Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Nick's Post-Underclassman Deadline 2014 NFL First Round Mock Draft

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Post-Underclassman Deadline 2014 NFL First Round Mock Draft

Still not projecting trades at this point, just too early in the process. Constructive criticism and feedback is always welcome!

1. Houston Texans: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
    -The vast likelihood is that this pick is a quarterback, and I still maintain that Bridgewater is the best available. However, don't count Manziel or Bortles out here, either.

2. St. Louis Rams (f/WAS): Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
    -Most expect the Rams to trade down from this spot, which makes a ton of sense. But as I'm not projecting trades, I have them opting for the best combination of value and need. In my opinion, that is Jake Matthews.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Blake Bortles, QB, UCF
    -The Jaguars are going to be tempted to take South Carolina's Jadeveon Clowney if he's available, but they are in desperate need for a quarterback and may find it impossible to pass on one here.

4. Cleveland Browns: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
    -The Browns get their man in Johnny Football, whom the front office in Cleveland is supposedly very enamored by, so much so that they may force him onto a new head coach, whoever that turns out to be.

5. Oakland Raiders: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
    -Oakland would have liked to grab a new franchise quarterback, and may be a contender to trade up to get one. But if they stay here and can nab Clowney, they'll be very pleased with that move.

6. Atlanta Falcons: Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA
    -The Falcons could be in play for a trade up, or they could sit tight and decide between the likely outstanding options left over. While Greg Robinson is tempting to block for Matt Ryan’s blind side, Atlanta desperately needs defensive help.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
    -The Buccaneers strike while the iron is hot and grab Robinson, who is the recipient of a lot of positive buzz right now as a young and very athletic prospect who could ultimately go in the Top 5.

8. Minnesota Vikings: Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    -Minnesota is desperate to end the Christian Ponder era, so don’t be surprised if they’re players in the Quarterback Market this offseason.

9. Buffalo Bills: Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo
    -Mack is simply too good of a match for the Bills to pass up in this projection, providing a significant upgrade over Manny Lawson.

10. Detroit Lions: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
    -Some argue that Watkins is best when he’s playing opposite of another talented wide receiver, and it’s hard to find a more talented receiver to play opposite from than Calvin Johnson.

11. Tennessee Titans: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
    -Both starting tackles in Tennessee are getting long in the tooth, so while defense may get a lot of consideration here, the Titans would be wise to snatch up a tackle, too.

12. New York Giants: C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama
    -The Giants’ linebackers were boosted by the addition of Jon Beason, but they shouldn’t consider their work done just yet. Mosley would give them another young defender to build around.

13. St. Louis Rams: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    -The Rams boasted a talented defensive in 2013, but their secondary was one of the few weaknesses. Safety represents a bigger positional need, but the value at this pick is with cornerback Dennard.

14. Chicago Bears: Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
    -Chicago’s run defense was atrocious in 2013, and they’re looking at some potential turnover in the trenches. Look for them to consider one of the best defensive lineman available with this pick.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    -Adding more weapons to the Steelers offense should be an offseason priority, and right now, the best receiving weapon on the board is Texas A&M’s Mike Evans.

16. Dallas Cowboys: Stephon Tuitt, DL, Notre Dame
    -Tuitt is an intriguing prospect whom I think is going to get looks from 4-3 teams as a penetrating defensive tackle, and if Dallas retains Monte Kiffin, they’re going to need some bigger bodies who can rush the passer on the inside.

17. Baltimore Ravens: Marqise Lee, WR, USC
    -The Ravens let some talented offensive pieces go after their Super Bowl win, and now need to refill the cabinet. Lee is the best available receiver on the board, and makes a lot of sense for a Baltimore team in need of offensive help.

18. New York Jets: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
    -The Jets need to surround Geno Smith with help in 2014, and while there isn’t a receiver on the board now that is great value, they could take a tight end in Ebron instead.

19. Miami Dolphins: Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
    -The Dolphins were unable to resign Jake Long last offseason, and still need to find his replacement at left tackle. If Kouandjio is available here, he’s a no brainer in my book.

20. Arizona Cardinals: Kony Ealy, LB, Missouri
    -Adding some talent to their pass rush should be a priority for Arizona, and Ealy is generating some buzz in that regard after amassing eight sacks and 14 tackles for loss this season.

21. Green Bay Packers: HaSean Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
    -Green Bay’s personnel at safety is awful, and while there’s no guarantee a prospect like Clinton-Dix makes it out of the Top 20, I expect the Packers to pounce if he does.

22. Philadelphia Eagles: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
    -The Eagles' best corner is Bradley Fletcher, and while he's servicable, more help would clearly make a difference. Gilbert could contend to be the first cornerback taken in this draft.

23. Kansas City Chiefs: Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
    -The Chiefs have the ultimate offensive weapon in Jamaal Charles, but adding more receiving options for Alex Smith should be a priority. With the emphasis on athletic tight ends in today’s NFL, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Amaro’s name called early.

24. Cincinnati Bengals: Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State
    -The Bengals can’t count on 35-year-old James Harrison for much longer, and while Vincent Rey is emerging in the middle, another linebacker could be beneficial.

25. San Diego Chargers: Trent Murphy, LB, Stanford
    -San Diego’s pass rush is still a big issue, as they did not boast an outside linebacker in their 3-4 scheme that put up more than three sacks this season. Murphy provides an instant upgrade.

26. Cleveland Browns (f/IND): Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
    -The Browns took a new signal caller with their earlier pick, so they continue to address their offense by picking a weapon for him here. Benjamin has some work to do, but would be dangerous across from Josh Gordon with Jordan Cameron stretching the middle of the field.

27. New Orleans Saints: Vic Beasley, LB, Clemson
    -The Saints have one quality 3-4 pass rusher in Junior Galette, but not much on the other side. Beasley gives them a second weapon from the upright position, and more weapons for their new defensive scheme.

28. Carolina Panthers: Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
    -How much longer can Steve Smith’s career last? Even if he’s around a few more seasons, giving Cam Newton a legitimate weapon opposite Smith should only help his effectiveness.

29. New England Patriots: Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame
    -Vince Wilfork is 32 years old, coming off of a major injury, and is in the final year of his contract. Nix can be groomed to replace him.

30. San Francisco *****: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    -A wide receiver might make sense, but at this point, they may prefer taking the 3rd best corner over the 6th best receiver. Verrett gives San Francisco a necessary boost in their secondary; they can address receiver in the second round.

31. Denver Broncos: Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville
    -The Broncos have some awful personnel at safety, and could really be in need of an upgrade. Pryor gives them the enforcer in the back of their defense that they’ve been lacking.

32. Seattle Seahawks: David Yankey, OG, Stanford
    -Neither starting Seattle guard ranked within Pro Football Focus’ Top 50 at their position. If Seattle wants to continue to be a championship caliber team, they’d be wise to address their effectiveness in the trenches.
    Tampa_Ram and ManofGod like this.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's Post-Underclassman Deadline 2014 NFL First Round Mock Draft

Nick we've talked about this before, and I feel this makes the most sense based on our current need, and I wouldn't be made at both of these young men joining the rams. I'm almost certain we'll trade the #2 pick, but on another note, I'm starting to ponder if we should double up on the o-line much as S.F. did a few years ago.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I like both picks but I really think we'd be reaching on both of them; based on team needs these picks make sense though

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I like both picks but I really think we'd be reaching on both of them; based on team needs these picks make sense though
    On my board, Matthews ranks as a Top 3 prospect and Dennard a Top 15 one, making both of them fine value at those spots.

But if you think they are reaches, how many players in this draft do you have ranked over Matthews? Dennard?

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I could live with it, still don't really want an OT in the 1st, but i understand the pick. Love the Dennard pick, would love to have him. I think the Lions might grab him though, and if they do, i wouldn't mind grabbing Gilbert at #13.

Good job as always Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    On my board, Matthews ranks as a Top 3 prospect and Dennard a Top 15 one, making both of them fine value at those spots.

But if you think they are reaches, how many players in this draft do you have ranked over Matthews? Dennard?
    If the Rams were able to trade down a couple spots and still select Matthews I'd be happier, but if unable to I wouldn't mind selecting him at 2. However, I have Dennard as barely cracking my top-20 and would much rather draft Gilbert, who I think is a better prospect. Honestly, I don't think CB is that much of a need compared to Safety, WR, and OL. With JJ and Trumaine still pretty good corners in my opinion, I think what the Rams need is a good ball-hawking FS to allow them to play bump and run and protect them from getting beat deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    If the Rams were able to trade down a couple spots and still select Matthews I'd be happier, but if unable to I wouldn't mind selecting him at 2. However, I have Dennard as barely cracking my top-20 and would much rather draft Gilbert, who I think is a better prospect. Honestly, I don't think CB is that much of a need compared to Safety, WR, and OL. With JJ and Trumaine still pretty good corners in my opinion, I think what the Rams need is a good ball-hawking FS to allow them to play bump and run and protect them from getting beat deep.
    I agree trading down is always a good thing as long as you get value at your pick, and I do believe that ultimately Snead will strike a deal and draft Matthews at either pick #4 or #6. Now Dennard should be the top ranked CB (barring a horrible showing at the combine). He's physical, and shuts down half of the field; Gilbert is more of a finesse CB who also has return skills (we don't need that since we have Tavon). Not to mention JJ is and always has been inconsistent(even in college), he may prove to be better served in the nickel or on another team after his rookie contract is up. Either way between his play this year & Finnegan's we need CB help. I'd argue that CB is more of a need/priority at pick #13 especially when you think about the fact that Clinton-Dix does not fit the mode of a traditional ball hawk, nor does he show those "ball hawk" INT numbers/plays/skills in college. I've watched a lot of Alabama football and while you see him making tackles all over the field, you don't see the pass break ups/INT's.

I'd also like to add that I am also open to us taking Watkins and then the tackle out of Auburn in the first round. keep in mind that Fisher said that we have to score more points, and running the football is not going to do that especially with the defenses in our conference. The WR has to improve and I mean NOW.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I simply would not take Jake Mathews at 2, and I believe what we do with Saffold will ultimately determine our need at OT.

If he's resigned, I see no need for Jake Mathews, unless we're going to play him at guard, which might be his best position anyway. Even in that case however, I wouldn't take him at 2.

If we absolutely can not find a trade down partner, Clowney would be my selection at 2, if he's there, simply because he'd clearly be the best player available with the most potential impact on the game, IMO.

Don't mind Dennard, but would prefer Kelvin Benjamin at 13 and the best OG available in the 2nd round.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I simply would not take Jake Mathews at 2, and I believe what we do with Saffold will ultimately determine our need at OT.

If he's resigned, I see no need for Jake Mathews, unless we're going to play him at guard, which might be his best position anyway. Even in that case however, I wouldn't take him at 2.

If we absolutely can not find a trade down partner, Clowney would be my selection at 2, if he's there, simply because he'd clearly be the best player available with the most potential impact on the game, IMO.

Don't mind Dennard, but would prefer Kelvin Benjamin at 13 and the best OG available in the 2nd round.
    Question: Benjamin is about as polished as B. Quick....why would we draft him in the first round??

I do admit that I haven't seen Dennard play much on TV, but I was impressed in the couple games I did see. He seems a little short and I just don't think he'd be able to match up with all the tall receivers in the NFC West, maybe I'm wrong though.

Rambos is offline Registered User

How much of a drop off do you see between Ha Ha and Dennard?

I'm a fair guy so here is both the good & the bad on the guy.....

Position:
    Cornerback

Height: 5-11 (so he's probably 5'9" 1/2)
    Weight: 197 (maybe 185 in real life)
    School: Michigan State
    Year: Senior
    Bio (atleast this part is true): Won the Jim Thorpe Award as the nation's best defensive back in 2013, when he finished with 62 tackles (including 3 ˝ for loss), 10 pass breakups and four interceptions. Unanimous first-team All-American. First-team All-Big 10. Nagurski Trophy finalist as the nation's best defensive player. Three-year starter.
    Scout's take: Is incredibly physical, loves to get rough and re-route receivers … specializes in press-man coverage … iS soft-spoken but very competitive on tape and plays with an attitude… played almost exclusively on the boundary, like many top collegiate corners … is very grabby, could face an adjustment period as he learns what he can get away with in the NFL ... is a willing tackler in run support … has very quick hips, can turn and run … long speed a bit of a question, will be interesting to see his 40-yard dash time … has had some injury issues ... quarterbacks learned to stay away from him … has a very high floor as a prospect … may not get much better because he's not a special athlete, but will make an impact from day one.

Read more here: NFL draft profile: Physical Michigan State cornerback plays with chip on shoulder - KansasCity.com

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Cannot be unhappy with the Rams selections we sure up a couple holes

Something I have also noticed:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
    -The Buccaneers strike while the iron is hot and grab Robinson, who is the recipient of a lot of positive buzz right now as a young and very athletic prospect who could ultimately go in the Top 5.
    The guys stock is really rising do you see him making that push to Mathews level...Do you think he would make a good prize for us if we trade out of the Clowney/ Mathews area draft pick (say dropping to #8 trade with MIN)

Itz crazy how two TEs are projected in the first just show how the position is evolving

With that draft the Browns better get an offensive guru cuz it can really take off with the right guys calling plays

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    How much of a drop off do you see between Ha Ha and Dennard?
    Scout's Inc. rates the guys as follows...
    Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma St 92

H. Clinton-Dix* S Alabama 91

Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan St 90

Gilbert is ranked higher due to his return skills/abilities.
    Rambos and Randart like this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Question: Benjamin is about as polished as B. Quick....why would we draft him in the first round??
    Just by virtue of having played his collegiate career against top competiton puts him light years ahead of Brian Quick.

If I'm not mistaken, Brian Quick had a late 2nd or 3rd round grade coming out of Appalachian St., Benjamin has a late 1st. If you don't see an obvious difference there, I don't know what else to say.

Besides that, he's 6'5 234 and has played in the biggest game a college player can play in, and scored the determining TD.

But to answer your question, I would spend a 1st round pick on him because that's likely what it's going to take to get him.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -01-18-2014 at 06:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast