Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By Nick

Thread: Nick's "Three Weeks to Go!" Two-Round NFL Mock and Full Rams Mock Draft

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's "Three Weeks to Go!" Two-Round NFL Mock and Full Rams Mock Draft

As always, discussion and constructive criticism is welcome!

ROUND ONE
    1. Kansas City Chiefs: Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
    -This pick is looking more and more like an offensive tackle; now it's just a matter of finding out which one the Chiefs prefer. Fisher seems to be gaining momentum right now.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars: Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon
    -I'm not sure I buy the Geno Smith talk here, but he is an option. Instead of a passer, I had the Jaguars grab a versatile defender in Oregon's Dion Jordan.

3. Oakland Raiders: Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
    -Another possible landing spot for a quarterback, but the Raiders need to make up ground on their defensive line after losing Desmond Bryant and cutting Tommy Kelly.

4. Philadelphia Eagles: Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
    -Lots of possible options here, but Luke Joeckel is the best player on the board and would give the Eagles a long-term solution for the left tackle position.

5. Detroit Lions: Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
    -Ansah is likely to go on the Top Ten; the choice for Detroit will be whether to take the pass rusher or the cornerback here. Positional value wins out.

6. Cleveland Browns: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
    -What Detroit didn't want, Cleveland is happy to take. Milliner gives the Browns another quality defender in their back seven as he'll start alongside Joe Haden.

7. Arizona Cardinals: Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
    -Johnson sneaks into the Top Seven with this selection, as the Cardinals need someone who can protect Carson Palmer and whatever future franchise quarterback they groom behind him.

8. Buffalo Bills: Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
    -The first quarterback comes off the board as Geno Smith heads to Buffalo to be groomed as their new face of the franchise behind Kevin Kolb.

9. New York Jets: Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
    -The Jets need to help Mark Sanchez. They could go Cordarrelle Patterson here, but they already have a raw, physically talented receiver in Stephen Hill. Austin gives them an immediate weapon.

10. Tennessee Titans: Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
    -Lotulelei has passed all of the medical checks he's taken since his heart scare at the Combine, so he shouldn't drop too far on draft day.

11. San Diego Chargers: Barkevious Mingo, LB, LSU
    -With the top offensive tackles off the board, the Chargers switch gears and look to improve their pass rush by taking LSU's Barkevious Mingo, a potential Top Ten prospect.

12. Miami Dolphins: Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
    -The Dolphins brought in Brent Grimes to replace Sean Smith, but it's only a one-year "prove it" deal. Rhodes gives them someone for the long-term at the position.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
    -The Buccaneers have needs across their defense, but Richardson is the best value on the board at a position of need. He'll step right in beside Gerald McCoy to create a disruptive interior.

14. Carolina Panthers: Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
    -The Panthers missed out on the draft's top defensive tackles, so they'll turn their attention to the offensive side of the ball and grab the best available receiver.

15. New Orleans Saints: Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia
    -With medical and speed questions, Jarvis Jones' stock is slipping this offseason. But will he really get by a New Orleans team that lacks a top 3-4 pass rusher?

16. St. Louis Rams: Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
    -Offensive guard is not a premium position, but Warmack is a Top Five prospect in this class and deserves consideration from any team with a gaping hole at that spot.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
    -Head coach Mike Tomlin personally attended the Texas pro day; was it to get an up close and personal look at a potential safety to groom behind Troy Polamalu?

18. Dallas Cowboys: Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
    -Cooper to the Cowboys is a match made in heaven; he can start at any of the three interior line positions for Dallas. They just hope he lasts this long.

19. New York Giants: Cornellius Carradine, DE, Florida State
    -Tank Carradine is a Top 10-15 talent in this class; if he can show he's healthy at his individual pro day, he could warrant consideration from the Giants here.

20. Chicago Bears: Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
    -The Bears have brought in D.J. Williams and James Anderson, but that's hardly the kind of veteran talent that causes one to pass on Alec Ogletree here.

21. Cincinnati Bengals: D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama
    -It sounds as if the Bengals and Andre Smith are not close on a new contract; if Smith is not brought back, then Alabama's Fluker makes all the sense in the world as his replacement.

22. St. Louis Rams (f/WAS): Keenan Allen, WR, California
    -Keenan Allen's pro day will be very important in establishing his draft stock; if he can show he's healthy, he'd be a great addition to the Rams' line-up as a younger Anquan Boldin type receiver.

23. Minnesota Vikings: Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
    -The Vikings could go any number of directions, but with the top three receivers off the board, I think they could opt to help their defensive front with a selection like Williams.

24. Indianapolis Colts: Damontre Moore, LB, Texas A&M
    -Damontre Moore's stock is not what it used to be this offseason, but the Colts' efforts to add rush linebacker help this offseason has been pitiful and they would be wise to consider him here.

25. Minnesota Vikings (f/SEA): Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame
    -This fit seems to make a lot of sense to me. With Kevin Williams and earlier first round pick Sylvester Williams in front of Te'o, he could be very productive in the NFC North.

26. Green Bay Packers: Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
    -A defensive player was very tempting, but the vaule of Tyler Eifert is too good, especially for a team whose top tight end has little long term security at present.

27. Houston Texans: Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
    -Houston may be where the fourth receiver of this draft comes off the board, the only question is who? Hunter's upside and athletic ability make him the choice.

28. Denver Broncos: Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
    -I'm still not entirely sure just how the Broncos managed to lose Elvis Dumervil this offseason, but Werner can help fill the hole left in his absence.

29. New England Patriots: Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
    -If Desmond Trufant is available here for the Patriots, it will be an ideal situation... and one that will likely cause the fans of 31 other fanbases around the league to groan in disgust.

30. Atlanta Falcons: Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
    -Jones is a very good defensive end prospect who could work himself into the Top 20, but would be a nice fit for Atlanta here, regardless of having added Osi Umenyiora.

31. San Francisco *****: Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International
    -I simply like this fit for the *****; they can't believe Craig Dahl is the replacement for Dashon Goldson, so I expect them to consider safeties here at the end of the first round.

32. Baltimore Ravens: Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
    -I believe Brown is the best linebacker on the board at this point, and the Ravens will look to him as the heir to Ray Lewis' spot on that defense.

ROUND TWO
    33. Jacksonville Jaguars: Matt Barkley, QB, USC
    -Jacksonville is giving off the signals that it will consider a QB early; if they don't get one in the first round, they may strike here if the value is good.

34. San Francisco ***** (f/KC): Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama
    -The ***** don't have a lot to speak of at the nose tackle position, which makes Jesse Williams a worthy consideration in the second round.

35. Philadelphia Eagles: E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
    -The Eagles passed on Geno Smith in the first round, but they get E.J. Manuel here in the second and will groom him behind Michael Vick.

36. Detroit Lions: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
    -Nate Burleson had to take a pay cut to stay in Detroit this year and likely won't be around next year. Hopkins' value was too good for Detroit to pass up.

37. Cincinnati Bengals (f/OAK): Matt Elam, S, Florida
    -Taylor Mays is not an ideal starter at the strong safety position; Matt Elam would come in and instantly upgrade the Bengals' secondary.

38. Arizona Cardinals: Mike Glennon, QB, NC State
    -The Carson Palmer acquisition shouldn't stop the Cardinals from grabbing a quarterback here if they think Glennon can be their future face of the franchise.

39. New York Jets: Eric Reid, S, LSU
    -LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell are no longer with the team; Reid becomes an instant starter for the Jets at safety.

40. Tennessee Titans: Margus Hunt, DE, Southern Methodist
    -The Titans continue to address their defensive line by taking the massive Hunt, who could pay dividends for them as he gains experience.

41. Buffalo Bills: Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky
    -The Bills haven't done anything to recover from the loss of Andy Levitre, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them look at offensive linemen here in Round Two.

42. Miami Dolphins: Kyle Long, OT, Oregon
    -With Jonathan Martin likely shifting to the left side, the Dolphins would look to Kyle Long as their future starter at right tackle.

43. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Kevin Minter, LB, LSU
    -It sounds as if Mason Foster is shifting outside, which creates a hole at middle linebacker that LSU's Kevin Minter could fill.

44. Carolina Panthers: Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State
    -The Panthers missed out on a defensive tackle in the first round, but find good value with Hankins here.

45. San Diego Chargers: Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State
    -The Chargers are finally able to get their left tackle in Menelik Watson, though he may not be a Day One solution to the position.

46. St. Louis Rams: Khaseem Greene, LB, Rutgers
    -Having added an offensive lineman and wide receiver, the Rams grab a starting weak side 'backer in Greene, allowing Dunbar to shift to the strong side.

47. Dallas Cowboys: Kawann Short, DT, Purdue
    -Jason Hatcher is a free agent next year, and Jay Ratliff might not be back either. Short gives Monte Kiffin an interior lineman to groom.

48. Pittsburgh Steelers: Robert Woods, WR, USC
    -Woods gives the Steelers another option for a receiver unit that isn't particularly impressive after Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown.

49. New York Giants: Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas-Pine Bluff
    -Armstead wowed evaluators with a great Combine showing; he could compete for the starting right tackle spot, allowing David Diehl to shift back inside to guard.

50. Chicago Bears: Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
    -Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings are getting up there, and I'm not particularly impressed by the depth behind them.

51. Washington Redskins: David Amerson, DB, NC State
    -Washington's first pick of the 2013 draft is a defensive back in Amerson who could immediately challenge Reed Doughty for free safety duties.

52. Minnesota Vikings: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
    -The Vikings switch gears and grab a receiver to help out on offense; Patton is an underrated prospect who could push Jarius Wright for playing time.

53. Cincinnati Bengals: Alex Okafor, DE, Texas
    -Even though the Bengals franchise-tagged Michael Johnson, they may not be able to afford him long term. Okafor could be a nice insurance policy.

54. Miami Dolphins (f/IND): Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU
    -The Dolphins need to find someone else besides Cameron Wake at defensive end capable of getting to the quarterback. Montgomery is good value here.

55. Green Bay Packers: Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama
    -Lacy is an option for the Packers in the first round, so if he lasts until their pick in the second, he'd be a pretty strong selection for them.

56. Seattle Seahawks: Justin Pugh, OL, Syracuse
    -Pugh is a bit of a 'tweener, but that isn't bad for Seattle, as they could use a boost at either right tackle or guard.

57. Houston Texans: John Jenkins, DT, Georgia
    -Shaun Cody's departure creates a hole at nose tackle for the Texans; John Jenkins is a mammoth disruptor who flashed ability at the Senior Bowl.

58. Denver Broncos: Darius Slay, CB, Mississippi State
    -Pairing Champ Bailey with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie gives Denver their starting duo now, but Slay gives them someone to groom for the future.

59. New England Patriots: Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
    -Danny Amendola is a quality replacement for Wes Welker, but the Patriots' offense would be even deadlier with someone who could stretch the field like Williams can.

60. Atlanta Falcons: Sio Moore, LB, Connecticut
    -Sean Weatherspoon is the only Falcons linebacker worth mentioning, which helps explain their need at the position.

61. San Francisco *****: Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
    -There's the obvious Stanford connection here, but Ertz makes additional sense when you consider San Francisco needs a #2 tight end to replace Delanie Walker.

62. Baltimore Ravens: Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State
    -The Ravens are set at one spot with Lardarius Webb, but Jimmy Smith and Corey Graham will compete to start opposite him, and neither is signed beyond 2014.

RAMS FULL DRAFT
    R3. Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State
    R4. Xavier Nixon, OT, Florida
    R5. Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida
    R6. T.J. Moe, WR, Missouri
    R7. Demetrius McCray, CB, Appalachian State

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's "Three Weeks to Go!" Two-Round NFL Mock and Full Rams Mock Draft

Great picks Nick. Still not loving the Warmack at #16, but that doesnt mean i dont understand why hes the pick.
    Allen and Greene would be great for us. I like Thomas but have cooled on him the past month. Dont know a lot about Nixon to be honest, but what i have read about him makes it a solid pick. I prefer Bell but he hasnt been brought in on a visit yet and Gillislee is a good choice.
    Not a fan of TJ Moe personally.

Overall its a pretty good mock for the Rams. As for the rest of it i agree with those as well. Good job man!!

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I'd be ecstatic with this draft. All picks fill a need without reaching. Great job!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Good job Nick. I would be very pleased if things played out this way for the Rams, especially Keenan Allen whom I've been liking for us for a while. I agree with your strategy for the Rams to use their 2 first round picks on offense as that is our greatest need.

I must say that I'm sensing that Warmack and Cooper may go earlier than you predict. San Diego has a dire need for offensive line and even though they would prefer a tackle an interior lineman with versatility like Cooper may have some appeal. Tennessee is also a threat to take an O-Lineman despite taking Robert Turner from us in FA. In fact, we may have caused some upheaval in the O-Lineman part of the first round by forcing Miami who has many picks to trade up to snag Lane Johnson as a result of our stealing Jake Long from them. That could upset the whole first round for O-Linemen. Maybe I'm watching NFL Net too much. If that happens Kenny Vaccarro despite being a defensive player may be our pick, as you have him on the board at #16.

The Rams need to watch the 4/9 K. Allen workout closely to see if he's healthy enough. There are rumblings that he won't regain his early college form. If that's true we may go a different route entirely. I wouldn't rule out Eddie Lacy at #22. He appears to be Jeff Fisher's type of RB and the type we need. Regardless, I think you currently have him at #55, he's no Trent Richardson, but that is awful late for the first RB to come off the board. If we don't go with Lacy I like your selection of Mike Gillislee for us. If we don't take Allen I do hope we pick Robert Woods who is slightly lower rated than Allen, but could be a good get for us. I know Les Snead attended USC's Pro-Day and I'm sure he wasn't there to see Matt Barkley.

I know you're torturing me with X. Nixon instead of Ricky Wagner in round 4 (just kidding). You are always good for finding the unheralded players, Demetrius McCray. Other than his parents who knows anything about this kid? Oh, I get it you want Brian Quick to feel more at home in practices.

Good job, as always. Now I want you to predict the UDFA's for us.

Go Rams!

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Solid Mock Nick! The Rams leave this draft with two starters on day one. I haven't payed much attention to Greene, only noticing we brought him in for a pre-draft visit. What separates Greene as quality LB compared to the other draft prospects at the positon? Is it fair to say Greene is atop draft boards because of the lack of overall talent at the LB position this year? Regarding Philip Thomas, I believe he plays a lot like Otagwe did for us, always surrounding the football but also pays the price for it in run defense on bad angles.

citr92 is offline Registered User

if you had robert woods in the second round, you would have one of my sets of the first four picks

robert woods and phillip thomas in the 2nd and third
    but my first round picks can be swapped around a bit
    allen/cooper
    warmack/patterson are my other two

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    if you had robert woods in the second round, you would have one of my sets of the first four picks

robert woods and phillip thomas in the 2nd and third
    but my first round picks can be swapped around a bit
    allen/cooper
    warmack/patterson are my other two
    I'm right there with you on Robert Woods if Keenan Allen doesn't pan out in his 4/9 work out. In fact I am almost favoring Woods because I'm hearing Allen may not be back to his original form ever as result of the injury. But there are far better equipped people to make that decision. I just hope either Warmack or Cooper will be there for us in the first round. The signing of Chris Williams even at the veteran's minimum may be a sign our front office isn't confident either will be available.

Go Rams!