Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Nick's Post Senior Bowl Two-Round NFL Mock Draft

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Nick's Post Senior Bowl Two-Round NFL Mock Draft

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Nick,

I have a couple of comments concerning your mock.

1.) At this point I just can't get into Kenny Vaccaro as a first round pick. He only had 5 picks in his 4 year college career so it safe to say that ball hawk he ain't. I realize he is a good in-the-box type of safety but there are a lot of those in this draft and if that is what we want we could get one in a lower round.

I realize that I am probably in the minority but I don't see all the love for Kenny. Heck, I can't see how he is much better than Reid, Thomas, Swearingen, Jefferson, McDonald, and Rambo; none of whom are projected to the first round.

2.) I don't have a problem with Fluker or Warford. I just do not see the Rams going back to back offensive linemen in the first two rounds. Gotta believe Fish will looking hard for a play maker at at least one of those spots.

P.S. I do remain open to becoming more of a Vaccaro fan, I just need something to "wow" me if that is possible.

WHAT SAY YE?
    I think a lot of the love for Kenny comes from his versatility. He brings a lot to the table in terms of coverage ability, whether it's defending the middle of the field, going one on one against tight ends, or working in the slot. But he also shows a willingness to mix it up in the box.

His college resume does not boast a lot of interceptions, but besides Earl Thomas in 2009, the Texas defense as a whole hasn't had players that come up with a lot of interceptions over the last five or six years. Neither Michael Huff nor Michael Griffin were interception machines at Texas either, and both ended up being Top 20 picks in their respective years, so maybe it's something about what they're asking their safeties to do down there. No clue how accurate that is, just something I noticed when going back and doing some investigating.

The other thing I would consider is that, when Fisher was the head coach in Tennessee, he drafted Griffin out of Texas with the 19th pick in 2007, and watched Griffin earn Pro Bowl accolades as part of his defense. It wouldn't surprise me to see Fisher go back to the Longhorn well and grab another versatile safety for this defense.
    TekeRam likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Nick,

I have a couple of comments concerning your mock.

1.) At this point I just can't get into Kenny Vaccaro as a first round pick. He only had 5 picks in his 4 year college career so it safe to say that ball hawk he ain't. I realize he is a good in-the-box type of safety but there are a lot of those in this draft and if that is what we want we could get one in a lower round.

I realize that I am probably in the minority but I don't see all the love for Kenny. Heck, I can't see how he is much better than Reid, Thomas, Swearingen, Jefferson, McDonald, and Rambo; none of whom are projected to the first round.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think a lot of the love for Kenny comes from his versatility. He brings a lot to the table in terms of coverage ability, whether it's defending the middle of the field, going one on one against tight ends, or working in the slot. But he also shows a willingness to mix it up in the box.

His college resume does not boast a lot of interceptions, but besides Earl Thomas in 2009, the Texas defense as a whole hasn't had players that come up with a lot of interceptions over the last five or six years. Neither Michael Huff nor Michael Griffin were interception machines at Texas either, and both ended up being Top 20 picks in their respective years, so maybe it's something about what they're asking their safeties to do down there. No clue how accurate that is, just something I noticed when going back and doing some investigating.

The other thing I would consider is that, when Fisher was the head coach in Tennessee, he drafted Griffin out of Texas with the 19th pick in 2007, and watched Griffin earn Pro Bowl accolades as part of his defense. It wouldn't surprise me to see Fisher go back to the Longhorn well and grab another versatile safety for this defense.
    I hear what your saying Ramarkable. I watched a few of the Texas games this last season and he by no means did Kenny jump out of the screen and catch my attention. After watching play wheels of his games ,just watching him specifically, he DOES NOT impress me at all to get drafted in the teens anywhere, or even the early 20's. Of course if Fisher and team do decide to draft him of course I'd support their decision but I don't think at 16 or 22 they would see value in drafting him over a Rambo, Elam, or Reid. I'd want my FS to be even keel at everything. Run support/physical, coverage, and ball hawking/turnovers.... Kinda like O.J. was but with better coverage skills. How many times did we watch Dahl take bad angles or fall short on coverage? I see the same with Vaccarro. I won't say I've done a ton of prospect research this year but the position I have watched alot of film on is S. Watching 6-8 game reels of all the above mentioned S's.

Above all I want someone when you watch them play in college you say " I want him on my team next year, he's a game changer that will fill a need and play at a high level".
    If any of you doubt any of this go to youtube, type and "Kenny Vaccarro vs. Oklahoma State".
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -01-28-2013 at 04:46 PM.
    RAMarkable likes this.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    I hear what your saying Ramarkable. I watched a few of the Texas games this last season and he by no means did Kenny jump out of the screen and catch my attention. After watching play wheels of his games ,just watching him specifically, he DOES NOT impress me at all to get drafted in the teens anywhere, or even the early 20's. Of course if Fisher and team do decide to draft him of course I'd support their decision but I don't think at 16 or 22 they would see value in drafting him over a Rambo, Elam, or Reid. I'd want my FS to be even keel at everything. Run support/physical, coverage, and ball hawking/turnovers.... Kinda like O.J. was but with better coverage skills. How many times did we watch Dahl take bad angles or fall short on coverage? I see the same with Vaccarro. I won't say I've done a ton of prospect research this year but the position I have watched alot of film on is S. Watching 6-8 game reels of all the above mentioned S's.

Above all I want someone when you watch them play in college you say " I want him on my team next year, he's a game changer that will fill a need and play at a high level".
    If any of you doubt any of this go to youtube, type and "Kenny Vaccarro vs. Oklahoma State".
    Excellent post, ZiaRam. I agree completely with your criteria for choosing a future Ram. I want to see something that "pops" out at me from a player. Especially if I am considering him for the first round.

For all I know Vaccaro may well turn out to be that kind of player. Just not seeing it at this point. However, as you have said, if the Rams pick him in the April draft then I am going to be a huge Kenny Vacarro fan.

And, quite frankly, I hope that he proves me to be totally wrong about his abilities.

WHAT SAY YE?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    i don't want to hammer on the guy so much...but i think geno smith is probably the most overrated possible number 1 pick, i've seen nothing that makes him a number one pick
    i know you're not saying he will but since ya brought him up...lol
    With the success of all the young hybrid QB this year in the NFL, you would think he will be the hottest QB coming out this year.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I'd rather the Rams trade down instead of reaching for Fluker at 22nd. Maybe get Vaccaro with the 16th pick and go BPA available with the late 1st rounder we traded down too (possibly Eifert/Ertz, or maybe even a Dion Jordan or Sheldon Richardson slips this far). We can then target Larry Warford and Terrance Williams with our two 2nd rounders.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Im liking the vaccaro pick on mock drafts more and more (if womack isnt there). Btw, do you mean we pick philip thomas with the 51st pick not the redskins? So 2 safeties in the draft for us?
    Last edited by RuffRams; -01-29-2013 at 01:00 AM.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    Im liking the vaccaro pick on mock drafts more and more (if womack isnt there). Btw, do you mean we pick philip thomas with the 51st pick not the redskins? So 2 safeties in the draft for us?
    Think he means the Skins because we don't have their second rounder this year.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Think he means the Skins because we don't have their second rounder this year.
    Till now I was completely under the impression we had the Skins 2nd round pick this year too for some reason. But, regarding the mock draft, I am a fan, and as I mentioned earlier Vaccaro is fast becoming one of my favorite to draft this offseason
    Last edited by RuffRams; -01-29-2013 at 11:09 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12