Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Pre-Combine Three Round Mock Draft

Along with my own thoughts about these prospects, I referred to five different sets of online rankings when making this projection. I tried to address team needs when possible but also took value into consideration. In regard to the team jerseys, I consulted team rosters to try and find available numbers; some numbers are currently taken by soon to be free agents. I expect some fans to be more happy about the projection than others, and I tried to provide some insight into what I was thinking for each pick in an attempt to justify everything. All in all for a pre-combine first day mock, I'm pretty satisfied for the way it turned out. Hope you enjoy!

ROUND ONE

1. Oakland Raiders: JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU

I think the Raiders would be well served going with Calvin Johnson here as well, because it looks as though Randy Moss and perhaps even Jerry Porter could be on the way out in Oakland. But despite playing behind a porous line, neither Aaron Brooks nor Andrew Walter looked like long-term answers at the quarterback position, so I think Russell is ultimately the pick here. It also doesn't hurt that the Raiders met with Tom Martinez, who was recently hired to work with Russell.

2. Detroit Lions: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson

The Lions could really use a franchise quarterback, so Brady Quinn is an option here. As is Joe Thomas, because if there's one thing a Mike Martz offensive scheme needs, it's quality protection. But Mike Martz isn't the head coach; Rod Marinelli is. And with a background in the Tampa 2 scheme, Marinelli understands how important the pass rush is to the success of his defense. I envision Rod building his team from the trenches and looking at a quick pass rushing end like Gaines Adams in round one.

3. Cleveland Browns: Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma

Romeo Crennel nearly lost his job after the 2006 campaign, and even though he stayed employed in Cleveland, you have to think that the leash is short and if he doesn't produce this season he's out the door. The defensive line is aging but it's likely too high to seriously think about Alan Branch. Joe Thomas is an option as well, but I believe the player that's likely going to give them the most immediate help at a position that needs upgrading is Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson.

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Calvin Johnson, WR, GA Tech

It'll be hard to pass up on a tackle like Joe Thomas, but if you're going to let Thomas pass by, it's because there's a Calvin Johnson on the table. Johnson is very easily worth the #1 pick in this draft, and could be selected by the Raiders first overall. With 35-year-old Joey Galloway as their leading receiver and Michael Clayton failing to climb out of the slump he's been in for two years now, the Buccaneers would be wise to select him at fourth overall.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin

A dream come true scenario for the Cardinals would be for Thomas to fall to them at the five spot, and that's exactly what I project will happen. The Cardinals seem content to let offensive tackle Leonard Davis test the free agent market, and he's likely to sign elsewhere. And while the left tackle position is not the blindside protector for left-handed Matt Leinart, the Cardinals need to improve their ability to protect their franchise quarterback from all angles.

6. Washington Redskins: Alan Branch, DT, Michigan

With both Branch and Anderson on the board, I anticipate this will be a hard decision for Washington as they could use an upgrade all across their line. But the Redskins just signed Andre Carter last spring and always find a way to make some moves in free agency, where there look to be a number of talented ends, which means I believe Alan Branch is the pick here. Branch should be an immediate starter on an interior defensive line that is manned by two aging starters and what can only be described as questionable depth.

7. Minnesota Vikings: Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas

Selecting Anderson here would make for the Vikings' third first-round defensive end in the last four years (that sounded convuluted), but at this point I think he's the only option if they stay put in this spot. Assuming they can't trade down, Minnesota really has only three options - take Anderson and try to improve upon a weak pass rush, take Quinn and give up on first-year quarterback Tavaris Jackson, or reach for a receiver. In my book, taking Anderson is the right move if a trade cannot be orchestrated.

8. Houston Texans: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame

Through the first few weeks of the 2006 season, David Carr got off to a fairly good start under new head coach Gary Kubiak. But things went sour quickly, and once again, Texans fans are left to wonder if Carr really is their franchise quarterback, especially considering the recent rumors about Carr being shopped to other teams for anywhere from a second to fifth round pick. Quinn could go as high as first or second pick, and may be too tempting to pass up if available here.

9. Miami Dolphins: Levi Brown, OT, Penn State

If the Dolphins expect Daunte Culpepper to find success in 2007, they'll have to do a better job protecting him; Culpepper was sacked 21 times in four games, and while not all of that falls on the shoulders of the line, improvements can certainly be made. Levi Brown is clearly the second best offensive lineman in this draft, and while there are some concerns as to whether or not he's truly a left tackle at the next level, reports from the Senior Bowl indicated that NFL scouts left at week's end thinking he could in fact play on the blindside.

10. Atlanta Falcons: Reggie Nelson, S, Florida

In what certainly can't be considered a shocking development, Pro Football Weekly reported in late January that the Falcons are targeting a free safety with their first pick in the 2007 draft with the intention of moving Chris Crocker to strong safety. Florida's Reggie Nelson and LSU's LaRon Landry have been battling it out for the #1 safety spot on draft boards across the country, but in the end I suspect the Falcons will give the playmaking Nelson the nod.

