Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's "This is way too early to be doing mock drafts!" First 2011 Mock Draft

Please keep in mind this is incredibly premature and early – not only will the draft order change quite a bit, but prospects will certainly shift as they finish the second half of the college football season and then enter into the offseason camps and workouts.

But for the time being, this is a fun projection as to what one could expect based on current circumstances. Enjoy!

ROUND ONE

1. Carolina Panthers: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
    -I think Carolina will win a few games and fall down the draft order a bit, but they currently have the top pick. Since a 2011 draft likely has a rookie wage scale, they won’t be afraid to use their pick on Green, who will help add talent to a struggling receiving corps.

2. Buffalo Bills: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
    -It’s certainly no guarantee that Luck comes out, but he’s enjoying a lot of buzz right now and seems to have passed Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett as the top quarterback on many lists. Buffalo’s quarterback situation is a revolving door.

3. San Francisco *****: Jake Locker, QB, Washington
    -Despite some ups and downs in 2010, Locker remains one of the top prospects in this class and his positional value will push him up draft boards. He’s been compared by some to former ***** quarterback Steve Young, and by the end of this season, the Alex Smith era will probably be over.

4. Detroit Lions: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
    -The Lions have upgraded their defensive front, but remain pretty weak in the secondary. Peterson is arguably the top eligible cornerback prospect in the draft and should give them an immediate impact player at the position.

5. Cleveland Browns: Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina
    -If teams can get beyond Quinn being declared ineligible for accepting improper benefits from agents, then his talent should still have him near the top of the class. He would bring outstanding pass rush ability to a Browns team in desperate need of it.

6. Dallas Cowboys: Marcell Dareus, DL, Alabama
    -Who would have thought the Cowboys would be staring a Top Six pick in the face? Dareus is a disruptive force on the defensive line, and would be a massive upgrade at the five-technique for Dallas’ 3-4 defensive front.

7. San Diego Chargers: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
    -Another surprising team currently projected in the top ten, San Diego looks like they’re pretty set on the offensive side of the ball. On defense, the 6’4” 285-pound Clayborn would give the Chargers a productive presence in a transitioning defensive line.

8. Denver Broncos: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
    -Champ Bailey is 32 years old and in a contract year. The Broncos may resign him with a limited deal, but a long-term replacement is needed. Amukamara would pair with last year’s fifth round pick Perrish Cox to be a great combo for the future.

9. New England Patriots (f/OAK): Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
    -The rich get richer as Oakland’s first round pick in this draft is held by New England due to the Richard Seymour trade. Replacing Seymour with some talented youth on the defensive line will be crucial for a Patriots defense in need of a boost.

10. Cincinnati Bengals: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
    -Very tempted to go Ryan Mallett here, but even though Carson Palmer has had a down season, I’m not sure if Cincinnati is ready to completely give up on him. In the meantime, a stud in the running game like Ingram could benefit the offense as well.

11. Minnesota Vikings: Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
    -Whereas Cincy decided to pass on Mallett, the Vikings may not have such a luxury. A big armed quarterback who can make all the throws, Mallett will have a ball throwing to targets like Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin, and perhaps Randy Moss.

12. St. Louis Rams: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
    -The Rams missed out on an opportunity to add A.J. Green to their roster, but get another exceptional receiving talent in Julio Jones. With Mark Clayton on one side and Jones on the other, the Rams’ offense could become very explosive.

13. Green Bay Packers: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
    -Starting cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Al Harris combine for 26 years of experience in the league. Both in their mid-30s, they don’t represent long-term solutions for Green Bay, and the depth behind them is bare. Enter a talented Longhorn by the name of Aaron Williams.

14. Washington Redskins: Jon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
    -The Redskins’ receiving situation is abysmal; Santana Moss really is not a top flight receiver anymore, and the options behind him leave much to be desired. Washington may prefer someone to fit their new 3-4 defense, but Panther WR Baldwin could be hard to pass up.

15. Jacksonville Jaguars: Rahim Moore, FS, UCLA
    -Former first round pick Reggie Nelson was a bust at safety, but that doesn’t mean Jacksonville shouldn’t go back to the well with Moore. His experience and ability in coverage should help improve a Jaguars pass defense that is currently among the worst in the league.

16. Kansas City Chiefs: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
    -The Chiefs could have gone with an offensive tackle in round one of last year’s draft, but instead took the playmaking Eric Berry at safety. This time around, they may find Boston College’s Anthony Castonzo as a tempting option to man their right side.

17. Arizona Cardinals: Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina
    -Through five games, no one on the Arizona Cardinals has more than two sacks. Pass rush help is needed, and Bruce Carter may be the answer. Carter is an exceptional athlete who could bulk up and learn behind veterans like Joey Porter before taking over.

18. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Allen Bailey, DE, Miami
    -The Buccaneers spent their first two picks on defensive tackles last year, but it hasn’t yet helped their miserable pass rush (4 sacks in five games). University of Miami stud Allen Bailey could continue to help that cause and give Tampa another young talent to build around.

19. Seattle Seahawks: Marcus Cannon, OL, TCU
    -2010 first round pick Russell Okung should be fine at the left tackle position, but Seattle could use some help shoring up the interior of their offensive line. Marcus Cannon is a massive offensive guard prospect who could step in quickly at left guard.

20. Miami Dolphins: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
    -Anthony Fasano has struggled to return to his 2008 form, and the Dolphins may be ready to move on and look for a new top tight end option. Could they return to Notre Dame to find his replacement? Rudolph is certainly talented enough to excel in the professional ranks.

21. New Orleans Saints: Travis Lewis, LB, Oklahoma
    -Current starters Scott Shanle and Jo-Lonn Dunbar (who?) are serviceable players but make few impact plays; newly acquired Clint Ingram is solid but on the PUP list. Lewis is an outstanding athlete with top notch instincts and should be an instant upgrade.

22. Chicago Bears: Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
    -If I was higher on the offensive line talent here, I might think about helping the Bears’ front five. But when a Mike Martz offense has only produced one touchdown by a wide receiver in six games, clearly some help is needed.

23. Baltimore Ravens: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
    -The Ravens’ personnel at cornerback could be named the Island of Misfit Toys, based on it being made up of cast-offs that other teams didn’t want. Certainly a young talent like Miami’s Brandon Harris would be a welcomed addition.

24. Atlanta Falcons: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
    -We’ve officially closed the case on Jamaal Anderson being a bust, right? The Falcons’ defense is improving, but they could use some more talent at defensive end. Enter Da’Quan Bowers, a good all-around player with a nose for the backfield (7.5 sacks in six games in 2010).

25. New York Giants: Stefen Wisniewski, C, Penn State
    -33-year-old Giants mainstay Shaun O’Hara has had trouble staying healthy this season, and Adam Koets probably isn’t the answer. Finding some stability along the offensive line is key for the Giants’ success, and hopefully Wisniewski is the man for the job.

26. Houston Texans: DeAndre McDaniel, SS, Clemson
    -Where McDaniel ends up being drafted may depend on how NFL teams feel about his off the field issues. But his versatility would be a great fit in Houston, where he could either take over at free safety or play strong safety, should Bernard Pollard elect to try free agency.

27. Indianapolis Colts: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
    -Following the team’s Super Bowl loss to the Saints, Colts general manager Bill Polian wasn’t the biggest fan of his team’s offensive line. Could it be time to upgrade? Carimi could spend a year learning behind Ryan Diem on the right side before taking over.

28. Tennessee Titans: Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA
    -Will Witherspoon has been a stud for the Titans since signing as a free agent, but at 30-years-old, he’s not a long-term solution. Gerald McRath may be one answer, but the Titans will need a second. Ayers offers a great combination of size and ability.

29. Pittsburgh Steelers: DeMarcus Love, OL, Arkansas
    -The youth movement on the Steelers offensive line started last year with Florida’s Maurkice Pouncey, and there’s a possibility it could continue in the 2011 draft. Arkansas’ Love is a big, versatile lineman who could be tried at guard or tackle.

30. New England Patriots: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
    -New England’s defense simply is not what it once was, and thought I have them addressing their front seven with their first pick (Cameron Heyward), I wouldn’t rule out them coming back to the well and taking a top rusher like Von Miller.

31. Philadelphia Eagles: Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
    -Asante Samuel and Ellis Hobbs are solid enough, but their long-term future with the team may not be completely secure. Behind them, the depth isn’t exactly inspiring. A young physical stud like Dowling would be a nice get at the bottom of round one.

32. New York Jets: Jerrell Powe, DT, Ole Miss
    -Nose guard Kris Jenkins is injured again, but says he plans to return to football in 2011. How effective he’ll be is another matter. Jerrell Powe is one of the top nose tackle prospects in this class and can clog the middle of the line as part of a rotation.

Whew! Hopefully I didn't leave anyone glaring off, it's been a couple months since I've had to do one of these things!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Nick's "This is way too early to be doing mock drafts!" First 2011 Mock Draft

Never too early for a Nick Mock....NEVER too early, brother.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: Nick's "This is way too early to be doing mock drafts!" First 2011 Mock Draft

Early? I have been expecting this four a couple weeks now

As one of the biggest advocates for Vincent Jackson, I'm not certain now that we need a number one wide receiver. Now I am going to give DX more than one game before I declare him the next Randy Moss (oh wait, no I didn't), but with a corp of Clayton, Avery, Ammendola, Danario, and Gilyard, I think Sam can make do, ala McNabb and his Misfits running our West Coast Philly offense to several NFC Championship games.

What I want, and this is coming from my Aaron Curry obsession a few years back, is a play maker at OLB. Someone who can run sideline to sideline to keep up with the speed backs we have had a bit of trouble containing. Considering I am projecting us to pick in the mid to late twenties, guys like Travis Lewis, Akeem Ayers, and Zac Brown stick out if they last that long.

Yup, we are talking about the NFL Draft in October.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Early? I have been expecting this four a couple weeks now

As one of the biggest advocates for Vincent Jackson, I'm not certain now that we need a number one wide receiver. Now I am going to give DX more than one game before I declare him the next Randy Moss (oh wait, no I didn't), but with a corp of Clayton, Avery, Ammendola, Danario, and Gilyard, I think Sam can make do, ala McNabb and his Misfits running our West Coast Philly offense to several NFC Championship games.

What I want, and this is coming from my Aaron Curry obsession a few years back, is a play maker at OLB. Someone who can run sideline to sideline to keep up with the speed backs we have had a bit of trouble containing. Considering I am projecting us to pick in the mid to late twenties, guys like Travis Lewis, Akeem Ayers, and Zac Brown stick out if they last that long.

Yup, we are talking about the NFL Draft in October.
    I would love to have Travis Lewis alongside James Laurinaitis. That linebacker unit would be frightening.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Juuuuuuuliiiioooo Jones! I'm really high on him and hope this situation pans out. He's the physical, won't-get-injured-immediately-after-stepping-on-the-field, type of receiver we need right now.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Work's fine for me.

"Seeing me and Julio down by the EJD."

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Work's fine for me.

"Seeing me and Julio down by the EJD."
    And when the radical priest come and get me released, we's all on the cover of.......the Post-Dispatch?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Nick Foles > Mallett or Locker at this point.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Hey Nick don't you think the lions will choose a o linemen this year? Since they have trouble keeping qb's upright and healthy.

And really eagles and jets superbowl? Also there is no way there will be all AFC teams from 26 to 30 due to the playoffs so order is off unless the nfc doesnt make the playoffs lol.

Other than that good list.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Would someone please close the windows I'm feeling a draft.

Thanks in advance...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Hey Nick don't you think the lions will choose a o linemen this year? Since they have trouble keeping qb's upright and healthy.
    I don't beleieve there's an offensive tackle valued high enough for the Lions to pick. Their personnel at CB leaves a lot to be desired, and they'll have their pick of two very good ones at the top of the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    And really eagles and jets superbowl? Also there is no way there will be all AFC teams from 26 to 30 due to the playoffs so order is off unless the nfc doesnt make the playoffs lol.

Other than that good list.
    The draft order is not my projection, it's the actual order of teams from worst to best record with strength of schedule as the tie-breaker. I take the order from Great Blue North Draft Report, which generates it after every weekend of games.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Ya I figured it wasn't your doing on the order. I was just saying that does have a major impact as to who gets who at what position.