• 1 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By punahou
  • 1 Post By mde8352gorams
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By Sauceman

Thread: Nick's Updated Two-Round NFL Mock and 5-Round Rams Mock Draft

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Updated Two-Round NFL Mock and 5-Round Rams Mock Draft

A couple of changes as free agency shifts some things around, projections are always fun and a useful way of trying to gauge how things could turn out. The Rams have something like 5-6 picks in the 6th and 7th rounds which I had no desire to try and project today. Fill those in as you'd like, I suppose. As always, constructive feedback is welcome!

ROUND ONE
    1. Houston Texans: Blake Bortles, QB, UCF
    -Will the Texans take a risk and skip out on the quarterback here, hoping to grab one later? Their moves this offseason seem to suggest to me that a passer will be the pick, and Bortles has the least question marks.

2. St. Louis Rams (f/WAS): Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
    -I'm anticipating a trade down, though not projecting it in this mock. The Rams seem gung-ho on Bradford as their franchise QB, which means securing his blindside protection for years to come should be a priority.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
    -If Jadeveon Clowney drops to Jacksonville, I don't think they'll be able to pass on him in spite of their need for a quarterback. They can come back in Round Two and get a passer.

4. Cleveland Browns: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
    -Will the Browns take a quarterback or one of the best players available? This will be a big mystery leading up to the draft, but I don't think the new regime will pass on value.

5. Oakland Raiders: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
    -New reports indicate that Austin Howard was signed to play guard, meaning Jake Matthews could step into the familiar role of right tackle before eventually replacing Donald Penn on the left side.

6. Atlanta Falcons: Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo
    -I wouldn't be surprised to see the Falcons trade up to secure Mack, who would be an excellent fit in the 30-front that Atlanta has been quietly building towards this offseason.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    -A quarterback makes some sense, but the signing of Josh McCown suggest to me Lovie Smith thinks he can compete now. Evans gives McCown - and whoever the future QB of Tampa is - another great target to throw to.

8. Minnesota Vikings: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
    -Some believe the Texas A&M polarizing passer compares favorably to Fran Tarkenton; if the Vikings end up feeling the same way, they may find him hard to resist here.

9. Buffalo Bills: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
    -Buffalo could opt for an offensive weapon, but instead get a mauling right tackle in Lewan to help solidify their offensive line for years to come.

10. Detroit Lions: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
    -Detroit's best corner on the current roster is Chris Houston. Needless to say, there is some room for improvement in the back end of the Lions' defense.

11. Tennessee Titans: Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA
    -Barr is a potential Top Ten pick whom the Titans would love to see fall to them, as they find pieces to help transition to the 3-4 defensive scheme.

12. New York Giants: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
    -The Giants lost Linval Joseph in free agency to the Vikings, and really don't have much to pair next to Cullen Jenkins on their defensive line.

13. St. Louis Rams: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    -Though I think Hasean Clinton-Dix would be a great selection to fill a glaring need at safety, Dennard would immediately become this team's top corner.

14. Chicago Bears: Hasean Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
    -The Bears may have missed out on Aaron Donald, but they get their choice of safeties here and opt for Alabama's Clinton-Dix, arguably the best in the class.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
    -If Eric Ebron falls to the Steelers, they'll be hard pressed to pass on him. They'd love the opportunity to add a big target for Ben Roethlisberger.

16. Dallas Cowboys: Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri
    -Dallas needs to replace departing pass rushers Demarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer, and Missouri's Ealy is the best pass rusher currently on the board.

17. Baltimore Ravens: Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame
    -Michael Oher has departed, leaving the Ravens with a hole at right tackle. There's some depth at tackle, but it would be hard to pass on Martin here.

18. New York Jets: Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
    -Some have compared Oregon State's Brandin Cooks to Tavon Austin, which is exactly the kind of player that's going to help Geno Smith reach his potential.

19. Miami Dolphins: Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State
    -Ohio State's Shazier can help the Dolphins begin to move on from the free agent mistakes that were Philip Wheeler and Dannell Ellerbe.

20. Arizona Cardinals: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
    -The Cardinals end Teddy's freefall as they find an intelligent passer to groom behind current starter Carson Palmer.

21. Green Bay Packers: Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville
    -The safety position was a disaster for the Packers last season, so if they're lucky enough to see one of the top two prospects, they should snatch him up.