11. San Francisco *****: LaRon Landry, S, LSU

I have no doubt that the ***** would prefer to address their defensive front seven with this selection, either by looking at a lineman or an inside linebacker to fit in their 3-4 defense. But frankly, I'm not convinced the value for either of those areas is good here, leading me to believe they'll look elsewhere. And while both Keith Lewis and Mark Roman signed recent contract extensions, I'm not convinced that that's a statement that San Francisco wouldn't take at top safety like Landry if given the opportunity.

12. Buffalo Bills: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville

If you would have asked me a couple of weeks ago whether or not I thought defensive tackle might be an area that Buffalo would address in the first round, I likely would have said no. After all, the Bills drafted (and as some might say "reached for") John McCargo in the bottom of the first round just last season. But when you're faced with a young talent like Amobi Okoye and your defensive scheme is dependent on being able to collapse the pocket from the inside, you don't think twice about taking the interior lineman here.

13. St. Louis Rams: Lawrence Timmons, OLB, Florida State

The Rams have bigger needs on the defensive line, but will likely try to address most of them in free agency. At SAM linebacker, Brandon Chillar was adequate but can be upgraded. Lawrence Timmons will likely fly up draft boards with a good showing at the combine. He has a knack for disrupting plays behind the line (18 TFL in 2007), and also has the size and athleticism the Rams need in a player who will be asked to cover tight ends like Vernon Davis, Leonard Pope, and Jerramy Stevens.

14. Carolina Panthers: Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC

Carolina would have liked to get one of the top safeties here but both are off the board. Patrick Willis is certainly an option, but it seems as if Keyshawn Johnson is mulling over a decision as to whether or not to keep playing football now that Dan Henning has been fired. If Johnson does decide to hang it up, then wide receiver jumps up the list of needs for the Panthers. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they address it here by drafting a tall playmaker like Dwayne Jarrett.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska

After a disappointing start to his senior season, there was speculation as to whether or not Adam Carriker even belonged in the first round. Now, after a strong college finish and incredibly dominant showing at the Senior Bowl, Carriker has seemingly all but locked up the #3 defensive end spot and secured himself as a mid first round pick. Because of his ability to play end in the 3-4 scheme, I don't think he'll last very long on draft day.

16. Green Bay Packers: Marshawn Lynch, RB, California

At season's end, Green Bay ranked 23rd in both rushing yards per game and rushing touchdowns. Ahman Green, a free agent this spring, barely eclipsed the 1,000-yard mark and could be playing elsewhere in 2007. Texans castoff Vernand Morency and late rounder Noah Herron sit behind Green on the depth chart, and I don't think either provide much confidence for the future of the running game. With his legal troubles seemingly behind him, Cal running back Marshawn Lynch makes all the sense in the world.

17. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida

Going into the 2007 season, the Jacksonville Jaguars have some uncertainty surrounding the defensive end position. Reggie Hayward was productive as a first-year Jaguar in 2005 but missed most of the season with an Achilles' injury and is still recovering. Bobby McCray replaced him and was productive, but is a restricted free agent this year. On the other side, Paul Spicer will turn 32. Florida's Jarvis Moss is shooting up draft boards and could find himself landing only a few hours upstate.

18. Cincinnati Bengals: Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh

Even though the Bengals drafted Jonathan Joseph in round one last year, given the situation I think Revis makes a lot of sense. ESPN's John Clayton is reporting that the Bengals could release Deltha O'Neal, and it appears that Cincinnati is not going to bring Tory James back either. There's talk about moving Madieu Williams to corner, but I think he's better served staying at safety. Revis would pair with Joseph to make an oustanding young combo for the foreseeable future.

19. Tennessee Titans: Ted Ginn Jr, WR, Ohio State

Tennessee will have a hard time deciding between Ginn and one of the top cornerbacks on the board. But with approximately $33 million in cap room, the Titans could very well make a run at a veteran cornerback when free agency hits. Furthermore, Pacman Jones, Reynaldo Hill, and Andre Woolfolk are all relatively young themselves. For those reasons, I expect the Titans to choose Ginn in this situation and give "Pro Bowl" quarterback Vince Young another offensive weapon to utilize.

20. New York Giants: Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi

The Giants recently cut linebackers LaVar Arrington and Carlos Emmons, and outside of Antonio Pierce, the rest of their personnel at the position looks questionable and can be upgraded. Linebacker will likely be an important cog in Steve Spagnuolo's defensive plans, so a playmaker and Butkus award winner like Patrick Willis makes a lot of sense to me. Willis is a tackling machine who was all over the field at the Senior Bowl and could potentially play anywhere the Giants ask him to.

21. Denver Broncos: Charles Johnson, DE, Georgia

Starting defensive ends Ebenezer Ekuban (30) and Kenard Lang (32) are getting up there in age, and while both had decent seasons, the Broncos would like to make some improvements on the edges of their line. Converted linebacker Patrick Chukwurah provided some pass rush help but is scheduled for free agency. Elvis Dumervil produced as a situational player, but grabbing another talented end like Charles Johnson in the first round would go a long ways towards getting younger at the position.

