Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Post-Combine Pre-Free Agency Mock Draft

ONE
    1. Houston: Reggie Bush, RB, USC
    -Can we put this one in stone yet? I think we can, if Houston stays here. Bush is a once in a lifetime player, and it's not so much that the Texans need a running back, but also that the Texans need to give the fans a reason to come see their games. Besides, if anyone knows how to properly utilize two running backs, it's Gary Kubiak.

2. New Orleans: Matt Leinart, QB, USC
    -There are rumors floating about that Saints coach Sean Payton likes Jay Cutler more than Matt Leinart, but I just can't see Leinart not being the first quarterback taken in this draft. He's the kind of guy who isn't going to need a lot of developmental time, which is good for New Orleans, since Aaron Brooks might not make it to 2006.

3. Tennessee: Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt
    -This was tough. I'm not convinced Young is still a top three pick after the Wonderlic debacle, and Cutler's stock is rising ridiculously fast. The Tians have already professed their love of him, and while Steve McNair looks to be back in 2006, the future for the QB position needs to be found.

4. NY Jets: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia
    -The Jets would have liked Cutler here at this position, but with the Titans deciding to take the Vanderbilt signal-caller, New York plays it smart and drafts Ferguson, who after slipping a bit at the end of the season simply due to the top tier talent that was coming out, is now back with a secure place in the top five.

5. Green Bay: Mario Williams, DE, NC State
    -In any other draft, Mario Williams would go no later than second overall to some lucky team in desperate need of a defensive playmaker. Green Bay fans should take up astrology so they can study exactly why the stars all lined up for them. Anticipating the signing of an OLB in free agency, I think Mario Williams is the best fit for the Packers.

6. San Fransisco: A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio State
    -I think this is a coin toss between A.J. Hawk and Maryland tight end Vernon Davis. On one hand, the ***** have spent a lot of money on Alex Smith, and could take Davis to give Smith a legitimate target to throw to. But on the other hand, the loss of Julian Peterson and a general lack of defensive playmakers gives Hawk the nudge.

7. Oakland: Vince Young, QB, Texas
    -Let's get one thing straight here; quarterback is not a big need for the Raiders. But if we know one thing about Al Davis, it's that he loves athletes, especially speedy ones. I have a feeling that Davis will be drooling over Vince Young, so much so that he takes him here despite having Andrew Walter as a possible answer.

8. Buffalo: Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
    -There's talk about the Bills shifting to a Cover 2 defensive scheme, and that they cut Sam Adams because he didn't fit that scheme very well. One look at Ngata and you might conclude the same, but this Oregon standout is ridiculously athletic for his size. The Bills, who already needed another tackle prior to releasing Adams, will take their's here.

9. Detroit: Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland
    -At this point, I contend that Vernon Davis is too good of a talent to pass up. There will surely be some fans in Detroit who, after watching their team take three wide receivers in the last three years, will not like this pick. But Davis gives the Lions someone who can really stretch the field, which is something Mike Martz will covet.

10. Arizona: Winston Justice, OT, USC
    -Running back is the sexy pick here, but I'm not convinced that Dennis Green is going to be so quick to give up on J.J. Arrington, a second round pick last year. No, I think Green realizes something that many of us do - the Cardinals had a horrible offensive line in 2005. Justice may be the first step toward shoring that up.

11. St. Louis: Michael Huff, DB, Texas
    -The Rams decided not to tender Mike Furrey an offer, and it looks as if they won't resign Adam Archuleta before the start of free agency. If the Rams cannot address the safety position by either resigning or replacing Archuleta, then Michael Huff will be a welcome addition to a St. Louis defense in desperate need of a playmaker.

12. Cleveland: Manny Lawson, DE/OLB, NC State
    -I think it's clear based on the combine that Manny Lawson could be the next Demarcus Ware or Shawne Merriman. This guy is a freak of nature who has perfect size for the 3-4 rush backer position and great speed as well. The Browns would have liked to see Ngata fall to them here, but Lawson will be a great consolation prize.