22. Philadelphia Eagles: Dee Ford, LB, Auburn
    -Cornerback makes a lot of sense, but I view Dee Ford as being a better value than any remaining CB and he fills a need for the Eagles' defense.

23. Kansas City Chiefs: Marqise Lee, WR, USC
    -The Chiefs need to give Alex Smith someone other than Dwayne Bowe to catch passes from. Lee should be considered good value here after previously being in the mix as a Top 15 prospect.

24. Cincinnati Bengals: Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State
    -The Bengals may have bigger needs, but it's hard to pass up on Jernigan when you consider Geno Atkins is returning from a torn ACL.

25. San Diego Chargers: Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame
    -The Chargers lost their nose tackle Cam Thomas to the Pittsburgh Steelers, and could look to replace him in the draft if Nix falls to them.

26. Cleveland Browns (f/IND): Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    -The Browns passed on a quarterback early and are rewarded with oen here; there's talk that Carr may come off the board earlier than this.

27. New Orleans Saints: Odell Beckham, WR, LSU
    -Marques Colston turns 31 years old this summer, and the Saints really don't have a consistent wide receiver across from him.

28. Carolina Panthers: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    -Receiver and offensive tackle might be bigger needs, but the value on the board is at cornerback where Captain Munnerlyn needs to be replaced.

29. New England Patriots: Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
    -Bill Belichick and six other Patriots staff members worked Benjamin out last week. If he reaches his potential, he could be the best receiver Tom Brady has thrown to since Randy Moss.

30. San Francisco *****: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
    -The ***** need some help in the secondary, where Tarell Brown and Carlos Rogers are no longer featured. Fuller should compete for time immediately.

31. Denver Broncos: C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama
    -If Mosley is available here, he'd be a great get for this defense. The Broncos could really use a more talented option in the middle of their front seven.

32. Seattle Seahawks: Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
    -Moses reminds some of Vikings right tackle Phil Loadholt, and would certainly be a big upgrade over current projected starter Michael Bowie.

ROUND TWO
    33. Houston Texans: Chris Borland, LB, Wisconsin
    -Houston finds an enforcer for the inside of their 3-4 defense.

34. Washington Redskins: Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois
    -Washington's first pick addresses a big need area in the back end of their secondary.

35. Cleveland Browns: Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA
    -Cleveland continues to upgrade their offense, this time with one of the draft's best guards.

36. Oakland Raiders: RaShede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
    -With Pat Sims no longer with the team, the Raiders need another starting defensive tackle.

37. Atlanta Falcons: Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
    -Kouandjio would be excellent value here, if the Falcons believe he's healthy.

38. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise State
    -Pairing Lawrence with Michael Johnson gives Lovie Smith a dangerous pass rush.

39. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
    -Jacksonville finds their quarterback in Garoppolo.

40. Minnesota Vikings: Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State
    -Crichton helps fill the hole left by the departing Jared Allen.

41. Buffalo Bills: Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
    -The Bills add another weapon on offense in the form of Penn State's Robinson.

42. Tennessee Titans: Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
    -Roby will be counted on to help replace Alterraun Verner.

43. New York Giants: Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
    -The Giants need an upgrade at tight end, and Amaro offers mismatch potential.

44. St. Louis Rams: Deone Bucannon, S, Washington State
    -The Rams get their safety in Bucannon, a tough as nails defender in the secondary.

45. Detroit Lions: Carl Bradford, LB, Arizona State
    -Bradford could step in right away either on the strong side or in the middle.

46. Pittsburgh Steelers: Marcus Robinson, CB, Florida
    -Robinson will be counted on to replace the aging Ike Taylor as Pittsburgh's top corner.

47. Dallas Cowboys: David Yankey, OG, Stanford
    -Yankey continues to bolster the Dallas interior as a clear upgrade over Ronald Leary or Mackenzy Bernadeau.

48. Baltimore Ravens: Stephon Tuitt, DL, Notre Dame
    -The loss of Arthur Jones means there's a hole on Baltimore's defensive line.

49. New York Jets: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
    -The Jets continue to add weapons to their offense for whoever their quarterback ends up being.

50. Miami Dolphins: Jack Mewhort, OT, Ohio State
    -The Dolphins have Branden Albert at left tackle, and this pick secures the right side of their line.

51. Chicago Bears: DaQuan Jones, DT, Penn State
    -Jones gives the Bears a big body on the inside to help defend the run.

52. Arizona Cardinals: Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU
    -Arizona passed on a pass rusher to take a QB to groom, but find their linebacker here.

53. Green Bay Packers: Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame
    -Niklas can help ease the loss of departing tight end Jermichael Finley.

54. Philadelphia Eagles: Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
    -The Eagles need more help at corner, and SJB is a fast riser in a league looking for size at the position.

55. San Francisco (f/KC): Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
    -San Francisco doesn't appear satisfied with Quinton Patton and could look for more receiver help.

56. Cincinnati Bengals: Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida
    -Watkins is a scrappy defender who offers some positional versatility.

57. San Diego Chargers: Trent Murphy, LB, Stanford
    -San Diego continues to try and find a capable pass rusher, this time turning to Murphy.

58. Indianapolis Colts: Terrence Brooks, S, Florida State
    -With their first pick in this draft, the Colts look to upgrade a poor secondary.

59. New Orleans Saints: Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State
    -With Brian De La Puente gone, the Saints need help at the center position.

60. Carolina Panthers: Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee
    -Carolina grabs Richardson as a potential answer to their hole at left tackle.

61. New England Patriots: Dominique Easley, DT, Florida
    -Easley could be a monster for the Patriots if he works out.

62. San Francisco *****: Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State
    -San Francisco continues to add playmakers, nabbing a potential early down replacement for Frank Gore.

63. Denver Broncos: Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State
    -Zane Beadles is gone, and the Broncos need to make sure they're protecting Manning.

64. Seattle Seahawks: Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss
    -Seattle was rumored to be in the market for DeSean Jackson, but will look for cheaper help in the draft.

EXTENDED RAMS DRAFT
    Round 3: Telvin Smith, LB, Florida State
    -Smith has a reputation as an aggressive blitzer, which should appeal to Greg Williams.

Round 4: Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
    -Murray gives the Rams a developmental passer to groom behind Bradford and new backup Shaun Hill.

Round 5: Jon Halapio, OG, Florida
    -Halapio is a thick and durable interior lineman who could provide quality depth inside.
    eric2810 likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's Updated Two-Round NFL Mock and 5-Round Rams Mock Draft

If we take Dennard who goes to the slot CB?

I hope we trade back and it would be nice to get the Browns second round pick and take Xavier Su'a-Filo right where you have him going. I hope we can get two starting linemen for this year.

Like the Aaron Murray pick a lot.

I'm fine if we don't take a WR until the fifth or later we still could get one that late in this draft IMO.

The only pick I don't like is taking a LB in the 3rd.

Nice mock for sure.
    ManofGod likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If we take Dennard who goes to the slot CB?
    My preliminary guess would be Jenkins.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    My preliminary guess would be Jenkins.
    I agree his aggressive style could be used near the line of scrimmage and not hurt us on big plays he tends to give up.
    Nick likes this.

punahou is offline Registered User

hmmmmm

not a Robinson fan and not a Dennard fan..... other than that its fine =P

I like Murray, and I heard Gil Brandt on the radio numerous times say that Murray is the best QB hes seen in a while
    Nick likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Nick, you are the best! With all my draftnik craziness I could never have the patience to do what you do with these mocks.

Good picks for us. Ironically I heard Charley Casserly make a passing remark that he though C-Dix was a better Safety than K. Vacarro and Eric Reid from last year, pretty high praise. My question about your mock is what about WR? I've been on a Sammy Watkins tear lately until I read an article about which I just started a thread. Love Bucannon for us in round 2, he could pair nicely with TJ. Interesting pick of Teddy Bridgewater to AZ, haven't seen that elsewhere. Because I think he'll be good eventually, I hope you're wrong. I feel the same about Hyde to the 9'ers, don't forget they have Marcus Lattimore coming online this year. Regarding QB's do you really think Murray will last to round 4.

Good draft, I tend to think we'll trade #2, but with whom is becoming an interesting question.

Go Rams!
    Nick likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I like it a lot.

Robinson, Dennard and Bucannon all get big thumbs up from me.

Like the Smith pick, though I'd also consider a RB at that spot.

I'm not a big Aaron Murray fan. He seems to me to be a Ty Detmer type.

Halapio would be a very good value in Round 5.
    Nick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    hmmmmm

not a Robinson fan and not a Dennard fan..... other than that its fine =P

I like Murray, and I heard Gil Brandt on the radio numerous times say that Murray is the best QB hes seen in a while
    Sorry for the first round, then!

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Nick, you are the best! With all my draftnik craziness I could never have the patience to do what you do with these mocks.

Good picks for us. Ironically I heard Charley Casserly make a passing remark that he though C-Dix was a better Safety than K. Vacarro and Eric Reid from last year, pretty high praise. My question about your mock is what about WR? I've been on a Sammy Watkins tear lately until I read an article about which I just started a thread. Love Bucannon for us in round 2, he could pair nicely with TJ. Interesting pick of Teddy Bridgewater to AZ, haven't seen that elsewhere. Because I think he'll be good eventually, I hope you're wrong. I feel the same about Hyde to the 9'ers, don't forget they have Marcus Lattimore coming online this year. Regarding QB's do you really think Murray will last to round 4.

Good draft, I tend to think we'll trade #2, but with whom is becoming an interesting question.

Go Rams!
    I think Clinton-Dix is somewhat underrated here. In my previous mock, there seemed to be some feedback about not thinking he's worth the selection @ 13. Frankly, I could see him going 10th to Detroit. So I would be fine with him as the selection, and I think it's interesting that Casserly thinks he's better than two guys who went in the mid teens last year.

I didn't go WR in this mock, mostly due to the impending Kenny Britt news. I think with Britt, Austin, Bailey, Givens, Quick, and Pettis, you've got your group, for better or worse. And frankly, I perceive this team's need at the position to be for a top #1 type guy. If you're not drafting someone in the first or second, I don't know if you're going to get that. I felt OT was the best combo of value/need with pick #2, didn't see a receiver of good value with pick #13, and the best option in the second round was Jordan Matthews whom I like but I also liked the value of the safeties there.

As for Murray, I think he could sneak into the second day discussion, but I went with it anyways. It's hard to get a read on where these QBs are valued this year.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I like it a lot.

Robinson, Dennard and Bucannon all get big thumbs up from me.

Like the Smith pick, though I'd also consider a RB at that spot.

I'm not a big Aaron Murray fan. He seems to me to be a Ty Detmer type.

Halapio would be a very good value in Round 5.
    Glad to hear it!

Sauceman is offline Registered User

I think the only thing I'm not a huge fan of with this mock is missing a top WR prospect, but unless we're spending a top pick on Watkins or Evans, I don't think I'm too upset by it.
    Nick likes this.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Before the combine I liked the clinton pick at 13. Filled a big need, and a great get, but around the combine, there was talk about him not being the awesome safety, and a situation of picking a so so (in this yrs draft) then a great cb cause the need is more at fs, but now people are talking him up again. Why the turn around? More film watching?

Mikey is offline Registered User

Love it!

Robinson upgrades the line and helps both the running and passing game. I am a bigger Matthews fan but wouldn't complain if we drafted Robinson over him. The Dennard/Buchannon combination will solidify our secondary which was the major weakness of the defense. Those two coupled with the upgrade in scheme with Gregg Williams will make us a top defense in the NFL. I agree with AV an RB in round three could be a great pick. Stacy has a habit of getting nicked up and Pead and Richardson haven't shown a ton when they've been relied on for more than spot carries. If Tre Mason somehow falls to the 3rd Snead should be clamoring over the phone to try to trade up to grab him. We know we have 2 6th's and 4 7th's with the comps so we have some lower round ammo to move up. I think Murray will be a good QB for the type of offense that Fisher likes to run so he could be the guy they target. Halapio would be great value and depth that late. He could be called on to start early if Long isn't back on time or if Saffold gets hurt early again. With those 6 picks in the last two rounds I wouldn't be surprised if we trade up somewhere spending a few. Otherwise the youngest team in the NFL will set themselves up to carry that title a few more years by adding a lot of line depth late in this draft. Also could trade some of those late picks for late 2015 picks.

Overall like the mock a lot and think those first three picks help the team the most by addressing big areas of need.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Would, could ... Deone Bucannon, safety supersede Darqueze Dennard, cornerback at #13?

No? Hmm, thought I'd give it a try.

Oh, and I'd be elated to see Robinson at #2! Matthews <> Robinson.
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-27-2014 at 05:19 PM.