throwback week

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HUbison

Thread: Nick's Quick Thoughts on the 2014 NFL Draft's First Round

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Quick Thoughts on the 2014 NFL Draft's First Round

1. HOU - Jadeveon Clowney: Not particularly surprising. Anxious to see how he does in a 3-4.

2. STL - Greg Robinson: Great combination of value and need. Gives the Rams long term security at left tackle.

3. JAX - Blake Bortles: I wouldn't have taken him over Watkins or Mack, but the Jaguars need a QB and I like his skillset the best of this group.

4. BUF (f/CLE) - Sammy Watkins: Aggressive move by Buffalo to come up and get their guy.

5. OAK - Khalil Mack: Okay, Raiders. Nice value pick, which is uncharacteristic for you.

6. ATL - Jake Matthews: Matt Ryan has to be happy with Matthews as their pick. So much for the rumors of Lewan passing him.

7. TB - Mike Evans: No brainer for the Bucs. Love what he could do opposite V-Jax.

8. CLE (f/MIN) - Justin Gilbert: Seems high for a 2nd cornerback, but I guess the need was there.

9. MIN (f/CLE) - Anthony Barr: Vikes trading down for Barr was something I envisioned in a previous mock, albeit further than one spot.

10. DET - Eric Ebron: Matthew Stafford has no more excuses. Lions are a loaded gun.

11. TEN - Taylor Lewan: Nice value pick by a Titans team that could be transitioning at tackle.

12. NYG - Odell Beckham: A New York team takes Odell, but maybe not the one everyone thought. Nice replacement for Nicks.

13. STL - Aaron Donald: Say it with me now... Fearsome Foursome Reboot.

14. CHI - Kyle Fuller: I expected them to go DB but thought safety. Still, their corners are old.

15. PIT - Ryan Shazier: Reminds me of the Lawrence Timmons pick from a while ago. Wonder if they would have taken Fuller.

16. DAL - Zack Martin: Unexpected, but it helps Romo. Really wanted to see Jerry take Manziel.

17. BAL - CJ Mosley: Ravens fans killed this pick in mock drafts, but I think it makes a lot of sense.

18. NYJ - Calvin Pryor: Jets have a big need at safety, just surprised Pryor passed HHCD.

19. MIA - JaWuan James: I'd heard rumors Miami had a first round grade on him, but hard to agree with the value here.

20. NO (f/ARI) - Brandin Cooks: I like this trade up by New Orleans. Give Drew Brees a versatile weapon.

21. GB - Hasean Clinton-Dix: Great, great value pick for the Packers at arguably their biggest position of need.

22. CLE (f/PHI) - Johnny Manziel: The drop is over, the Browns get a guy @ 22 that they could have taken @ 4.

23. KC - Dee Ford: The Auburn pass rusher probably makes Tamba Hali expendable in a year or so.

24. CIN - Darqueze Dennard: Great selection for the CB-needy Bengals. Still my #1 CB.

25. SD - Jason Verrett: A top CB prospect if he was 2-3 inches taller. Nice get.

26. PHI (f/CLE) - Marcus Smith: Umm, ok. About a round too early for my taste, but what do I know?

27. ARI (f/NO) - Deone Bucannon: Surprised to see him go over Ward, but the need was there for Cardinals.

28. CAR - Kelvin Benjamin: Too early, and hard to see him breaking out early. But talent there to be developed.

29. NE - Dominique Easley: First round talent, but will the injuries catch up with him?

30. SF - Jimmie Ward: Nice compliment to Reid and possible nickel DB.

31. DEN - Bradley Roby: Great pick to partner with Talib in a revamped D.

32. MIN (f/SEA) - Teddy Bridgewater: Credit the Vikings for waiting on a QB, then moving up to get their guy.
    Last edited by Nick; -05-09-2014 at 07:48 AM.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User
    My favorite non ram move.

The Saints move up and pick. Underrated move of the round

Sent from my HTCONE using Forum Runner

thoey is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's Quick Thoughts on the 2014 NFL Draft's First Round

Love to read your comments as you know a lot more than I do. Could I ask that in the future you put the team name with the pick number?
    This space for rent...

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    Love to read your comments as you know a lot more than I do. Could I ask that in the future you put the team name with the pick number?
    You don't have to wait until the future. I've got you covered now!

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

15. PIT - Ryan Shazier: Reminds me of the Lawrence Timmons pick from a while ago. Wonder if they would have taken Fuller
    Shazier's a fine pick, but I'm astonished they didn't take Dennard at this spot.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Shazier's a fine pick, but I'm astonished they didn't take Dennard at this spot.
    I think Dennard's physicality actually turned some teams off, as they'd be afraid he'd draw a lot of flags in the pros. For a guy of his talent, that would be pretty easy to correct and teach him by a competent secondary coach. I think Cincinnati got a steal in him.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think Dennard's physicality actually turned some teams off, as they'd be afraid he'd draw a lot of flags in the pros. For a guy of his talent, that would be pretty easy to correct and teach him by a competent secondary coach. I think Cincinnati got a steal in him.
    I think you're right. I hate that this is what has become of the modern NFL, but you're right still the same.
    Nick likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod