Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Post-Combine Mid-March Two Round NFL Mock Draft

It's late so I might have to go back and edit a pick or two, but I was determined to get this finished tonight, as I've wanted to do a post-combine mock since, well, the combine ended. Enjoy!!

ROUND ONE

1. Detroit Lions: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
    -There’s a lot of speculation that the Lions could go with an offensive tackle with this pick, and I certainly think that direction has some merit. But if Detroit goes with a tackle here, they’ll have to cross their fingers that a guy like Josh Freeman is available with their 20th overall pick in order to address the QB position. I think they may be better off going Stafford here and then best OL on the board later on.

2. St. Louis Rams: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
    -While the Rams technically don’t have to go offensive tackle here, I really think taking a lineman is in their best interest. The only question is which one? I think it’s kind of a coin toss between Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe here; it just depends on what you’re looking for. Since Monroe is the more polished of the two and, in my opinion, will be better able to come in and contribute immediately, I’m giving him the nod.

3. Kansas City Chiefs: Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
    -The Chiefs were a hot spot when it came to a quarterback, especially if Matthew Stafford slipped by Detroit. But that all changed when Kansas City orchestrated a trade for Patriots signal caller Matt Cassel. How Cassel performs outside of the quality circumstances in New England remains to be seen, but his acquisition allows Kansas City to address their defense by selecting Curry, arguably the best player in the draft.

4. Seattle Seahawks: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
    -Baylor’s Jason Smith has had a phenomenal offseason and is a candidate to go first overall to Detroit as well as second overall to St. Louis. If he somehow manages to remain on the board when the Seahawks pick, I don’t think there will be much discussion in the Seattle draft room. While the Seahawks might be tempted to continue adding weapons to their offense by selecting Michael Crabtree, adding Smith as Walter Jones’s replacement is a wise move.

5. Cleveland Browns: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
    -I’m torn with Cleveland’s pick, as I see them possibly going a number of ways. A pass rusher makes a lot of sense, as does B.J. Raji if nose tackle Shaun Rogers doesn’t come back. But there is word floating around that Cleveland has been entertaining offers for Braylon Edwards. Combine that with Donte Stallworth’s recent off-the-field issues, and the Browns may want to grab Crabtree here, giving them flexibility to move either Stallworth or Edwards if they’re inclined.

6. Cincinnati Bengals: B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
    -Marvin Lewis and the Cincinnati coaching staff had the opportunity to see Raji up close at the Senior Bowl, and Raji made the most of his opportunity by tearing things up. He was virtually unstoppable in the trenches throughout the week, and this wouldn’t be the first time a coaching staff selected a player they coached in that event. The Bengals may have bigger needs on the offensive line, but I think Raji is the pick here.

7. Oakland Raiders: Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
    -With the signing of Khalif Barnes, the Raiders at least have some bodies they can plug in at the tackle position. Thus, I don’t see them going Oher or Smith here. While Oakland ranked in the middle of the pack last year in sacks, they did not have a single player amass more than five individually. The Raiders could look for an offensive weapon like Jeremy Maclin, but I think a top-notch pass rusher will be too good to pass on.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
    -The Jacksonville Jaguars are desperate for help at wide receiver. This was a need even before Jacksonville parted ways with Matt Jones, Reggie Williams, and Jerry Porter, but that need is amplified in their absence. It would have been ideal had Michael Crabtree slipped to this spot, and on draft day that certainly is possible. But as the board stands now, I think they go for Maclin and begin devising interesting ways to use him in their offense.

9. Green Bay Packers: Everette Brown, DE/OLB, Florida State
    -Green Bay will be transitioning to the 3-4 defensive scheme under defensive coordinator Dom Capers, but they’ll need to find some more pieces in order to run it efficiently. Aaron Kampman is going to attempt to transition to outside linebacker, but the Packers don’t really have another established player opposite him. Brown is considered one of the top pass rushers in this draft, and would be a nice cog in the new Packer defensive system.

10. San Francisco *****: Malcolm Jenkins, DB, Ohio State
    -There are a number of ways the ***** could go here. Offensive tackle is a consideration, but I have a hard time selecting a right tackle with this high of a pick. San Francisco would have liked to see Everette Brown drop to them, as they need pass rush help. But with free safety Mark Roman on the trade block and cornerback Walt Harris about to turn 35 years old, the ***** could use some youth in the backfield. The versatile Malcolm Jenkins could be a nice fit.

11. Buffalo Bills: Andre Smith, OL, Alabama
    -One of the toughest picks in this draft to project is the Buffalo Bills’ pick. They’ve now missed out on the top pass rushers, and it might be a little high for someone like Brandon Pettigrew. Outside linebacker is a consideration, but I’m going to give the Bills arguably the draft’s most talented lineman in Andre Smith. He can fill in immediately at left guard, and provide insurance for Buffalo in the event that they cannot resign left tackle Jason Peters.

12. Denver Broncos: Tyson Jackson, DL, LSU
    -Like a few other teams, Denver plans on making the transition to the 3-4 scheme this season. The problem they don’t really have many defensive lineman for the scheme, so it’ll be important to add some through the draft. Tyson Jackson has the ability to play defensive tackle in the 4-3 but also the five technique in the 3-4, which makes him a very intriguing prospect here for the Broncos. Keep an eye out on a QB here if Jay Cutler gets moved.

13. Washington Redskins: Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi
    -The Redskins don’t want to spend another season counting on aging veteran Jon Jansen, but back-up Stephon Heyer hasn’t been able to secure that job just yet. Needless to say, the Redskins won’t take much time taking Michael Oher’s name to the podium. They can plug him in on the right side immediately but also consider him at left tackle once Chris Samuels decides to hang up his boots. Don’t rule out a quarterback here if the Redskins have soured on Jason Campbell, though.

14. New Orleans Saints: Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State
    -I know what you’re thinking. “Nick, are you an idiot? The Saints need help on defense!” Well, I heard this pick on a draft podcast a few weeks ago, and I really was intrigued by it. There’s a school of thought that teams should find ways of making sure their strengths stay strong. Adding a weapon like Wells would certainly help New Orleans’ offense remain potent, as he’d be a nice compliment to Reggie Bush in the running game.

15. Houston Texans: Brian Cushing, LB, USC
    -The Texans upgraded their defensive line in free agency, but I think they’d be open to adding some more front seven help through the draft. It’s hard for me to believe that Houston is truly satisfied with Zac Diles and Xavier Adibi as their starting outside linebackers. Brian Cushing is a guy who has been on the rise this draft offseason, and he gives the Texans a versatile talent that they can line up next to Demeco Ryans.

16. San Diego Chargers: Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC
    -Chargers fans might be getting sick of this pick, and there’s been talk that Rey Maualuga may be slipping a bit after a less than stellar offseason. But even after San Diego added Kevin Burnett to their linebacking corps, I still think this pick just makes too much sense. A standout talent at USC, Maualuga will fit nicely in the Chargers’ 3-4 defensive scheme and give them another outstanding player in their front seven.

17. New York Jets: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
    -Third Southern Cal player in a row! Despite the talk coming out of New York, I doubt they’re pleased going into the season with just Kellen Clemons and Brett Ratliff, especially since they reportedly reached out to Denver about Jay Cutler. New head coach Rex Ryan just came from a team that had a nice playoff run despite starting a rookie quarterback, so I think the Jets will be very intrigued by Sanchez should he slip to them here.

18. Chicago Bears: Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
    -Chicago would have loved to see Mark Sanchez slip by the Jets, but it wasn’t meant to be. They’ll think about turning to the tackle position, where they have a gaping hole at right tackle. But they just drafted Chris Williams in the first round last year, and may not be inclined to go back to the well so soon. Instead, I think they’ll consider a talent like Darrius Heyward-Bey, who could really help a rather depleted receiving corps.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State
    -Rumblings across the Internet suggest that Kansas State quarterback Josh Freeman is rising up draft boards, and it’s not hard to understand why. Physically speaking, Freeman has everything you want in a franchise passer. Whether he puts it all together and reaches that status is another matter. New Bucs head coach Raheem Morris spent 2006 as Kansas State’s defensive coordinator, so it wouldn’t be surprising if he took a prospect he likely has some level of familiarity with.

20. Detroit Lions (f/DAL): Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi
    -I’m very tempted to have the Lions come back in the first round and take an offensive tackle, but it just feels a little high for either William Beatty or Eben Britton here. The Lions traded defensive lineman Cory Redding to the Seattle Seahawks in order to acquire Julian Peterson, so there’s a hole on the Lions defensive line. That hole could easily be filled by Mississippi’s Jerry, who would have been the talk of the Senior Bowl were it not for B.J. Raji’s performance.

21. Philadelphia Eagles: Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
    -Donovan McNabb has made it clear that he wants more weapons in Philadelphia. The temptation is to add a receiver, but there seems to be some solid young talent in that group already. A running back makes sense, as does an offensive tackle to replace Tra Thomas. But the Eagles also lost starting tight end L.J. Smith this offseason, so finding a replacement could be a priority. Despite relatively high forty times, Pettigrew remains the best of the crop.

22. Minnesota Vikings: Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
    -A tackle like Eben Britton is a consideration, because the Vikings have a huge hole at right tackle that they need to fill. The departure of Matt Birk means center has to be addressed, but it may be too early for Mack or Unger here. Ultimately though it isn’t the biggest need, I think Vontae Davis’ value is just too good to pass up. He’ll immediately contribute as a nickel back while being groomed to eventually replace soon to be 32-year-old Antoine Winfield.

23. New England Patriots: Clint Sintim, OLB, Virginia
    -Even before the Patriots traded Mike Vrabel to Kansas City, they had a large need at the outside linebacker position. Now that Vrabel is gone, the need is even larger. Sintim is one of the few prospects who actually played in a 3-4 in college, so his transition to that scheme at the pro level should be minimal. Additionally, he hails from the University of Virginia, where head coach Al Groh has ties to Belichick/Parcells coaching tree.

24. Atlanta Falcons: Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
    -The Falcons got amazing production from John Abraham in 2008, as the former Gamecock accounted for nearly half of Atlanta’s 34 sacks on the season. No other defensive lineman accumulated more than four, and former first round pick Jamaal Anderson has largely been a disappointment so far. While Johnson may not rank for some as the 24th best player in this class, most agree his physical talent is among the best this class has to offer.

25. Miami Dolphins: Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
    -It might be a bit early for Brace based on where some other mocks have him, but I think he’s an ideal fit here for the Miami Dolphins as their nose tackle of the future. Current starting nose tackle Jason Ferguson turned 34 in November and probably does not have much left in the tank. There really isn’t anything behind him to speak of, and there’s a case to be made that Brace might be the draft’s best true nose guard.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB, Penn State
    -Adding a threat at wide receiver or cornerback was a consideration, especially with Kenny Britt and Alphonso Smith still on the board. But Aaron Maybin is a player with immense talent who could find himself going in the top fifteen picks. If the Ravens have a shot to take him here, they may find it hard to pass up. Maybin The Penn State product will boost Baltimore’s pass rush potential while giving them insurance in case franchise player Terrell Suggs can’t be signed long term.

27. Indianapolis Colts: Evander Hood, DT, Missouri
    -The Colts would have loved to see Peria Jerry slip to them here, but Detroit pulled a bit of a shocker and took him with the 20th overall pick. Indianapolis could still use an upgrade to their defensive line, considering their two starting defensive tackles right now appear to be Eric Foster and Keyunta Dawson (who!?). Evander Hood is riding a tremendous offseason wave and should be a factor in the late first round.

28. Philadelphia Eagles (f/CAR): Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
    -There’s speculation that the Eagles may like UConn running back Donald Brown, but I have Moreno ranked higher and I think he brings a lot of the same qualities as a prospect as Brian Westbrook does as a player. Like Westbrook, Moreno has excellent vision and agility when it comes to finding a lane to run through. Furthermore, Moreno is a quality target coming out of the backfield and should be productive catching the halfback screens the Eagles are known for.

29. New York Giants: Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers
    -What’s the latest on the Plaxico Burress situation? Who even knows. The Giants say they’ll welcome him back if he avoids jail time, but they’ve been linked to trade talks regarding Braylon Edwards so they obviously feel they need help and perhaps an insurance policy at this position. Britt has legitimate size for the next level and offers a lot of potential after the catch. The Giants could elect to look for defensive help here if Plax’s situation improves.

30. Tennessee Titans: Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
    -Wide receiver was a big offseason need for Tennessee, but they probably don’t have to spend a first round pick at the position anymore after signing Nate Washington from the Steelers. Their next area of need is the secondary, where depth behind starters Cortland Finnegan and Nick Harper is slim. Smith is undersized but plays with great instincts and toughness. He also is dangerous with the ball in his hands and could help on special teams.

31. Arizona Cardinals: Larry English, DE/OLB, Northern Illinois
    -The Cardinals will be very tempted to take a running back here, but they haven’t yet released Edgerrin James, which means they could delay addressing the position. Though Arizona’s defense was a big reason they reached the Super Bowl last year, their pass rush was inconsistent during the season and no defender finished the year with more than five sacks. English has potential as a 3-4 outside linebacker, and could help them in that regard.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers: Eben Britton, OT, Arizona
    -If the Steelers want to continue their successes of 2008, they’ll need to find improvements on their offensive line. While Pittsburgh was able to retain a number of their offensive line free agents, they elected to cut right guard Kendall Simmons. By drafting Britton, Pittsburgh gets a player who can step in immediately at right tackle, which pushes Willie Colon inside to guard, thus securing two positions with one move.

ROUND TWO

33. Detroit Lions: William Beatty, OT, UConn
    -After passing on a tackle with their first two picks, the Lions can’t put their offensive line off any longer.

34. New England Patriots (f/KC): D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt
    -Moore provides the Patriots with a good combination of value and need, adding youth to their secondary.

35. St. Louis Rams: James Laurinaitis, MLB, Ohio State
    -The Rams want to shift Will Witherspoon outside, meaning they’ll have a big hole at MLB to fill.

36. Cleveland Browns: Clay Matthews, OLB, USC
    -A great pick for the Browns, who passed on a linebacker earlier only to find Matthews, who has family history with the club.

37. Seattle Seahawks: Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina
    -Seattle is rewarded for passing on Crabtree in the first as they find Nicks here in the second.

38. Cincinnati Bengals: Alex Mack, C, California
    -Mack could easily go fifteen picks higher than this, so the Bengals will be very pleased to find him available here.

39. Jacksonville Jaguars: Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut
    -The addition of Butler would allow the Jags to move Brian Williams back to safety, where he belongs.

40. Oakland Raiders: Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
    -Some consider Harvin the third best receiver in this class. His addition will give Oakland a new dimension on offense.

41. Green Bay Packers: Sean Smith, DB, Utah
    -Too good of value to pass up here; Smith offers depth at both corner and safety and will eventually start at one of those spots.

42. Buffalo Bills: Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
    -The Bills failed to find a pass rusher with their first round pick; nabbing Ayers alleviates that need.

43. San Francisco *****: Connor Barwin, OLB, Cincinnati
    -After missing out on a pass rusher in the first round, the ***** return in round two to find one of the draft’s more intriguing stories.

44. Miami Dolphins (f/WAS): Brian Robiskie, WR, Ohio State
    -Robiskie reunites with fellow Buckeye Ted Ginn in Miami, giving the Dolphins a much needed boost at receiver.

45.New York Giants (f/NO): LeSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburgh
    -McCoy in the mid second round is great value, and he replaces Derrick Ward as the change of pace compliment to Brandon Jacobs.

46. Houston Texans: Louis Delmas, S, Western Michigan
    -Delmas is a steal at this point, since some consider him to be a contender for a late round pick.

47. New England Patriots (f/SD): Donald Brown, RB, Connecticut
    -With three second round picks, the Patriots can afford a luxury pick in Brown, who improves an unreliable backfield.

48. Denver Broncos: Jairus Byrd, CB, Oregon
    -Denver has nothing to speak of behind Bailey and Goodman; Byrd is the best corner on the board.

49. Chicago Bears: Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma
    -The hole at right tackle is finally filled as Chicago drafts the massive Loadholt in the second round.

50. Cleveland Browns (f/TB): Patrick Chung, S, Oregon
    -Former starter Sean Jones was allowed to leave in free agency, creating a hole in the secondary.

51. Dallas Cowboys: William Moore, S, Missouri
    -Receiver may be a bigger need, but the value isn’t great here. Moore has a lot of potential.

52. New York Jets: Jarron Gilbert, DL, San Jose State
    -Shaun Ellis might be slowing down, so youth on the defensive line could be addressed.

53. Philadelphia Eagles: Max Unger, OL, Oregon
    -Unger’s versatility could allow the Eagles to do some shifting on their offensive line to account for players lost in free agency.

54. Minnesota Vikings: Eric Wood, C, Louisville
    -After losing Matt Birk in free agency, the Vikings are in need of someone to man the middle of their line.

55. Atlanta Falcons: Jared Cook, TE, South Carolina
    -The Falcons just missed Pettigrew in the first, but find a capable tight end in Cook in the second.

56. Miami Dolphins: Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma
    -Justin Smiley can’t seem to stay healthy, and right guard Donald Thomas could use some competition.

57. Baltimore Ravens: Louis Murphy, WR, Florida
    -Baltimore may have their eye on Murphy, who could be the deep threat that the Ravens are looking for.

58. New England Patriots: James Casey, TE, Rice
    -The Patriots will likely find a way to get the most out of Casey’s versatility, be it at tight end, fullback, or H-back.

59. Carolina Panthers: Paul Kruger, DE, Utah
    -Carolina could use another defensive end, even if Julius Peppers ends up staying on the team.

60. New York Giants: Darry Beckwith, LB, LSU
    -Beckwith’s versatility could allow him to compete on the strong side or prepare to be Antonio Pierce’s eventual replacement.

61. Indianapolis Colts: Mike Thomas, WR, Arizona
    -Thomas is a small, elusive receiver who should excel in the slot in Indianapolis’ indoor offense.

62. Tennessee Titans: Marcus Freeman, LB, Ohio State
    -Freeman offers some versatility at linebacker, but could primarily be groomed as Keith Bulluck’s replacement.

63. Arizona Cardinals: Andre Brown, RB, NC State
    -Holding out for a runner allows the Cardinals to take Brown, who was arguably the Senior Bowl’s most impressive runner.

64. Pittsburgh Steelers: Pat White, QB/WR, West Virginia
    -White could compete with Dennis Dixon at QB while also reestablishing a Randle-El type of presence at receiver.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's Post-Combine Mid-March Two Round NFL Mock Draft

Nice work nick some interesting picks
    I'll be a happy man if the rams picks are Eugene Monroe and James Laurinaitis,

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

As always, Nick, you've produced one of the most unbiased and logical mocks on the Net. Here's what jumped out to me.....

1. Was there any doubt that Pat White was gonna be a Steeler?

2. Ayers, Nicks and Harvin falling out of the 1st? Uhh, I don't know.

3. Some would give you heat for Brace at 25, but the 3-4 can live and die by the NT, so that's a bold pick, IMO.

4. Of course Clay Matthews is a Brown! That's just good karma!

As for the Rams.........who could not feel good about Monroe and Laurinaitis after 35 picks?
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-25-2009 at 09:44 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I like the Rams picks that would make my viewing of the draft a day later very enjoyable.

I do see Tennessee going WR though. I have always thought that it really wasn't all Vince Young's fault for having such a slow start (he did take them to the playoffs his rookie year though). I think it was too much to ask of any infant QB to be successful when your weapons are the equivalent of a BB gun. That team needs weapons on offense as was established during the Ravens playoff game.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-25-2009 at 10:02 AM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I like the Rams picks.

Not sure I buy Harvin dropping out of the first round.

Based upon your choices, I'm guessing you see a Jason Peters to the Eagles trade in the future.

Nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by Nibiru2012 View Post
    2 things that stood out that I liked.

1. Ron Brace in the late 1st round- that's where I believe he'll go, I've seen in some mocks people thinking he'll be there in the 2nd or even the top of the 3rd, ya right.

2. Paul Kruger going in the 2nd. this guy has talent and I picked him as one of my sleepers.

Overall nice mock.
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

The more I think about Brace, the more I like his fit with the Dolphins. They could really use a nose tackle to groom behind Ferguson, and if you don't get Raji or Brace, you're kind of rolling the dice later in this draft. Parcells and company should be able to find help at other positions later on.

Quote Originally Posted by ramstiles View Post
    Nice work nick some interesting picks
    I'll be a happy man if the rams picks are Eugene Monroe and James Laurinaitis,
    Thanks for the feedback, I would also be happy to see things work out that way as well!

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    As always, Nick, you've produced one of the most unbiased and logical mocks on the Net. Here's what jumped out to me.....

1. Was there any doubt that Pat White was gonna be a Steeler?

2. Ayers, Nicks and Harvin falling out of the 1st? Uhh, I don't know.

3. Some would give you heat for Brace at 25, but the 3-4 can live and die by the NT, so that's a bold pick, IMO.

4. Of course Clay Matthews is a Brown! That's just good karma!

As for the Rams.........who could not feel good about Monroe and Laurinaitis after 35 picks?
    Thanks, HUb! To answer your points...

1) It actually hadn't occurred to me until that pick rolled around, and then when I saw what was available combined with White still being on the board, it just made a lot of sense in my mind.

2) I know, I know. Ask me about them individually, and I'd say they're all in the first. But when the projection rolled around, I just couldn't make it happen. Honestly I could probably see myself swapping Michael Johnson and Ayers, but Nicks I think is borderline and I have a feeling Harvin's durability and possibly lack of a true position might cause him to slip.

3. Brace @ 25 might not be the best value, but it's just so tough for 3-4 teams to address that position. I think if the Dolphins are comfortable with Brace as a prospect, they'll be willing to reach a bit. If he'd slipped by them there, I doubt he would have made it to their next pick.

4. Yeah, Matthews as a Brown really worked out well, and was completely unintentional. It just fell that way as I was doing the mock, and it made me feel a bit better for having the Browns go outside the box a bit with Crabtree in the first.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I like the Rams picks that would make my viewing of the draft a day later very enjoyable.

I do see Tennessee going WR though. I have always thought that it really wasn't all Vince Young's fault for having such a slow start (he did take them to the playoffs his rookie year though). I think it was too much to ask of any infant QB to be successful when your weapons are the equivalent of a BB gun. That team needs weapons on offense as was established during the Ravens playoff game.
    Glad you like the picks, tx!! I agree about the Titans and a receiver, but they signed Nate Washington in the offseason, and the contract seems to suggest they signed him to start opposite of Justin Gage. Harvin was a consideration, and Britt would have been had the Giants not taken him a pick before Tennessee, but there's really no depth at cornerback for the Titans and I like Alphonso Smith despite his size.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I like the Rams picks.

Not sure I buy Harvin dropping out of the first round.

Based upon your choices, I'm guessing you see a Jason Peters to the Eagles trade in the future.

Nice job!
    Thanks Av!

Harvin dropping was interesting, but I think it's possible based on concerns about him. Ultimately as I got to teams thinking about receiver, I just kept asking myself whom I would rather have, and Harvin lost a lot of those head to head match-ups.

I really hadn't thought about Peters to Philadelphia, but that's certainly a possibility. It pained me not to have them take an OT in the first round, because I know that's a big need for them. But ultimately value won out, and I couldn't argue Beatty as the better value over Pettigrew and Moreno in those two spots. I've heard that the Eagles could possibly move Shawn Andrews or Todd Herremans to left tackle if they had to, and Unger's versatility on the line could allow them to do that.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Nick, sell me on Eugene Monroe. I'm not completely sold on him yet, on Jason Smith I am, but not Monroe.

As for James L, that's a fine pick. He's one tough SOB and could flourish under Spagnuolo's scheme of things.
    RamsFan16

jbell15 is offline Registered User

Good job overall, very unbiased and probably realistic.
    the only one i have a big problem with is the *****.
    There is no way they pass on Sanchez, Oher, or Andre in the first.
    Jenkins is a superb talent, and i believe he will be a pro bowler in short order.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

nick,
    you really are up there with the Scott Wright and Mel Kipers of the draft world.

im the other way round than Ramsfan16...

i think Jason "Lady legs" Smith will struggle against the bull rush so am happy we dont get him in your mock..i just dont think anyone who looks like they would look good in stiletto`s should be our starting OT but thats just me..

i use to be high on Jason Smith..say a couple of months ago..as i thought in two years he could very well become the best LT out of all the prospects coming out,is just he seems too much of a risky pick for 2nd overall. and glad you agree to a degree, i mean you dont want him at 2 over monroe like me but perhaps his legs arent your reasoning!
    i really want Curry in the first but im fine with the combo of the first two picks youve got us down for.
    overall those two are probably the best combo...in an ideal world id like Curry in the first and Beatty in the second but its looking less likely with each passing that Beatty day will be there in the second...it would sting a little to be able to draft Nicks in the second like you have him in this mock,only to pass on him but we do need a starting calibre MLB in JL more than we need a WR imho and their value as early 2nd round picks are both great!

im still hoping we could pick up a free agent wideout to play with the "teen squad" D.J. Hackett sticks out due to his years in a WCO..but hopefully other will become available when teams start their next wave of cuts aswell.

i have a few questions id like to ask you about some prospects outside of the 2 round mock youve done but will do that on another thread,not to derail the thread.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I can imagine how mad Saints fans would be if they drafted Beanie Wells with their terrible defense and already having 2 good backs. Vontae Davis seems to make more sense for them.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Nick, as usual you're the resident mock expert around here. Really nice mock. Couple of things that jumped out at me:

1. Percy Harvin. A couple people mentioned it above me, but do you really think he'll far that far? Last season there wasn't a WR in the 1st round, but that was an anomaly. I think this years class grades a lot higher than '08 at this point. I find it hard to believe that teams like Baltimore or Indianapolis would pass on him there.

2. Some teams with some particularily good drafts (IMO):

The Lions: Pick up a franchise QB, a solid DT to replace Corey Redding and hold down their DL and a OT who will probably be able to come in and start, allowing them to move Jeff Backus to guard and solidifying the left side of their OL.

The Patriots: Talk about the rich getting richer. I like the Sintim pick there, that seems to be a popular one. He would fit their scheme perfectly and I don't think the Mayo pick last year will hold them back from picking another LB. I could even see them taking another MLB with one of their second round picks. I don't think they'll go CB with one of their second rounders because they have a decent looking CB corps with Ellis Hobbs and picking up Leigh Bodden and Shawn Springs. I like the Brown pick there too, Maroney hasn't really lived up to his 1st round selection and their veteran rotation could use some speed and youth.

The Rams: This would be my ideal scenario for the 1st day, a combination of an OT and a MLB. I think Laurainitis would fit well in Spags scheme, sort of an Antonio Pierce-type player.

3. I think the Falcons will look to pick up an OLB in one of the 1st 2 rounds, they lost both of their starters to FA this offseason. Maybe a Clay Matthews or Aaron Maybin at that spot?

4. There's a common trend that has Clay Matthews moving up boards and Brian Cushing sliding down a little bit (better athlete than football player, etc.). Who do you think will be the better pro?

Anyway, just some food for thought. I want to hear what you think. Overall, awesome mock. Nice work.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Hey Nick

Who would you have the Rams taking the rest of the draft and why?

Keep up the good work!

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I like the 2 rams pick!

But i dont like the Aaron Maybin to the Ravens pick. you have the bills taking Andre Smith. I stated that the best pass rushers are off the board. However i think Maybin is a great pass rusher. He has good quickness off the edge and he measured in at 250 pounds in his pro day opposed to the 236 pounds people thought he would be before the combine. You also said that maybin could go in the top 15. So why wouldn't the Bills take Maybin?

Also i am intruiged by the Pat White to the Steelers. However dont you think the steelers can wait and get him later? or has Pat White really been jumping up boards?

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Nick, sell me on Eugene Monroe. I'm not completely sold on him yet, on Jason Smith I am, but not Monroe.
    Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully I can sell you on Monroe, we'll see...

Did the combine put you over the top for Smith? I feel as if a lot of people saw Smith's 33 reps on the bench and instantly elevated him over Monroe. Really they both have very good combines, but some of Smith's tests concerned me a bit.

His broad and vertical jump were not great and suggested lower body strength may be an issue. I believe NFLN's comments regarding his pro day said something similar about him getting pushed back a bit and not having good lower body strength. To me, that's vital for an offensive lineman in terms of the leverage game. Monroe tested well in this regard at the combine.

Smith is the better athlete of the two but is more of a risk as he hasn't spent as much time playing the position and comes from a system where he primarily operated out of the two-point stance. Monroe has been starting at left tackle for Virginia since he was a sophomore, and is the main reason former Top 15 pick Brandon Albert had to play inside at guard rather than at tackle. In over 1200 offensive plays, Monroe has allowed only two sacks (Smith has allowed 4.5 sacks in 1100+ plays). His technique is outstanding, and I think he's a better pass and run blocker than Smith is right now.

The thing about Smith is upside. Monroe doesn't have as much room to grow as Smith does, because again, Smith is still refining his technique and gaining experience at the position. Smith is the more aggressive player, and people fell in love with his combine quote about how he likes to physically assault his opponents on the field. They are both very, very good prospects.

Both of them seem to be great character players and have great work ethics. But I see less of a risk in Monroe as well as a guy who is better prepared to contribute from Day One. I feel Monroe demonstrates better technique, has better slide and mirror skills, and is simply more polished. I love the fact that he has the largest hands of any offensive tackle, because I imagine once he gets those hands on his man, they're locked out of the backfield.

It really just depends on what you're looking for. Neither of these guys are going to embarrass their teams, but it just comes down to whether or not you want a guy who is ready to contribute now but may not have huge upside, or if you want a guy who might have a few more lapses than his colleagues but still has a lot of room to develop and grow. I think both of these guys are capable of being very efficient left tackles at the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by jbell15 View Post
    Good job overall, very unbiased and probably realistic.
    the only one i have a big problem with is the *****.
    There is no way they pass on Sanchez, Oher, or Andre in the first.
    Jenkins is a superb talent, and i believe he will be a pro bowler in short order.
    Thanks, jbell! Offensive tackle was a consideration for the Whiners, but I simply had a hard time using a top ten pick on what would be a right tackle for them. I'm also not as high on them taking a first round QB as some other people are. I'm not sure I see Singletary go in that direction when he could use the pick elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    i really want Curry in the first but im fine with the combo of the first two picks youve got us down for.
    overall those two are probably the best combo...in an ideal world id like Curry in the first and Beatty in the second but its looking less likely with each passing that Beatty day will be there in the second...it would sting a little to be able to draft Nicks in the second like you have him in this mock,only to pass on him but we do need a starting calibre MLB in JL more than we need a WR imho and their value as early 2nd round picks are both great!
    I agree, it would be great if we could grab Curry and secure a guy like Beatty in the second. But I just have a hard time seeing him last to our second round pick, given how much teams value offensive tackles right now. Of course now that I say that, watch - he'll last to our pick and we'll pass on him!

I do like the idea of grabbing a WR in the second round, as I think there will be some talented guys available there. But ultimately the better value in my opinion at that spot was Laurinaitis, especially with our need at MLB.

If I'd kept this mock going into the third round, I likely would have had the Rams come back and take a receiver at the top of the round.

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    I can imagine how mad Saints fans would be if they drafted Beanie Wells with their terrible defense and already having 2 good backs. Vontae Davis seems to make more sense for them.
    It's interesting; I willingly admit that I lifted that pick from another mock draft because I was so intrigued by it and actually thought it made some sense, even though the Saints have so many other needs on the defensive side of the ball. I recognize that it's kind of an out of the box pick, because the Saints' offense really doesn't need much help. But lo and behold, Mike Triplett of the New Orleans Times-Picayune posted an article today where he said, "The more I hear Saints Coach Sean Payton talk about the team's needs, the more I start to feel like Ohio State tailback Chris "Beanie" Wells has a chance to land in New Orleans with the No. 14 pick in the draft." Apparently Payton ranks a power running back as the team's #2 need, tied with OLB and behind safety. So maybe there's a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    1. Percy Harvin. A couple people mentioned it above me, but do you really think he'll far that far? Last season there wasn't a WR in the 1st round, but that was an anomaly. I think this years class grades a lot higher than '08 at this point. I find it hard to believe that teams like Baltimore or Indianapolis would pass on him there.
    If teams are concerned about his durability and lack of a true position, he could. I do like him as a slot receiver in Indianapolis though, but will the Colts spend a first round pick on a third WR? I dunno. I suspect the Ravens want a receiver with a bit more size.

3. I think the Falcons will look to pick up an OLB in one of the 1st 2 rounds, they lost both of their starters to FA this offseason. Maybe a Clay Matthews or Aaron Maybin at that spot?
    OLB got a lot of consideration at that spot when I was making that pick. Ultimately I went with Johnson simply because of his physical skills and upside if he puts it all together.

4. There's a common trend that has Clay Matthews moving up boards and Brian Cushing sliding down a little bit (better athlete than football player, etc.). Who do you think will be the better pro?
    I like Matthews a bit more personally, but if they both get in the right situation, they should both be quality players. One of the things I really liked about Matthews coming out of the combine though was his 10-yard split. He ran a 1.49 10-yard time, which is just very fast. You have to think as a pass rushing OLB, that short area speed will be a benefit to him. I think he still has a lot of potential ahead of him, and he comes from a great football family.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    Hey Nick

Who would you have the Rams taking the rest of the draft and why?

Keep up the good work!
    I haven't mapped out the remaining picks for the Rams, but I have my eye on Juaquin Iglesias in the third round, and then probably a defensive lineman or corner in the fourth.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    I like the 2 rams pick!

But i dont like the Aaron Maybin to the Ravens pick. you have the bills taking Andre Smith. I stated that the best pass rushers are off the board. However i think Maybin is a great pass rusher. He has good quickness off the edge and he measured in at 250 pounds in his pro day opposed to the 236 pounds people thought he would be before the combine. You also said that maybin could go in the top 15. So why wouldn't the Bills take Maybin?

Also i am intruiged by the Pat White to the Steelers. However dont you think the steelers can wait and get him later? or has Pat White really been jumping up boards?
    I think Andre Smith is a much better prospect than Maybin, and I didn't want to have the Bills reach for a lesser prospect when they could help shore up their offensive line with that selection. Plus, I question whether Maybin is an every-down defensive end at the NFL level.

As for Pat White, he's had a solid offseason and IMO has secured himself a spot in the second or third round. I suspect if the Steelers pass on him there, they won't find him available at the bottom of the third. He's proven he has legitimate skill as a quarterback, as well as the athletic ability to spend time at receiver.

iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post

As for James L, that's a fine pick. He's one tough SOB and could flourish under Spagnuolo's scheme of things.
    Jason Smith is so much riskier, he played in a shotgun spread offense with an extremely mobile QB and wider offensive line splits so how could you ever use tape to evaluate his pass protection skills? It would be a huuuge jump for him to protect Bulger's blind side in the NFL.

Eugene Monroe on the other hand played in a pro style offense and is much more fundamentally sound than Smith.

People always say that we can't wait another year to address our tackle position because Bulger and SJax will get destroyed, and they also always say that the top tier tackles in this class are not as strong as in previous years (which I'm not sure I agree with)

but if Jason Smith won't be ready for another year or two, why not just get Aaron Curry and wait another year to get an even better LT?

I could care less if we get Monroe or Curry, I just don't want Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast