Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

NickSeiler's 2005 First Round Mock Draft v1.1

NickSeiler's 2005 First-Round Mock Draft v1.1 - 1/24/05

1. San Francisco -- Aaron Rodgers, QB, California
    -The ***** will definitely try to trade down from this pick, because as of right now, there's no clear-cut number one selection in this draft. However, that's the exact problem that's going to make it hard to find people who want to move up here. Barring a trade, I think they take Rodgers, who I grade out as the best quarterback in the draft.

2. Miami -- Cedric Benson, RB, Texas
    -Miami will be looking to trade out of this slot and would probably have more success than San Francisco, but if they can't make it happen, I think they go with Benson here to shore up their running game. With Rodgers off the board, Saban will get a franchise back and address his offensive line in later rounds.

3. Cleveland -- Derrick Johnson, LB, Texas
    -The run defense in Cleveland has left a lot to be desired, and selecting Johnson here would be the first step to fixing that part of the defense. Johnson is one of the best linebacker prospects to come out in recent years, and would be a great pick for a team that's in need of help in their front seven.

4. Chicago -- Mike Williams, WR, USC
    -Even if David Terrell's arrest wasn't factored in, the Bears would benefit from having a receiver who could actually catch the ball and provide a solid target for up-and-coming quarterback Rex Grossman. Terrell's arrest after missing a court date only furthers the need to add some depth here.

5. Tampa Bay -- Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn
    -John Gruden wants a franchise running back who can both pound the ball on the ground and has the kind of hands to make receptions out of the backfield. Brown has that ability, and while some might grade Carnell Williams ahead of Brown on their board, Ronnie is a better fit for Tampa Bay and will be taken by the Bucs.

6. Tennessee -- Antrel Rolle, CB, Miami
    -The Titans will be looking to replace cornerback Samari Rolle with his cousin, Antrel. Samari could very well be one of the cap casualties for the Titans heading into 2005, as they are reportedly $23 million over the projected cap. Decisions will have to be made, and one of the easier ones will be drafting Rolle here.

7. Oakland -- Carnell Williams, RB, Auburn
    -With the two best defenders off the table, including the best outside linebacker, the Raiders don't have much of a decision here. They've been seeking a playmaking running back and, barring a trade to acquire someone like Michael Bennett, they'll get their man here in Carnell Williams.

8. Arizona -- Alex Smith, QB, Utah
    -Raise your hand if you think Josh McCown is a starting NFL quarterback. That's what I thought. Alex Smith has watched his stock rise the last week or so, especially after Matt Leinart elected to remain at USC for his senior season. Expect the Cardinals to go after Smith now that Rolle is off the board.

9. Washington -- Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin
    -The Redskins are in desperate need of a pass-rushing defensive lineman, and James fits the bill quite well. This pick hasn't changed since my v1.0 mock because I think it makes too much sense for Washington - clearly defensive end is a need, and they pick the cream of the crop in James.

10. Detroit -- Dan Cody, DE, Oklahoma
    -Like the Redskins, Detroit could use some help on the defensive line. Neither Cory Redding or Kalimba Edwards are enough of a force opposite of James Hall, but drafting someone like Cody in the first round would give Detroit a solid pass rusher who is always giving 100%.

11. Dallas -- Adam Jones, CB, West Virginia
    -The Cowboys really need some help in the secondary - who would have thought that losing Mario Edwards was going to hurt them? Pete Hunter isn't going to do much opposite of Terrence Newman, so adding one of the class' best cornerbacks to the roster is something the Cowboys will jump on.

12. San Diego (f/NYG) -- Marcus Spears, DE, L.S.U.
    -The Chargers had a very weak pass rush from their defensive line in 2004. Does the name Jacques Cesaire strike fear into your heart? Yeah, me neither. But Spears does, and he's a perfect fit in the Chargers' 3-4 defensive scheme. At this point in the draft, San Diego can't pass up on one of the best defensive ends.

13. Houston -- Thomas Davis, LB/S, Georgia
    -Kailee Wong wasn't incredibly effective as a pass rushing linebacker, and while Jammal Lord progressed enough at safety to earn a spot on the 53-man roster at season's end, I don't think the Texans can pass up a chance to get Davis, who could project as either a linebacker or a safety.

14. Carolina -- Alex Barron, OT, Florida State
    -Ah, the dream scenario for Carolina. After a complete wipe of their offensive line entering the season, the Panthers need some youth and some talent to help open some holes for their lead rusher and protect their quarterback. Alex Barron is this year's best tackle, and getting him here will be great value for the Panthers.

15. Kansas City -- Marlin Jackson, DB, Michigan
    -The Kansas City Chiefs were among the league's worst pass defenses in 2004. No one in their secondary played especially well, which is why adding a versatile defensive back in the first round is a no-brainer. Jackson has experience both as a cornerback and at safety, making him quite the valuable man for the Chiefs.

16. New Orleans -- Daryl Blackstock, LB, Virginia
    -Outside of Courtney Watson, what do the Saints have at linebacker? It's no secret they wanted to move on one last year in the draft, and now they get their chance to add a playmaker to their roster. Blackstock combines great pass rushing skills with excellent athletic ability - just what the Saints are looking for.

17. Cincinnati -- Anttaj Hawthorne, DT, Wisconsin
    -The Bengals need a big hole-plugger on their defensive line, and Hawthorne is the man for the job. At 305 pounds, he often commands double teams because of his ability to penetrate the line, and his ability to play the run is going to be praised in a division full of great running backs.

18. Minnesota -- Travis Johnson, DT, Florida State
    -Arguably the best defensive tackle on the board, Johnson will fall to Minnesota, and the Vikings will pounce on him. With Chris Hovan more than likely out the door, Johnson will become an immediate starter on the defensive line next to Kevin Williams, and will improve what looked to be a fairly poor defense.

19. St. Louis -- Jammal Brown, OT, Oklahoma
    -The banter between Kyle Turley and Mike Martz doesn't seem to be calming down, and at 240 pounds, Turley is no where near playing weight. Jammal Brown is this year's best right tackle prospect, and the Rams would benefit from adding a great overall offensive lineman to a unit that was destroyed by injuries.

20. Dallas (f/BUF) -- Shaun Cody, DL, USC
    -Marcellus Wiley has been a huge disappointment and the depth behind La'Roi Glover is virtually non-existent. Thus, the Cowboys will continue to address the defensive side of the ball with this pick by selecting DE/DT 'tweener Shaun Cody. The USC standout will provide very good depth on Dallas' defensive line, where talent is desperately needed.

21. Jacksonville -- David Pollack, DE, Georgia
    -Who are the starting defensive ends for the Jaguars? I challenge you to name them. Chances are you'll come up with someone that they've cut. Jacksonville will be ecstatic when Pollack falls to them at #21 considering how high some boards have him placed. He's a no-nonsense blue collar type of player that will make an immediate impact.

22. Baltimore -- Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan
    -If the Baltimore Ravens are missing one thing on offense, it's a receiver for Kyle Boller to heave the ball to. They've tried to bring players in, but none have really amounted to anything special. Insert Edwards, who would be the best receiver in this class if not for Mike Williams.

23. Seattle -- Channing Crowder, LB, Florida
    -After a solid start to the 2004 season, the Seattle Seahawks came crashing back down to Earth thanks to the realization that they don't have quality depth in their linebacker core. Crowder would fix that problem, and would become an immediate starter for them at the Mike position, making plays from sideline to sideline.

24. Green Bay -- Kevin Burnett, LB, Tennessee
    -Rumor has it the Packers may want to move Nick Barnett outside, but I don't see that happening when they could add a quality outside linebacker like Kevin Burnett to their roster. Burnett is an excellent athlete with good speed and quickness. He's good in coverage and will make plays when needed.

25. Denver -- Heath Miller, TE, Virginia
    -The Broncos have missed Shannon Sharpe since he retired, and if Miller falls this far, it will be a blessing for Denver. Miller could very easily go in the top fifteen picks, and I think the Broncos could pass on their need on the defensive line to take a player who would fill a large need on the offensive side of the ball.

26. New York Jets -- Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn
    -New York's defense is only a piece or two away from becoming very scary, and I believe Rogers could be one of those pieces. Donnie Abraham is looking at the possibility of a nickel role going into 2005, and the Jets need a playmaker to challenge for a starting spot. Insert Rogers, who has tremendous playmaking ability.

27. Atlanta -- Brodney Pool, S, Oklahoma
    -Is Cory Hall really a starting free safety in this league? On one of the best defenses of the season, Hall didn't come away with a single interception. He lacks instincts and needs to be replaced. Poole is probably the best free safety prospect in this draft, and will be a large upgrade in the secondary for Atlanta.

28. San Diego -- Mark Clayton, WR, Oklahoma
    -The Chargers used their first pick on a defensive player, and I think they'll make a move on the offensive side of the ball if Clayton is available here. It's somewhat amazing to think that Drew Brees had the kind of season he did without a legitimate receiver target until McCardell arrived. Clayton would give Brees another pair of hands to throw to.

29 Indianapolis -- Justin Miller, CB, Clemson
    -The Colts need help in the secondary. Nick Harper was injured at points during the season, and behind him, the Colts really don't have a lot of depth at cornerback. Justin Miller is a guy who could come in and challenge for a starting spot immediately because he's a playmaking defensive back with a nose for the ball, as well as a good return man.

30 Pittsburgh -- Brandon Browner, CB, Oregon State
    -How badly did the Steeler secondary get burned by Tom Brady and the New England Patriots? They basically kept Corey Dillon in check, but I bet Pittsburgh fans were tired of watching deep bombs be completed left and right. Browner is a physical prodigy for a cornerback. At 6'4", Browner won't find many receivers that he can't match up well with.

31 Philadelphia -- Roddy White, WR, U.A.B.
    -If you watched the Eagles/Falcons game, you saw that Philadelphia missed Terrell Owens. No Eagle wide receiver had more than two catches against the Falcons, and it's probably because they don't lend much confidence in their abilities. Adding White here could change that. He's a sleeper that has all the physical tools that an NFL receiver needs.

32 New England -- Odell Thurman, LB, Georgia
    -The Patriots aren't getting any younger at linebacker. While guys like Willie McGinest, Ted Bruschi, Ted Johnson, and Roman Phifer can still make plays when called upon, the Pats would benefit from adding some youth to their top-notch group. Thurman is a tough player who tackles well and has a lot of potential.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-24-2005 at 06:49 PM.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Re: NickSeiler's 2005 First Round Mock Draft v1.1

Alright, it's edited in!

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

The more I hear, the more I like Jammal Brown. I hadn't realized that he was a right tackle.

MartialRAM Guest

Re: Ignorant

How did the Rams get 19th after beating Seatle...did I miss something already?

Re: Ignorant

Their record is 8-8. Short of reaching the Super Bowl, they were cemented into the 19th pick. Although I believe that, had the Vikings beat the Eagles, they would have swapped places with the Rams in the draft order.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-25-2005 at 09:48 PM.

MartialRAM Guest

Re: ah ha...I am ignorant...

I thought it also accounted for making the post season.

theodus69 Guest

Someone posted that the Rams might take a running back. They need to change the turf for the sake of the whole team if not for Jackson. He's a great back but it could be short lived!

Great point, Theodus. I couldn't agree more.

elAcky Guest

Maybe the most sensible pick is to take Carlos Rogers... we get a starting corner... Maybe TF move to FS and we also get a kick returner. i.e. we kill 3 birds with one stone.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

What about a TE? With the rules committee forcing refs to call the illegal contact closely, the TE has become a major weapon. Alex Smith from Stanford is making waves at the Senior Bowl.

Smith would be good, but I doubt he's breached the first round unless he has a great combine.