Height: 6'5"
    Weight: 260 lbs
    40-Time (approx): 4.7 sec.
    School: Clemson
    Class: Senior
    Projected Round (as of post time): 1st
    Full Bio: Here

Why You Should Like Him
    • Named to four pre-season national award watch lists: Lombardi Award (top lineman offense or defense), Bronko Nagurski Award (top defensive player), Chuck Bednarik Award (top defensive award), and the Ted Hendricks Award (top defensive end)
    • Honorable mention All-ACC team in 2005 with 56 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks, 29 QB pressures
    • Achieved 11.5 tackles for loss, 7 sacks, and 16 QB pressures in final six games of the season
    • Is a strong special teams contributor with two blocked punts in 2004
    • Three forced fumbles in 2005
    • Nine pass break-ups led the team in 2005 and set school record for most pass deflections by a lineman
    • Missed only one game in three years, veteran of 35 games
    • 38" vertical leap

Why I Like Him
    • Great size and could even add some weight to stand up better against the run
    • Has outstanding athleticism as evident by both his 40-time and his amazing vertical jump
    • Great pass-rusher and sack artist who is explosive off of the edge and can shed blocks to get to the quarterback
    • Could play end in a 4-3 scheme or linebacker in a 3-4; potential to be used like Leonard Little in that he can stand up and move around pre-snap to change our defensive look
    • Always gives 100% and shows great intensity on the field
    • Makes plays all over the field and is great in pursuit, which again is reminiscent of Little
    • Due to long arms, height, and athletic ability, Adams can make plays in the passing game without getting to the QB, as evident by his deflection numbers

Why He Makes Sense For the Rams
    • Both Leonard Little and Anthony Hargrove are in contract years
    • Little turns 32 this year and maye only have 2-3 more seasons in the tank
    • Hargrove has yet to show he's a consistent player on the right side of the line
    • The Rams front four has not consistently been able to pressure opposing quarterbacks
    • Outside of Leonard Little, no Rams defensive lineman has produced more than one sack
    • A good pass rush forces mistakes from opposing QBs and greatly helps players in the secondary

chiguy is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's Players to Watch: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson

I wanted a pass rusher last year, so count me in on any bandwagon that involves getting one this year. Its even more obvious that we need one this year.

In fact, I'd prefer that we not draft the interior lineman we need and try to get one in free agency (if possible) and focus on our defensive line and secondary in the draft.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's Players to Watch: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson

He looks good to me