13. Baltimore: DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis
    -Jamal Lewis is testing free agency, and everything I've heard is that Chester Taylor might skip town as well. The Ravens really need to reinvigorate their running game, and DeAngelo Williams is just the man for the job. He's a bit undersized, but makes up for it with great vision and instincts.

14. Philadelphia: Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State
    -It would be tempting for the Eagles to take a receiver like Chad Jackson or Santonio Holmes here, but I'm not convinced either of them have earned a top fifteen grade at this point. That said, the Eagles need to find some talent for their defensive line, particularly at the defensive end position. Fortunately for them, Hali is available.

15. Atlanta: Tye Hill, CB, Clemson
    -Hill has flown up the charts recently with a great showing at the Senior Bowl and even better showing with that blazing fast speed. The Falcons have a lot of work to do on the defensive side of the ball, and it starts by adding a playmaking corner to play opposite of DeAngelo Hall.

16. Miami: Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio State
    -With the top quarterbacks and offensive tackles off of the board, the Dolphins will take one of the up and coming linebackers in this draft - Bobby Carpenter. He had to share the field with A.J. Hawk in college, and in Miami, will find himself sharing the field with talents like Zach Thomas and Channing Crowder.

17. Minnesota: LenDale White, RB, USC
    -New head coach Brad Childress says he's looking for a back that can carry the football 20-25 times a game for the Vikings. While LenDale White often played second fiddle to Reggie Bush in college, White could certainly fill that role. LenDale is a potential top ten pick, so getting him here will be great for Minnesota.

18. Dallas: Chad Jackson, WR, Florida
    -The Cowboys have needs at both offensive tackle and free safety, but after an impressive combine performance, the talents of Chad Jackson are just too good to pass up. Starters Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn aren't getting any younger, and behind them is only Patrick Crayton. Jackson looks to be the future of Dallas' passing game.

19. San Diego: Jimmy Williams, DB, Virginia Tech
    -If Jimmy Williams were to fall this far, it would be a blessing for San Diego. The weakest part of their team looks to be their secondary, and Williams is a player who could step in and make an immediate impact. Despite a preference toward cornerback, look for the Chargers to set up Williams at free safety.

20. Kansas City: Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Florida State
    -Bunkley nearly tied the record for bench press reps at the combine. That's certainly not an easy feat. The Chiefs need help along the defensive line, and with that impressive combine performance, don't look for them to pass up on Bunkley's talents at tackle, a particularly weak area for Kansas City.

21. New England: Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa
    -Greenway may not have been the workout warrior that other prospects are at the combine, but the bottom line is he's a football player. And what team covets football players more than the New England Patriots, who win championships on the backs of blue collar football players? Greenway will be a perfect addition to the Patriots linebacking corps.

22. Denver (f/WAS): Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College
    -Kiwanuka, once projected as a top 15 pick in this draft, will be a godsend to the Broncos if he's available at 22nd overall. It's clear that the Broncos have had to cut some ties after letting Trevor Price go last week, and they may not be able to retain some of their other defensive linemen. Restocking with Mathias will be key for them.

23. Tampa Bay: Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn
    -Eric Winston was my original projection here, but he had a disappointing bench press rep at Miami's pro day that I think will push him down a bit. Meanwhile, Marcus McNeill has done nothing but impress, specifically at the combine. And I'm sure Carnell Williams will enjoy running behind his college teammate, as well.

24. Cincinnati: Ko Simpson, S, South Carolina
    -The Bengals would have hoped that Brodrick Bunkley would be available here, but they'll "settle" for Ko Simpson, who could very well be the top pure safety in this draft class. Though Simpson is a bit raw with only two years of college ball under his belt, he'll be a good addition lined up beside Madieu Williams.

25. NY Giants: DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama
    -Late into the 2005 season, the Giants were pretty much taking people out of the stands to play linebacker for them. They release Barrett Green and may lose Nick Greisen to free agency. Ryans could become an immediate starter on New York's defensive unit, because there are plenty of openings to be had with the Giants right now.

26. Chicago: Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia
    -The Bears not only want to upgrade the tight end's role in the passing game, but need someone who is physical and strong enough to open up holes for their dangerous 1-2 punch of Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson. Leonard Pope looks to be the perfect man for the job. At nearly 6'8", Pope will prove his worth in both regards.

27. Carolina: Eric Winston, OT, Miami
    -The Panthers thought they had found the answer to their tackle problems when they drafted Jordan Gross. Unfortunately, it seems that Gross is only part of the equation. He's a better fit at right tackle, leaving the Panthers in need of someone to watch Jake Delhomme's blind side. Enter Eric Winston.

28. Jacksonville: Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State
    -Though the Jaguars seem to be showing a strong interest in UTEP linebacker Thomas Howard, I think it's a bit too early for him to be selected at this point. Rather, the Jaguars need to find another playmaker for their secondary, and with a great overall package of skills, Ashton Youboty could very well be that guy.

29. Denver: Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State
    -Holmes could very easily still be the top receiver in this class when all is said and done after his pro day. But right now, I think he's second banana to Chad Jackson, and for the Broncos to get him here would be great luck for them, since Rod Smith can't play forever and Ashley Lelie is not an ideal starter.

30. Indianapolis: Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
    -Maroney has really fallen since the end of the season, for one reason or another. But one reason he hasn't fallen is that he's really a great back. Explosive with the football and a threat to take it all the way any time he's involved in the play, Maroney could make Colts fans forget the name Edgerrin James.

31. Seattle: D'Qwell Jackson, LB, Maryland
    -It was hard for me to push D'Qwell into the first round after measuring in at 6'0" and 230 pounds and running a 4.7 forty. But I believe that Jackson can move outside to SLB, and no one is going to contest the idea that Jackson combined with Lofa Tatupu will make for one dangerous group of linebackers.

32. Pittsburgh: Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State
    -It's been said by some that Mangold may be the best center prospect to come out in 15 years. I haven't seen enough of him to go that far, but it's clear that the Ohio State lineman has the kind of talent that Pittsburgh will be looking for if they can't get new contracts finalized with centers Jeff Hartings and Chukky Okobi.

TWO
    33. Houston: Jon Scott, OT, Texas
    -Texans need a potential franchise LT, and Scott will bring the Longhorn faithful.

34. New Orleans: Ernie Sims, OLB, Florida State
    -Sims on the weakside of the Saints LB group could be a drastic defensive improvement.

35. NY Jets: Kamerion Wimbley, DE/OLB, Florida State
    -If Mangini wants to change to the 3-4, Wimbley would make a great rush linebacker.

36. Green Bay: Joseph Addai, RB, LSU
    -After a great combine, Joseph Addai could be the future starter for the Packers.

37. Oakland: Donte Whitner, S, Ohio State
    -Whitner may be a first round talent, which is what the Raiders need on defense.

38. San Fransisco: Darnell Bing, S, USC
    -The ***** will continue to address their defense, this time their secondary, by taking Bing.

39. Tennessee: Thomas Howard, OLB, UTEP
    -The Titans want to get faster at the LB position, and it doesn't get much faster than Howard.

40. Detroit: Jason Allen, S, Tennessee
    -A blazing forty at the combine really propelled Allen into the top of the second round.

41. Arizona: Dominique Byrd, TE, USC
    -There's no question that Byrd is a huge upgrade over what the Cardinals have at TE.

42. Buffalo: Ryan O'Callaghan, OT, California
    -O'Callaghan is a big upgrade over Mike Gandy for the Bills at left tackle.

43. Cleveland: Gabe Watson, DT, Michigan
    -Watson may be a first round talent, and is a nice fit at nose tackle for Cleveland.

44. Baltimore: Davin Joseph, G, Oklahoma
    -The Ravens' offensive line left a lot to be desired during the 2005 season.

45. Philadelphia: Sinorice Moss, WR, Miami
    -Moss is a borderline first round talent that will help strengthen the Eagles' WR corps.

46. St. Louis: Abdul Hodge, LB, Iowa
    -After releasing Chris Claiborne, the Rams find their starter at MLB in Abdul Hodge.

47. Atlanta: Ray Edwards, DE, Purdue
    -Releasing Brady Smith makes defensive end a must-address position for the Falcons.

48. Minnesota: Max Jean-Gilles, G, Georgia
    -The offensive line was not great last season, and Jean-Gilles is the best lineman on the board.

49. Dallas: Daniel Bullocks, S, Nebraska
    -Finally, a center-field safety to compliment the hard-hitting Roy Williams.

50. San Diego: Daryn Colledge, OT, Boise State
    -The Chargers will look to Colledge to add valuable depth at the tackle position.

51. Miami: Jeremy Trueblood, OT, Boston College
    -Trueblood could very well be the answer that Miami is looking for at OT.

52. New England: Brian Calhoun, RB, Wisconsin
    -Depth at running back needs to be addressed sooner rather than later for New England.

53. Washington: Derek Hagan, WR, Arizona State
    -With their first pick, the Redskins add another dimension to their offensive passing game.

54. Kansas City: Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida State
    -Cromartie would have been a first round pick with a better combine performance.

55. Cincinnati: Rodrique Wright, DT, Texas
    -If Marvin Lewis can get Rodrique Wright to play up to his talent, then watch out.

56. NY Giants: Jonathan Joseph, CB, South Carolina
    -The team needs a serious upgrade at corner, with Corey Webster the only bright spot on the roster.

57. Chicago: Charles Spencer, G, Pittsburgh
    -Adding a top guard like Spencer could really secure the future of the Bears' interior line.

58. Carolina: Marcedes Lewis, TE, UCLA
    -Lewis has slipped recently, but is still a talented pass catcher that the Panthers will like.

59. Tampa Bay: Richard Marshall, CB, Fresno State
    -Can someone name the players behind Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly in Tampa Bay? Now they'll be able to.

60. Jacksonville: Anthony Fasano, TE, Notre Dame
    -Fasano is a great all around package at tight end, which is exactly what Jacksonville needs.

61. Denver: Orien Harris, DT, Miami
    -More depth on the defensive line is needed if the Broncos are going to remain competitive.

62. Indianapolis: Greg Eslinger, C, Minnesota
    -Eslinger is the top lineman on the board, and will be a pick for the Colts' future.

63. Seattle: Daryl Tapp, DE, Virginia Tech
    -Seattle could use a solid pass rusher to rotate into their defensive line.

64. Pittsburgh: Martin Nance, WR, Miami (OH)
    -If Randle El leaves the steel city, the Steelers will need another target for Big Ben.

THREE
    65. Houston: Pat Watkins, S, Florida State
    66. Houston (f/NO): Taitusi Lutui, G, USC
    67. Green Bay: DeMario Minter, CB, Georgia
    68. Oakland: Roger McIntosh, LB, Miami
    69. San Fransisco: Babatunde Oshinowo, DT, Stanford
    70. Buffalo (f/TEN): Kelly Jennings, CB, Miami
    71. NY Jets: Cedric Griffin, CB, Texas
    72. Arizona: Omar Jacobs, QB, Bowling Green
    73. Buffalo: Roman Harper, S, Alabama
    74. Detroit: Andrew Whitworth, OT, LSU
    75. New England (f/BAL): Daniel Manning, DB, Abilene Christian
    76. Philadelphia: Kyle Williams, DT, LSU
    77. St. Louis: Joe Klopfenstein, TE, Colorado
    78. Cleveland: Devin Hester, DB/WR, Miami
    79. Atlanta: Maurice Drew, RB, UCLA
    80. Dallas: Jason Spitz, OL, Louisville
    81. San Diego: Demetrius Williams, WR, Oregon
    82. Miami: Brodie Croyle, QB, Alabama
    83. Minnesota: Spencer Havner, OLB, UCLA
    84. Washington: Parys Haralson, DE, Tennessee
    85. Kansas City: Hank Baskett, WR, New Mexico
    86. New England: Anthony Schlegel, ILB, Ohio State
    87. NY Giants: Jesse Mahelona, DT, Tennessee
    88. Chicago: Anwar Phillips, CB, Penn State
    89. Carolina: Jonathan Lewis, DT, Virginia Tech
    90. Tampa Bay: Jason Avant, WR, Michigan
    91. Cincinnati: Alan Zemaitis, CB, Penn State
    92. Jacksonville: Terna Nande, LB, Miami (Oh)
    93. Denver: Charlie Whitehurst, QB, Clemson
    94. Indianapolis: Greg Blue, OLB/S, Georgia
    95. Seattle: Marcus Maxey, CB, Miami
    96. Pittsburgh: Elvis Dumervil, DE/OLB, Louisville

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's Post-Combine Pre-Free Agency Mock Draft

A- . I think Byrd will be there in the 3rd for TE. but I like the Huff and Hodge picks.
    RamsFan16

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I dont think Hodge will be there in the second. I think he's too good for the Colts to pass up.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

They'll take Ernie Sims before Hodge.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    I dont think Hodge will be there in the second. I think he's too good for the Colts to pass up.
    The Colts certainly won't pass up on Maroney for Hodge, IMO.

Rampage39 is offline Registered User

i might be tempted to pick Max Jean-Giles in the 2nd if he was still there to compete with Terrell or replace Timmerman when hes done. he would be a HUGE addition to our line.
    Last edited by Rampage39; -03-05-2006 at 07:54 PM.

The Colts certainly won't pass up on Maroney for Hodge, IMO.
    I could see the Giants, Colts, and Chiefs taking Hodge in the 1st.

I could see the Giants, Colts, and Chiefs taking Hodge in the 1st.
    I can't at all. Giants already have a MLB in Pierce, they need OLB help. The Chiefs at 20 is way too high for Hodge, and plus MLB isn't a huge need for them. And again, if Maroney is there for the Colts, he's the pick. Hodge didn't gain any ground at the combine, IMO, and remains a solid early to mid second round pick.

Hodge didn't gain any ground at the combine, IMO,
    I think he gained major ground at the Senior Bowl though. Dont get me wrong, I love the pick; I just see him going earlier.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If Kelly Jennings lasts until Round 3, I'd try to move up a few spots to grab him.

I think he gained major ground at the Senior Bowl though.
    I disagree, and I haven't seen any rumblings or buzz to show that he has risen like that. Scott Wright's post-combine updated mock doesn't even have Hodge in the first two rounds. I disagree with that assessment, but I don't think he goes higher than the top of the second to maybe Tennessee or Detroit. I just don't know what could support that kind of rise.

BigGameHolt is offline Registered User

Id like if we got michael huff to boost our safety and defense, but damn I want vernon davis, add a threat across the middle to go along with great WR in HOlt and now a good balanced running attack with the S-train Jackson
    :clanram: BIG GAME Holt

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

77. St. Louis: Joe Klopfenstein, TE, Colorado
    Is that name going to fit on a jersey?

Solid blocker with soft hands and quick feet, has the frame to easily carry 235-240 lbs while maintaining his speed.

Klopfenstein had 28 catches for 284 yards last fall. His five catches for 134 yards, including a 78-yard touchdown. The 78-yard scamper is the longest reception by a tight end in school history.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

moklerman is offline Registered User

Nick, I can see the logic in most of your first round picks but the Young to Oakland idea is very far fetched in my opinion. I would be more inclined to think that Davis would be enamoured with V. Davis who could come in and play right away. Moss and Davis on the same offense is freaky-scary on paper. But, Oakland NEEDS a qb at this point. Like now. I don't think even Davis would be foolish enough to go into the season with Young as a potential starter. Leinart (homestate hero? Collesium ties?) or Cutler maybe, but I'm doubtful they'll go qb in the first round that high. Culpepper, Brees, Griese are all out there but I don't know what the Raiders are planning for that position at this point.

I've heard a lot of buzz that Davis is in love with Young as an athlete, and Davis seems to like taking athletes with impressive measurables (see the corners he took last year). That's the logic behind the pick. It was definitely one of the more controversial in my projection, which like most of my others, typically remain rather safe all around.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast