Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Post-Senior Bowl TWO ROUND Mock Draft!

That's right, I said two rounds! Well, the Senior Bowl is over and I think a number of guys helped (and hurt) their stock to varying degrees this week. I'm getting ambitious and trying out a two-round mock to try and highlight some of the players we watched and heard about over the last week who may have seen opened some eyes. It was a fun challenge, so I hope you guys enjoy it!

ROUND ONE

1. Carolina Panthers: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
    -I just can't get behind a QB with this pick, so that leaves a defensive lineman (Fairley or Bowers) or receiver (Green). If the Panthers can retain Charles Johnson, who had 11.5 sacks this season, then I expect them to fill a big need at DT with Fairley here.

2. Denver Broncos: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
    -This is a tough call for me between Bowers and LSU's Peterson. Ultimately it might depend on whether or not the Broncos retain Champ Bailey. But since they're likely switching to a 4-3, I like the idea of pairing Bowers with Elvis Dumervil on the egdes of their DL.

3. Buffalo Bills: Marcell Dareus, DE, Alabama
    -Buffalo's switch to the 3-4 defense is an ongoing process, and more pieces are necessary if it's going to be a successful one. Alabama's Marcell Dareus played in a three-man front in college, and should be able to make an impact for the Bills immediately.

4. Cincinnati Bengals: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
    -The news about Carson Palmer wanting a trade has shaken things up a bit for the Bengals, who could find themselves desperate enough to take a quarterback. But for the time being, I'm sticking with my guns and giving them the top receiver in A.J. Green.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
    -Von Miller was a Top Ten pick in my previous mock, but I think he's solidified his Top Ten status with a good showing this week in Mobile. He'd be a perfect fit for the Arizona Cardinals, who are looking to improve their pass rush.

6. Cleveland Browns: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
    -Cleveland's hiring of DIck Jauron at defensive coordinator indicates the Browns are going to switch to a four-man front in 2011. Grabbing Robert Quinn here would give them one of the most important components of that front, a top-notch edge rusher.

7. San Francisco *****: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
    -Great scenario for the *****, since LSU's Patrick Peterson could be one of the first players off the board in this class. Instead they get him here at the seven-spot. Peterson will instantly upgrade a secondary that is in need of a talent infusion.

8. Tennessee Titans: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
    -The first quarterback comes off the board here with Tennessee taking Missouri's Blaine Gabbert. With both Vince Young and Jeff Fisher on the way out, whoever takes over the Titans will need to find their face of the franchise sooner rather than later.

9. Dallas Cowboys: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
    -Terence Newman is a rather expensive 32-year-old cornerback, and Mike Jenkins took a step back after an impressive year in 2009. The future of this position is a bit murky, so don't be surprised if the Cowboys pounce on Amukamara if he's available.

10. Washington Redskins: Jake Locker, QB, Washington
    -Jake Locker pulled a Matt Leinart, watching his stock slip after returning to school for his senior year. But word is Washington still loves him, and an experienced coach in Mike Shanahan should be patient enough to bring him along slowly.

11. Houston Texans: Cameron Jordan, DE, California
    -California's Cameron Jordan has simply looked unblockable during Senior Bowl practices, with many believing he's elevated his stock because of it. Houston's switch to the 3-4 defense means they'll need another five-technique end opposite Mario Williams.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
    -Brett Favre has finally retired, and Tarvaris Jackson is on his way out, meaning the Vikings are in the market for a franchise QB. Cam Newton could ride the momentum from an outstanding season and national championship into a high first round selection.

13. Detroit Lions: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
    -The Lions would have liked a cornerback or linebacker here, but they could also benefit from further investments in their defensive front. Purdue's Ryan Kerrigan is already an impressive pass rusher, but imagine what he could do on a line with Ndamukong Suh.

14. St. Louis Rams: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
    -Finding a legitimate #1 weapon for Sam Bradford should be an offseason priority. Alabama's Julio Jones is arguably the most physically gifted receiver in this class, and Jones improved upon his consistency with a career year this season for the Crimson Tide.

15. Miami Dolphins: Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
    -While I think the Dolphins could still elect to go with Alabama running back Mark Ingram, they're also going to be in the market for a quarterback. Concerns about Mallett's intangibles could cause him to slip, but Miami would be hard pressed not to consider him here.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
    -The Jaguars finished the 2010 season among the worst teams in the league at sacking the quarterback, and would have loved to see Kerrigan slip to them. Instead, they'll take Clayborn, who has Top Ten talent himself.

17. New England Patriots (f/OAK): Aldon Smith, OLB, Missouri
    -Aldon Smith may not have the experience coming out of college that New England tends to like, but his talent is undeniable. He should make an immediate impact as a pass rusher on a Patriots defense that has taken a step back.

18. San Diego Chargers: Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia
    -Whether or not Justin Houston is worthy of a Top 20 selection is going to depend on how he measures up at the NFL Combine, but assuming he impresses those in attendance, he'll be an option for a San Diego team looking for a 3-4 outside linebacker.

19. New York Giants: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
    -I'm not as high on Colorado's Nate Solder as others are, and I don't think he had a particularly good Senior Bowl week. But he has amazing physical talent, and the Giants can afford to bring him along slowly by keeping David Diehl at left tackle until Solder can take over.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA
    -A pass rusher like Kerrigan, Houston, or even Clayborn would have been ideal, but it wasn't meant to be. Instead, Tampa improves their talent at outside linebacker by taking the versatile Akeem Ayers.

21. Kansas City Chiefs: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
    -Like Tampa, the Chiefs would have also preferred pass rush help. But they also have some needs along the offensive line, particularly at right tackle. Boston College's Anthony Castonzo should be a reliable solution to that problem.

22. Indianapolis Colts: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
    -An offensive lineman is going to get some consideration here, but I think Stephen Paea's value for the Colts' defense is a bit too good to pass up. He'd be a great addition to a unit that hasn't had a legitimate talent at tackle in quite some time.

23. Philadelphia Eagles: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
    -Asante Samuel has one starting spot locked down, but an upgrade over Dimitri Patterson would be wise. Miami's Brandon Harris currently has the edge over Colorado's Jimmy Smith as the third best corner in this class.

24. New Orleans Saints: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
    -The Saints are benefactors of Mark Ingram's slide, and should take advantage by selecting him here. With Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush scheduled to hit free agency, New Orleans would benefit from restocking at the position.

25. Seattle Seahawks: Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi
    -Seattle spent the sixth overall pick last year on tackle Russell Okung, but now find themselves in need of help on the right side of the line. Combining Okung with Mississippi's Sherrod would give Seattle two young bookend lineman to build around.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Corey Liuget, DL, Illinois
    -Corey Liuget is scheme diverse and will get a look from some of the 3-4 teams in the bottom part of the first round. One team in need of some youth at the position is Baltimore, who would like to upgrade over Cory Redding.

27. Atlanta Falcons: Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland
    -It's clear that Atlanta needs a dynamic weapon opposite of Roddy White, because Michael Jenkins isn't getting the job done. Maryland's Torrey Smith could very well sneak into the first round with a solid showing at the Combine.

28. New England Patriots: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
    -The Patriots went with an outside linebacker with their first first-round pick, and will continue addressing defensive needs with a lineman here. Cameron Heyward is a great fit as a five-technique end in their three-man defensive front.

29. Chicago Bears: Tyron Smith, OT, USC
    -Protecting Jay Cutler should be a priority in 2011 after the Bears led the league in sacks allowed. USC's Tyron Smith should do the job that former first round pick Chris Williams couldn't - lock down the left tackle position on Chicago's line.

30. New York Jets: J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin
    -The Jets defensive front is made up of either aging veterans or stopgap solutions. Simply put, they're in need of some help. Wisconsin's J.J. Watt has the size and talent to succeed as a five-technique defensive end in the Big Apple.

31. Green Bay Packers: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
    -This is a tough spot for the Packers, as they'd prefer some help at linebacker. But protecting Aaron Rodgers, who is emerging as one of the league's elite quarterbacks, is also a priority. Carimi will team with Bryan Bulaga to give Green Bay more young talent on their OL.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
    -The offensive line is a consideration here, given Pittsburgh's need at both tackle and guard. But Colorado's Jimmy Smith is just too good of a value to pass up, especially with top cornerback Ike Taylor scheduled for free agency.

ROUND TWO

33. New England Patriots (f/CAR): Marcus Cannon, OL, TCU
    -New England needs to find a replacement for right guard Stephen Neal, and TCU's Cannon is one of the best interior OL prospects in this class.

34. Buffalo Bills: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
    -Buffalo's tight ends combined for 23 receptions in 2010. Notre Dame's Rudolph would provide an immediate upgrade in the starting line-up.

35. Cincinnati Bengals: Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois
    -Even if the Bengals retain impending free agent Cedric Benson, they're going to need someone to share the load with him in their power running game.

36. Denver Broncos: Drake Nevis, DT, LSU
    -Denver continues to address their huge needs on the defensive line by taking a top 4-3 defensive tackle prospect in LSU's Nevis.

37. Cleveland Browns: Jon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
    -If Colt McCoy is going to have success in Pat Shurmur's West Coast offense, he's going to need some targets to throw to.

38. Arizona Cardinals: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
    -Arizona passed on Patrick Peterson in the first round to take Von Miller, but they'll be hard pressed to pass on Aaron Williams here.

39. Tennessee Titans: Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois
    -Without a head coach, it's hard to tell what direction Tennesse might go, but Illinois' Wilson offers them versatility at the linebacker position.

40. Dallas Cowboys: Stefen Wisniewski, C, Penn State
    -Center Andre Gurode will turn 33-years-old in March; the Cowboys need to start grooming someone to eventually replace him.

41. Washington Redskins: Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor
    -The Redskins could certainly use an upgrade at nose tackle over journeyman Anthony Bryant, and Taylor has impressed as a big-bodied lineman at the Senior Bowl.

42. Houston Texans: Rahim Moore, S, UCLA
    -Houston has one of the worst secondaries in the NFL, and while cornerback is an option, Moore would give the Texans the answer at safety they've needed for years.

43. Minnesota Vikings: Muhammad Wilkerson, DT, Temple
    -It's possible that defensive tackles Pat Williams, Fred Evans, and Jimmy Kennedy could all leave in free agency. Time to restock with the disruptive Wilkerson.

44. Detroit Lions: Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina
    -A cornerback would be awfully tempting here, but it's hard to overlook the talent that North Carolina's Bruce Carter could bring to the Lions' linebackers.

45. San Francisco *****: Jerrell Powe, NT, Mississippi
    -The ***** may not want to sign NT Aubrayo Franklin to a long-term deal, as he turns 31 in August. Instead, finding a replacement nose tackle might be a preferred option.

46. Denver Broncos (f/MIA): Davon House, CB, New Mexico State
    -The Broncos could have gone with cornerback Aaron Williams earlier, but continued to imrpove their defensive line. Now's the time for secondary help.

47. St. Louis Rams: Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida
    -Adam Goldberg is not an adequate starter at right guard; while Pouncey is not as talented as his brother, he should be a fine guard at the next level.

48. Oakland Raiders: Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor
    -Baylor's Watkins could replace impending free agent Robert Gallery at left guard or could allow right guard Bruce Campbell to shift outside to tackle.

49. Jacksonville Jaguars: Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
    -Veteran Rashean Mathis is starting to slow down, and Derek Cox has had some consistency issues. Adding talent to the secondary should be a priority for Jacksonville.

50. San Diego Chargers: Titus Young, WR, Boise State
    -Both Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd are scheduled for free agency; even if San Diego retains one, they could use another dynamic weapon at receiver.

51. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Allen Bailey, DE, Miami
    -In need of a defensive end, Tampa could take a chance on Bailey, who has first-round talent but just hasn't put it all together yet.

52. New York Giants: Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State
    -The Giants need a talent infusion at linebacker, and though Greg Jones is a bit short, he could emerge as the leader of this unit at MLB.

53. Indianapolis Colts: Ben Ijalana, OL, Villanova
    -The Colts continue to improve their lines as they turn to offensive help in the versatile Ijalana, who could play at either guard or tackle for them.

54. Philadelphia Eagles: Quan Sturdivant, LB, North Carolina
    -With Eagles LB Stewart Bradley injured and Ernie Sims a free agent bust, some more talent at the position certainly wouldn't hurt.

55. Kansas City Chiefs: Leonard Hankerson WR Miami
    -Dwane Bowe needs a better companion than Chris Chambers in the starting line-up. The Chiefs may be lucky to find Hankerson here.

56. New Orleans Saints: Jabaal Sheard, DE, Pittsburgh
    -The Saints bypassed larger needs to take RB Ingram in round one, but return in round two to address a glaring need at the defensive end position.

57. Seattle Seahawks: Jurrell Casey, DT, USC
    -Brandon Mebane missed time with injury this season and is scheduled for free agency. Pete Carroll could opt to take a former Trojan in Casey here.

58. Baltimore Ravens: Curtis Brown, CB, Texas
    -Starting CBs Chris Carr and Josh Wilson are free agents, and Dominique Foxworth is coming back from a torn ACL. The need here is obvious.

59. Atlanta Falcons: Christian Ballard, DE, Iowa
    -At Senior Bowl practices, Ballard demonstrated the ability to be disruptive as a defensive end; the Falcons need to find a starter opposite All-Pro John Abraham.

60. New England Patriots: Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech
    -The Patriots passed on Mikel Leshoure earlier in this round, and are rewarded by seeing Virginia Tech's Williams fall to them here.

61. Chicago Bears: Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
    -The Bears will have to make a decision on Charles Tillman in the next year or two, a decision that could be made easier with another talented corner waiting in the wings.

62. San Diego Chargers (f/NYJ): Orlando Franklin, OT, Miami
    -Right tackle Jeromey Clary is scheduled for free agency and may be too expensive to keep. If they don't retain him, they could restock with Franklin here.

63. Green Bay Packers: Jeremy Beal, OLB, Oklahoma
    -The Packers missed out on a pass rusher in round one, so they'll look for one in round two. Beal looked much more comfortable standing up during Senior Bowl practices.

64. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jason Pinkston, OT, Pittsburgh
    -The Pittsburgh Steelers take a Pittsburgh product in Pinkston, who should develop into a quality right tackle for them.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's Post-Senior Bowl TWO ROUND Mock Draft!

Whoa there homie, there is NO way Mike falls into our laps in the 2ndround(but it would be nice).

general counsel is offline Registered User

Julio Jones and the best available guard in Round 2? Sounds great to me. I will say this, if someone grabs Jones in front of us (which would upset me greatly), i sure hope Kerrigan is still available.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Would be an awesome day. Don't think Pouncey will be there at 47 but there is always hope.

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Whoa there homie, there is NO way Mike falls into our laps in the 2ndround(but it would be nice).
    This was discussed quite a bit in my Rams Mock Draft thread a while back. Pouncey is not as highly regarded as his brother, and if you investigated, you'd probably find the same thing I did - more people who put him in that mid second round range than there are those who believe he's a first rounder.

Obviously that could change, and I've maintained that he could improve his stock into the first with a good offseason. But skipping the Senior Bowl was not a good way to start. Until he actually does help his stock, I don't see any reason to assume there's absolutely no way he is on the board in round two.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Julio Jones and the best available guard in Round 2? Sounds great to me. I will say this, if someone grabs Jones in front of us (which would upset me greatly), i sure hope Kerrigan is still available.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    It's possible Jones goes before our pick, which would certainly change things quite a bit as I believe I've had him mocked to the Rams through most of this offseason.

With Jones off the board, I agree that Kerrigan becomes a top option. I would also consider Aldon Smith, Akeem Ayers, Cameron Jordan (if he's there), or perhaps even Stephen Paea depending on how he recovers from injury.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    Would be an awesome day. Don't think Pouncey will be there at 47 but there is always hope.
    Thanks, I just don't see much of a reason to completely write off the possibility at this point.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-30-2011 at 12:31 PM.

shower beers is offline Registered User

After Locker's senior bowl do you still believe he will be a top ten pick? I keep seeing reports of him showing terrible accuracy during the week, with some predicting he won't even be picked before round 3.

My concern being that after Quarterback, the Redskins could also certainly take a long look at Julio Jones, with receiver being another top need for them.

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    After Locker's senior bowl do you still believe he will be a top ten pick? I keep seeing reports of him showing terrible accuracy during the week, with some predicting he won't even be picked before round 3.

My concern being that after Quarterback, the Redskins could also certainly take a long look at Julio Jones, with receiver being another top need for them.
    The Senior Bowl reports were mixed, from what I've read. Most acknowledge that his accuracy was still an issue, but I've also read reports that say he had two pretty good practice days in the middle of the week.

It's kind of an interesting situation, because it seems like some of his critics not only point out the flaws of his game but do it with a strange kind of venom. You kind of saw the same thing with Tebow in some respects. But if Tebow can find a home in the first round, I have a hard time believing Locker can't.

Washington was reportedly high on him last year, and it sounded like they spent a lot of time talking to him at the Senior Bowl. He's probably not going to come in and light the world on fire, he'll need some time to continue working on his technique and improving his skills. But as the saying goes, it only takes one team and there are plenty of QB needy teams in this class, and again, I think his intangibles are going to play a big role.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Kerrigan is a fantastic player but I wouldn't pursue him. I watched the Senior Bowl and they said he is just like Chris Long. We would have to plug him in at RE and he wouldn't fit there. When Long played RE things weren't so good.

My reservation on kerrigan is more Av's point, which is that we can get another year or so out of james hall (who had a great year) and we have a real need for a linebacker (ie ayers) who could make more of an impact now.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

my observation on locker is that if you watched him play this year, and watched the senior bowl, and had no idea of the hype from last year, there would be no chance in the world that anyone would view him as a first round prospect. He couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with plenty of his passes. Great intangibles, that's just not good enough. As per martz, the best of the qb gurus, accuracy is the key and its the hardest to teach.

Huge turning point in the history of our franchise was locker's decision to stay in school last year. Can you imagine if we had taken him instead of bradford, which was a distinct possibility.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Nick,

Very good mock. Thanks for your efforts. I do have some thoughts to share on your latest offering.

1.) Although a strong case can be made for Julio Jones I think that the Rams will take a pass rushing DE like Aldon Smith at pick 14.

2.) I would like to hope that Cam Jordan may also be available but it looks like he is rapidly ascending many boards due to his dominant performance at the Senior Bowl. But, in a way, this only makes a guy like A. Smith all that more valuable.

3.) While I certainly like the Pouncey pick in the 2nd round I couldn't help but notice that WRs like Leonard Hankerson and Titus Young were still on the board. This is what I think will happen this draft day; namely that we can still get an excellent wideout in the 2nd or even the 3rd round while still coming away with a potentially elite pass rusher.

4.) There even may be a possibility that a guy like Torrey Smith could fall to us in the second round. What I don't see happening is an elite pass rusher- a guy able to take on the left tackles of this league- being availbale in any round outside the first. We better jump on him while he've got the chance.

At any rate keep up the good work and I anxiously await your next version.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Nick,

Very good mock. Thanks for your efforts. I do have some thoughts to share on your latest offering.

1.) Although a strong case can be made for Julio Jones I think that the Rams will take a pass rushing DE like Aldon Smith at pick 14.

2.) I would like to hope that Cam Jordan may also be available but it looks like he is rapidly ascending many boards due to his dominant performance at the Senior Bowl. But, in a way, this only makes a guy like A. Smith all that more valuable.

3.) While I certainly like the Pouncey pick in the 2nd round I couldn't help but notice that WRs like Leonard Hankerson and Titus Young were still on the board. This is what I think will happen this draft day; namely that we can still get an excellent wideout in the 2nd or even the 3rd round while still coming away with a potentially elite pass rusher.

4.) There even may be a possibility that a guy like Torrey Smith could fall to us in the second round. What I don't see happening is an elite pass rusher- a guy able to take on the left tackles of this league- being availbale in any round outside the first. We better jump on him while he've got the chance.

At any rate keep up the good work and I anxiously await your next version.

WHAT SAY YE?
    1) That's certainly an option. A receiver in the first round is by no means a guarantee pick for the Rams.

2) I think Jordan could go as high as ninth overall to the Cowboys, and probably doesn't make it by the Patriots or Chargers in the late teens.

3 & 4) Could be, but I'm sure some would argue the same for an elite receiver - like a top pass rusher, they're usually not available in the second round either. It's probably true for every position. The best prospects rise to the top, and the further down you go, the less likely you are to get an impact player, whatever the position.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-30-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

You did not pick Marvin Austin. Do you think he could be taken in the 3rd round ?
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Nice job!

I certainly would have no beef with Pouncey at that spot. I'd also consider Dowling and Bailey.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    3 & 4) Could be, but I'm sure some would argue the same for an elite receiver - like a top pass rusher, they're usually not available in the second round either. It's probably true for every position. The best prospects rise to the top, and the further down you go, the less likely you are to get an impact player, whatever the position.
    Agreed for the most part; however, Pass Rusher > Wide Receiver IMO. Therefore best to secure one when the opportunity arises rather than to wait and hope to get one later in the draft.

BTW this years Super Bowl is an excellent example of this concept. Pittsburgh and Green Bay were numbers 1 and 2 in the NFL in sacks, yet neither team really has what most would call a No. 1 receiver. Both get by very well with a committee approach and I would argue this makes them even tougher to defend.

This is the same approach that New Orleans used last year in their title run. Brees would throw it to anyone of 5 or 6 receivers and nobody knew where or to whom the ball was going next. Much like Rodgers and the Packers this year.

Also, the hated Cheatriots employ the same approach.

At this point in time I'm starting to wonder if the concept of a bonafide Number One receiver isn't a little overblown. Sure it's nice to have one but as I believe is becoming more and more apparent, never at the expense of a player that can provide devastating pass rush.

Again, Pass Rusher trumps Wide Out.

WHAT SAY YE?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast