Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Updated Two-Round NFL Mock and Full Seven-Round Rams Mock

Took another shot at a two-round NFL mock this weekend, and decided to mix in a full seven-round Rams mock as well. Overall I'm pretty pleased with how everything turned out. A couple of nice surprises across the league in the first two rounds, and I think the Rams mock addressed a number of their needs. Feedback is always appreciated!

ROUND ONE
    1. Carolina Panthers: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
    -With Nick Fairley and Da’Quan Bowers slipping slightly down draft boards, the Newton-to-Carolina pick is starting to pick up steam.

2. Denver Broncos: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
    -Peterson’s addition would give Denver one of the top pairs of CBs in the league, or could facilitate Champ Bailey’s transition to safety.

3. Buffalo Bills: Marcell Dareus, DE, Alabama
    -The Bills are looking for an impact player with this pick, and adding Alabama’s Marcell Dareus to their three-man front gives them just that.

4. Cincinnati Bengals: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
    -Quarterback could get a consideration here due to Carson Palmer’s retirement threats, but it’s tough to pass on a complete receiver like A.J. Green.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M
    -The Cardinals are another team who may consider a quarterback, but adding Von Miller to help their pass rush would be a better move.

6. Cleveland Browns: Da’Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
    -Cleveland’s transition to the 4-3 defense means they’ll need to find a pass-rushing force at the defensive end position. Bowers is a potential top pick.

7. San Francisco *****: Robert Quinn, LB, North Carolina
    -Quinn shouldn’t have a problem standing up and playing linebacker in San Francisco’s 3-4 defensive scheme.

8. Tennessee Titans: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
    -Fairley slips down to the Titans, who currently employ the same defensive line coach that Nick worked with at Auburn.

9. Dallas Cowboys: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
    -Dallas could consider help along their offensive or defensive lines, but with needs in the secondary, it will be hard to pass up a Prince.

10. Washington Redskins: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
    -The Redskins need to begin planning for life after Donovan McNabb, and drafting arguably the best passer in this class is a nice way to start.

11. Houston Texans: Cameron Jordan, DE, California
    -The Texans are switching to the 3-4 defense next year under Wade Phillips, and need to find another five-technique end to start opposite of Mario Williams.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Jake Locker, QB, Washington
    -Locker may be a bit of a reach at this point, but Minnesota is desperate for a quarterback and might not find one available in round two.

13. Detroit Lions: Tyron Smith, OT, USC
    -Jeff Backus had a good year in 2010, but the Lions will want to have a replacement in line in case he falters.

14. St. Louis Rams: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
    -The Rams will pair Jones with franchise quarterback Sam Bradford for a combo that could dominate the NFC West.

15. Miami Dolphins: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
    -Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams are likely leaving as free agents; Ingram would step in and immediately fill the hole.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri
    -Jacksonville is hoping that Missouri’s Smith will help solve a pass rush problem that the Jags can’t seem to fix.

17. New England Patriots (f/OAK): J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin
    -Watt had an incredible Combine workout and may not be available here; if he is, New England would be wise to add him to their club.

18. San Diego Chargers: Justin Houston, LB, Georgia
    -Shawne Merriman is gone and Larry English hasn’t distinguished himself. Expect the Chargers to look for pass rush help early.

19. New York Giants: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
    -David Diehl can continue manning the left tackle spot until Nate Solder is ready to take over, at which point Diehl can shift back inside to guard.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
    -Ideal scenario for Tampa, who needs to improve their personnel at defensive end after spending their first two 2010 picks on tackles.

21. Kansas City Chiefs: Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor
    -Taylor is gaining a lot of steam as a potential first round pick, and Kansas City would love a clogger for the middle of their 3-4 scheme.

22. Indianapolis Colts: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
    -Carimi could play either tackle position or inside at guard; either way, the Colts will give him a hard look as they try to improve Peyton’s protection.

23. Philadelphia Eagles: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
    -Cornerback will be a strong consideration here, but the right side of the Philadelphia line could also use a big upgrade.

24. New Orleans Saints: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
    -A down season and some offseason medical concerns have caused Clayborn to slip, but I doubt New Orleans will mind one bit.

25. Seattle Seahawks: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
    -Marcus Trufant is losing effectiveness, and Kelly Jennings is better off as a reserve. Smith could become a top corner in Seattle.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland
    -The Ravens would like to add some speed to their receiving corps, and Smith’s 4.41 forty-yard dash shows he has it.

27. Atlanta Falcons: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
    -After the Jamaal Anderson debacle, Atlanta needs to find a defensive end capable of starting opposite of John Abraham.

28. New England Patriots: Brooks Reed, LB, Arizona
    -Reed is really gaining some momentum, as he’s drawn comparisons to Clay Matthews. A LB-needy team like New England could snatch him up.

29. Chicago Bears: Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois
    -The Tommie Harris era in Chicago is over, which means they need to find a new penetrator on the inside of their line.

30. New York Jets: Muhammad Wilkerson, DL, Temple
    -Wilkerson would be a great fit for the Jets, as they need all the help they can get at the five-technique position.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida
    -The Steelers saw great return from one Pouncey in 2010, so why not try their luck with two?

32. Green Bay Packers: Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA
    -Ayers’ workout at the Combine was not impressive, but the game tape shows a versatile player who would be appreciated by defending Super Bowl champions.

ROUND TWO
    33. New England Patriots (f/CAR): Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor
    -Stephen Neal is not coming back in 2011, so the Patriots have a hole at right guard to fill.

34. Buffalo Bills: Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
    -The Bills are hoping that Sherrod can have the same kind of impact that Rodger Saffold did for the Rams in this spot.

35. Cincinnati Bengals: Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
    -The Bengals elected not to reach for a QB in round one, and instead get a very talented – although somewhat risky – one here.

36. Denver Broncos: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
    -Denver’s conversion to the 4-3 defense means they’ll need to upgrade at defensive tackle.

37. Cleveland Browns: Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami
    -Hankerson has been steadily rising up draft boards this offseason, and would make a nice target for Colt McCoy.

38. Arizona Cardinals: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
    -Harris was one considered a first round pick, but the Cardinals will be happy to find him here in the second round.

39. Tennessee Titans: Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State
    -Having passed on Blaine Gabbert in round one, the Titans are thrilled to find Ponder available here.

40. Dallas Cowboys: Ben Ijalana, OT, Villanova
    -If Ijalana can be anything like the monster he was at the FCS level, he should lock down the RT job in Dallas sooner rather than later.

41. Washington Redskins: Christian Ballard, DE, Iowa
    -Ballard is a solid five-technique prospect; the Redskins need more pieces for their 3-4 defense if they expect to have success with it.

42. Houston Texans: Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois
    -Finding an outside pass-rusher for their new 3-4 scheme is going to be a priority for Houston this offseason.

43. Minnesota Vikings: Stefan Wisniewski, C, Penn State
    -They’ve found their quarterback, so how about a new center to go with him? Wisniewski will help shore up a disappointing Minnesota OL.

44. Detroit Lions: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
    -Great value for Williams here, as he should step in and contribute immediately in the Detroit secondary.

45. San Francisco *****: Mikel LeShoure, RB, Illinois
    -Bit of an out-of-the-box pick, but Frank Gore is (1) coming off of injury, (2) entering a contract year, and (3) turns 28-years-old in May.

46. Denver Broncos (f/MIA): Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
    -Outstanding value for Rudolph, who should step in as Denver’s starting tight end from Day One.

47. St. Louis Rams: Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina
    -The Rams have been trying to get by with spare parts at the OLB position. If healthy, Carter represents a serious upgrade.

48. Oakland Raiders: Rodney Hudson, OL, Florida State
    -Hudson’s versatility will be appreciated by an Oakland team that could use help at both the guard and center positions.

49. Jacksonville Jaguars: Rahim Moore, FS, UCLA
    -Like their defensive end spot, the free safety position has been troublesome for the Jags to fill. Could they have their answer in Moore?

50. San Diego Chargers: Jon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
    -The Chargers may be losing some talent at receiver this year, so expect them to consider a talent like Baldwin here in Round Two.

51. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mason Foster, LB, Washington
    -Foster has had an impressive offseason and may have raised his stock into the second round range.

52. New York Giants: Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech
    -There’s uncertainty surrounding the long-term status of Ahmad Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs. Williams would give the Giants some flexibility.

53. Indianapolis Colts: Drake Nevis, DT, LSU
    -After addressing their offensive line in the first round, the Colts could come back in Round Two and help their defensive line.

54. Philadelphia Eagles: Curtis Brown, CB, Texas
    -The Eagles passed on a cornerback in the first round, and instead opt to grab a solid second round prospect in Brown.

55. Kansas City Chiefs: Titus Young, WR, Boise State
    -Young will give Kansas City a dynamic weapon opposite of Dwayne Bowe in the starting line-up.

56. New Orleans Saints: Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State
    -Jones is a bit undersized, but should help upgrade a Saints team in need of some OLB help.

57. Seattle Seahawks: Marcus Cannon, OL, TCU
    -Seattle has needs at guard and tackle, and Cannon has the ability to be tried at either spot on the right side.

58. Baltimore Ravens: Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
    -The Ravens need to add some talent to a depleted group of cornerbacks, and Dowling has first-round ability.

59. Atlanta Falcons: Jerrel Jernigan, WR, Troy
    -Finding Matt Ryan more weapons should be an offseason priority for the Falcons; Jernigan is undersized but dynamic.

60. New England Patriots: Randall Cobb, WR, Kentucky
    -The Patriots receiving corps has undergone some changes recently, and could be in line for a talent infusion.

61. Chicago Bears: Orlando Franklin, OL, Miami
    -Franklin could line up at tackle or guard at the next level, which is fine for a Chicago team with needs at both spots.

62. San Diego Chargers (f/NYJ): Allen Bailey, DE, Miami
    -Bailey has loads of ability but hasn’t been able to put it all together. Perhaps the Chargers can turn the light on for him.

63. Pittsburgh Steelers: Davon House, CB, New Mexico State
    -Besides Ike Taylor, there’s not much to speak of at cornerback for the Steelers. House’s combination of size and speed make him very intriguing.

64. Green Bay Packers: Jarvis Jenkins, DL, Clemson
    -Cullen Jenkins is on the way out, meaning the Packers may want to improve their personnel at the five-technique position.

FULL RAMS DAFT

Round Three: Tyler Sash, S, Iowa
    -Craig Dahl is adequate but unspectacular on the strong side, and losing Atogwe created a hole at free safety. Sash is a versatile player who could fit the mold of what Spags wants at the position.

Round Four: Derrick Locke, RB, Kentucky
    -Finding a change of pace ‘back behind Steven Jackson will be a priority this offseason, and Locke is a nice option in the mid-rounds.

Round Five: Ricky Elmore, DE, Arizona
    -Elmore has enough length to add another 10-15 pounds, and fits the mold of a pass rusher that Spags would like to develop.

Round Six: Justin Boren, OG, Ohio State
    -Boren played at an elite university and would add solid depth to a position in flux for the Rams.

Round Seven: Chris Neild, DT, West Virginia
    -Neild was stout for West Virginia in the middle of the line, and could be part of a rotation at nose tackle.

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's Updated Two-Round NFL Mock and Full Seven-Round Rams Mock

If the cardinals do not draft a QB in the first round, i dont see Fitzgerald staying. My hope, although its a long shot, is that the Rams finally wake up and get us that #1 receiver that Fitz is.
    Bradford + Fitzgerald + McDaniels = Superbowl 2013

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    If the cardinals do not draft a QB in the first round, i dont see Fitzgerald staying. My hope, although its a long shot, is that the Rams finally wake up and get us that #1 receiver that Fitz is.
    (would be a dream come true)

Great job as always Nick, and I would be ecstatic if this is how we make out.

If the cardinals do not draft a QB in the first round, i dont see Fitzgerald staying.
    My gut feeling is that the Cardinals will try to add a veteran in free agency, whenever that may be. They already have two young prospects in Max Hall and John Skelton. They need a veteran leader in the mix, not another rookie.

My hope, although its a long shot, is that the Rams finally wake up and get us that #1 receiver that Fitz is.
    Although I don't have the Rams getting Fitz, I do have them going after a #1 receiver in this mock in Julio Jones.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I think the rams are fully aware of how good fitz is, whether the cards will trade him to us is another story. Interesting question. Would you rather have Jones with our first round pick or trade 2 number one's for fitzgerald?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Overall the Rams draft is good and the 2 round mock is also good

However: with atogwe signing in Washington i think Safety is a bigger hole than OLB. I know you have us taking sash but in the 3rd round; we take Bruce Carter over Rahim Moore?

With the huge gapping hole at saftey can we even afford to not take the best safety in the draft if we are given a chance to? BTW i do like Bruce Carter and do think OLB should be addressed with a high priority but if available shouldn't moore be the pick?

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    I know you have us taking sash but in the 3rd round; we take Bruce Carter over Rahim Moore?
    I thought about that, but I'm not convinced Moore is versatile/physical enough for Spags. Moore kind of strikes me to be closer to Atogwe than what Spags might look for in a safety.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

According to this mock do you expect Robert Sands to drop to us in round 3 but you prefer Sash? Or did he not make it to us?

I would much rather have Sands.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I thought about that, but I'm not convinced Moore is versatile/physical enough for Spags. Moore kind of strikes me to be closer to Atogwe than what Spags might look for in a safety.
    With all the blitzing spags does with his LBs doesnt he need someone that will play those deep zones well? If we want a physical saftey we can add a strong saftey that fits that mold (possibly next year). So dont wee neeed an atogwe type to suceed?

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    According to this mock do you expect Robert Sands to drop to us in round 3 but you prefer Sash? Or did he not make it to us?

I would much rather have Sands.
    Not sure he makes it to us, as he'll probably appeal to other teams with needs at the position like Dallas and Houston. But to be honest, even as a big Sands fan, how many successful 6'5" NFL safeties do you see in the league, particularly free safeties? People fall in love with the size, but fans were clamoring for Pat Watkins for the same reasons. We'll see what happens, and again I'm about as big of a Sands fan as they come having watched him here at WVU, but I don't think that Sands is the no-brainer free safety pick some believe he is.

With all the blitzing spags does with his LBs doesnt he need someone that will play those deep zones well? If we want a physical saftey we can add a strong saftey that fits that mold (possibly next year). So dont wee neeed an atogwe type to suceed?
    I think if they needed/wanted an Atogwe-type safety, they would have made a better effort to resign Atogwe. Since Atogwe's release, we've read a number of articles that talked about how he wasn't a good fit for what Spags wanted at the position. So I think they'll be looking at another type of safety, rather than a more traditional center fielder type.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

We need some players in the secondary that can provide excellent coverage. Not all the time we can send in those blitz packages, especially when we're dealing with pass happy teams. Whenever we're 1st and 36, 2nd and 28, or 3rd and 18, we end up allowing opposing teams to make big plays. Deep threats should be INT-material, not big plays for opposing teams.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

You know Nick............you post stuff like that and get me feeling all tingly.

I would be beside myself, which is an interesting thought for draft day - when I am enjoying and embidding, with those picks.

My only real question is why Locke. Do you have any info on Da'Rel Scott (other than he doesn't play DT) or Bilal Powell. I like their size better and the speed is just fine.

Thoughts?
    Semper Fi!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Took another shot at a two-round NFL mock this weekend, and decided to mix in a full seven-round Rams mock as well. Overall I'm pretty pleased with how everything turned out. A couple of nice surprises across the league in the first two rounds, and I think the Rams mock addressed a number of their needs. Feedback is always appreciated!

ROUND ONE
    1. Carolina Panthers: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
    -With Nick Fairley and Da’Quan Bowers slipping slightly down draft boards, the Newton-to-Carolina pick is starting to pick up steam.

2. Denver Broncos: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
    -Peterson’s addition would give Denver one of the top pairs of CBs in the league, or could facilitate Champ Bailey’s transition to safety.

Broncos could draft a quarterback with the second pick (from The Redzone)

3/22/2011 10:22:38 AM

Despite the Broncos having drafted Tim Tebow in the first round of the 2010 NFL draft, the Broncos are considering a quarterback with the second pick according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post.

"This group is very talented," said John Elway, the Broncos' former quarterback who is running their football operations department. "It's very rare that you have three guys who are at least 6-4, 230 and run a 4.6."

Elway was speaking today at the NFL owners' meetings about Auburn's Cam Newton, Missouri's Blaine Gabbert and Nevada's Colin Kaepernick. All are considered athletic quarterbacks. Back in the day, Elway was described that way, too: An athletic quarterback with a cannon.

"I think sometimes your eyes migrate to the style you played," Elway said. "You don't have to be that way. You look at Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, the success they've had. But I think it's getting harder and harder to play that position and not have mobility."

The Broncos, who have the No. 2 pick, seem deep at quarterback with Kyle Orton, Tim Tebow, and Brady Quinn.

"We're always looking for that guy," Elway said, when asked specifically about the so-called "franchise quarterback of the future." "We may already have the guy who can pull the trigger and win us a championship someday. We may have him. We don't know. We believe in Tim but he's not there yet."

Probably just smoke and mirrors, but if the Broncos did surprise everyone and pick another quarterback, how might this affect the Rams if at all? Just curious on your take on this Nick ..

Also there is perhaps an even stronger possibility Cincinnati will take a quarterback at #4 instead of a wide receiver. It appears Palmer will not be playing for them in 2011. Even if the Bengals don't trade him, they'll still need a signal caller to replace him if Palmer sits for a season.

3/21/2011 7:48:51 PM (Also from The Redzone)

Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com reports despite Monday's report that the Dolphins are interested in trading for quarterback Carson Palmer, Bengals president Mike Brown offered his second strong public pronouncement that he has no plans to trade him.

But he offered no such pronouncement on wide receiver Chad Ochocinco, no doubt fueling speculation the Bengals' all-time leading receiver could be on the market when trades are allowed again.

"We aren't going to talk about that because there is no market," Brown said. "It's shuttered."

With Palmer telling the club he'll retire if he's not traded, Brown said the Bengals are also looking at the April 28-30 NFL draft, potential trades, and the current quarterbacks on the roster during an interview here at the NFL annual meetings with Bengals.com and The Cincinnati Enquirer.

"Carson is our principal option. ... We don't know how that is going to end up," Brown said. "It's a very big question to be answered. If answered right, our chances will be pretty good. We'll try to get it answered right ... I hope he comes back and plays the way he can play. I think he's a top quarterback. I haven't talked to any other team about him and I have no plans to trade him."

Conversely Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said this morning the Bengals need for quarterback is greater. Lewis said the team will take it's due diligence in looking at a quarterback with the fourth overall pick in the draft.

Owner Mike Brown on Monday indicated that he still intends to keep Palmer around. However, at the AFC coaches’ breakfast on Tuesday morning in New Orleans, coach Marvin Lewis continued to send strong signals that he’s moving on — and that Palmer is moving out.

Asked about whether the Bengals, who hold the fourth overall pick, have a greater need at receiver or quarterback, Lewis said (per Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer) that the greater need is at quarterback.

If this were happening with any team other than the Bengals, we’d suspect that it was an intentional good cop, bad cop routine aimed at keeping teams guessing about the organization’s true objectives.

When it comes to the Bengals, any strategic benefit is merely coincidental to the inherent dysfunction.

The reality is that, even if the Bengals plan to try to trade Palmer, the Bengals need to keep those drafting behind the Bengals in rounds one and two guessing, so that they won’t jump in front of them in order to draft the player that the Bengals truly covet with either the fourth overall pick or the 35th.

Thoughts on this?
    Last edited by MauiRam; -03-22-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Probably just smoke and mirrors, but if the Broncos did surprise everyone and pick another quarterback, how might this affect the Rams if at all? Just curious on your take on this Nick ..

Also there is perhaps an even stronger possibility Cincinnati will take a quarterback at #4 instead of a wide receiver. It appears Palmer will not be playing for them in 2011. Even if the Bengals don't trade him, they'll still need a signal caller to replace him if Palmer sits for a season.
    Denver has too many other needs, specifically on defense, to take a quarterback. Especially with Orton and Tebow on board. I'd be surprised if they went that route.

As for Cincy, I mentioned in their description that QB would get some consideration. And it may ultimately end up being the pick. The top of this draft is very fluid. I wouldn't be shocked to see only one QB taken in the top ten, but I also wouldn't be shocked to see two QBs gone in the Top 3. A lot could happen here. I'm hoping to have a new mock out this weekend that explores some other scenarios.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

If the first two picks of the draft for the Rams was Julio Jones and Bruce Carter I wouldn't mind even though Carter would not be my first choice. If we did go with those two then my prefered draft would look something like this.

1 Julio Jones WR 6’3 220 4.35 40 OR Aldon Smith DE 6’4 260 4.7 40
    2 Bruce Carter OLB 6’2 240 4.55 40
    3 Shane Vereen RB 5’10 205 4.5 40 (29 TDs in 38 G’s AVG near 100 yards per game last year)
    4 Deunta Williams FS 6’2 215 4.55 40
    5 Martin Parker DT 6’2 305 4.95 40
    6 Andrew Jackson G 6’5 300 5.3 40
    7 Darius Morris G 6’4 318 5.3 40 (Played RT last year and could be a sleeper pick)