22. Dallas Cowboys: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan

Dallas isn't getting any help from Pro Bowl safety Roy Williams in the coverage department, and fifth round pick Pat Watkins couldn't get the job done when they tried him out in 2006. If the rumor about moving CB Anthony Henry to free safety is accurate, then the Cowboys will need to find someone to start at corner next to Terrance Newman. Leon Hall's stock has supposedly been slipping out of the Top 20 range, but he'd make for a nice pick here.

23. Kansas City Chiefs: Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU

Year in and year out, fans always talk about how the Chiefs need to go out and get some help at receiver, and every year is seems like they balk at the strategy. With this year's wide receiver class though, perhaps they'll reconsider. Kennison is running out of gas, Parker has yet to take that next step, and Hall has always had a limited offensive role. The bottom line is the Chiefs could use the talent of Dwayne Bowe, the best senior receiver in this class.

24. New England Patriots (f/SEA): Anthony Spencer, OLB, Purdue

The Patriots always seem to make due with their personnel at linebacker, but this year might be different. When the season starst, Mike Vrabel (32), Roosevelt Colvin (30), and Tedy Bruschi (34) will all be in their 30's. If Junior Seau returns, heíll be a whopping 38-years-old. Furthermore, the Patriots are at risk of losing Tully Banta-Cain in free agency. Thus, adding a young linebacker such as Spencer should be an offseason goal for New England.

25. New York Jets: Aaron Ross, CB, Texas

Cornerback is not the biggest need on the Jets, but given what's on the board, I think it's the way they'd end up picking. Andre Dyson is a solid player but Hank Poteat can definitely be upgraded and David Barrett may end up being cut. Justin Miller began the season in the starting line-up but by November he was relegated to a back-up role. This secondary needs a playmaker, and while the Jets very well could find that player in free agency, I wouldn't rule out their taking Ross here.

26. Philadelphia Eagles: Michael Griffin, S, Texas

I'm not entirely sold that Griffin provides the best value for the Eagles at this spot in the draft, but I think if the Texas safety is on the board he could very well be the pick. Brian Dawkins remains one of the best free safeties in the league but will turn 34-years-old this season and back-up Quintin Mikell could leave as an unrestricted free agent this spring. The future of the position is certainly an issue and may cause Philadelphia to reach a bit for Griffin.

27. New Orleans Saints: Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State

The Saints may have just signed linebacker Scott Shanle to a contract extension, but if there's one word I can think of to describe the Saints linebackers as a whole, it's the word pedestrian. The combination of Shanle, Scott Fujiti, and Mark Simoneau sounds more like the Land of Misfit Players than it does a starting linebacker unit in the NFL. Improvements need to be made if the Saints want to go deeper into the post-season, and that starts by adding a true football player in Posluszny.

28. New England Patriots: Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina

Bill Belichick decided last season that Deion Branch wasn't worth spending money on, and traded him to Seattle. In the end, the Patriots could have used a quality receiver in the playoffs after Reche Caldwell dropped two key passes in the playoffs. Of the top eight receivers on the Patriots squad in 2006, only three were receivers, and one of those receivers is no longer in New England. To me, that smells like the ideal situation for an upgrade, making Sidney Rice the pick here.

29. Baltimore Ravens: Victor Abiamiri, DE, Notre Dame

Baltimore's depth at defensive end is questionable at best, especially if they end up losing Jarret Johnson to free agency this spring. Despite being productive as a first year Raven, Trevor Pryce will be 32-years-old in August, and if Adalius Thomas leaves via free agency, the Ravens will have lost quite a bit of pass rush production as Thomas accumulated 11 sacks in 2006. Adding Victor Abiamiri, whom Baltimore talked to in Mobile, would be a step in the right direction.

30. San Diego Chargers: Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee

Neither Keenan McCardell nor Eric Parker caught a touchdown pass all year. While that may be more of a statement about San Diego's other weapons, I certainly think improvements can be made. McCardell is living off fumes at this point in his career and Eric Parker hasn't convinced me he's a #1 receiver in this league. While Vincent Jackson offers potential as a tall receiver who excels in the red zone, I think the Chargers would benefit from adding a speedy guy like Meachem to stretch the field.

31. Chicago Bears: Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan

It may take a while for Chicago to get over that heart breaking Super Bowl loss, but it's never too soon to plan for the future. And that future begins by examining the situation at tackle, where starters John Tait (32) and Fred Miller (34) are scheduled to make nearly $7.5 million in salary next season. On top of that high cost, the depth behind them can be improved upon. Joe Staley is an impressive tackle prospect who could come to Chicago and learn from two veterans before taking over on either side.

32. Indianapolis Colts: Jon Beason, OLB, Miami

The Colts are looking at about $2 million in salary cap room going into free agency. They'd like to be able to retain defensive end Dwight Freeney but they may have to do so using the $8+ million franchise tag. Needless to say it's hard to imagine that Indianapolis can keep some of their other free agents if that's the route they take. Among those players likely to leave is linebacker Cato June. Finding a replacement for him, like the athletic Jon Beason perhaps, could be a draft priority.

ROUND TWO

33. Oakland Raiders: Ryan Kalil, C, USC
    The Raiders need help all over the offensive line, and new head coach Lane Kiffin could be tempted to take someone he's familiar with in Kalil.

34. Detroit Lions: Ben Grubbs, OG, Auburn[/SIZE]
    With DeMulling and possibly Woody on the way out, the Lions will continue to build the trenches by drafting someone to man the interior offensive line.

35. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Daymeion Hughes, CB, California
    Barber and Kelly are in their 30s and there isn't much depth. Safety might be a bigger need but Hughes would excel in the Tampa 2.

36. Cleveland Browns: DeMarcus Tyler, DT, NC State
    Cleveland's entire defensive line could be upgraded, and it starts by taking Tyler; a bit of a reach but will be groomed to replace Washington.

37. New York Jets (F/WAS): Justin Blalock, OL, Texas
    The combination of D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, and Justin Blalock will give New York an impressive young offensive line to build around.

38. Arizona Cardinals: Brandon Meriweather, S, Miami
    Adrian Wilson is one of the best strong safeties in the league but he needs help. Meriweather is an instant upgrade over Robert Griffith @ FS.

39. Houston Texans: Arron Sears, OG, Tennessee
    The Texans have allowed 40+ sacks for the past three seasons so clearly upgrades can be made; Sears could play at multiple positions for Houston.

40. Miami Dolphins: Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas[/SIZE]
    The Dolphins should certainly be in the market to upgrade the cornerback position, and Houston is a prospect who seems to be rising up draft boards.

41. Minnesota Vikings: Greg Olsen, TE, Miami
    Jermaine Wiggins saw a drop in production and Jim Kleinsasser was a non-factor as an offensive weapon. Olsen gives Childress' offense a nice receiving target.

42. San Francisco *****: Quentin Moses, OLB, Georgia
    The ***** need to find another 3-4 outside linebacker if they want to run the scheme; Moses will likely have to make that transition.

43. Buffalo Bills: Brandon Siler, LB, Florida
    London Fletcher-Baker is leaving as a free agent and Takeo Spikes is recovering from injury; Siler could play inside or outside for the Bills.

44. Atlanta Falcons: Michael Bush, RB, Louisville
    Not their biggest need, but with Dunn aging and Norwood banged up in limited time, I think Bush is too tempting for Petrino to pass up.

45. Carolina Panthers: David Harris, MLB, Michigan
    Dan Morgan helped out by restructuring his contract, but that doesn't change the fact that he can't seem to stay on the field.

46. Pittsburgh Steelers: LaMarr Woodley, OLB, Michigan
    Woodley has experience as a rush linebacker in the 3-4 and could excel there for a team like Pittsburgh, who certainly needs youth at the position.

47. Green Bay Packers: Zach Miller, TE, Arizona State
    With Franks declining and both Martin and Lee heading towards free agency, the Packers need to find themselves a tight end of the future.

48. Jacksonville Jaguars: Craig Davis, WR, LSU
    If Jacksonville doesn't address the receiver position in free agency, then Davis could be a nice pick for them in the second round.

49. Cincinnati Bengals: Eric Weddle, S, Utah
    The Bengals continue to add youth to a secondary in need of help by taking Weddle to play next to Madieu Williams at safety.

50. Tennessee Titans: Tim Crowder, DE, Texas
    The Titans amassed only 26 sacks in 2007, the most being 6.5 from Kyle Vanden Bosch. Crowder stepped up his pass rush as a senior.

51. New York Giants: Josh Wilson, CB, Maryland
    Madison and McQuarters are aging, and the Giants need to find a young athlete to pair with Corey Webster as their future starting duo.

52. St. Louis Rams: Justin Harrell, DT, Tennessee
    The Rams need to improve their 31st-ranked run defense; Harrell could go earlier but would be a step in the right direction if available.

53. Dallas Cowboys: Anthony Gonzalez, WR, Ohio State
    It sounds as if Terrell Owens will be back in 2007, but that doesn't change the fact that Dallas needs some young blood at receiver.

54. Kansas City Chiefs: Tony Ugoh, OT, Arkansas
    When Kyle Turley and the "retired" John Welbourn see significant time on your offensive line, it should be clear that improvements can be made.

55. Seattle Seahawks: Josh Beekman, OG, Boston College
    The Seahawks definitely missed Steve Hutchinson in 2006; Beekman is slipping but for Seattle he could be too tempting to pass up.

56. Denver Broncos: Aaron Rouse, SS, Virginia Tech
    Denver needs youth at the safety position, and Rouse is the kind of player who could flourish under John Lynch's mentorship.

57. Philadelphia Eagles: Brian Leonard, FB, Rutgers
    Westbrook had a breakout year but needs someone to help share the load; Leonard will give Phily the 1-2 punch that successful teams need.

58. New Orleans Saints: Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno State
    McCauley had a disappointing senior season but he has all the physical tools you look for and the Saints clearly need some help at corner.

59. New York Jets: Ikaika Alama-Francis, DE, Hawaii
    With a good combination of size and athleticism, Alama-Francis would be a nice addition to Mangini's 3-4 defensive scheme.

60. New England Patriots: Jonathan Wade, CB, Tennessee
    Tagging Asante doesn't mean they shouldn't continue to improve a secondary that featured Artrell Hawkins, Ray Mickens, Chad Scott, and occasionally Troy Brown.

