Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Nick's "Three Weeks and Counting" Two-Round NFL Mock Draft

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Nick's "Three Weeks and Counting" Two-Round NFL Mock Draft

We're only three weeks away from the NFL Draft, so I thought it was time to up the ante and present a two-round mock draft. There are a couple of surprises along the way, and I did some editing as I went so hopefully I didn't mess things up too much. But anyways, let me know what you think and thanks for checking it out!

Round One
    1. Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
    -Luck is without question the best player in this draft, IMO. Think of it this way - if this pick wasn’t locked in, the Redskins wouldn’t be spending so much time with Robert Griffin.

2. Washington Redskins (f/STL): Robert Griffin, QB, Baylor
    -Washington made a mega move to come up and get a franchise signal caller in Robert Griffin. They traded away a lot for him, will he be their savior?

3. Minnesota Vikings: Matt Kalil, OT, USC
    -The Vikings want NFL teams to believe they’re willing to trade down, but I think when push comes to shove, they stay here and take Kalil to protect Christian Ponder.

4. Cleveland Browns: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
    -The loss of Peyton Hillis means there’s little certainty in the Browns’ backfield, and whoever is playing quarterback in Cleveland will want to rely on a strong running game.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
    -The Bucs have some options at cornerback, but none represent as much potential as a long-term shut down corner as Morris Claiborne does.

6. St. Louis Rams (f/WAS): Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
    -The Rams move down four spots and still manage to get a playmaking wide receiver for Sam Bradford. Justin Blackmon instantly becomes the best option in the passing game.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina
    -The Jaguars will consider receiver and possibly tackle here, but their pass rush desperately needs to be improved and Ingram is the guy who can do it.

8. Miami Dolphins: Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
    -Will a team trade up to take Ryan Tannehill? It’s possible, but I think it’s a bad move. In this mock, no trades were projected, so Miami grabs Tannehill here.

9. Carolina Panthers: Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State
    -Who is the best DT in this draft? Whomever it is may end up in Carolina. I think Fletcher Cox is emerging as that guy, though watch out for Michael Brockers or Dontari Poe here.

10. Buffalo Bills: Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
    -The loss of Demetress Bell opens up a hole at left tackle for the Bills, which they’re happy to fill with arguably the draft’s second best tackle prospect in Reiff.

11. Kansas City Chiefs: David DeCastro, OG, Stanford
    -The Chiefs added a legitimate right tackle in Eric Winston, but they could upgrade the line even further by drafting the class’s best guard.

12. Seattle Seahawks: Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina
    -Seattle benefits from the slide of Quinton Coples, who could find himself on the outside looking in when it comes to being a Top Ten talent but not a Top Ten pick.

13. Arizona Cardinals: Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College
    -The Cardinals would have liked DeCastro here, but instead they’ll go for a stud inside linebacker in Kuechly, who should replace Paris Lenon immediately.

14. Dallas Cowboys: Dontari Poe, NT, Memphis
    -The Cowboys have been reportedly looking into Poe as a possible nose tackle in their defense, and I think it makes all the sense in the world.

15. Philadelphia Eagles: Michael Brockers, DT, LSU
    -Left tackle could be a consideration here, but it’s less vital after the Eagles signed Demetress Bell as a free agent. Instead, Brockers is the selection.

16. New York Jets: Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama
    -The Jets will consider Michael Floyd as a potential starter opposite of Santonio Holmes, but they also need a big boost to their pass rush.

17. Cincinnati Bengals (f/OAK): Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia
    -The Bengals needed guard help even before they lost Nate Livings, and there probably aren’t many people who think Travelle Wharton solved their problems.

18. San Diego Chargers: Mark Barron, SS, Alabama
    -A pass rusher would be very nice, but in a weak safety class, the Chargers could be primed to strike on the best of the bunch to help replace Steve Gregory.

19. Chicago Bears: Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
    -The Brandon Marshall trade was nice, but there’s a reason he’s failed to stick anywhere. Imagine Jay Cutler’s potential if you pair him, even if it’s only temporarily, with Michael Floyd.

20. Tennessee Titans: Nick Perry, DE, USC
    -The Titans need help in the pass rush department, and Nick Perry is emerging as a potential Top 20 pick. He could get the nod here.

21. Cincinnati Bengals: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
    -I think the Bengals would have liked Barron, but instead opt for one of the draft’s best corners in Gilmore, who should immediately push for playing time.

22. Cleveland Browns (f/ ATL): Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
    -The Richardson/Wright combo has been my projection for a while now for Cleveland, and I see no reason to change it. Makes too much sense.

23. Detroit Lions: Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
    -The Lions still say they believe in Jeff Backus, but he’s getting up there and there’s no long-term plan in place. Martin could be the heir apparent at left tackle.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Don’t’a Hightower, LB, Alabama
    -The loss of James Farrior created a vacuum at inside linebacker that I don’t think it’s going to be filled adequately by Larry Foote.

25. Denver Broncos: Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State
    -Defensive tackle remains a huge need for the Broncos, especially after losing Brodrick Bunkley. Denver will like Worthy’s ability as a disruptor on the inside.

26. Houston Texans: Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech
    -Andre Johnson is a stud, but Houston is still searching for someone to become a legitimate weapon opposite him. Hill is raw but has top-notch talent.

27. New England Patriots (f/ NO): Whitney Mercilus, OLB, Illinois
    -The ever-versatile Patriots would love to add a player in Mercilus who has the ability to rush the passer by either standing up or from a three-point stance.

28. Green Bay Packers: Andre Branch, OLB, Clemson
    -While the lines may get some thought here, the Packers are looking for someone to rush the passer opposite of Clay Matthews, and Andre Branch could be just that guy.

29. Baltimore Ravens: Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State
    -Offensive guard is a big question mark for the Ravens after they lost Ben Grubbs to the Saints. Silatolu is a small-school guy who could sneak into the bottom of round one.

30. San Francisco *****: Kendall Reyes, DL, Connecticut
    -The ***** don’t have a lot of pressing team needs, but they could use some better depth behind Justin Smith and Ray McDonald, who are aging and of somewhat questionable durability respectively.

31. New England Patriots: Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
    -The Patriots continue to find value on the defensive side of the ball, this time upgrading a very weak secondary with a quality cornerback prospect.

32. New York Giants: Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
    -William Beatty is not the answer at left tackle. Maybe Mike Adams can be the guy. Adams was at one point considered a Top 20 prospect in this class.

Round Two
    33. St. Louis Rams: Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson
    -The Rams need to find a way to stop the run, and Thompson could be the answer.

34. Indianapolis Colts: Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
    -The Colts could strike gold by reuniting Luck with his go-to tight end.

35. Minnesota Vikings: Reuben Randle, WR, LSU
    -Finding someone besides Percy Harvin in the passing game will be a draft priority.

36. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
    -The Bucs missed out on Richardson, but like what they see in Martin here.

37. Cleveland Browns: Bobby Massie, OT, Mississippi
    -Tony Pashos is out at right tackle, and the options to replace him aren’t particularly impressive.

38. Jacksonville Jaguars: Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina
    -Jeffery combines with free-agent addition Laurent Robinson to give Blaine Gabbert two new weapons.

39. St. Louis Rams (f/WAS): Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin
    -With a massive hole at left guard, a borderline first-round interior lineman is too good to pass up.

40. Carolina Panthers: Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
    -Chris Gamble is fine on one side, but an upgrade is needed opposite him.

41. Buffalo Bills: Lavonte David, LB, Nebraska
    -The Buffalo defense continues to be upgraded, this time with a stud linebacker.

42. Miami Dolphins: Mohamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers
    -Miami lost Brandon Marshall, so they’ll need some more talent in the receiving corps.

43. Seattle Seahawks: Zach Brown, LB, North Carolina
    -Another North Carolina prospect for Seattle, this time to man the outside linebacker position.

44. Kansas City Chiefs: Alfonzo Dennard, DB, Nebraska
    -Dennard is viewed as a bit of a ‘tweener for the NFL, but the Chiefs could use help at CB or S.

45. Dallas Cowboys: Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
    -Phil Costa is a poor starting center, making Konz a no-brainer to the Cowboys here if available.

46. Philadelphia Eagles: Bobby Wagner, LB, Utah State
    -The Eagles added DeMeco Ryans in the middle, but still need help at OLB.

47. New York Jets: Harrison Smith, SS, Notre Dame
    -The Jets have outstanding corners but not a lot to speak of at the strong safety position.

48. New England Patriots (f/OAK): Devon Still, DL, Penn State
    -Still’s fall ends here as he becomes the third piece in a revamped New England defense.

49. San Diego Chargers: Vinny Curry, OLB, Marshall
    -The Chargers find their pass rusher in the Thundering Herd’s Curry.

50. Chicago Bears: Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse
    -Chicago adds a quality 4-3 defensive end in Jones, who could compete for time immediately.

51. Philadelphia Eagles (f/ARI): Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State
    -The Eagles are saying age is a factor for them, but that’s just the kind of smokescreen I’d expect from a Philadelphia team that has shown more interest than you’d expect in this crop of QBs.

52. Tennessee Titans: Josh Robinson, CB, UCF
    -Losing Cortland Finnegan means the Titans have to regroup at the cornerback position.

53. Cincinnati Bengals: Lamar Miller, RB, Miami
    -BenJarvis Green-Ellis was a nice acquisition, but Miller adds another component to the backfield in Cincinnati.

54. Detroit Lions: Jayron Hosley, CB, Virginia Tech
    -Hosley brings a kind of feisty demeanor that Jim Schwartz will likely appreciate in a cornerback.

55. Atlanta Falcons: Shea McClellin, LB, Boise State
    -McClellin has some versatility, and that’s exactly what the Falcons need on their new defense.

56. Pittsburgh Steelers: Kelechi Osemele, OG, Iowa State
    -Osemele is a great find for Pittsburgh at the bottom of the second round and should compete immediately at a guard position.

57. Denver Broncos: David Wilson, RB, Virginia Tech
    -John Fox likes to feature a committee at running back, so Wilson could get a look here.

58. Houston Texans: Brandon Brooks, OG, Miami (OH)
    -After losing Mike Brisiel in free agency, the Texans could be in the market for a new guard.

59. Green Bay Packers: Chris Polk, RB, Washington
    -Ryan Grant is gone and James Starks may not be a 16-game player. Polk adds another option to the backfield.

60. Baltimore Ravens: Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State
    -Boldin and Smith are fine players, but the Ravens need another weapon for Flacco.

61. San Francisco *****: Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana
    -Johnson comes with some baggage, but Harbaugh could be the guy that makes things click for him.

62. New England Patriots: Chris Givens, WR, Wake Forest
    -The Patriots added some veteran receivers in free agency, but could still use more talent to compete at the position.

63. New York Giants: Dwayne Allen, TE, Clemson
    -Martellus Bennett was a nice acquisition, but he’s only signed for one year and Allen is nice value here.
    Aussie Dave and DE_Ramfan like this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's "Three Weeks and Counting" Two-Round NFL Mock Draft

Blackmon, a defensive tackle and a guard? Sounds great to me! Sure, we need help at outside linebacker in a big way, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

I like it. Its very nice because I see OLB prospects that will be available in the 4th that are solid (Bradham, Spence) so filling those holes in particular was huge. Good job!

THE DREAM TEAM

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind Blackmon at 6 as long as Claiborne is gone, although I'd still look to move down for Floyd and more picks before settling.

A DT with one of our 2nds is a sound strategy, but I'd go OLB before OG with the other.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

The team that drafts Jonathan Martin (the lions in this one) should be extremely happy...The guy was a sure fire top 10-15 pick...He did not do bad during the draft process other players just did better

I am very happy with the zietler pick; now 4 of the 5 spots on our O-line are solidified with Saffold, Ziether, Wells, and Dahl...And if Smith can keep his head in the game (avoid concussions) we can really have a solid O-line

You pick Thompson for the rams over Still and that would be a good idea...I feel Still has the higher ceiling but not by much and Thompson is more durable which is a plus and does not have that injury history

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Blackmon, a defensive tackle and a guard? Sounds great to me! Sure, we need help at outside linebacker in a big way, but Rome wasn't built in a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I like it. Its very nice because I see OLB prospects that will be available in the 4th that are solid (Bradham, Spence) so filling those holes in particular was huge. Good job!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I wouldn't mind Blackmon at 6 as long as Claiborne is gone, although I'd still look to move down for Floyd and more picks before settling.

A DT with one of our 2nds is a sound strategy, but I'd go OLB before OG with the other.
    I didn't feel a huge sense of urgency to draft an OLB in the first two rounds. Dunbar at least gives the Rams some stability at SAM, and I think the team can find a WILL 'backer elsewhere. Improving the front line on offense was a bigger priority to me at that point, as it will help both Bradford and the running game that the coaches will want to lean on.

As for trading down for Floyd, aside from the fact that I wasn't projecting trades, I don't think you can ever count on trading down with one specific player in mind. Floyd could go as early as 7th. Lots of picks are great, but this team is in need of impact players as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    You pick Thompson for the rams over Still and that would be a good idea...I feel Still has the higher ceiling but not by much and Thompson is more durable which is a plus and does not have that injury history
    Still makes me a little nervous, I don't know what it is. I think Thompson helps more in the run game than Still does, which would make him preferable to the Rams.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I didn't feel a huge sense of urgency to draft an OLB in the first two rounds. Dunbar at least gives the Rams some stability at SAM, and I think the team can find a WILL 'backer elsewhere. Improving the front line on offense was a bigger priority to me at that point, as it will help both Bradford and the running game that the coaches will want to lean on.

As for trading down for Floyd, aside from the fact that I wasn't projecting trades, I don't think you can ever count on trading down with one specific player in mind. Floyd could go as early as 7th. Lots of picks are great, but this team is in need of impact players as well.

Still makes me a little nervous, I don't know what it is. I think Thompson helps more in the run game than Still does, which would make him preferable to the Rams.
    Very true, it'd be almost impossible to project another team's interest in a particular player.

But the point I was trying to make was if there's another player or players I covet almost as much as Blackmon, I might be more inclined to trade back for them and accumulate another pick or two in the process.

Obviously I'd have to have reasonable assurance that my player/players would be there. And I think you can reach a point of reasonable assurance in spite of the unpredictability of the draft.

As it is, we only have 8 picks this year in spite of the trade, which for this team, is not a lot.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Can't see us passing on Janoris Jenkins if he's there at 33, nonetheless 39. And I had this feeling before reading today he's coming in for a predraft visit. Jenkins is a Fisher type of player

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Can't see us passing on Janoris Jenkins if he's there at 33, nonetheless 39. And I had this feeling before reading today he's coming in for a predraft visit. Jenkins is a Fisher type of player
    I'm not a big fan of starting two cornerbacks that both come in at slightly less than 5'10". That combined with Jenkins' off-the-field history doesn't make him a consideration for me with the Rams' two second-round picks in this projection. But the visit will be big for him as he tries to answer the off the field questions. The Rams certainly could use some more talent at the position, but the options in Round Two weren't blowing me away when compared to the picks I ultimately projected.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Same thing I've been thinking. Janoris is the best pure cover corner in this draft. He has boatloads of talent, just needs to get his act together.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

45. Dallas Cowboys: Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
    -Phil Costa is a poor starting center, making Konz a no-brainer to the Cowboys here if available.
    I had us taking Konz in early mocks, at one point you felt he would not make it out of the first round... is his stock dropping?

I still would draft him if he was there with our #39 pick, he can play Guard and back up Center...

At 33 I take Reuben Randle, WR, LSU, with Blackmon and Reuben we would be set at receiver.

Blackmon
    Randle
    Konz

Fourth round address DT and then next year get two stud LB.

Good draft Nick

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Same thing I've been thinking. Janoris is the best pure cover corner in this draft. He has boatloads of talent, just needs to get his act together.
    I don't know why, but for some reason I keep thinking Tye Hill, when this guy comes up, and that's not a good thing.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Not a bad draft but in this draft scenario I would love to have the Bengals two first rounders over ours. We could chose the following with the Bengals two picks.

First Bengal pick (17):
    Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
    Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia

Second Bengal pick (21):
    Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
    Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech
    Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor

If we had the Bengals picks we could select Michael Floyd and Jonathan Marin and if you went with the rest of your draft it would look like this.

1(17) Michael Floyd WR
    1(21) Jonathan Martin OT
    2(33) Brandon Thompson DT
    2(39) Kevin Zeitler OG

I dont know that the Bengals have anyone that high they would ever target but I would trade with them if they would.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-07-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I had us taking Konz in early mocks, at one point you felt he would not make it out of the first round... is his stock dropping?
    I've been higher on Konz than some others, but it appears his Combine showing has dropped him into the 30-50 range on some draft boards I've seen. Nevertheless, I think he still warrants consideration in the late first and early second round range, and would be great for Dallas if he's still available. I don't think he's as appealing for the Rams; I'd rather fill a hole at guard with a pure guard than a lineman we're asking to move to guard.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    Not a bad draft but in this draft scenario I would love to have the Bengals two first rounders over ours. We could chose the following with the Bengals two picks.
    In this scenario, it may have worked out. There are countless others where it wouldn't. You also have to ask, who are the Bengals trading up to six to get? If I'm Cincinnati, I feel pretty good about my two first-round picks as well and don't see much reason to move up.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Those would be great picks for the Rams.

Interesting that you had Wagner to the Eagles. I just picked him in the ClanRam Insiders Mock for the Eagles with that selection. I guess great minds think alike!
    Nick likes this.