Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Nick's Post-Underclassman Deadline 2014 NFL First Round Mock Draft

  1. #16
    ManofGod's Avatar
    ManofGod is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,517
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Nick's Post-Underclassman Deadline 2014 NFL First Round Mock Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Just by virtue of having played his collegiate career against top competiton puts him light years ahead of Brian Quick.

    If I'm not mistaken, Brian Quick had a late 2nd or 3rd round grade coming out of Appalachian St., Benjamin has a late 1st. If you don't see an obvious difference there, I don't know what else to say.

    Besides that, he's 6'5 234 and has played in the biggest game a college player can play in, and scored the determining TD.

    But to answer your question, I would spend a 1st round pick on him because that's likely what it's going to take to get him.
    So if he has a late first round grade, why potentially "reach" for him and grab him at #13? Currently (unless he sets the world on fire at the combine), he's the 5th rated WR in this years draft based on many scouts takes. Just because he went to FSU & made a great catch doesn't mean he deserves that much of a jump. Keep in mind that he was at FSU last year and didn't look that great....Mr. Winston has alot to do with his success.

    Here are his 2013 stats:
    Kelvin Benjamin 54-catches 1011-yards 18.7-avg. 56-longest reception 15-TD's
    Vinnie25 likes this.


  2. #17
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,510
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Nick's Post-Underclassman Deadline 2014 NFL First Round Mock Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    1. So if he has a late first round grade, why potentially "reach" for him and grab him at #13?

    2. Currently (unless he sets the world on fire at the combine), he's the 5th rated WR in this years draft based on many scouts takes.

    3. Just because he went to FSU & made a great catch doesn't mean he deserves that much of a jump.

    4. Keep in mind that he was at FSU last year and didn't look that great....Mr. Winston has alot to do with his success.

    5. Here are his 2013 stats:
    Kelvin Benjamin 54-catches 1011-yards 18.7-avg. 56-longest reception 15-TD's
    1. Because currently our last 1st round pick is number 13. If it were number 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, or 32 I'd use that pick to select him. Besides "reach" is in the eye of the beholder.

    2. That would make sense if all the WRs in this draft were exactly the same. But obviously, they're not. He may be the 5th rated Wr among draft evaluators, but they're not doing the drafting, nor do they take into account the need or likes of a team.

    For instance, if a team is looking for a multi purpose type receiver they'll likely be looking at Sammy Watkins.

    If they're looking for a big, physical red zone type receiver they'll likely be looking at Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin. So just because he may be the 5th rated receiver overall, it doesn't mean he's not number 1 on certain boards.

    3. Because not one of us knows where the Rams have him on their board, there's no way of knowing if drafting him at 13 is a big jump or not.

    4. Keep in mind, that every receiver has to have someone throwing to him. Tahj Boyd threw to Watkins, Manziel threw to Evans, so I'm not sure I follow your point.

    5. Confused as to why you would post his stat line, but it looks pretty impressive to me. How about you?
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -01-18-2014 at 07:36 PM.

  3. #18
    ManofGod's Avatar
    ManofGod is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,517
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Nick's Post-Underclassman Deadline 2014 NFL First Round Mock Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    1. Because currently our last 1st round pick is number 13. If it were number 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, or 32 I'd use that pick to select him. Besides "reach" is in the eye of the beholder.

    2. That would make sense if all the WRs in this draft were exactly the same. But obviously, they're not. He may be the 5th rated Wr among draft evaluators, but they're not doing the drafting, nor do they take into account the need or likes of a team.

    For instance, if a team is looking for a multi purpose type receiver they'll likely be looking at Sammy Watkins.

    If they're looking for a big, physical red zone type receiver they'll likely be looking at Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin. So just because he may be the 5th rated receiver overall, it doesn't mean he's not number 1 on certain boards.

    3. Because not one of us knows where the Rams have him on their board, there's no way of knowing if drafting him at 13 is a big jump or not.

    4. Keep in mind, that every receiver has to have someone throwing to him. Tahj Boyd threw to Watkins, Manziel threw to Evans, so I'm not sure I follow your point.

    5. Confused as to why you would post his stat line, but it looks pretty impressive to me. How about you?
    My point was where was he last year? He has character issues/concerns which were an issues last year; but hopefully that is behind him now.

    I posted his stat line because he wasn't even in the top 40 WR's in the country (wasnt' even the best WR on his team Greene was)
    Link: 2013 NCAA Division I-A College Football Individual Statistics Leaders for Receiving - ESPN

    However let's look at the full break down on the young man:
    Position: Receiver
    Height: 6-5
    Weight: 234
    School: Florida State
    Year: Redshirt sophomore
    Bio: Caught 54 passes for 1,011 yards and a team-high 15 touchdowns this season, when he was named third-team All-ACC. Ranked fourth on the team with 30 receptions for 495 yards and four touchdowns in 2012. Redshirted in 2011. Only played three years of football in high school. Was the No. 60 overall player as a high school senior, according to Rivals.com.
    Scout's take: Has great feet and good body control … fluid runner for his size … wouldn't be surprised if he runs in the 4.4-4.5s … is raw, only played three years of high school football … seems to be figuring out how good he is, really started to gain confidence as the year went on … wins contested balls … shows the ability to track and high-point the football … had a terrific quarterback, rarely had to adjust to poor throws … drops were an issue, had some concentration lapses … flashes potential as a dominating blocker ... well-spoken in interviews.
    - Jared Counterman, optimumscouting.com




    Read more here: NFL Draft Profile: Is imposing FSU receiver another Jon Baldwin? - KansasCity.com

  4. #19
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,931
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: Nick's Post-Underclassman Deadline 2014 NFL First Round Mock Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    If the Rams were able to trade down a couple spots and still select Matthews I'd be happier
    Well sure, but as I said in the very first sentence, this wasn't a mock projecting trades. So you kind of have to judge it with that mindset.


    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    However, I have Dennard as barely cracking my top-20 and would much rather draft Gilbert, who I think is a better prospect. Honestly, I don't think CB is that much of a need compared to Safety, WR, and OL. With JJ and Trumaine still pretty good corners in my opinion, I think what the Rams need is a good ball-hawking FS to allow them to play bump and run and protect them from getting beat deep.
    I agree that FS is the bigger need, but I think Dennard at this point represents the better value with that selection. Having said that, I'll be closely watching HCD during the Combine to see how he stacks up athletically, as that is going to play a role IMO.


    Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    I'd also like to add that I am also open to us taking Watkins and then the tackle out of Auburn in the first round.
    That'd be a hard option to argue against talent wise, but I think it's unlikely Robinson makes it out of the Top 10, let alone to 13.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    How much of a drop off do you see between Ha Ha and Dennard?
    Not a significant amount, but enough to prefer Dennard at this point in the process. We'll see over time if that opinion stands. I think Jenkins and Johnson have shown potential at corner and certainly give the Rams better personnel right now than what they have at free safety, but neither have been so great that you automatically pass on Dennard, IMO.


    Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Something I have also noticed:

    The guys stock is really rising do you see him making that push to Mathews level...Do you think he would make a good prize for us if we trade out of the Clowney/ Mathews area draft pick (say dropping to #8 trade with MIN)

    Itz crazy how two TEs are projected in the first just show how the position is evolving

    With that draft the Browns better get an offensive guru cuz it can really take off with the right guys calling plays
    1) Robinson is getting a lot of buzz right now; it helps when you're playing in the national title game. I wouldn't be shocked to see him drafted before Matthews, because the league tends to prefer potential and athleticism over great technique but perhaps a perceived limited ceiling. I'd refer you to Jason Smith being selected over Eugene Monroe, and Eric Fisher over Joeckel just last year. I wouldn't be surprised if, in the end, Matthews and Robinson both go Top 5, though some of that will obviously depend on how the QBs are viewed.

    2) Yeah, I think a lot of teams are going to be trying to find that Gronkowski formula, grab a guy who can line up in the slot or wide and is a mismatch nightmare. If one of these two top guys manages to slip to the second round, I don't think he'll last long.

    3) Agreed, and from the sounds of it, they've been looking for them with McDaniels and the Broncos OC. But wisely, they don't seem to be taking that job, which right now looks like a death trap. They brought it on themselves though, for cutting ties with Chud after only a season. How can you expect someone would want to go there after that?
    ManofGod likes this.

  5. #20
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,510
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Nick's Post-Underclassman Deadline 2014 NFL First Round Mock Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    My point was where was he last year? He has character issues/concerns which were an issues last year; but hopefully that is behind him now.

    I posted his stat line because he wasn't even in the top 40 WR's in the country (wasnt' even the best WR on his team Greene was)
    Link: 2013 NCAA Division I-A College Football Individual Statistics Leaders for Receiving - ESPN

    However let's look at the full break down on the young man:
    Position: Receiver
    Height: 6-5
    Weight: 234
    School: Florida State
    Year: Redshirt sophomore
    Bio: Caught 54 passes for 1,011 yards and a team-high 15 touchdowns this season, when he was named third-team All-ACC. Ranked fourth on the team with 30 receptions for 495 yards and four touchdowns in 2012. Redshirted in 2011. Only played three years of football in high school. Was the No. 60 overall player as a high school senior, according to Rivals.com.
    Scout's take: Has great feet and good body control … fluid runner for his size … wouldn't be surprised if he runs in the 4.4-4.5s … is raw, only played three years of high school football … seems to be figuring out how good he is, really started to gain confidence as the year went on … wins contested balls … shows the ability to track and high-point the football … had a terrific quarterback, rarely had to adjust to poor throws … drops were an issue, had some concentration lapses … flashes potential as a dominating blocker ... well-spoken in interviews.
    - Jared Counterman, optimumscouting.com




    Read more here: NFL Draft Profile: Is imposing FSU receiver another Jon Baldwin? - KansasCity.com
    Don't know where he was last year. Didn't even know who he was last year, but after this year, that is irrelevant IMO.

    "What have you done for me lately", will always rule the day.

    The fact that I have heard nothing of his supposed "character flaws", tells me they're likely much ado about nothing.

    If however, they prove to be significant, I'm sure teams will take them into account.

    My strong support of Benjamin is more because he represents something we do not currently have in our receiving corps. A big, strong, physical and potentially dominant receiver.

    Not because I think he's the best receiver in the draft. So pointing out that his stat line doesn't make the top 40, is irrelevant. If they didn't make the top 100 it would mean absolutely nothing to me, because obviously, stats aren't everything.

    You do realize however, that if he brought that same stat line to the Rams, he'd be our leading receiver and in the conversation for a probowl berth?

    Just sayin'

  6. #21
    Vinnie25's Avatar
    Vinnie25 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    804
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Nick's Post-Underclassman Deadline 2014 NFL First Round Mock Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Don't know where he was last year. Didn't even know who he was last year, but after this year, that is irrelevant IMO.

    "What have you done for me lately", will always rule the day.

    The fact that I have heard nothing of his supposed "character flaws", tells me they're likely much ado about nothing.

    If however, they prove to be significant, I'm sure teams will take them into account.

    My strong support of Benjamin is more because he represents something we do not currently have in our receiving corps. A big, strong, physical and potentially dominant receiver.

    Not because I think he's the best receiver in the draft. So pointing out that his stat line doesn't make the top 40, is irrelevant. If they didn't make the top 100 it would mean absolutely nothing to me, because obviously, stats aren't everything.

    You do realize however, that if he brought that same stat line to the Rams, he'd be our leading receiver and in the conversation for a probowl berth?

    Just sayin'
    I like Benjamin but even you got to admit that he's still a work in progress, which is not what the Rams need. With Brian Quick still learning on the job, the Rams need someone who can come right in and perform. Now if KB were to go to the combine and absolutely kill it, then I'd feel a little bit more comfortable drafting him
    ManofGod likes this.

  7. #22
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,189
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Nick's Post-Underclassman Deadline 2014 NFL First Round Mock Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I like Benjamin but even you got to admit that he's still a work in progress, which is not what the Rams need. With Brian Quick still learning on the job, the Rams need someone who can come right in and perform. Now if KB were to go to the combine and absolutely kill it, then I'd feel a little bit more comfortable drafting him
    The combine should not change anything. If Benjamin is going to succeed in the NFL it's not going to be because of a great combine. If he isn't ready to preform right away and needs time to learn how does a combine change that at all?
    Fortuninerhater and ManofGod like this.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  8. #23
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,510
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Nick's Post-Underclassman Deadline 2014 NFL First Round Mock Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I like Benjamin but even you got to admit that he's still a work in progress, which is not what the Rams need. With Brian Quick still learning on the job, the Rams need someone who can come right in and perform. Now if KB were to go to the combine and absolutely kill it, then I'd feel a little bit more comfortable drafting him
    I think all prospects are a work in progress, and not even the greatest among them is guaranteed anything. So whether it's what we need or not, it's what we're going to get no matter who we draft.

    That said, GM Les Snead has recently stated that he doesn't think we need a number one WR.

    Don't know if that's a smoke screen or not, but it may render this discussion moot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Nick's First 2014 7-Round Rams Mock Draft
    By Nick in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: -01-09-2014, 04:57 AM
  2. Nick's Post-Trade First Round Mock Draft
    By Nick in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: -03-11-2012, 11:54 AM
  3. Nick's Post-Underclassman First Round Mock
    By Nick in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -01-28-2011, 06:07 PM
  4. Replies: 25
    Last Post: -03-27-2006, 01:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •