Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Nick's Pre-Senior Bowl First Round NFL Mock Draft

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Pre-Senior Bowl First Round NFL Mock Draft

The actual bowl games are over, but it's nearly time for my favorite bowl of the year - the Senior Bowl!

This is my second mock draft of the 2012 Draft season, and there's bound to be one after stocks shift at Mobile. But for now, here's an upgraded projection as to how things could shake out in April!

1. Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
    -The rebuild is on in Indianapolis, so grabbing Andrew Luck should be the first step.

2. St. Louis Rams: Matt Kalil, OT, USC
    -Jeff Fisher wants to better protect Sam Bradford in 2012, which means Kalil could get the edge here.

3. Minnesota Vikings: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
    -The Vikings could opt for Justin Blackmon, but have serious needs in the secondary as well.

4. Cleveland Browns: Robert Griffin, QB, Baylor
    -Cleveland gets their man, though they may have to trade up to do so in the actual draft.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
    -LeGarrette Blount didnít impress anyone to finish the season; Richardson would be a big upgrade.

6. Washington Redskins: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
    -The Redskins may not have a quarterback, but theyíve picked the best offensive weapon in this class.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina
    -Jacksonville canít seem to find the answer to the defensive end position. Perhaps Coples can help.

8. Miami Dolphins: Courtney Upshaw, LB, Alabama
    -Upshaw would make for a nice eventual replacement to 37-year-old Jason Taylor at outside linebacker.

9. Carolina Panthers: Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
    -Weíll have to see if Kirkpatrickís drug arrest affects his stock, but for now, he benefits from Carolinaís need at cornerback.

10. Buffalo Bills: Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
    -Iím a bigger fan of Martin than some, so I like the value here for Buffalo as they improve their line.

11. Kansas City Chiefs: Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
    -Even if the Chiefs still like Albert at LT, they need a serious upgrade on the right side.

12. Seattle Seahawks: Devon Still, DT, Penn State
    -The Seahawks opened the checkbook to bring Brandon Mebane back, but Alan Branch is just a guy.

13. Arizona Cardinals: Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
    -Fitz needs some help at receiver, so adding a speed threat like Wright would be a nice compliment.

14. Dallas Cowboys: Mark Barron, S, Alabama
    -It feels like the Cowboys have had safety problems for nearly half a decade now. Get them some help!

15. Philadelphia Eagles: Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College
    -Nice fit inside for an Eagles defense that really doesnít have any standouts at the position.

16. New York Jets: Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina
    -Holmes can be a diva and Burress played about as consistently as someone who shot himself in the leg again.

17. Cincinnati Bengals (f/OAK): David DeCastro, OG, Stanford
    -Huge upgrade on the inside of the line for the Bengals, as they get the best interior lineman in the class.

18. San Diego Chargers: Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
    -Rumor has it Adams is more highly thought of around the league, and the Chargers are unsure of what they have long-term at left tackle.

19. Chicago Bears: Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
    -Depending on his offseason, the Bears may be lucky to find an offensive weapon like Floyd here.

20. Tennessee Titans: Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia
    -Another team with needs along the interior of the line; Glenn should be in play in the second half of the first round.

21. Cincinnati Bengals: Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
    -The Bengals love their troubled youths, right? Maybe Pacman could help mentor Jenkins in Cincy.

22. Cleveland Browns (f/ ATL): Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina
    -Ingram would be an excellent choice to pair with Sheard on the restructured Browns defensive line.

23. Detroit Lions: Vontaze Burfict, LB, Arizona State
    -Tulloch could be leaving in free agency; putting Burfict behind the Lions DL would create a monster.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Dontari Poe, NT, Memphis
    -The future of their nose tackle position has gone unaddressed for too long. With the value here, itís time to change that.

25. Denver Broncos: Michael Brockers, DT, LSU
    -Brockers could very well go in the Top 15-20, depending on who you talk to. Denver still needs tackles for their four-man front.

26. Houston Texans: Peter Konz, OL, Wisconsin
    -Houstonís starting center is a Pro Bowler, but also a free agency. They have some age at both guard spots as well.

27. New England Patriots (f/ NO): Whitney Mercilus, LB, Illinois
    -Thereís no question that New Englandís defense needs some young talent; Mercilus could be a terror coming off the edge.

28. Green Bay Packers: Jerel Worthy, DE, Michigan State
    -Speaking of bad defenses, the Packers could use some extra help on their defensive line.

29. New York Giants: Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
    -Name the starting tight end for the Giants. The answer is Jake Ballard. Capable, but Fleener would give Eli a better weapon.

30. Baltimore Ravens: Kevin Zeitler, OL, Wisconsin
    -It feels like every year the Ravens are looking for some help along the offensive line. Zeitler is a guy who could sneak into the first with a good Senior Bowl.

31. San Francisco *****: Mohamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers
    -Michael Crabtree is the only ***** receiver to have over 20 receptions and 250 yards. Help is needed.

32. New England Patriots: Fletcher Cox, DE, Mississippi State
    -More defensive help for a team desperate for it. Cox gives the Patriots the versatility they like along their front.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Nick's Pre-Senior Bowl First Round NFL Mock Draft

Some interesting picks there.

From the Rams' standpoint, I'm not wild about the idea of losing out on the Top 5 WRs.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Some interesting picks there.

From the Rams' standpoint, I'm not wild about the idea of losing out on the Top 5 WRs.
    Was thinking the SAME thing. Theres still some top tier tackles left in round 2, but no top tier WRs left. Kalil would be a mistake pick IMO.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Holt Your Horses is offline Registered User

From Nfldraftcountdown.com

"It’s not a stretch to suggest that Kalil is the best left tackle prospect to come along since Joe Thomas, which is high praise indeed. In this scenario Kalil could be plugged in on the left side with Rodger Saffold moving to right tackle and Jason Smith kicking inside to guard, theoretically upgrading three positions in one fell swoop."

I find this idea quite intriguing.. I have to agree it would be very difficult to pass on a WR at the top.. but considering the residual effects that Kalil could have on the Oline makes me like it a bit more than I previously had. Blackmon apparently isn't being considered in the same class as Megatron and AJ Green.. put all these pieces together and it wouldnt surprise me to see Kalil picked. That being said a trade could muddle the waters and provide an even better solution, especially based on the probable availability of OTs in the second/third.
    Defence Wins Championships

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Was thinking the SAME thing. Theres still some top tier tackles left in round 2, but no top tier WRs left. Kalil would be a mistake pick IMO.
    Four offensive tackles went off the board in this mock. Thus, it's difficult for me to believe that the fifth-best OT prospect in this class still qualifies as the "top tier," let alone some of the guys after that as well.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I would defiantly prefer Blackmon but Kalil will help out too...If we get him i think we must cut Smith unless he takes a substantial paycut...

This draft does have plenty of interesting picks esp. for the Rams with the 2nd pick if we took blackmon acc. to this draft the best OL prospect left is Adcock who just wont have the same impact on the Rams as Kalil will...with Adcock he would have to play RT and we would still have to rely on Saffold's potential...

With Kalil i doubt we go WR with the #33...Nick Toon is a solid receiver a really good #2 but he is not a game breaker...I think Sanu is though he was taken at #31

One key note on Michael Brockers u touched his draft value...I think if he falls out of the top 15 he will be the biggest steal of the draft he is a complete run stopper and takes on double teams like a beast and will collapse the pocket single handedly...I want him if we get the browns #22

1 question though Nick, who would you take at #33?

lostsoul is offline Registered User

I dont think Burfict goes in the first. IMO he's going in the late 2nd early 3rd. He was pretty much benched at the end of the season due to his play.

Other than that i think this is a pretty realistic draft.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Stir that puddin', Nick.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is online now Registered User

If the Rams don't trade back then I'm still on Matt Kalil. It's the practical thing to do. Fisher being the head coach not sure of that makes it the pick more likely or not. Fisher has never taken an O line men that high before, maybe he can go with less talent and coach him up. Jason Smith being told take a cut in pay or go tells me he's going to be fighting for a starting job here. We need an OT for sure weather it's LT or RT we could use a good one.

Nice draft Nick as all ways.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I am fine with drafting Kalil. But if we do I am not a fan of doing that from #2 Spot. Really wan't to trade down and get more value no matter what and who we draft

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

If the draft were to go this way, the top 3 players on my draft board for the Rams' second pick would be:

Zack Brown, OLB, North Carolina
    Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska
    Almeda Ta'amu, DT, Washington

I'd stick to that board, rather than reching for a WR at that point. Hopefully, if things are going to play out this way, the Rams will re-sign Lloyd (at a reasonable price) and find another WR in FA.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

If the draft were to go this way, the top 3 players on my draft board for the Rams' second pick would be:

I'd stick to that board, rather than reching for a WR at that point. Hopefully, if things are going to play out this way, the Rams will re-sign Lloyd (at a reasonable price) and find another WR in FA.
    I agree. Those are 3 high value picks (think J-Lau at the top of 2nd round), and I would not want to reach at that point.

And, I hesitate to say this, but under the Fish/Schott playbook, is the "true #1" imperative? (ducks spears and pitchforks)
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

xpmar9x is offline Registered User

Titans will take Konz over Glenn.
    Rambos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    1 question though Nick, who would you take at #33?
    At the moment, I think the best value on the board at the start of Round Two in this projection is at cornerback with either Alfonzo Dennard or Stephon Gilmore. As Av pointed out after your response, Zach Brown could get some consideration as well as an upgrade at OLB.

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
    I dont think Burfict goes in the first. IMO he's going in the late 2nd early 3rd. He was pretty much benched at the end of the season due to his play.

Other than that i think this is a pretty realistic draft.
    Wouldn't surprise me, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If the Rams don't trade back then I'm still on Matt Kalil. It's the practical thing to do. Fisher being the head coach not sure of that makes it the pick more likely or not. Fisher has never taken an O line men that high before, maybe he can go with less talent and coach him up. Jason Smith being told take a cut in pay or go tells me he's going to be fighting for a starting job here. We need an OT for sure weather it's LT or RT we could use a good one.

Nice draft Nick as all ways.
    Fisher's comments about protecting Bradford really stood out to me, which is why at the moment I'd lean towards Kalil for the Rams.

I'm of two minds when it comes to Blackmon. A part of me thinks that, if you don't grade him as high as a Megatron or an A.J. Green, then you shouldn't take him with the second overall pick. I don't think Blackmon grades out at the same level of a Johnson or Green, and I say that as a big Blackmon fan.

But the other half of me thinks, you can't compare current prospects in the current class to past prospects of past classes. If Blackmon grades out as a legitimate Top Five talent in this class, then he's worth the pick. You can only judge the value of a player against the other players available. I'd wager that since Peyton Manning was drafted in 1998, few quarterbacks have graded out as highly as he did, but that didn't stop teams from drafting them first overall.

The truth of the matter is, at present, I'd be happy with either player and can understand the logic behind either. But if I'm projecting what I think the Rams would do, right now, it'd be Kalil.

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    I am fine with drafting Kalil. But if we do I am not a fan of doing that from #2 Spot. Really wan't to trade down and get more value no matter what and who we draft
    Trading down is a fine strategy if you can find a partner, and the Rams should have some good choices even if they move down a couple spots. But I doubt Kalil would be one of them, as I don't think he makes it beyond the third pick.

Agreed, I'd stick with value rather than try to force a position. I think the value is good at cornerback, which just so happens to be a need.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I agree. Those are 3 high value picks (think J-Lau at the top of 2nd round), and I would not want to reach at that point.

And, I hesitate to say this, but under the Fish/Schott playbook, is the "true #1" imperative? (ducks spears and pitchforks)
    We'll have three more months to debate it (unless they answer the question with a free agent signing in March)!

Quote Originally Posted by xpmar9x View Post
    Titans will take Konz over Glenn.
    I'd considered that, but I viewed Glenn as the better value while also upgrading the interior. I'll keep that feedback in mind though, as I always like to hear back from fans of opposing teams who visit the site!

LionsGuy is offline Registered User

The Rams almost cant go wrong with Blackmon or Kalil.

Cant have too many good offensive lineman i suppose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast