Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Nick's Pre-Senior Bowl First Round NFL Mock Draft

harrydog is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's Pre-Senior Bowl First Round NFL Mock Draft

If we don't trade down I think Kalil makes the most sense. An OT of Kalil's caliber comes along far less often than a WR of Blackmon's caliber and we should take advantage of the opportunity.
    Blackmon would be the obvious choice if we trade with Cleveland or Washington, assuming he's there.

xpmar9x is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'd considered that, but I viewed Glenn as the better value while also upgrading the interior. I'll keep that feedback in mind though, as I always like to hear back from fans of opposing teams who visit the site!
    Titans biggest need is a pass rush and C.

We have Jake Scott (whos a FA), LeRoy Harris, and Amano (who has played center, but true position is guard). So if we draft a Center or sign someone like Nick Hardwick, Amano can move back to guard. Amano sucks at center.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    But the other half of me thinks, you can't compare current prospects in the current class to past prospects of past classes. If Blackmon grades out as a legitimate Top Five talent in this class, then he's worth the pick. You can only judge the value of a player against the other players available. I'd wager that since Peyton Manning was drafted in 1998, few quarterbacks have graded out as highly as he did, but that didn't stop teams from drafting them first overall.
    I would disagree. While it may be unfair to compare Blackmon to AJ Green or Julio Jones - they will be compared on the field every Sunday. If Blackmon is a huge step back from Julio Jones physically (which I believe he is a MASSIVE step back but I'm no professional talent evaluator), it is an indication the talent is being over valued for what it is.

Someone in this draft has pro-bowl type talent who is so special, they change the game on day 1. Last year it was Von Miller, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Patrick Peterson. If Blackmon doesn't compare to those players, you get someone who does. The Rams can't afford to draft a guy #2 who plays like the #20 player drafted.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    I would disagree. While it may be unfair to compare Blackmon to AJ Green or Julio Jones - they will be compared on the field every Sunday. If Blackmon is a huge step back from Julio Jones physically (which I believe he is a MASSIVE step back but I'm no professional talent evaluator), it is an indication the talent is being over valued for what it is.

Someone in this draft has pro-bowl type talent who is so special, they change the game on day 1. Last year it was Von Miller, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Patrick Peterson. If Blackmon doesn't compare to those players, you get someone who does. The Rams can't afford to draft a guy #2 who plays like the #20 player drafted.
    And who is that individual?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    And who is that individual?
    I'm not a professional but IMO it's Claiborne. He's more of a sure thing talent than anyone else mentioned it seems.

(I don't like to include Newton from last year only because QBs can take years to develop. Newton dominated but it shouldn't mean Luck will be that dominant the first year or he's a bust)

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not a professional but IMO it's Claiborne. He's more of a sure thing talent than anyone else mentioned it seems.

(I don't like to include Newton from last year only because QBs can take years to develop. Newton dominated but it shouldn't mean Luck will be that dominant the first year or he's a bust)
    IMO, that's a good choice. Claiborne is an outstanding prospect. So you feel he's a better CB prospect for the Rams than Blackmon is a WR prospect for the Rams?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I would like to see us grab a playmaker with our 1st pick. We could build a brick wall in front of Bradford but if the receivers can't get open he's going to get sacked anyway. We witnessed plenty of that recently.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    IMO, that's a good choice. Claiborne is an outstanding prospect. So you feel he's a better CB prospect for the Rams than Blackmon is a WR prospect for the Rams?
    Yes. I think Claiborne is a premier CB prospect. I think Blackmon is an average 1st round prospect at WR.

I will be fine with whoever the Rams pick, Fisher and his GM will be 1000x smarter than anyone on this board.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Considering your position from earlier, if Blackmon has to compare favorably to other receivers taken with high picks, Claiborne has to compare favorably with other cornerbacks taken highly as well.

If the Rams drafted Claiborne with the second overall pick, it'd be the first time a cornerback has been taken in the top three since Shawn Springs was picked third overall in 1997. It would also be the first time any defensive back has been taken with the second overall pick since Eric Turner was selected by the Browns in 1991.

So does Claiborne compare favorably to every defensive back taken near the top of the draft for the last two decades? I like Claiborne a lot, but I don't really see that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12