Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Nick's Pre-Free Agency Two-Round NFL Mock and Full Rams Mock

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Nick's Pre-Free Agency Two-Round NFL Mock and Full Rams Mock

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Shamarko Thomas may be the better Safety in Round 3
    I don't think he is when you look at the Rams' needs. Quintin Mickell is still a very good "in the box" safety. What we need is a "center fielder" who can make plays in coverage. I think P.Thomas is a much better prospect than S.Thomas for that role.
    TekeRam likes this.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Nobody called "Shmarko" can legitimately be considered the better alternative to anything, ever.
    TekeRam and Tampa_Ram like this.

Beastified is offline Registered User

Alright Nick, I know we've already gone at it, but anyway here's my opinion on the mock draft. Very nice mock draft. I like how you got the few sentences explaining each pick. Helps give people an understanding to why some players are mocked where. It's pretty realistic for the most part.
    As much as I said I do not want a guard in the 1st round, I honestly wouldn't complain if the Rams drafted Cooper or Warmack. Both are solid and I highly doubt either busts and it's a crowd pleaser. I'm more of a guy who would only dislike a pick if it's somebody I think is a bust or it is a completely un-necessary selection. Personally, I think Vaccaro is a bust and that's the only reason I don't want the Rams drafting him.
    I mean, it's a solid mock draft. There are some underrated players you have in the 2nd like Hopkins and Brown but as of right now most people don't have them in the 1st. Anyhow those are 2 out of 3 on my board.

I want the Rams to draft these guys in the following order if possible:
    1. Jarvis Jones
    2. DeAndre Hopkins
    3. Arthur Brown (If they can't get Jones)

46. St. Louis Rams: Kyle Long, OT, oregon
    -The Rams went guard in Round One, but could still add their second Long, who would immediately competes to start at right tackle.

----

I like this pick

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Nobody called "Shmarko" can legitimately be considered the better alternative to anything, ever.
    You do know how he got that name, don't you?

Nurse: Here's your baby boy, Mrs. Thomas. What's his name?
    Mama Thomas: Sharko.
    Papa Thomas: What?!?! Sharko.....Shmarko! His name ain't Sharko!
    Nurse: Shmarko it is.
    Bar-bq and Tampa_Ram like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't think he is when you look at the Rams' needs. Quintin Mickell is still a very good "in the box" safety. What we need is a "center fielder" who can make plays in coverage. I think P.Thomas is a much better prospect than S.Thomas for that role.
    That was going to be my response as well. Shamarko strikes me as a guy who is going to make his bones near the line of scrimmage. Unless the Rams make a roster move in the coming days/weeks, we already have a safety who is pretty solid at that. We need someone on the backside.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastified View Post
    Alright Nick, I know we've already gone at it, but anyway here's my opinion on the mock draft. Very nice mock draft. I like how you got the few sentences explaining each pick. Helps give people an understanding to why some players are mocked where. It's pretty realistic for the most part.
    As much as I said I do not want a guard in the 1st round, I honestly wouldn't complain if the Rams drafted Cooper or Warmack. Both are solid and I highly doubt either busts and it's a crowd pleaser. I'm more of a guy who would only dislike a pick if it's somebody I think is a bust or it is a completely un-necessary selection. Personally, I think Vaccaro is a bust and that's the only reason I don't want the Rams drafting him.
    I mean, it's a solid mock draft. There are some underrated players you have in the 2nd like Hopkins and Brown but as of right now most people don't have them in the 1st. Anyhow those are 2 out of 3 on my board.

I want the Rams to draft these guys in the following order if possible:
    1. Jarvis Jones
    2. DeAndre Hopkins
    3. Arthur Brown (If they can't get Jones)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastified View Post
    46. St. Louis Rams: Kyle Long, OT, oregon
    -The Rams went guard in Round One, but could still add their second Long, who would immediately competes to start at right tackle.

----

I like this pick
    Thanks for the comments!

I tend to approach things the same way you do, which might sound strange considering the debate we just had in your thread. But I tend to agree; the only picks I flat out dislike are the ones whom I think aren't going to become successful. Generally, I can get behind just about anything else.

Carrying over from another thread, I would like to say that I agree with you that the right tackle position is a big problem on this line as well. Even though I view Cooper as the better prospect, I can see someone making a case for Fluker over Cooper because of the position. I wouldn't be particularly upset with that, because I like Fluker as a decade-long starter on the right side of the line. The need at right tackle is one reason I mocked Long to the Rams in the second round, even after they'd already gone OL in the first. I think both areas need to be addressed, as I want to see the best protection possible for Sam.

I like both Hopkins and Brown. It's a tough spot, really. I don't know that I'd be comfortable spending the 16th or 22nd pick on either of them, but I don't know if they'll make it to the Rams' second round pick. And again, I think Dunbar has been fine as our nickel linebacker w/ Laurinaitis, so I'm not sure an OLB is a first or second day priority. But Dunbar isn't a world beater or anything, so if the Rams think one of these LBs can be that much better in those sub packages, go for it. As for Hopkins, one thing I'll mention is that I wouldn't be surprised if a team wants to trade back into the bottom half of the first to take a QB. If the Rams end up moving from the 22nd pick and find themselves closer to the bottom of the first or high second, I think Hopkins makes a lot of sense. Just not sure he's among the best on the board @ 16 or 22.

I would totally be for a trade back at 22 if possible. Are you thinking EJ Manuel or Mike Glennon?

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    What i dont get is why everyon discounts Rok as the starting LG... He started the season as the opening day G. What makes it any different if no one took over the spot in his abscents last season? Just throw away a 5th round pick? I think not.
    I think Rok is going to be a good player, but I'd rather start Cooper and Dahl at guard until he can prove to the Rams that he can remain healthy and keep his weight under control. Not only would he provide good depth, but he can also replace Dahl at RG when he decides to retire (or gets cut... whichever comes first). I also like the Kyle Long pick; he's athletic, versatile (could play guard or tackle), and seems like the kind of kid who would work his butt off in practice. Matter of fact, with Cooper, Dahl, and Long all able to play different positions, the Rams would have one of the most versatile OL's in the NFL.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Nick, great mock. Love the picks as I have been on the K. Allen bandwagon for a few weeks particularly over Tavon Austin (forgive me) as I want the physical WR's to match up with our divisional CB's. I'm not versed enough to comment on the blocking schemes involving Cooper, but on sheer strength and versatility to play center I like him and the value looks right at #16.

You are reading my mind on Kyle Long. I don't know that he'll be there for us in round 2 after a very solid Combine. I think he is just the type of OL we need a mauler who can play nasty. Now the point about his arm length is a valid concern, but Paul Boudreau may be able to teach him some techniques that overcome that issue. I like his demeanor and his bloodlines are good too, plus as I've said before think about the practices Long v Long. Aren't you glad to see I've gotten over my Ricky Wagner obsession?

I am very high on Zavier Gooden because of his size and speed. Let me ask you what you think about Cornelius Washington from Georgia as an alternative. He comes from a good program and his physique looks like he was cut from granite. The P. Thomas pick at safety plays to my thoughts about signing a veteran safety in FA and coach a younger player along. Of course much depends on what we do with Mikell. Like you, I hope we keep him. The fact that this draft is deep at safety enables us to execute that strategy. I also think we keep forgetting we have this kid Matt Daniels on the Practice Squad who may be a "diamond in the rough" waiting in the wings.

Once again, love the mock draft. Great job.

Go Rams!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

If the Rams could end up with Tavon Austin and Kenny Vaccaro in the 1st round as your mock suggests, I believe that's the way I'd go. The best safety and the best playmaker in the draft wouldn't be too shabby in my estimation.

Like Long in the 2nd, probably go best OLB in the 3rd, bpa in the 4th, TE Chris Gragg in the 5th, O-lineman in the 6th, and bpa in the 7th.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12