Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Nick's "Two Weeks & Counting" Trade-Filled Two Round NFL Mock & Full Rams Mock Draft

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's "Two Weeks & Counting" Trade-Filled Two Round NFL Mock & Full Rams Mock Draft

Tried to incorporate some trades this time, just to mix things up a bit. There were some interesting results to say the least, so let me know what you think!

ROUND ONE
    1. Kansas City Chiefs: Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
    -Take your pick between the top two offensive tackles here. The Chiefs are poised to take either Joeckel or Central Michigan's Eric Fisher, whomever they prefer.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars: Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon
    -Possible landing spot for Geno Smith, but I think the Jaguars could go quarterback later and opt to take an impact defender in Dion Jordan here.

3. Oakland Raiders: Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
    -An outside pass rusher or a quarterback are still options for the Raiders, but at this point, I like the fit of Florida's Sharrif Floyd to penetrate the pocket from the inside.

4. Philadelphia Eagles: Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
    -The Eagles would like to find their long-term answer at signal caller, but can they pass up the value that Fisher represents? He gives them an heir to Jason Peters at the left tackle spot.

5. Detroit Lions: Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
    -Dee Milliner is tempting, but there will be some values at corner later at the top of the second round. The pass rushers could come off the board quickly, so the Lions strike on Ansah.

TRADE: Chargers trade a first & second round pick to Browns for first round pick.

6. San Diego Chargers (f/CLE): Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
    -The first trade of this mock sees the Chargers sacrificing a second round pick to move up and take one of the draft's best offensive lineman to fill their massive hole at left tackle.

7. Arizona Cardinals: Barkevious Mingo, LB, LSU
    -With the top linemen off the board, quarterback becomes a consideration. But Carson Palmer's acquisition may allow the Cardinals to wait and instead focus on an impact pass rusher.

8. Buffalo Bills: Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
    -Buffalo traded for Kevin Kolb, but they can't expect him to be their answer at the quarterback position. Unless their heart is set on Nassib, they'd be hard pressed to pass on Geno here.

TRADE: Dolphins trade a first and third round pick to Jets for first round pick.

9. Miami Dolphins (f/NYJ): Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
    -Trade #2 features the Miami Dolphins moving up three spots to grab the draft's best cornerback in Dee Milliner, who should factor into the starting line-up immediately.

10. Tennessee Titans: Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
    -The Titans added Andy Levitre at one guard spot, but Rob Turner is penciled in at the other. Cooper would be an upgrade at either guard or center.

11. Cleveland Browns (f/SD): Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
    -The Browns could have used Milliner themselves, but they couldn't pass up the addition of a second round pick. By moving down, they're able to add another offensive weapon in Austin, who can also help replace the loss of Joshua Cribbs on special teams.

12. New York Jets (f/MIA): Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
    -The Jets weren't thrilled with the board when they picked @ 9, and were more than happy to take Miami up on their offer. Here, they'll add the best available lineman in Warmack and plug him in from Day One next to D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
    -If the Buccaneers don't trade this pick for Darrelle Revis, then they'll likely be looking for secondary help in the draft. They're pleased to see Rhodes is still available here.

14. Carolina Panthers: Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
    -The Panthers may have been tempted to trade up, but they stood pat and were rewarded with a Top Ten prospect in Lotulelei. He'll become an immediate presence in the middle of their defensive line.

TRADE: Vikings trade a first and second round pick to New Orleans for first round pick.

15. Minnesota Vikings (f/NO): Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
    -The Vikings have ammunition to trade up and do so here in order to find a penetrating presence on the defensive line that they can plug in next to Kevin Williams.

16. St. Louis Rams: Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
    -If the Rams' offense is going to progress to the next level, they'll need more weapons. St. Louis is happy to see one available here in Patterson, arguably the draft's best receiver.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
    -Mike Tomlin personally attended Texas' pro day, and some speculate it was to get a closer look at a player who could be the heir to Troy Polamalu in the Pittsburgh secondary.

18. Dallas cowboys: Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
    -The Cowboys are disappointed to miss out on offensive line and secondary help, but as they transition to a 4-3 scheme, they'll need a talented defensive tackle as well.

19. New York Giants: Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
    -The Giants added Dan Connor in free agency, but that shouldn't be the only move they make at the linebacker position. Ogletree could compete with Connor or work on the weak side in New York.

20. Chicago Bears: Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
    -Having missed out on Ogletree, the Bears will consider a lineman like Fluker but instead improve their secondary with a talented prospect in Washington.

21. Cincinnati Bengals: D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama
    -With the future of Andre Smith in Cincinnati up in the air, the Bengals could look to find his replacement here in the draft, if Fluker is still on the board.

TRADE: Jaguars trade a second round pick and 2014 third round pick to Rams for first round pick.

22. Jacksonville Jaguars (f/STL): Matt Barkley, QB, USC
    -The Rams didn't like what they saw on the board, so they traded down with a Jacksonville team eager to move ahead of some other potential suitors for the draft's second best quarterback prospect.

23. Minnesota Vikings: Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
    -The Vikings have a need inside at linebacker, and while Manti Te'o is tempting, I tend to favor Arthur Brown and think he could play very well in the middle as well.

24. Indianapolis Colts Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia
    -The slide for Jarvis Jones ends, and while it's possible the Colts will get some trade offers for this pick, they're better off taking Jones themselves and plugging him into their 3-4.

25. New Orleans Saints (f/MIN): Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State
    -The Saints moved down to the latter half of the first round, and in doing so, they found an offensive lineman they can groom to become their new left tackle.

26. Green Bay Packers: Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
    -JerMichael Finley's future in Green Bay is up in the air, so while some other positions may make sense as well, I have the Packers shoring up their future at tight end.

27. Houston Texans: Kevin Minter, LB, LSU
    -A receiver might make sense, but there may not be a great fit here. Instead, Houston could look to the interior of their defense by adding Minter and lining him up at ILB.

TRADE: Bengals trade a second and fourth round pick to Broncos for first round pick.

28. Cincinnati Bengals (f/DEN): Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama
    -The Bengals need more weapons on offense, and while Lacy isn't exactly a compliment to BenJarvis Green Ellis, "Lawfirm" isn't exactly a great starter so Lacy can simply be his replacement.

29. New England Patriots: Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
    -The Patriots benefit from Werner's slip by grabbing him here and making him their starting left defensive end opposite of last year's first round pick Chandler Jones.

30. Atlanta Falcons: Cornellius Carradine, DE, Florida State
    -The Falcons added Osi Umenyiora in free agency, but pairing him with a potential Top 10 prospect in Tank Carradine on the other side would give the Falcons' defense a jumpstart.

31. San Francisco *****: Eric Reid, S, LSU
    -Surely the ***** don't think Craig Dahl is the answer for them in replacing Dashon Goldson. Look for them to continue to add some help at safety, possibly with Reid here.

32. Baltimore Ravens: Keenan Allen, WR, California
    -Baltimore traded away Anquan Boldin, so why not add a player who says he models his game after 'Quan? Allen could be available here after a concerning pro day performance.

ROUND TWO
    33. St. Louis Rams (f/JAX): Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International
    -By the time pick #22 rolled around, the Rams lost out on Fluker and Vaccaro and traded down. They're rewarded with Cyprien.

34. San Francisco ***** (f/KC): Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama
    -San Francisco comes back in Round Two with another defensive pick, this time adding a starting nose tackle to their defensive front.

35. Philadelphia Eagles: E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
    -This is a bit high for Manuel in my opinion, but it's possible he doesn't make it to Philly in the third, and they need to do something at quarterback.

36. Detroit Lions: Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State
    -Detroit passed on Dee Milliner in the first round, so they'll be pleased to see Taylor available in the second round.

37. Denver Broncos (f/CIN): Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
    -Denver moved down so that the Bengals could add Lacy at running back, and in doing so, they're still able to take a potential first round defensive end to replace Elvis Dumervil.

TRADE: Cowboys trade a second and fourth round pick to Arizona for second round pick.

38. Dallas Cowboys (f/ARI): Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M
    -The Cowboys sacrifice a fourth round pick to move up and grab Moore to play defensive end in their 4-3 scheme, vastly improving their defensive line through the first two rounds.

39. New York Jets: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
    -The Jets continue to give Mark Sanchez some help. this time with a weapon in the passing game. Hopkins is a potential first rounder and should compete to start immediately.

40. Tennessee Titans: Matt Elam, S, Florida
    -Bernard Pollard is not a long term solution for the Titans at strong safety; Tennessee played enough games against Bob Sanders to not count out a shorter safety.

TRADE: Bears trade a second and fifth round pick to Bills for second round pick.

41. Chicago Bears (f/BUF): Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame
    -The slide for Manti Te'o ends as Chicago pulls the trigger on a trade up,

42. Miami Dolphins: Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas-Pine Bluff
    -With the departure of Jake Long, the Dolphins need to consider taking an offensive tackle sooner rather than later, either to groom for Long's LT spot or to replace Jon Martin on the right side.

TRADE: Giants trade a second and fifth round pick to Buccaneers for second round pick.

43. New York Giants (f/TB): Margus Hunt, DE, Southern Methodist
    -The Giants see the writing on the wall with Justin Tuck and need to grab someone they can groom to replace him before it's too late.

44. Carolina Panthers: Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
    -The Panthers would have considered a receiver in the first had Star not fallen to them, so they'll be open to one here as well.

45. Cleveland Browns (f/SD): Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
    -Cleveland gained this pick from the first round trade, and grab the best defensive back on the board in Banks.

46. St. Louis Rams; Kyle Long, OT, Oregon
    -Long can learn the ropes as a pro and take over right tackle duties from Saffold next season, or he can compete immediately to start inside at guard.

47. Arizona Cardinals (f/DAL): Mike Glennon, QB, NC State
    -The Cardinals traded down, and in doing so, found better value for the quarterback they've had their eye on.

48. Pittsburgh Steelers: Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State
    -Steve McLendon is penciled in as the Steelers' starting nose tackle, which means they'd be wise to consider Hankins if he falls here.

49. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (f/NYG): Kawann Short, DT, Purdue
    -The Bucs moved down with the Giants and still found a capable defensive tackle to plug in next to Gerald McCoy.

50. Buffalo Bills (f/CHI): Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky
    -The Bills lost Andy Levitre in free agency and have done nothing to replace him. Warford was a star at the Senior Bowl.

51. Washington Redskins: David Amerson, DB, NC State
    -The Redskins' first pick is a defensive back who can compete for playing time as a safety, where Washington is particularly weak.

52. Minnesota Vikings: Robert Woods, WR, USC
    -Having addressed defensive needs in the first round, the Vikings come back in Round Two and land a versatile receiver in Woods.

53. Cincinnati Bengals: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
    -More weapons for the Bengals! A new offensive tackle and running back in Round One, and now a new outside receiver to take some pressure off of A.J. Green.

TRADE: Falcons trade a second and sixth round pick to Dolphins for second round pick.

54. Atlanta Falcons (f/MIA): Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
    -The Falcons need to groom an eventual replacement for Tony Gonzalez, and make an aggressive move up to grab a potential first round option in Ertz.

55. Green Bay Packers: Travis Frederick, C, Wisconsin
    -With Jeff Saturday's retirement, the Packers need a new answer at center. After Jonathan Cooper, many would argue Frederick is the best available.

56. Seattle Seahawks: Justin Pugh, OL, Syracuse
    -Seattle's first pick is an offensive lineman who can help them out at either of their two weakest positions, right guard or right tackle.

57. Houston Texans: Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
    -Houston has found their vertical receiving threat in Williams, who needs a bit of polish but knows how to get down field.

58. Denver Broncos: Johnathan Franklin, RB, UCLA
    -Willis McGahee is on the wrong side of 30, and Knowshon Moreno hasn't stepped up his game. Franklin could be Denver's heir in the backfield.

59. New England Patriots: D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston
    -New England brought Aqib Talib back, but only on a one-year deal. Ras-I Dowling is an injury risk, and Alfonzo Dennard has some off the field issues. They should consider bolstering this position.

60. Miami Dolphins (f/ATL): Alex Okafor, DE, Texas
    -Another pass rusher to help out Cameron Wake would improve Miami's defense, and Okafor is pretty good value here.

61. San Francisco *****: Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State
    -There's a school of thought that believes the ***** could trade up for a guy like Tavon Austin. Instead, they stay put and grab a different receiving weapon here in the second round.

62. Baltimore Ravens: Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse
    -With Michael Huff manning the free safety spot, the Ravens look towards Shamarko Thomas as their hard hitting starting strong safety.

FULL RAMS MOCK

R3. Sio Moore, LB, Connecticut

R4. Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina

R5. Sanders Commings, DB, Georgia

R6. Kwame Geathers, DT, Georgia

R7. T.J. Moe, WR, Missouri
    RealRam and FestusRam like this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: Nick's "Two Weeks & Counting" Trade-Filled Two Round NFL Mock & Full Rams Mock Dr

My hats of to you Nick, this is a great draft for the Rams IMO. And it's realistic to boot.

I did not give much thought to drafting Cordarrelle Patterson until about two weeks ago when he started to slip a bit and it looked like he could be there at 16. I think you are right about the best five O line men being off the board before we pick. At 22 this is a very real possibility, love the trade, keep stacking picks. Cyprien is going to be a very good player day one and the value makes sense. Long makes a ton if sense, tad higher then I thought he would go but he has moved up on a lot boards. I did a little research on T.J. Moe yesterday and he would be a the kind of late pick I would pull for to make the team.

There are a lot of things I like about this draft nice job!

Re: Nick's "Two Weeks & Counting" Trade-Filled Two Round NFL Mock & Full Rams Mock Dr

Thanks for the feedback!

I think, barring some kind of trade that throws everything for a loop, the Rams' pick @ 16 comes down to seven guys: Warmack, Cooper, Fluker, Ogletree, Patterson, Austin, or Vaccaro. Those seem to be the players who (1) play at positions of big need for the Rams, and (2) are widely projected to come off the board in the range including that pick.

In this scenario, three of the six were off the board. I had them go with the playmaker first with the hope that Fluker, Ogletree, or Vaccaro made it to 22. Since none of them did, a trade down makes sense if there's a QB needy team looking to move up. This freed the Rams up from the possibility of having to "reach" for a receiver @ 22 or wait until the second round.

At the top of the second round, I think Cyprien represents solid value and may be a better fit than Elam, though the Rams' visit with Shamarko Thomas suggests they're willing to consider more in-the-box style safeties as well. The Rams could afford to wait until Round Three for a safety, but the value matched up there and I wasn't blown away by the value of some other positions.

The thought process with Long, at least for me, is that (1) they're in a great position to provide some extra motivation with his brother on the team, (2) Saffold @ RT gives Long some time to acclimate to the NFL and emerge as the starting right tackle in 2014. Some might complain that a second rounder should provide more immediate impact, so maybe you try Long out at left guard. He played that position a bit at Oregon so it wouldn't be out of left field.

But I think when you look at Quick, the Rams are willing to consider a guy even though he might need some work out of the gate. Long is a bit older than you'd like when it comes to a rookie who will need some development, but I think that's less of a concern for an offensive lineman.

Moore in the third would be a great combination of value meeting need, and he's a guy who has already visited Rams Park so you know they've got some level of interest. Lattimore is probably going to come off the board between Rounds 3-5, and I think working him back in slowly as part of a committee could be good for him. If the Rams wait until Day Three to add a runner, he'd be among the best possible options.

I'm intrigued by Commings as a 'tweener defensive back who could get some work at safety if the Rams are comfortable with Trumaine Johnson despite his offseason mistake. He kind of reminds me of Tru in the sense that here's a guy who could go in either direction, corner or safety, and I wonder if that's something that will make him more appealing to Fisher and company as a depth player.

Geathers is a massive body but surprisingly athletic, when it comes to the late rounds I think that's the kind of guy you take a chance on and see if you can coach him up as a rotational player. The article that was recently posted on Moe was very interesting and seemed to suggest more than a passing interest from the Rams.

I could see a scenario, with this projection in mind, where the situation at receiver is very fluid. Patterson, Givens, and Quick are the top three receivers and move around heavily; I think you could see Patterson and Givens start in two-WR sets, then when Quick comes in, you shift Givens inside or give Givens a breather and use Patterson/Quick outside with Cook inside. Moe gives you some more versatility with another guy who can operate in the slot but not one that's going to demand a lot of time on the field given his draft position.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

To drop down 11 spots and out of the first, my heart would want more than a future 3rd round pick.

But my brain feels that's about what we could get.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    To drop down 11 spots and out of the first, my heart would want more than a future 3rd round pick.

But my brain feels that's about what we could get.
    We would get more then just a future third, we would get a second and a third is how I see it.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

LEGIT draft. I guess you know your way to my heart (Patterson, Cyprien, Moore).

THE DREAM TEAM

The point of the trade down wasn't really the compensation, but merely what would happen to this projection if the opportunity presented itself. You can assume the Rams got a 2014 first rounder, if you'd like.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The point of the trade down wasn't really the compensation, but merely what would happen to this projection if the opportunity presented itself. You can assume the Rams got a 2014 first rounder, if you'd like.
    Why didn't you say so? That being the case, I envision a 2014 AND 2015 first round pick.
    TekeRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!
    The thought process with Long, at least for me, is that (1) they're in a great position to provide some extra motivation with his brother on the team, (2) Saffold @ RT gives Long some time to acclimate to the NFL and emerge as the starting right tackle in 2014. Some might complain that a second rounder should provide more immediate impact, so maybe you try Long out at left guard. He played that position a bit at Oregon so it wouldn't be out of left field.
    The trades in each round really puts together a solid mock Nick. In response to the pickup of Kyle Long, I think with Warford on the board it would be a tough arguement to pass him up over Kyle. Warford is a better "puncher" at LG, and could obviously start on day one and be productive. Warford just isn't that far off from Cooper and Warmack on a talent level, yet I could see the upside with having Long as the selection for the RT position next year.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    There's a lot I like, but I can't get on board with Lattimore.

SWFCRAM is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Just wondering what puts you off the Lattimore pick. Is it too early for you or would you rather look at other prospects that can contribute immediately?

FestusRam is online now Registered User

Awesome mock! I'm going to post my own soon and the Patterson(16), Long(46), and Lattimore(113) picks are my choices too! I'd be ecstatic if the Rams got these three. A trade down in which we acquire extra picks would be nice too, but I'd take E.Reid at 22 instead of trading down and grabbing Cyprien. I really like Reid's potential and I'd hate to see him go to the *****. They can keep Craig Dahl starting.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Nick, I love your mock. It seems like a realistic yet dream like scenario. Hopefully Snead and Fisher can pull something off similar to your mock. That would truly be an incredible year 2 for our new GM and Fisher, on paper at least.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by SWFCRAM View Post

Just wondering what puts you off the Lattimore pick. Is it too early for you or would you rather look at other prospects that can contribute immediately?
    Both of those are factors. I also don't think he necessarily would have been an elite prospect if he had never been injured. His numbers at South Carolina were very good, but not spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    The trades in each round really puts together a solid mock Nick. In response to the pickup of Kyle Long, I think with Warford on the board it would be a tough arguement to pass him up over Kyle. Warford is a better "puncher" at LG, and could obviously start on day one and be productive. Warford just isn't that far off from Cooper and Warmack on a talent level, yet I could see the upside with having Long as the selection for the RT position next year.
    Warford was a consideration, but I went with Long as an eventual replacement for Saffold. Consider this a mock for the portion of the fan base that feels Watkins can start at left guard.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I can understand that, but for me, I felt like Day Three of the draft was a comfortable enough spot to maybe take that risk.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Awesome mock! I'm going to post my own soon and the Patterson(16), Long(46), and Lattimore(113) picks are my choices too! I'd be ecstatic if the Rams got these three. A trade down in which we acquire extra picks would be nice too, but I'd take E.Reid at 22 instead of trading down and grabbing Cyprien. I really like Reid's potential and I'd hate to see him go to the *****. They can keep Craig Dahl starting.
    I wouldn't complain with Reid @ 22, but the opportunity to pick up an additional 2014 pick while still being able to get a talented prospect was fine with me as well. My compensation for the move down probably was too low, but regardless, this would give the Rams five picks in the first three rounds in '14. Lots of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Nick, I love your mock. It seems like a realistic yet dream like scenario. Hopefully Snead and Fisher can pull something off similar to your mock. That would truly be an incredible year 2 for our new GM and Fisher, on paper at least.
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast