Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Nick's Pre-Combine Two Round NFL Mock & Full Rams Mock

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Nick's Pre-Combine Two Round NFL Mock & Full Rams Mock

That's better!

I'm just kidding, of course. When it comes to the draft, its Nick's world. The rest of us are just prognosticating in it.
    Rambos and Nick like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Great work Nick. You are always insightful and its a joy to read your impressions of players. I love your Ertz pick for us at #22, although AV does raise a good point about his meteoric rise ahead of Eifert. I'm sure the Combine will validate that or refute it. As you well know I'm a big fan of your Round 5 pick, Ricky Wagner, but I'm feeling as if I'm more impressed with the school than the player. Having said that, I'm not so sure the Rams may not opt for Kyle Long at RT in round 2 and address the safety spot either in FA or in the middle rounds. I get the sense Jeff Fisher likes bloodlines for coaches and players. I do hope Warmack will be there at #16. The draft is always full of surprises that we don't see coming and this year because of the lack of outsize talent compared with last year, I'm sure we'll see our share of them. I look forward to seeing your post-Combine mock.

Go Rams!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    The overall Mock for all the teams is really good.

Rams mock, you are giving me hope that Warmack will be there at 16. I don't see us taking a RB, SJ will be here, I hope. I would also like to add Da'Rick Rogers in the third and grab a LB in the fourth.

Overall solid.
    I saw you projected Rogers to the Rams in the third in your own mock a day or so ago. He's certainly an option, but I wanted to give everyone a different scenario to read than something someone just posted.

As for RB, until the situation with Steven Jackson is resolved, it's certainly a possible option in either free agency or the draft IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    You really think Nassib will fall all the way to the third? I have real doubts about that.
    Why not? There's no consensus about how these QBs are viewed. Anything is possible. I wouldn't argue with a mock that had Nassib going in the Top Ten or on Day Three. There's just a wide variety of opinions on these QBs.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Things I like: You've done a good job of filling out most of the Rams' needs with these picks.

Things I don't like: If the Rams don't sign a WR in FA, and lose Danny Amendola, I think they'd need to take a WR earlier in the draft.

Things that make me go ????: Has Ertz really risen that far above Eifert?
    Yeah, I thought about trying to find a WR earlier but also wanted to do something different. We'll call this the "Fisher has faith in Givens and Quick" approach, while assuming either Amendola or someone is added in free agency.

As for the tight ends, I don't think the separation between them is as big as this mock makes it appear. It's simply that when teams who could have taken Eifert due to need at the position had the chance (Seattle, Green Bay, Atlanta), they opted for other players of similar value IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Great work Nick. You are always insightful and its a joy to read your impressions of players. I love your Ertz pick for us at #22, although AV does raise a good point about his meteoric rise ahead of Eifert. I'm sure the Combine will validate that or refute it. As you well know I'm a big fan of your Round 5 pick, Ricky Wagner, but I'm feeling as if I'm more impressed with the school than the player. Having said that, I'm not so sure the Rams may not opt for Kyle Long at RT in round 2 and address the safety spot either in FA or in the middle rounds. I get the sense Jeff Fisher likes bloodlines for coaches and players. I do hope Warmack will be there at #16. The draft is always full of surprises that we don't see coming and this year because of the lack of outsize talent compared with last year, I'm sure we'll see our share of them. I look forward to seeing your post-Combine mock.

Go Rams!
    Long could be an option in Round Two, certainly. I think he becomes less likely if the Rams have already gone OL in the first, unless he's viewed as one of the best players available. I'm not sure he would have been when the Rams selected in this scenario.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I like what you did, but I would make one switch. In the second round I would take Barrett Jones. To me it makes too much sense not to take him. He is a quality starter that can come in on day one and start, and he has the versatility to play any position on this line. Which given the issues we have had with maintaining health at those spots for the last 5 years, is a good thing. This is all driven by the fact that I have 0 faith in Scott Wells. He is an older center that is on the downside of his career, and had major injury issues last year. Factor in his salary, and I think it's time to part ways. I give the FO credit for bringing him in, but I just don't think he is going to work out here.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    . This is all driven by the fact that I have 0 faith in Scott Wells. He is an older center that is on the downside of his career, and had major injury issues last year. Factor in his salary, and I think it's time to part ways. I give the FO credit for bringing him in, but I just don't think he is going to work out here.
    Let's give Wells some time to rehab. He was injured from day dot in St. Louis, but offensive linemen have been known to find success well into their thirties in the NFL.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I like what you did, but I would make one switch. In the second round I would take Barrett Jones. To me it makes too much sense not to take him. He is a quality starter that can come in on day one and start, and he has the versatility to play any position on this line. Which given the issues we have had with maintaining health at those spots for the last 5 years, is a good thing. This is all driven by the fact that I have 0 faith in Scott Wells. He is an older center that is on the downside of his career, and had major injury issues last year. Factor in his salary, and I think it's time to part ways. I give the FO credit for bringing him in, but I just don't think he is going to work out here.
    I honestly wouldn't mind Barrett Jones in the 2nd; let him start at G for a year or two and then he can replace Wells at C when he retires

TekeRam is offline Registered User

To add onto Bar-bq's point about Wells, Dr.D, when Wells came back towards the end of the year, that was when our line started clicking again and giving more time for Sam. One thing is clear to me: We need a high caliber center who can manage the line calls and an offense that mainly looks for the quick timing routes. Our problems tend to rise from a breakdown of the protection, and from Sam spending too much pre-snap time idenifying rushers as opposed to finding the coverage.

Wells is indeed an injury liability, so I would very much favor spending a pick on a good, if not starting quality center prospect whom we can groom to start in 2014.

Nick, this is a good mock, and I would love to see us come out with Warmack and a TE from the first. At this point in the game, unless someone is clearly the runaway top dog at his position, like Warmack, I'm looking far more at the position, and less the name. Now, with safeties, I'm more inclined to go after a guy who can play center field, as that was a striking hole last year. But I'm sure that any of these guys could play coverage, so until we get closer, I don't care who, just what.
    mde8352gorams likes this.
    I believe!

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

Nick, I like the Warmack pick but are you saying that Watkins is a bust?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

This is all driven by the fact that I have 0 faith in Scott Wells.
    I'm a bit less optimistic about Wells now than I was when he was signed, but I'm not yet ready to give up on him. However, I think the best solution to provide some security for the position at this point would simply be to resign Robert Turner, who played pretty well when called upon at the position. However, if the Rams don't do that, then Jones makes sense in the second round.

Quote Originally Posted by fearsome foursome View Post
    Nick, I like the Warmack pick but are you saying that Watkins is a bust?
    No, but I'm also not going to pass up on quality talent at the position because of a relatively unknown Day Three pick.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If we are lucky enough to draft Warmack, is there anyone that doubts he'd be a day one starter? Finding "starters" in round one is a big part of successful drafting. I love Nick's draft - hopefully we should be so lucky as to get at least two of his first three ..

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I like Teke's thought about center. we'll need a new center in another year or two, so in the later rounds we can hopefully find a center worth drafting. I know in today's NFL you don't draft for a year or two down the road, but we will hopefully have R. Turner re-signed from FA so our backstop is here we just need to plan ahead so we're not left unprotected. I think Jeff like stability, who doesn't, so giving Sam a sense of reassurance can only be a good thing. I just hope we're all not obsessing too much about our O-Line. We do have other needs to be addressed as well in this draft. Especially with the ****** having 14 picks in this draft, we need to be very savvy. I have plenty of faith in Jeff and Les.

Go Rams!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12