Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Post-Free Agency Post-Pro Day First Round Mock Draft

Only did the first round this time. I'm hoping to have a three rounder cranked out before the actual draft occurs, and will likely post at least one full seven-round mock for the Rams before the draft as well. But I thought I'd get this up before any more free agency signings happen and make me want to change it around.

1. Houston: Reggie Bush, RB, USC
    -Bush is the consensus first overall pick at this point, and will put butts in the seats in Houston.

2. New Orleans: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia
    -The Saints no longer need a QB after signing Brees, but do need to protect his blind side.

3. Tennessee: Matt Leinart, QB, USC
    -Norm Chow's college quarterback finds a home with his former coordinator in Tennessee.

4. NY Jets: A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio State
    -With D'Brick and Leinart gone, the Jets take Hawk in hopes of plugging him into their new 3-4 defense.

5. Green Bay: Mario Williams, DE, NC State
    -Even after signing Aaron Kampman, the Packers would be fools to pass up Super Mario.

6. San Fransisco: Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland
    -With Hawk off the board, the choice for San Francisco is clear. Somewhere, Alex Smith is celebrating.

7. Oakland: Vince Young, QB, Texas
    -Anyone who thinks Aaron Brooks is the answer in Oakland is off their rocker.

8. Buffalo: Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
    -Ngata may not be an ideal DT for the Cover 2, but this is still a need position for the Bills.

9. Detroit: Michael Huff, DB, Texas
    -Huff will be an instant starter in a weak Lion secondary. Detroit fans breathe easy with no top rated WR for Millen to take here.

10. Arizona: Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt
    -Kurt Warner finds himself in the mentor role once again as the Cardinals find their QB of the future.

11. St. Louis: Tye Hill, CB, Clemson
    -Value meets need for the Rams as they find a true #1 cornerback in Clemson's Tye Hill.

12. Cleveland: Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Florida State
    -Bunkley showed great strength at the NFL combine, and has really shot up draft boards recently.

13. Baltimore: Winston Justice, OT, USC
    -After releasing Orlando Brown, the Ravens need to upgrade at the right tackle position.

14. Philadelphia: Ernie Sims, OLB, Florida State
    -Sims' stock is skyrocketing, and the Eagles could really use help at outside linebacker.

15. Denver (f/ATL): Chad Jackson, WR, Florida
    -Reports indicate the Broncos traded up for a QB, but will be more than happy settling for Jackson.

16. Miami: Jimmy Williams, DB, Virginia Tech
    -Williams' stock has dipped quite a bit, but he may be too tempting for the Dolphins to pass up here.

17. Minnesota: Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa
    -The Vikings' linebackers have been disappointing. Greenway will be a welcomed addition.

18. Dallas: Ko Simpson, S, South Carolina
    -Having addressed their other big need by signing OT Jason Fabini, the Cowboys address their hole at FS here.

19. San Diego: Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn
    -The Chargers would be wise to select McNeill and get some good young depth on the offensive line.

20. Kansas City: Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida State
    -Cromartie wowed scouts at his pro day, and once again looks like a solid defensive pick in the mid first round.

21. New England: DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis
    -The Patriots will be pleasantly surprised to find Williams available at this spot in the first round.

22. Denver (f/WAS): LenDale White, RB, USC
    -Mike Shanahan hasn't drafted a running back in the first round before, but the Broncos could very well bring LenDale back home to Denver.

23. Tampa Bay: Eric Winston, OT, Miami
    -Anthony Davis is far from an ideal starter at left tackle for the Buccaneers.

24. Cincinnati: Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College
    -The Bengals addressed the safety position in free agency, but could use a quality pass rusher like Kiwanuka on their defensive line.

25. NY Giants: Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio State
    -Great value pick for the Giants, who are in need of a solid player at outside linebacker.

26. Chicago: Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State
    -Wide receiver isn't a big need for the Bears, but Holmes is too good to pass up here.

27. Carolina: Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
    -The Panthers resigned DeShaun Foster to a modest deal, but will upgrade their backfield by selecting Maroney.

28. Jacksonville: DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama
    -DeMeco Ryans will be more than an adequate replacement for former Jaguar Akin Ayodele.

29. NY Jets (f/ATL via DEN): Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State
    -The Jets parted ways with Kevin Mawae, but will restock with the talented Nick Mangold.

30. Indianapolis: Joseph Addai, RB, LSU
    -After losing Edgerrin James to the Cardinals, the Colts need a talented running back to fill his shoes.

31. Seattle: Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State
    -Hali's stock is falling after a disappointing pro day, but Seattle will have no qualms about snatching him up here.

32. Pittsburgh: Kamerion Wimbley, DE/OLB, Florida State
    -Wimbley is an exceptional value at the bottom of the first, and fits perfectly as an outside linebacker in the 3-4 scheme.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Nick's Post-Free Agency Post-Pro Day First Round Mock Draft

I'm guessing that if you went 2 rounds in, you'd have Manny Lawson going to Houston with the first pick of the second round...?

As for Tye Hill to the Rams - I think that's the kind of pick that would have a lot of fans up in arms in April, but happy in November.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

I'm up in arms and it March!!!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Why Tye Hill? He is a small cornerback and we have plenty of those. They can't cover the big guys worth crap. Next year we have to play Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Roy Williams, Mike Williams, Charles Rogers, Rod Smith, Mushin Muhamad, Javon Walker, Donald Driver, Randy Moss, Jerry Porter, Keyshawn Johnson. If he had to cover any of those guys he would get owned. I don't like the pick at all.
    RamsFan16

ramhard is offline Registered User

Bartell Bartell Bartell

Why do people ignore Ron Bartell, he's a big fast corner at 6'1 and 208 and a 4.37 40 time coming out of college (faster than Williams and Cromartie, bigger than Hill). He compares favorably to the stats of all the corners coming out. He has one season of pro play under his belt. I'm betting he is the starting corner (no matter who is drafted).

I still don't think CB is the top priority. I think rush pressure is key so I'd focus on attack position players at DE, OLB, S, or DT's. So if the draft falls the way you have it, I'd go Bunkley or Greenway.

Re: Bartell Bartell Bartell

Need either a Linebacker, D Tackle or M.Huff. Anything other than that would just be ridiculous, IMO.
    Last edited by badmoforamfan; -03-24-2006 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard

I still don't think CB is the top priority. I think rush pressure is key so I'd focus on attack position players at DE, OLB, S, or DT's. So if the draft falls the way you have it, I'd go Bunkley or Greenway.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Why do people ignore Ron Bartell, he's a big fast corner at 6'1 and 208 and a 4.37 40 time coming out of college (faster than Williams and Cromartie, bigger than Hill). He compares favorably to the stats of all the corners coming out. He has one season of pro play under his belt. I'm betting he is the starting corner (no matter who is drafted).

I know. Ron Bartell played very well last season but had no interceptions. He let up one big play and it was a 20yd pass play to Matt Jones or Ernest WIlford against Jacksonville I don't remember which one. But I remember against AZ they were going to return a kick back and Bartell ran him down from 20-25yds back, cought him and tackles him at like the 30yd line and he had to run across field. And there was huge run I think it was Washington and he had to run from 20yds back to catch the RB and he did. This kid has alot of heart and is one heck of an athlete.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I'm guessing that if you went 2 rounds in, you'd have Manny Lawson going to Houston with the first pick of the second round...?
    Right now I have him projected to San Fran at the top of the second. There's a lot of differing opinions on where Lawson is. I've seen him as high as 16 to Miami, but I'm not sure right now he's more than a late first early second guy. All indications are that he hasn't shot up like Ware or Merriman did last year, and that Wimbley out of FSU may in fact be the higher-rated hybrid DE.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Why Tye Hill? He is a small cornerback and we have plenty of those. They can't cover the big guys worth crap. Next year we have to play Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Roy Williams, Mike Williams, Charles Rogers, Rod Smith, Mushin Muhamad, Javon Walker, Donald Driver, Randy Moss, Jerry Porter, Keyshawn Johnson. If he had to cover any of those guys he would get owned. I don't like the pick at all.
    You're against drafting a corner, yet you still have Jimmy Williams in your sig as part of your Rams' draft board. Interesting.

And if you don't think Tye Hill can cover bigger receivers, I don't know what to tell you besides take a couple minutes and find some tape of him, since that's all it took for you to like Huff.

Heck, you could go back to the Senior Bowl. He was breaking up passes against guys measuring around 6'4". He's the best pure cover corner in this draft. He has amazing leaping abilities to get up in the air and defend the pass, and will contend with receivers much bigger than he is.

Why do people ignore Ron Bartell
    No one's ignoring Ron Bartell. But we have Butler coming off a significant knee injury and wasn't exactly an elite talent to begin with, Fisher who can't stay healthy and will likely test free agency after 2006, Groce who has shown flashes of potential but hasn't really solidified himself and is also a 2007 free agent, and Brown whom we just signed who is a decent guy but also hasn't reached that next tier. You could argue that our best CB last year was Corey Ivy, and he's gone.

So no true #1 cornerback, which I believe Hill could be. Imagine having Hill and Butler starting with Bartell in the nickel. Can we say great depth? I sure can. What cracks me up about Rams fans is that we had the 28th ranked pass defense last year (when ranked by opposing QB rating), but drafting a talented cornerback is a horrible move all of a sudden. People make it sound like our CB group is fine, yet I think a lot of Rams fans overrate the talent we have there.

Furthermore, look at the injuries we sustained last year. We struggled to find enough corners for our roster. The addition of Hill gives us a guy with amazing talent, and increases our depth at that position, which isn't a bad idea when your three top corners all had injury issues last season.

CB isn't the top priority, but I think right now it's the best combination of value and need, because I believe we do need a true #1 cornerback. I'm not convinced Greenway is as good of value at 11th overall, and I'm personally not sold on Bunkley. That's just a personal opinion though. As for DE and S, I have Huff off the board, and there's no DE or S of good enough value at that point to be selected.

Quote Originally Posted by badmoforamfan
    Need either a Linebacker, D Tackle or M.Huff. Anything other than that would just be ridiculous, IMO.
    Ridiculous? Hardly. I believe Hill is the best option right now in terms of value meeting need, and yes, we still have needs at CB.

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

unless they have info about the health of butler and fisher that has not been disclosed yet,i dont see why with bartell,brown,groce etc.... why we would draft another cb i was all up for getting veteran leadership at the position but now that oppurtunity seems to have passed then i dont see the point in added yet more youth to a crop that i think can be pretty decent given a lil more experience!

plus i also think bartell jr is gonna turn out to be a great pick in the forthcoming years and hey we aint got martz here anymore to ship our young stars on D whilst theve just started to flourish like in previous years!!!

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

i do agree that tye hill is quality btw,just dont think we would be too wise with needs elsewhere to burn a 1st round pick on him!

The pick was made based on who was on the board and the big board I'd developed prior to making the projections for every team.

You can't just say, "We need a LB" so we have to take a LB and it's a wasted pick if we don't. Right now, the best LB on the board for the Rams would either be Greenway or Sims, and right now (1) I don't think either is as good of value at 11th overall as Tye Hill is and (2) neither is an amazing fit at SAM linebacker, which is really what we need.

Let's put it this way. Tight end has never been our biggest need, but people had no problem falling head over heels for Vernon Davis as a pick for the Rams leading up to the combine. If teams only drafted based on their biggest needs, then Reggie Bush would certainly not be the first overall pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    The pick was made based on who was on the board and the big board I'd developed prior to making the projections for every team.
    Understood, and perhaps I was a bit extreme with the ridiculous comment, but is he the best player available at that pick?

If we can't get who we want, then I think we should choose the best available player with that pick and fill the holes in the latter rounds. Considering how much I keep hearing how deep this particular draft is.

:football:

I believe at that point, considering Hawk, Super Mario, Huff, Ngata, and Davis are all off the board, then Hill is the best option, yes.

rampete is offline Registered User

tye hill as the BPA at #11? hmm....

what's your opinion on deangelo williams the RB? he ran a 4.4 , 4.10 (short) and a 6.57 (3-cone) today at his proday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast