Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Nick's Post-Super Bowl Two Round NFL Mock Draft

The Super Bowl has come and gone, and with the NFL season finally officially over, it’s time for a new mock! I went in a few different directions this time around, but still a pretty realistic projection, I think. Once the Combine rolls around later this month and pro days begin to appear on the schedule, things will begin to settle a bit, I think, in terms of draft stock. But right now it’s pretty fluid and opinions are more widely varied, which makes for some fun prognostications. Hope you enjoy!

ROUND ONE

1. Carolina Panthers: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
    -This should come down to the two defensive lineman, with A.J. Green or a quarterback as dark horse candidates. It’s probably a toss-up between Fairley and Bowers here, with the status of veteran DE Charles Johnson being the key.

2. Denver Broncos: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
    -The Broncos could very well opt for whichever defensive lineman the Panthers don’t take, but they also have to think about the future of their secondary. With every day that passes, Champ Bailey looks less and less likely to remain a Bronco.

3. Buffalo Bills: Nick Fairley, DL, Auburn
    -Bills GM Buddy Nix is committed to drafting a “franchise impact player,” regardless of position. Fairley is a disruptor who is versatile enough to play the five-technique in Buffalo’s three-man front, so he should get consideration if he’s still available.

4. Cincinnati Bengals: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
    -Unless one of the top defensive players falls to the Bengals here, it’s going to be hard for Cincinnati to pass on the draft’s top wide receiver. With Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco (or is it Johnson again?) likely gone, Green makes too much sense.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M
    -Capitalizing on a strong Senior Bowl week, Von Miller’s name is now being mentioned in the Top 5-10 range of the draft. Arizona could use some additional pass rush help, so his selection here is a perfect fit for the Cardinals.

6. Cleveland Browns: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
    -With the Browns transitioning to a 3-4 defense under new defensive coordinator Dick Jauron, they’re going to need to find a defensive end capable of creating havoc off the edge. Robert Quinn is that kind of player.

7. San Francisco *****: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
    -Nate Clements isn’t getting any younger, and the rest of the *****’ personnel at cornerback is questionable. Jim Harbaugh can likely find another option for the quarterback position, allowing him to go defense here.

8. Tennessee Titans: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
    -A new head coach generally means a new quarterback, especially when your organization has publicly stated they’re going to get rid of the current one. Gabbert and Cam Newton will compete to be the first signal-caller off the board.

9. Dallas Cowboys: Marcell Dareus, DE, Alabama
    -Dallas would have liked to see one of the top defensive backs fall to them here, but they probably won’t be disappointed with Marcell Dareus, who will fit right in on the defensive line of their 3-4 defense.

10. Washington Redskins: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
    -The Donovan McNabb experiment didn’t go so well in Washington, and it sounds like it’s only a matter of time before he’s out. Now, Mike Shanahan will choose a young franchise QB to groom himself. The only question is which prospect he’ll take.

11. Houston Texans: Aldon Smith, LB, Missouri
    -The hiring of Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator means the Texans will shift to the 3-4 defense. They have some intriguing pieces already, but could use another pass rusher off the edge. Aldon Smith figures to be one of the best available.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
    -The range of opinions on Ryan Mallett is wide, and I wouldn’t be shocked to see him slip. But the Vikings are going to be in desperate need of a passer, and Mallet’s combination of size and arm strength will be enticing.

13. Detroit Lions: Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA
    -Positions like cornerback, defensive end, and offensive tackle will get consideration here. But outside linebacker may be the weakest part of the Lions’ defense, and Ayers is a versatile player who can jump into their starting line-up from Day One.

14. St. Louis Rams: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
    -The Rams’ lack of a true #1 wide receiver was evident in 2010, perhaps most of all in the final game of the season. If the Rams want Sam Bradford to take the next step, they’ll need to find a dynamic playmaker to help him.

15. Miami Dolphins: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
    -Either Ronnie Brown or Ricky Williams (or both) will be out of Miami in 2011, meaning Miami is in need of some help in the backfield. Ingram is the draft’s top tailback and makes a lot of sense for the Dolphins in the middle of round one.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
    -Jacksonville has invested first round picks and free agent money into the defensive end position, but they haven’t seen results just yet. Kerrigan is a very intriguing defensive end prospect, and should get consideration from the Jags.

17. New England Patriots (f/OAK): Cameron Jordan, DE, California
    -If Cameron Jordan is still on the board here for the Patriots, they’ll be not only incredibly lucky but very pleased. Jordan looked unblockable at Senior Bowl practices and should find a nice home as a starting five-technique defensive end.

18. San Diego Chargers: J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin
    -The Chargers would have liked to add a pass rusher here, and may consider Georgia’s Justin Houston. But they also have to restock on their defensive line, and Wisconsin’s J.J. Watt should be a good fit at defensive end for them.

19. New York Giants: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
    -The Giants’ offensive line needs an upgrade, and there aren’t many tackles with more potential than Solder. Once he improves his technique, he can take over at left tackle, allowing David Diehl to shift back inside to guard.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
    -The Buccaneers addressed the defensive tackle spot with their first and second round picks of last year’s draft. Now it’s time to invest on the end of the line. Adrian Clayborn has flashed elite ability and could reach his potential playing next to Gerald McCoy.

21. Kansas City Chiefs: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
    -A pass rusher like Justin Houston will get a lot of consideration here, but the Chiefs also know that their personnel on the offensive line could use a boost. Castonzo would be a fine selection as a long-term right tackle for Kansas City.

22. Indianapolis Colts: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
    -The Colts have waited far too long to address their offensive line, and they know it. I expect them to look for help early in the draft, and if a prospect like Gabe Carimi is available, he’ll be hard for Indianapolis to pass up.

23. Philadelphia Eagles: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
    -Don’t be surprised if Colorado’s Jimmy Smith overtakes Harris to be the third cornerback taken in this class. But for right now, I’m sticking with Harris to the Eagles, who need a legitimate starter opposite of Asante Samuel.

24. New Orleans Saints: Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois
    -The Saints could go in a couple different directions here, but shoring up their front seven seems like a good bet. Liuget is good value in the late first round and, alongside Sedrick Ellis, would give New Orleans a great starting duo.

25. Seattle Seahawks: Jake Locker, QB, Washington
    -The local hero comes home. I don’t think the Charlie Whitehurst trade is going to keep the Seahawks from giving Locker a long, hard look if he’s available here. If anything, Seattle’s personnel at the position will allow Locker to sit and learn.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
    -The Ravens could opt to bolster their secondary, but they could also use an upgrade over defensive lineman Cory Redding. Cameron Heyward could potentially be a Top 20 pick, so he’d be fine value here for Baltimore.

27. Atlanta Falcons: Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland
    -A strong Combine performance could help Maryland’s Torrey Smith overtake Jon Baldwin as the third best receiver in this class. Atlanta certainly could use some help at the position, where Roddy White is Matt Ryan’s only consistent target.

28. New England Patriots: Justin Houston, LB, Georgia
    -Houston could be long gone at this point, especially if he blows up the Combine. But if he’s here, he’d be an outstanding choice for the Patriots, as they’re in need of some young talent at the outside linebacker position.

29. Chicago Bears: Tyron Smith, OT, USC
    -Protecting Jay Cutler was a problem area in 2010, and if the Bears want to fix it, they’re going to need to find a legitimate left tackle. Chris Williams was supposed to be that guy, but he’s been a bust. Maybe Tyron Smith can fill the void.

30. New York Jets: Jon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
    -The Jets have all but accepted the fact that they are likely going to lose either Braylon Edwards or Santonio Holmes to free agency, so Pittsburgh’s Jon Baldwin could be an intriguing selection here to help soften that blow.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
    -Besides Ike Taylor, the personnel at cornerback for the Steelers isn’t blowing anyone away, and even Taylor isn’t elite. Colorado’s Jimmy Smith should find a home in the first round, given all of these CB-needy teams.

32. Green Bay Packers: Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois
    -The Super Bowl champions don’t have very many holes to fill, but one area they’d like to improve is linebacker. Illinois’ Martez Wilson has the size (6’4” 250 lbs) and the versatility to find a home in the Green Bay starting line-up.

ROUND TWO

33. New England Patriots (f/CAR): Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
    -The Patriots find some offensive line help at the top of the second round in Sherrod, who could be groomed to take over for Matt Light.

34. Buffalo Bills: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
    -Buffalo did not get much production from their tight ends in 2010, meaning they could use an upgrade at the position.

35. Cincinnati Bengals: Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida
    -Cincinnati continues to try and improve their offense, this time selecting Mike Pouncey to fill their void at right guard.

36. Denver Broncos: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
    -Denver is transitioning to a four-man front, and Paea’s recent injury could cause him to slip here, where he’d be great value.

37. Cleveland Browns: Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami
    -After missing out on A.J. Green in the first round, the Browns come back in round two and take a great prospect in Hankerson.

38. Arizona Cardinals: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
    -This has been a defensive draft for Arizona, first with a front seven player in Von Miller and now with cornerback Aaron Williams.

39. Tennessee Titans: Muhammad Wilkerson, DT, Temple
    -Wilkerson is a versatile defensive lineman who should keep Tennessee from continuing to flirt with the idea of bringing Albert Haynesworth back.

40. Dallas Cowboys: Stefan Wisniewski, C, Penn State
    -Andre Gurode isn’t going to be around forever, so the Cowboys should start preparing someone to take over for him at center.

41. Washington Redskins: Mikel LeShoure, RB, Illinois
    -Defense could be an option here, but it’s hard for the Redskins to pass on LeShoure if he’s on the board in round two.

42. Houston Texans: Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor
    -Houston will continue to look for players for their new 3-4 scheme, this time deciding on a true nose tackle in Taylor.

43. Minnesota Vikings: Rahim Moore, S, UCLA
    -The safety position is in need of an upgrade in Minnesota, so the Vikings will be pleased to see UCLA’s Moore available.

44. Detroit Lions: Rodney Hudson, OG, Florida State
    -The Lions got some pretty decent play out of their offensive line, but right guard is a spot that could definitely be improved upon.

45. San Francisco *****: Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State
    -Harbaugh gets his quarterback in Ponder, who was regularly described at the Senior Bowl as being a fit for the West Coast offense.

46. Denver Broncos (f/MIA): Lance Kendricks, TE, Wisconsin
    -Maybe a bit high for Kendricks, but the Broncos would really like to find an upgrade at the tight end position.

47. St. Louis Rams: Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor
    -Watkins will have a chance to start immediately at right guard, where he’ll play next to Jason Smith, whom he took over for at Baylor.

48. Oakland Raiders: Marcus Cannon, OL, TCU
    -Cannon will get a look at eight guard or right tackle, allowing Bruce Campbell to play wherever he’s more comfortable.

49. Jacksonville Jaguars: Davon House, CB, New Mexico State
    -Rashean Mathis isn’t the player he used to be, so don’t be surprised if the Jaguars look for help in the secondary.

50. San Diego Chargers: Titus Young, WR, Boise State
    -The Chargers won’t be able to keep both Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd, so they’ll need to restock somehow.

51. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina
    -The Buccaneers continue to look towards the defensive side of the ball, where outside linebacker could be a position in need of help.

52. New York Giants: Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State
    -The productive Jones could compete with middle linebacker Jonathan Goff or challenge for a starting job on the outside as well.

53. Indianapolis Colts: Drake Nevis, DT, LSU
    -The Colts’ interior defensive line is nothing to write home about; Nevis would give them a legitimate inside penetrator.

54. Philadelphia Eagles: Quan Sturdivant, LB, North Carolina
    -Impending free agent Stewart Bradley has had trouble staying healthy recently; the Eagles may opt to just go another route.

55. Kansas City Chiefs: Jeremy Beal, LB, Oklahoma
    -Beal looked much more comfortable standing up as a linebacker at the Senior Bowl, which is good news for a 3-4 team like Kansas City.

56. New Orleans Saints: Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech
    -Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush are scheduled for free agency, so the Saints may want to look at some other options for their backfield.

57. Seattle Seahawks: Jurrell Casey, DT, USC
    -It wouldn’t be a surprise if former USC head coach Pete Carroll went back to his old stomping grounds with Casey.

58. Baltimore Ravens: Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
    -Baltimore’s personnel at cornerback has dropped off in recent years, and Dowling has the talent of a first round pick.

59. Atlanta Falcons: Jabaal Sheard, DE, Pittsburgh
    -Sheard gets the nod over Miami’s Allen Bailey, who just continued to look unimpressive during Senior Bowl practices.

60. New England Patriots: Ben Ijalana, OL, Villanova
    -The Patriots added their left tackle of the future in Sherrod, and now grab Ijalana to eventually replace Stephen Neal at right guard.

61. Chicago Bears: Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville
    -Both Zackary Bowman and Tim Jennings are entering contract years, and Charles Tillman isn’t getting any younger.

62. San Diego Chargers (f/NYJ): Brooks Reed, LB, Arizona
    -The Chargers hope that Reed, who played defensive end for Arizona, can solve their pass rush problems as an outside linebacker in the pros.

63. Pittsburgh Steelers: Marcus Gilbert, OL, Florida
    -Gilbert’s versatility will allow the Steelers to fit him into their line-up at eight guard or right tackle, both areas where they could improve.

64. Green Bay Packers: Jerrel Jernigan, WR, Troy
    -Donald Driver just turned 36-years-old and James Jones could be headed to free agency; Jernigan could be dangerous in the slot for Green Bay.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Nick's Post-Super Bowl Two Round NFL Mock Draft

You had me at Julio...

As for Round 2, I'd be really tempted to go with Bruce Carter or Ryan Williams.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

What about Ras-I Dowling. He is a spags-type DB and he can play safety for the Rams he can play up on the line and cover WR.

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

I thought you did a great job in predicting what other teams would do based on their personality and not just their needs.

One of the biggest problems I see pundits make when creating league mocks is only taking into account teams needs. For example, we all know how the Rams feel about character and the four pillars. We aren't going to take a guy with character concerns in the first(a reason why Jones is a good fit, he has good character), in the same way I can't see Denver taking Nick Fairly, they have no interest in him there (something you recognized).

I think, as always, there will be some surprises and some players who are over-drafted due to team needs. Baylor DT Phil Taylor comes to mind (34 D guys want a a sloppy NT), I bet he goes in the first, but not because he belongs there.

Again, I think you did a very good job. Jones and a guard would be great. No complaints here.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You had me at Julio...

As for Round 2, I'd be really tempted to go with Bruce Carter or Ryan Williams.
    Yep, both enticing options in round two as well. Really, I think the Rams will have some good prospects to choose from in the middle of the second round. Should be an exciting start to Day Two.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    What about Ras-I Dowling. He is a spags-type DB and he can play safety for the Rams he can play up on the line and cover WR.
    Maybe that would work well in Madden, but I don't see a great reason for the Rams to give it an actual go, honestly. Unless you're suggesting that Atogwe is going to be moving on, but even then, I suspect there may be other actual safeties who are more intriguing than Dowling making a position change.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerBishop View Post
    I thought you did a great job in predicting what other teams would do based on their personality and not just their needs.

One of the biggest problems I see pundits make when creating league mocks is only taking into account teams needs. For example, we all know how the Rams feel about character and the four pillars. We aren't going to take a guy with character concerns in the first(a reason why Jones is a good fit, he has good character), in the same way I can't see Denver taking Nick Fairly, they have no interest in him there (something you recognized).

I think, as always, there will be some surprises and some players who are over-drafted due to team needs. Baylor DT Phil Taylor comes to mind (34 D guys want a a sloppy NT), I bet he goes in the first, but not because he belongs there.

Again, I think you did a very good job. Jones and a guard would be great. No complaints here.
    Thanks. I tried to approach it using a number of variables - need, value, past precedent. For instance, I think if I put this up on a General NFL board, Redskins fans would probably want a defensive player in the second round, but Shanahan has had past success with second round running backs, they have a need at the position, and the value matches up. So I could see them going that direction. I do agree with you about Taylor; I think he'll probably be overdrafted based on the importance of the position in 3-4 teams. Could sneak into the late first round, but I doubt he escapes the high to mid second.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

47. St. Louis Rams: Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor
    -Watkins will have a chance to start immediately at right guard, where he’ll play next to Jason Smith, whom he took over for at Baylor.

48. Oakland Raiders: Marcus Cannon, OL, TCU
    -Cannon will get a look at eight guard or right tackle, allowing Bruce Campbell to play wherever he’s more comfortable.
    Interesting choice there, Nick. No doubt Watkins is a talented guard who would help the Rams line. But might his age (27) scare away the Rams? And beyond that, IMO, Cannon is the more talented Guard.

Maybe I'm wrong, what do you think?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

Nick et al, if Rahim Moore was available in Round 2, do you think we would take him ahead of one of the guards (and i know it depends on which guard is available). In general, my question is whether you think Moore grades out higher than the guards and whether safety is a comporable position of need to guard (keeping in mind what is or is not likely to be available later in the draft, and further assuming that the Rams have not fullfilled my fantasy of signing Logan Mankins).

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Interesting choice there, Nick. No doubt Watkins is a talented guard who would help the Rams line. But might his age (27) scare away the Rams? And beyond that, IMO, Cannon is the more talented Guard.

Maybe I'm wrong, what do you think?
    I like Cannon as well, but I think Watkins really impressed during Senior Bowl week and turned some heads. Ultimately I think the Rams could have a couple of good options at offensive guard in the second round, if they'd like to look in that direction, even if you take Pouncey out of the equation as a guy who could sneak into the first. That still leaves Watkins, Hudson, Cannon, Ijalana, even Franklin or Gilbert.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Nick et al, if Rahim Moore was available in Round 2, do you think we would take him ahead of one of the guards (and i know it depends on which guard is available). In general, my question is whether you think Moore grades out higher than the guards and whether safety is a comporable position of need to guard (keeping in mind what is or is not likely to be available later in the draft, and further assuming that the Rams have not fullfilled my fantasy of signing Logan Mankins).

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    We'll know by February 21st whether or not a guy like Moore becomes an attractive option for the Rams, since that's the date when Atogwe's $8 million bonus is due. I view Moore as a free safety in the league, so unless the Rams and Atogwe part ways, I'm not sure he'd be a big target for them. But yes, I'd probably value him higher than most if not all of the guard prospects in this class, though not by an exceptional amount mind you.