61. Baltimore Ravens: Kenny Irons, RB, Auburn
    Irons helped his stock at the Senior Bowl and would be a nice pick for Baltimore, who will likely part ways with Jamal Lewis this offseason.

62. San Diego Chargers: John Wendling, S, Wyoming
    The versatile Wendling has good size and speed and should shine in workouts; SS Kiel is likely a goner due to legal problems.

63. Chicago Bears: Brandon Mebane, DT, California
    Ian Scott and Alfonso Boone are free agents, and Tank Johnson's future is up in the air after recently pleading guilty to a probation violation.

64. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (F/IND): Rufus Alexander, OLB, Oklahoma
    Alexander brings the athleticism and speed needed to excel in the Tampa 2, and could be groomed to be Derrick Brooks' heir.

ROUND THREE

65. Oakland Raiders: Tony Hunt, RB, Penn State
    LaMont Jordan hasn't lived up to the sizable contract he got back in 2005 and Fargas will be entering a contract year.

66. Detroit Lions: Tanard Jackson, DB, Syracuse
    What Tanard Jackson lacks in speed he makes up for in physicality; he'd be an excellent fit in Marinelli's Tampa 2 scheme.

67. Cleveland Browns: Troy Smith, QB, Ohio State
    The local hero says he'd like to play for Cleveland; neither Charlie Frye nor Derek Anderson have exactly locked down the job.

68. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Marcus Thomas, DT, Florida
    Thomas is in for a draft day slip due to off the field trouble but Tampa desperately needs some three-technique talent.

69. Arizona Cardinals: Earl Everett, OLB, Florida
    Arizona has Karlos Dansby and Gerald Hayes but need the third piece of the puzzle, making Everett a likely choice.

70. Denver Broncos (f/WAS): Quinn Pitcock, DT, Ohio State
    Pitcock is a hard working interior lineman who, though slipping a bit, should get some consideration from Denver here.

71. Miami Dolphins: Ray McDonald, DL, Florida
    At 6'3" and 282 pounds, McDonald has the ability to play 4-3 tackle or 3-4 end for Miami; really is great value here.

72. Minnesota Vikings: Johnnie Lee Higgins, WR, UTEP
    Minnesota is severely lacking at receiver; Higgins has great explosiveness and may go earlier with a good combine.

73. Houston Texans: Stewart Bradley, LB, Nebraska
    Five linebackers are scheduled for free agency, and Bradley would be an excellent fit for Houston at SAM linebacker.

74. Buffalo Bills: Antonio Pittman, RB, Ohio State
    McGahee wants a new deal but might not even be with the team in 2007; even if he is, Levy says there will be competition.

75. Atlanta Falcons: Dan Bazuin, DE, Central Michigan
    It seems likely that Patrick Kerney hits free agency in March, making defensive end a large need for the Falcons.

76. San Francisco *****: Ryan McBean, DL, Oklahoma State
    McBean is a nice 3-4 defensive end prospect, making him a logical choice for a team that needs to find pieces for the scheme.

77. Pittsburgh Steelers: Marshall Yanda, OL, Iowa
    Yanda has experience at both guard and tackle; this unit as a whole took a step back in 2006, allowing 17 more sacks than in 2005.

78. Green Bay Packers: Eric Wright, CB, UNLV
    Green Bay just recently extended Al Harris and they have Woodson as well, but there's little depth behind either of them.

79. Jacksonville Jaguars: Drew Stanton, QB, Michigan State
    Reports indicate Leftwich isn't happy, Garrard was hot and cold as a replacemet, and one of them could be gone in 2007.

80. Cincinnati Bengals: FORFEITED (Ahmad Brooks)

81. Tennessee Titans: Buster Davis, ILB, Florida State
    Starting middle linebacker Peter Sirmon may not be back as the Titans look to get younger on the defensive side of the ball.

82. New York Giants: Lorenzo Booker, RB, Florida State
    With Tiki Barber retired, the Giants will likely look for another back to share the backfield with Brandon Jacobs.

83. St. Louis Rams: Chansi Stuckey, WR, Clemson
    Stuckey is raw but can learn behind Holt and Bruce while bringing an immediate impact as a return man.

84. Carolina Panthers: Michael Johnson, S, Arizona
    Johnson could be groomed as the future free safety behind Minter or compete for the strong safety job.

85. Kansas City Chiefs: Kareem Brown, DT, Miami
    Both Ron Edwards and James Reed are free agents, and Brown has the size teams look for and can get pressure from inside.

86. Seattle Seahawks: Scott Chandler, TE, Iowa
    Jerramy Stevens and Will Heller are free agents; even if Stevens returns they need more depth.

87. Denver Broncos: Doug Free, OT, Northern Illinois
    Lepsis is 33 and recovering from a torn ACL, and the athletic Free should be a good fit in Denver's blocking scheme.

88. Dallas Cowboys: Manuel Ramirez, OG, Texas Tech
    The Cowboys will likely have to find some depth at guard, as Marco Rivera turns 35 in April and has injury concerns.

89. New Orleans Saints: Ben Patrick, TE, Delaware
    Patrick showed off his good hands and helped his stock both at the East-West Shrine Game and the Senior Bowl.

90. New York Jets: Brandon Jackson, RB, Nebraska
    Despite a lack of starting experience, Jackson could be the Jets' long-term answer now that Curtis Martin has retired.

91. Philadelphia Eagles: Anthony Waters, MLB, Clemson
    It's hard to gauge Waters' stock, but he might be worth a look late on Day One to groom behind Trotter.

92. New England Patriots: H.B. Blades, ILB, Pittsburgh
    Blades doesn't have ideal physical tools but he's a tough intelligent player who is also a respected defensive leader.

93. Baltimore Ravens: James Marten, OT, Boston College
    Marten had an impressive week in Mobile and Boston College is known for pumping out offensive linemen.

94. San Diego Chargers: Samson Satele, G/C, Hawaii
    Satele, who can play guard, could be on San Diego's radar if the Chargers lose Kris Dielman to free agency.

95. Chicago Bears: Sabby Piscitelli, SS, Oregon State
    Mike Brown has played in just 20 games over the last three seasons and Todd Johnson is a free agent this spring.

96. Indianapolis Colts: Michael Coe, CB, Alabama State
    Indy may not have the cap room to retain their own DBs; Coe is a small school corner on the rise.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-19-2007 at 02:28 PM. Reason: College mix-up

RamsFan16 Guest

Re: Nick's Pre-Combine Three Round Mock Draft

- Round 1:
    I love Timmons, but would prefer Willis over him if Willis is there.

- Round 2:
    Love Harrell think he is going to be a beast and follow the foot steps of John Henderson.

- Round 3:
    Know nothing about this guy.

chiguy is offline Registered User

The only way we select Timmons over Carricker, I'd think, is if we sign a FA defensive end. With this draft being so deep at that position, it looks like we might do that anyway -- strike while the iron is hot, as they say.

Chillar might look OK with a good line in front of him afterall.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Excellent thread. Thanks Nick.

I'm hoping Okoye falls to us.

general counsel is offline Registered User

nick, assume for a second that okoye is on the board when we pick, would you take him ahead of timmons.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

snowbozo21 Guest

I like the first two picks of Timmons and Harrell a lot. They are really solid and help fill some needs. I don't like the pick of Stuckey. I think we would only draft him because of his size. We could probably get the samething in the 4th with Breaston; minus the size. I noticed you had Kareem Brown to the Chiefs . I think we could pick him up with our third draft pick. Overall nice draft Nick!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I'd like to make a few comments:
    1.) Jamaal Anderson is from Arkansas, not the HATED Alabamer.

2.) I don't see the Rams using the 13th pick on a undersized SLB like Timmons; and I really don't anticipate them passing on a DE like Carriker for a LB that has only been a starter for one year.

3.) Why is it that the Rams pick 13th in the first round and yet fall to the 20th pick in round 2 (52nd overall)?

WHAT SAY YE?

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Facing-The-Giant View Post
    great post, but i can't see greg olsen fallen that much, i thought maybe around 20-27, but who knows, i love justin harrell from ut, great player, and LT from FSU, we will finnaly have an LT too. a much cheaper LT, BUt our SJ is Better than the chargers LT.
    The earliest I see a tight end going is maybe 31 to Chicago. With the other talent in this class, I could see Olsen and Miller getting pushed down.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    - Round 1:
    I love Timmons, but would prefer Willis over him if Willis is there.
    I've yet to be convinced that Willis is good value @ 13. If someone wants to take on that challenge, I'd be interested in hearing the reasoning. I'm also anxious to see if Willis helps himself out at the combine, but we'll have to wait a bit more to see about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    - Round 3:
    Know nothing about this guy.
    Doesn't bring the height we're looking for but I think he does everything else fairly well - good speed, makes good cuts, willing to go over the middle, very good hands, is dangerous in the open field, and is a hard worker. He needs some fine tuning but would likely benefit from being behind Holt and Bruce. He's also got experience as a return man, with 31 punt returns in college. At that point in the draft, he was the receiver I felt the best about in regards to adding depth and return ability.

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    The only way we select Timmons over Carricker, I'd think, is if we sign a FA defensive end. With this draft being so deep at that position, it looks like we might do that anyway -- strike while the iron is hot, as they say.

Chillar might look OK with a good line in front of him afterall.
    I anticipate us getting some help at DE in free agency, and personally I'm not as high on Carriker for us as others are. If we draft Carriker, where does he play? Does he go ahead of Adeyanju? My impression is that the coaching staff wants to keep Victor in their plans. So does one of them shift to the LDE spot after Little retires? If so, what happens to our speed rush?

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    nick, assume for a second that okoye is on the board when we pick, would you take him ahead of timmons.
    Depends on how Timmons works out. From a value perspective I rank Okoye higher, so there's a strong case to be made for taking him over Timmons. It's not as if we couldn't use more interior pass rush either.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbozo21 View Post
    I like the first two picks of Timmons and Harrell a lot. They are really solid and help fill some needs. I don't like the pick of Stuckey. I think we would only draft him because of his size. We could probably get the samething in the 4th with Breaston; minus the size. I noticed you had Kareem Brown to the Chiefs . I think we could pick him up with our third draft pick. Overall nice draft Nick!
    I don't know why we'd take Kareem Brown in the third after taking Justin Harrell in the second. As for Stuckey, he's 5'10" so I'm not sure I see what you're talking about in regards to his size. In regards to waiting and getting Breaston, you seem pretty high on him but I would suggest not focusing in on one guy. Personally I think while Steve would be a good second day pick, I probably wouldn't take him before the fifth round. I also like Stuckey's upside as a receiver better than Breaston's so I don't think we could get the same thing by taking Breaston on day two.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    1.) Jamaal Anderson is from Arkansas, not the HATED Alabamer.
    Yikes! Though if that's the only mistake I make in a three-rounder, I'll take it.

2.) I don't see the Rams using the 13th pick on a undersized SLB like Timmons; and I really don't anticipate them passing on a DE like Carriker for a LB that has only been a starter for one year.
    I tried to cover the Carriker issue earlier. As for Timmons, I'm not sure you can call a 6'3" linebacker undersized simply because of his weight. He's 20-years-old and will likely fill out a bit as he gets older. I don't think you're going to find many players of his size that are as athletic as he is, and Haslett certainly likes speed on this defense.

3.) Why is it that the Rams pick 13th in the first round and yet fall to the 20th pick in round 2 (52nd overall)?
    Because teams that have the same record rotate in the selection order every round to try and make things fair. In the first round it's based on opponent's win percentage I believe, but then it starts rotating in the second round. Thus, the Rams rotate to the end of the group of 8-8 teams.

Dominator Guest

Great job. I think CJ will go higher than 4th and Gaines Adams will go lower than 2nd, but the Lions can't be crazy enough to pick another wideout, can they? Maybe Joe Thomas? I don't like Jarrett and I think he'll drop well below 14. We'll know for sure where he is going after the combine. I'm betting he doesn't time well. Looks slow to me. I like your Rams picks, but like you I'm thinking Harrell will go earlier. Don't know too much about Stuckey, but agree 100% any skill player they pick must have return value.
    Last edited by Dominator; -02-19-2007 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to write Harrell's name.

snowbozo21 Guest

my bad I thought stuckey was some 6'3 210 guy

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I anticipate us getting some help at DE in free agency, and personally I'm not as high on Carriker for us as others are. If we draft Carriker, where does he play? Does he go ahead of Adeyanju? My impression is that the coaching staff wants to keep Victor in their plans. So does one of them shift to the LDE spot after Little retires? If so, what happens to our speed rush?
    If we actually get DE help in free agency, then I'd agree that Carriker makes no sense for us. If we don't get a Grant/Smith type (note I said type), then I think DE is at the top of our needs list. The benefits of Carriker are that he can play DE in a 3-4 look if we want to do that at times (with Wroten on the other side), he looks to be an all around type of end in that he can rush and play the run, and at a minimum he pushes Adeyanju for run stopping time. Even if we draft him, we can still use Adeyanju in rotation (where he is probably best suited) and even put him in with Carriker in obvious run situations for a big line.

Now, lets assume that you're right and we draft Carriker but Little slows down in the next year or two. That leaves without a speed rush, right? Aren't we in that situation anyway? We need a RDE now and we're not that far away from needing a LDE too. I don't think passing up the RDE now because Little might slow down is a reasonable argument.

More reasonable (in my opinion) is that we wait/try to drop down to get our DE given the depth at that position in this draft. If you really like a guy like Spencer or C. Johnson, they can be had a lot lower so you might get better value by choosing differently or trading down. And surely some team that runs a 3-4 would like a guy like Carriker.

How is that for a retort?

I should also pose a question -- do we really think we won't draft a OG/C in the first three rounds? Before Setterstrom and Romberg played well, we would've pegged this as one of our top needs. Their play drops it down, but we have no guarantee they'll keep playing that well.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-20-2007 at 04:34 PM.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User
    Isn't Lawrence Timmons a taller version of Pisa? At 232 lbs. he seems a little light for a SLB. I think Patric Willis might be a better choice, he appears to have leadership qualities that I think could be very valuable for our D.

I found this on line from football'sfuture.com;

Justin Harrell DT 6'4 300 Tennessee, By: Robert Davis

Harrell started to produce as a sophomore, a season in which he had 26 tackles, 4.5 for loss, with 1.5 sacks. His numbers climbed to 39/7.5/2.5 and two interceptions as a junior, and he had the opportunity to leave for the draft. He decided to return to Tennessee, but in his second game, he ruptured his bicep and ended his final season with just 7 tackles, 1.5 for loss.

Harrell has all the talent to be a standout defensive tackle at the next level. He has solid size, is a good athlete, and is strong. He is an excellent run stopper, displaying the ability to hold his ground at the point of attack and get off blocks to bring down the ball carrier. He also shows the burst to get through the line and has the speed and athleticism to get to the outside and run down the offensive player. You have to love Harrellís attitude as well. After rupturing his bicep against Air Force, he came out and played through the pain against Florida the following week.

Despite the talent, Harrell never really put it all together as a playmaker. He isnít a consistent performer at getting into the backfield and finishing plays off. The bicep will also have to be checked out, so that he can run entire workouts leading up to the draft, and that it will not be a lingering problem.

Harrell is a guy who could have been a first round pick with a big senior year, but it ended prematurely. With a good workout circuit, he could re-establish himself as a Day One pick.
    He sounds like a gamer, my only question is will he be ready to play this season, and will this be a lingering issue.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-20-2007 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Now, lets assume that you're right and we draft Carriker but Little slows down in the next year or two. That leaves without a speed rush, right? Aren't we in that situation anyway? We need a RDE now and we're not that far away from needing a LDE too. I don't think passing up the RDE now because Little might slow down is a reasonable argument.
    Exactly my point - we need a RDE now, which is why signing one in free agency makes more sense. We need a LDE for the future, which is why drafting one in order to fill that needs make more sense IMO.

By drafting Carriker, my fear is that when Little does decline, we'll basically have two RDEs on our roster in Carriker and Adeyanju, meaning we'd have to devote additional resources to finding the pass rushing end. Instead of doing that, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be more beneficial to take the more explosive end now, use him to spell Adeyanju on passing downs, and then have him eventually move to Little's spot with Adeyanju starting on the right side.

Of course this strategy puts pressure on Adeyanju to develop into a starter, and while I certainly think Victor has some work to do this offseason, I didn't see anything this past year to suggest he couldn't develop into a quality starter.

I should also pose a question -- do we really think we won't draft a OG/C in the first three rounds? Before Setterstrom and Romberg played well, we would've pegged this as one of our top needs. Their play drops it down, but we have no guarantee they'll keep playing that well.
    I would put more money on our drafting a center to compete with Romberg. It would seem the Rams are pretty satisfied with Incognito and Setterstrom for the time being, but I think Romberg is still a bit of a risk. That being said, in my projection there wasn't a center in round three I really felt good about us drafting, and Kalil went before we picked in round two. If I continue on into the second day, I would likely have us looking center with one of our next three picks.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    Isn't Lawrence Timmons a taller version of Pisa? At 232 lbs. he seems a little light for a SLB. I think Patric Willis might be a better choice, he appears to have leadership qualities that I think could be very valuable for our D.
    Timmons is young and is going to fill out a bit more as he matures. That being said, you're not going to find many 6'3" linebackers that are as good in coverage as he is. Obviously a lot depends on how he works out, but do you pass on that simply because he's 8-10 pounds lighter than you'd like? I really don't think so.

As for Willis, I've said it a couple of times - at this point in time, I'm not convinced he's good value at the 13 spot. Maybe his workouts change that, but right now he looks to be more of a late first rounder. I also think in terms of filling the void on the strong side, he's not as good of a fit as Timmons would be.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    He sounds like a gamer, my only question is will he be ready to play this season, and will this be a lingering issue.
    I haven't seen any recent updates, but the last reports I read sounded pretty confident that there wouldn't be any long term effects from his injury. He may not be 100% for pre-draft workouts but will probably be ready to contribute this season as long as there aren't any significant setbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Exactly my point - we need a RDE now, which is why signing one in free agency makes more sense. We need a LDE for the future, which is why drafting one in order to fill that needs make more sense IMO.
    I get this part, but I think it assumes we sign a RDE in free agency. I think I'm trying to say that this scenario -- that we sign a quality starter at RDE -- is becoming less likely by the day. And if we don't get it done, Carriker looks like a more attractive option because it is our immediate need.

But yeah, if we sign a good player in FA, I have no problem skipping out on Carriker in the first round. Other than Thomas, who is out there that is an all-around RDE worth a lot of money? (And even Thomas has questions at that position.)

By drafting Carriker, my fear is that when Little does decline, we'll basically have two RDEs on our roster in Carriker and Adeyanju, meaning we'd have to devote additional resources to finding the pass rushing end. Instead of doing that, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be more beneficial to take the more explosive end now, use him to spell Adeyanju on passing downs, and then have him eventually move to Little's spot with Adeyanju starting on the right side.
    I don't particularly have a problem with this kind of strategy. That said, I think it assumes we probably need to draft a DE in the first two rounds (which you didn't do). While Adeyanju hasn't done anything to show he can't improve, he also has done much to show he is anything but a rotation player.

Counting on young guys to improve is kind of what got us in this position to begin with. I'd rather see us stockpile players until some of them prove it on the field for a change. In fact, given how thin the DT ranks are in and the DE list is becoming in FA, I'm starting to think it would be better to spend our FA dollars on offensive talent and draft heavy on defense.

I would put more money on our drafting a center to compete with Romberg. It would seem the Rams are pretty satisfied with Incognito and Setterstrom for the time being, but I think Romberg is still a bit of a risk. That being said, in my projection there wasn't a center in round three I really felt good about us drafting, and Kalil went before we picked in round two. If I continue on into the second day, I would likely have us looking center with one of our next three picks.
    Muchas gracias. It is interesting that the P-D suggests that McCullouch will be staying with the team while Timmerman is done. I think they're tipping their hand about FA/Draft plans.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

The only RDE worth the money in the current FA market is Patrick Kerney, and thats dependent on whether he is properly fit and over his injury problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast