebacker, 100%. If the coaches want a full time starter at LB, then by all means, we should grab early. With the interesting makeup of the NFC West, maybe we do play a bit more base 4-3 defense and need that 3rd quality guy. But for the 12 games not against Wilson and Kapernick, do we have more need for linebackers over a starting Safety? Based on how Dunbar played, I'd be looking for a Will, not a Sam, despite what Dunbar played last year.

I'm torn... really torn on Running Back. On one hand, it is a devalued position because kids can come into the league and tear it up as rookies. We haven't seen what Pead or Richardson can do without Jax leading the charge. That said... we don't have Jax leading the charge anymore. I don't think we should spend any of our first 3 picks on a RB, as we have too many holes elsewhere, but if Franklin or Bell(Thinking of you Av!) or another good back slips to us in the 3rd round, I'd be fine taking him where the worst case scenario is that we have two or three guys that an all do well. They're all under contract for years on the cheap. No problem.
    Richbert88 likes this.
    I believe!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Call me a believer, but I'll take a slow guy on a bad wheel who then shows that he has all the moves despite the still recovering straight line speed. If he can catch the ball in traffic then breakaway speed is not as needed... plus he's going to be faster once healed... just sayin.
    I don't disagree. It's just going to depend on how the Rams' medical staff view him and whether he fits what they feel their need is at the position. I still have him in the mix as being the possible third WR off the board.

Funny thing about those cream of the crop two... I would lay money down on saying that neither of them are the best receiver in the class when it's all said and done. That's not to say I'll be mad if we wind up with either, but Quinton Patton and Allen's possession receiving skills look pretty nice.
    Well, that's not exactly a dangerous bet when you're taking the field against two guys whom some could argue have concerns against them. Patterson may never get the mental part of the game down enough to make a big impact as a pro, and Austin could be limited because of his size. It's certainly possible another receiver in this class ends up with the better career; while this class is missing the superstar prospect at the top, there are lot of guys to like in the first through third rounds.

You think that that 5th OT squeaks in? I'm willing to bet against you on that one... unless Atlanta doesnt address the RT spot bfore the draft. The release of Clabo was strange, but I assume they have a plan. What other team from say... #24 down would have need for a round 1 OT?
    I feel like I could make a solid case for the following teams considering a first round offensive tackle: Kansas City, Philadelphia, Detroit, Arizona, Buffalo, San Diego, Miami, New Orleans, St. Louis, New York Giants, Chicago, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Green Bay, Houston, and Baltimore.

It's possible and some would argue probably at this point that the top three offensive tackles go in the first seven picks. So that leaves a dozen teams left with a potential need at the position and only one other obvious first round tackle in Fluker. I would not be surprised to see Watson sneak in on potential.