Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Nick's "So Crazy It Just Might Happen" Final 1st Round Mock & Full Rams Mock

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Nick's "So Crazy It Just Might Happen" Final 1st Round Mock & Full Rams Mock

Well, it's Draft Day. And twenty minutes after this thing kicks off, all of these mocks are likely going to go out the window as trades begin and surprises happen.

This has certainly been an unpredictable one, so I thought I'd mix it up and throw some trades into my final mock, which I don't normally do for the last mock of the season. But I figured, what the heck? A mock with no trades is guaranteed to be wrong, so why not mix it up and make some fun off the wall projections?

Sorry for any typos, I'm going quickly before meeting a friend for dinner.

Let me know what you guys think!

ROUND ONE
    1. Kansas City Chiefs: Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
    -The Chiefs are going to go with an offensive tackle here to replace Branden Albert, it's just a matter of which one. Latest news is that they've informed Luke Joeckel that he won't be their pick, so let's jump on board the tidal wave from the last 24-48 hours and go with Fisher here.

**TRADE**

2. Detroit Lions (f/JAX): Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
    -Despite having a very capable left tackle in Eugene Monroe, the Jags now have the league believing they'll take the draft's second best tackle here. OR WILL THEY? *cue dramatic music* Teams are going to be looking to move up for Joeckel, and I think the Jags would be wise to take advantage of that and move down, adding more picks in the process. This move makes sense for Detroit, as this gives them arguably the top player in the draft and fills a huge hole vacated by Jeff Backus.

**TRADE**

3. Arizona Cardinals (f/OAK): Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
    -ANOTHER trade? Why the heck not? The Cardinals are interested in moving up for a tackle, and the top two are already off the board. It's almost certain Johnson won't make it to their pick at #7 in this scenario, so they pull the trigger on a deal with a willing Oakland team and grab Lane Johnson to be their new blindside protector.

4. Philadelphia Eagles: Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
    -With the top three offensive tackles off the board, the Eagles will consider a pass rusher like Dion Jordan, but ultimately grab a versatile defensive tackle in Lotulelei. The Utah stud's value is back in the Top 10 range after he's passed numerous health tests since a heart scare at the Combine, and he could work at any of Philadelphia's spots on their three man front.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars (f/DET): Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon
    -The Jags took advantage of the tackle craze, moved down three spots, and still get a guy they're high on in Jordan. He'll be an excellent Leo pass rusher in Jacksonville's new defense, makes more sense here at #5 than he would have at #2, and allows the Jaguars to add some more picks.

6. Cleveland Browns: Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
    -Is this the landing spot for Geno Smith? Maybe, maybe not. Rumor has it the Browns have been talking about trading up with the Raiders, with the initial target being Barkevious Mingo. But now it appears as if Smith might be the target. I don't know if Cleveland moves up, but they're a prime candidate to draft Geno as Brandon Weeden's replacement, since the former OSU quarterback was tied to Cleveland's previous regime.

7. Oakland Raiders (f/ARI): Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
    -The Raiders orchestrated a trade down and still land their man in Florida's Sharrif Floyd. He'll help fill the gap created by the departing Desmond Bryant and Tommy Kelly on the inside of Oakland's defensive line. I wouldn't rule out a cornerback here, either.

**TRADE**

8. San Francisco ***** (f/BUF): Sheldon Richardson, DL, Missouri
    -The ***** seemingly have an infinite number of picks, so they're a prime candidate to use a couple of them and move up to the top half of the first round. The gut instinct is to have them move up for Tavon Austin, but they're supposedly very interested in Sheldon Richardson as a force on their defensive line. The Bills are more than happy to move down where a quarterback like Ryan Nassib will make more sense.

9. New York Jets: Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
    -Austin is an outstanding fit for the Jets. They're in desperate need of more weapons, and they already have a raw but talented outside weapon in Stephen Hill they're going to develop. So they add Austin, who will work in the slot and contribute as a return man. While they'll probably boo this pick on draft night were it to happen, I'm sure Jets fans won't mind giving the finger to the Patriots twice a year with their own pesky slot receiving weapon, just as New England has done to New York so often with Wes Welker.

10. Tennessee Titans: Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
    -The Andy Levitre signing filled one spot, but Rob Turner is scheduled to start on the other side. With the top three defensive tackles off the board, Cooper becomes the pick here, although Dee Milliner will get some consideration if he slips.

11. San Diego Chargers: Barkevious Mingo, LB, LSU
    -An offensive lineman would have been nice, but the value on the board is on Mingo's side, and the Chargers could certainly use some pass rush help as well. They'll take the LSU linebacker and hope that they can grab an offensive lineman in the second round.

12. Miami Dolphins: D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama
    -WHAT?! The Dolphins pass on Milliner to take Fluker? Hey, there are surprises every year, so who's to say this isn't one of them? Fluker is an instant starter for Miami on the right side of their line, filling the hole created by Jon Martin shifting to the left side as Jake Long's replacement.

13. New York Jets (f/TB): Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
    -The Jets continue to address their offense by taking Alabama's Warmack, an instant starter for them at guard. Ansah would get some consideration here, but Warmack is the better prospect and there will be some pass rushers available later that the Jets could be interested in.

**TRADE**

14. New York Giants (f/CAR): Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
    -The Giants strike while the iron is hot, and make a move to grab a player who is arguably a Top Five prospect in this class. New York loves going after defensive lineman, and while they could sit tight and wait to see who is available with their selection, they recognize the value of Ansah if he's on the board here. Carolina is eager to trade down, with the top defensive tackles and Austin off the board.

15. New Orleans Saints: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
    -The slide of Dee Milliner stops here, as New Orleans makes him a Saint to help improve their simply awful pass defense. Even though he may start the year on the PUP list, Milliner should become an early starter for the Saints.

16. St. Louis Rams: Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
    -The Rams sit tight and take one of the best players available in Kenny Vaccaro. With two mobile quarterbacks in Kaepernick and Wilson, and new addition Percy Harvin likely to cause trouble in Seattle, the Rams need a versatile safety who can do whatever they ask of him. Under the tutelage of the Rams' coaching staff, Vaccaro can be that guy.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia
    -This seems like a match made in heaven for the Steelers, who released James Harrison this offseason and need to find a replacement pass rusher. Jones worked out poorly this offseason, but that wasn't entirely surprising to some. He shows up on tape and is a relentless pass rusher, seems like a great fit in Pittsburgh.

**TRADE**

18. Minnesota Vikings (f/DAL): Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
    -With the top offensive linemen and safety off the board, the Cowboys are willing to move back a little bit. Minnesota is eying Carolina at the #19 spot and think they might be a contender to take Sylvester Williams, so they make a deal with Dallas in order to move up and add an interior lineman.

19. Carolina Panthers (f/NYG): Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
    -Eifert might not seem like an obvious pick for the Panthers, but he's arguably the best offensive weapon on the board at this point and gives Cam Newton another target to throw to. Eifert and fellow tight end Greg Olsen should help the Panthers create some fun match-ups in the NFC South.

20. Chicago Bears: Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame
    -I really like Arthur Brown at this spot, but it seems as if momentum is building for Te'o, and really, he makes a lot of sense when you think about the need at middle linebacker that D.J. Williams is going to attempt to fill. Te'o would give the Bears an emotional leader on the inside to replace Brian Urlacher.

21. Cincinnati Bengals: Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International
    -They missed out on Vaccaro, so they'll take the next best safety available in Jonathan Cyprien, whom Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer privately worked out earlier this week.

22. St. Louis Rams (f/WAS): DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
    -The Rams worked out DeAndre Hopkins twice in the last two weeks, which strikes me as too large a time investment for a prospect for it to be smoke. Maybe they're hoping he makes it to their second round pick, but if they like him, they might find it best to not get too cute and just take him here.

23. Minnesota Vikings: Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
    -The Vikings lost Antoine Winfield to Seattle this offseason, so they may be interested in restocking at cornerback if the value is right. Rhodes is a potential Top 15 pick, so I'd say the value has lined up for them here. Don't rule out a receiver or a linebacker, but the way the board fell, I went with Rhodes.

24. Indianapolis Colts: Bjoern Werner, LB, Florida State
    -The Colts are a player to move up in this draft if the right guy falls, but I project Bjoern Werner will be available when they're on the clock, and if he is, they should pull the trigger and have him compete for time as an outside linebacker in their 3-4 scheme.

25. Dallas Cowboys (f/MIN): Eric Reid, S, LSU
    -Dallas successfully moved down in a trade with Minnesota, and in doing so, they find themselves in a great range to take an athletic safety like Eric Reid. He fills a big need for them, and they were able to grab him while acquiring some extra picks in the process.

**TRADE**

26. Baltimore Ravens (f/GB): Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State
    -The Ravens are interested in some offensive line help, and there's no guarantee Watson makes it through the next couple of teams, specifically Houston who could use a new right tackle. So the Ravens strike a deal and move up, hoping to groom Watson as their left tackle so they can keep Michael Oher on the right side.

27. Houston Texans: Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
    -The Texans are in need of some receiving help, and Patterson is slipping down draft boards. He could make a lot of sense for the Texans, as he could learn the finer points of the game from Andre Johnson. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Texans consider another receiver here, though. USC's Robert Woods is getting some buzz for this spot.

28. Denver Broncos: Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State
    -Carradine is a potential Top 10-15 pick when healthy, so the Broncos are getting some exceptional value if he's available for them with this pick. They could certainty use the help on their defensive line after letting Elvis Dumervil hit free agency.

29. New England Patriots: Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State
    -The Patriots have their choice of quality cornerbacks, but they've shown a lot of interest in Jamar Taylor and they don't strike me as a team that's going to mind passing some guys who conventionally are ranked higher if they feel another player is a better fit for them.

30. Atlanta Falcons: Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
    -The Falcons lost both Dunta Robinson and Brent Grimes in free agency, so if a quality cornerback is available, they'd be wise to consider them here. I wouldn't rule out Kevin Minter or Arthur Brown if they're still on the board; the Falcons have one quality starting linebacker and could use some more.

31. Buffalo Bills (f/SF): Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse
    -So the Bills moved down to the end of the first round and still get their guy in Nassib. They could very well just sit tight and take him at eigth overall, but I think this trade really gives them a lot of ammo and a guy they really like.

32. Green Bay Packers (f/BAL): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
    -The Packers moved back with Baltimore, and in doing so, still find a capable inside linebacker for their 3-4 defense sitting here at the end of round one.

FULL RAMS MOCK

2. Kyle Long, OL, Oregon
    -I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams are interested in linemen who are versatile and give them some options both inside at guard and at right tackle. Long can compete immediately for playing time at left guard, and then be in the mix to replace Rodger Saffold at right tackle next season if the Rams so desire.

3. Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M
    -Michael would be a very capable compliment to the two runners the Rams already have in Pead and Richardson.

4. Ace Sanders, WR, South Carolina
    -The Rams did not trade up for Tavon Austin in this projection, so perhaps they'll strike on a slot/return guy on Day Three with Sanders.

5. Gerald Hodges, LB, Penn State
    -Laurinaitis and Dunbar are a quality every-down tandem, but adding a guy like Hodges would be a solid move for a Rams team in need of that third 'backer.

6. Zeke Motta, S, Notre Dame
    -Safety depth to back up Vaccaro and Stewart, or if you're particularly down on Stewart, to compete with him.

7. Anthony McCloud, DT, Florida State
    -Wouldn't be shocked if Fisher grabbed some more depth on the DL or even at cornerback here.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Nick's "So Crazy It Just Might Happen" Final 1st Round Mock & Full Rams Mock

Nice!

I'm looking forward to your "3 days after the draft but trust me I haven't looked at who was actually selected" Mock Draft.

(I know... its a recycled joke... but it never gets old!)
    Richbert88 likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's "So Crazy It Just Might Happen" Final 1st Round Mock & Full Rams Mock

This draft couldn't be more perfect. Well done.